PDA

View Full Version : 4ch to 3ch?

meegosh
10-11-2005, 11:23 PM
I am considering a Cessna 182 for another trainer to go with my slow stick. I have heard that I should get the model with out the aileron. Is there any way I could just get the 4ch version and disconnect the aileron, ie. center it with tape or something? Then once I get the concept of flight down, take the tape off? Is it as easy as disconnecting a servo or something like that? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance guys!

Slent thndr
10-12-2005, 01:32 AM
I'm not familiar with the Cessna 182 but I would guess that you could easily disable the ailerons if you wanted to. Disconnect the servos, tape the ailerons, you have the idea. But if you’ve been flying a Slow Stick then your probably ready for a real plane (with ailerons). Another 2-axis trainer might be an unnesisary baby step.

Just a thought

flyranger
10-12-2005, 03:45 AM
This may be a very bad idea! Ailerons work to turn the plane by causing rotation around the roll axis. Wings built with ailerons have very little (or sometimes no) dihedral. Wings built to turn with the rudder have much more dihedral. The yaw induced by the rudder causes one wing to travel slightly faster than the other, which causes more lift in that wing half which causes the change around the roll axis. Would be better to build two wings, one with little or no dihedral and ailerons and a second wing with lots of dihedral and no ailerons. Mountain Models has such a plane that you can put different wings on for either 3 or 4 channel flight.;)

meegosh
10-12-2005, 05:05 AM
I have not flown the SS, its being shipped as we speak. I just wanted a plane that is a little more stable in wind than the SS, based on the reviews I've read. I also wanted two complete planes with electronics so that one of my buddy's can tag along. I guess I can't disable the ailerons easily and I am not sure if I have the skills to build a new wing for it. Is it really that hard to learn with ailerons? I understand that it adds another axis to turn on but couldn't you just use them to help turn then flatten it out for cruising. I mean I won't be doing barrel rolls right out of the box but I don't want to have to buy another plane in two weeks because I want something more exciting than a SS.

Thanks again guys, you have all been very helpful! :)

flyranger
10-12-2005, 12:38 PM
I will be finishing the aileron wing for my slow stick today (was still waiting for the other servo). I have set up the radio Mode II (ailerons and elevator on right stick, throttle and rudder on left stick). The slow stick should make a good aileron trainer, because there is no ground wheel steering to get used to on the left stick. I followed a couple of threads by others that did this. One completely took out the dihedral (as I did) and one left the wing stock and just added the servos and the wiring. I let you know how the maiden flight went. Yes, this will be my first 4 channel plane.:o

Matt Kirsch
10-12-2005, 01:25 PM
What Cessna 182 are you talking about, by the way? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it will do nothing for you at this stage of learning except disappoint and discourage. Most scale planes are like that in the early stages of learning. They have bad habits that tend to trap people with little to no flying experience. You crash, get mad and disgusted, and quit. We don't want that. Stick with the Slow Stick. Contrary to what you've heard, it's no more sensitive to wind than any other plane in its size/weight range. The only way to get a plane that's less sensitive to wind is to go bigger, much bigger or faster, much faster.

Ailerons are nothing to be afraid of when you get to that stage. A well-designed rudder plane like the Slow Stick behaves very similarly to most sport planes with ailerons: You bank the plane, and pull up elevator to bring the plane around... In fact, with enough rudder throw and altitude, you can roll the Slow Stick.

meegosh
10-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Well I guess I am just going to stick with the slow stick. My buddy can just watch me fly! :D flyranger, where did you get your new wing for the aileron mod? I have read an article about how to do it but I was just wondering where you get the spare wing to use. Thanks in advance, looks like I'll just get the SS and put ailerons on it later whenever I feel ready. :eek:

Thanks again guys!

Slent thndr
10-12-2005, 03:56 PM
I agree, stay with the SS if you want more training. Better to buy a 2 axis plane and then put ailerons on it then to buy a 3 axis plane and take out the ailerons. If the plane is designed around them then trying to fly without them would probably be just what you dont need as a new pilot.

Nitro Blast
10-12-2005, 09:41 PM
I agree on the flight charcteristics. I have the Great Planes Cessna, and it has really taught me scale flying. Not something that I'd want to fly without ailerons.