PDA

View Full Version : Hangar 9 Twist

jonnyjetprop
10-12-2005, 02:48 AM
I thought I'd share my conversion of the Hangar 9 Twist. It started out with a Astroflight 05 brushless geared motor running on a 3s pack. It flew but not great. I swapped it out for an Astroflight 40G brushless running at first on a Tantic 5s2p 4400 pack. The flew much better, but the prop was not matched with the motor. I needed either a bigger prop or to go with a 6s pack. The current setup is two 3s2p TP gen 2 packs run in series to give 6s2p. The prop is an APC 15x10 eprop. I flew this just before a prolonged trip to Atlanta. The elevator servo stripped, so it was replaced and the plane flown today. I'm very happy with the power level now. High winds forced my to stop after a single flight today.

John

StephenT
12-14-2005, 05:54 PM
I like the plane but not the color scheme

StephenT

Matt Kirsch
12-16-2005, 05:16 PM
This is a nice example of the effects of voltage on an electric power system. Yeah, I would guess some of you are saying, "but he put a bigger motor on there." That just makes my job of proving my point more challenging :)

Power is Watts, and Watts is Volts times Amps. He doubled the Volts, presumably keeping the Amps close to the same. A little algebra, and you discover that twice as many Volts equals twice as much power.

qban_flyer
12-16-2005, 09:33 PM
I thought I'd share my conversion of the Hangar 9 Twist. It started out with a Astroflight 05 brushless geared motor running on a 3s pack. It flew but not great. I swapped it out for an Astroflight 40G brushless running at first on a Tantic 5s2p 4400 pack. The flew much better, but the prop was not matched with the motor. I needed either a bigger prop or to go with a 6s pack. The current setup is two 3s2p TP gen 2 packs run in series to give 6s2p. The prop is an APC 15x10 eprop. I flew this just before a prolonged trip to Atlanta. The elevator servo stripped, so it was replaced and the plane flown today. I'm very happy with the power level now. High winds forced my to stop after a single flight today.

John

I like the way you mounted your motor/gearbox assembly. I have had a Twist for over one year now, not knowing what kind of conversion to follow as I didn't like what they suggested in their manual, it's beeen sitting there gathering dust.

After seeing your photos, I'll mount an E-Flite 46 outrunner in a similar way as you have mounted your power plant.

Good looking bird and conversion! :)

jonnyjetprop
12-19-2005, 07:29 PM
I like the plane but not the color scheme

StephenT

I like the "plug and play" one better myself.

John

jonnyjetprop
12-19-2005, 07:48 PM
This is a nice example of the effects of voltage on an electric power system. Yeah, I would guess some of you are saying, "but he put a bigger motor on there." That just makes my job of proving my point more challenging :)

Power is Watts, and Watts is Volts times Amps. He doubled the Volts, presumably keeping the Amps close to the same. A little algebra, and you discover that twice as many Volts equals twice as much power.

Couldn't have said it any better. Double the voltage, double the fun:D

John

StephenT
12-20-2005, 01:01 PM
yes the p&p one has a nice scheme

StephenT

Kapn Kaos
12-20-2005, 05:47 PM
I fly a Twist all the time. It's powered by a plain bearing OS .40. (sorry) I have over 130 flights on it. Balanced properly it will not land in a 20 mph wind. I like to fly it in the breezy Florida conditions. It's a riot to try for landing roll-outs less than 3 feet long.

qban_flyer
12-20-2005, 05:59 PM
I fly a Twist all the time. It's powered by a plain bearing OS .40. (sorry) I have over 130 flights on it. Balanced properly it will not land in a 20 mph wind. I like to fly it in the breezy Florida conditions. It's a riot to try for landing roll-outs less than 3 feet long.

It is as nice a flyer as the Pizazz it replaces, and though the color scheme is not as flashy as that of the Pizazz, it is a very nice and visible one. A great flying machine.:)

Rugar
12-20-2005, 06:06 PM
It is as nice a flyer as the Pizazz it replaces, and though the color scheme is not as flashy as that of the Pizazz, it is a very nice and visible one. A great flying machine.:)

Personally, I like that Purple and Yellow color scheme.:o

Kapn Kaos
12-21-2005, 12:49 AM
Yeah, the purple and yellow wouldn't be my first choice but, it's a hard one to loose!

qban_flyer
12-21-2005, 02:55 AM
I had a Saito 72 powered Pizazz before I got the Twist.

At first I was put off by its color scheme, but I soon realized the Twist was more visible than the Pizazz had ever been and its wing is removable, not fixed as on the Pizazz.:)

Kapn Kaos
12-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I just finished rebuilding the left airleron. It developed a really bad warp. Now the bottom of that panel is white. It was either that or blue or orange. It came out perfectly straight. The warp was such that to trim out any in-flight roll, the airlerons drooped. It made it a little more tricky to land as I had to constantly mind the elevator. It also tended to sink during normal flight. I can't wait to try it now that all should straight.

max42
12-27-2005, 04:44 PM
I also have a e-flite 46 that I intend to use on my Twist, can you show more details on the mount?

thanks

jonnyjetprop
12-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Sorry, that's the best picture I have at this time. It's a piece of 1/8 birch ply and some pieces of spruce square stock to renforce the glue joint. Be sure to sand the inside of the cheeks for a better glue joint.

John