PDA

View Full Version : Alfa Models Warbirds...Advice?

toxdoc
10-12-2005, 10:49 PM
Searching through all the various threads I get bits and pieces, but would appreciate hearing from some "old hands" re: impressions on any of the Alfa Models: Corsair, F-86, MIG, Jug...etc?
Certainly looking at them and the videos, they appear to have some great looking planes and seem to fly well, esp with brusless set ups...

Thanks

WWI Ace
10-12-2005, 11:45 PM
I have been flying the all blue Corsair for well over a year. It has the red MP Jet outrunner, Jeti 18amp ESC, TP 1320mah 3 cell lipoly, and a 8x6 prop. I used to fly it with a TP 1320mah 2 cell lipoly and a 9x6 prop. Flies alot slower with the 2 cell setup but still has good power. When I went to the 3 cell setup it gained power!! It has pretty much unlimited vertical and flies close to 60mph at full throttle!! But it still slows really well for landings. I bought the P-47 "Chowhound" for the Corsairs replacement but it just keeps flying!!! It has a few scrapes under the wings now but you don't notice it in the air!! This airplane always impresses everyone who sees it fly. Including the "glow" guys!!! They are a little expensive but they are good planes and they fly very well. Hope this helps!! Steve.

toxdoc
10-13-2005, 12:03 AM
Outstanding info Ace! Appreciate your quick reply. I'd been thinking about starting on the Corsair, and your advice on the powerplant will be most helpful. If there are others with some "dope" on the various other offerings, I'd be happy to learn that as well. I know I'll probably do the F-86 build this winter, if for no other reason than my dad flew them back "then"!....he and I share a love for all the fighters! Steve

watt_the?!
10-13-2005, 01:03 AM
they fly fine on the stock setups also.

id go for the Lavochkin next if i had the money.

do a search for the corsair video i posted....flies like a warbird.

Tim.

toxdoc
10-13-2005, 02:18 AM
Have any of you all found need to add rudder to these Alfa's? From what I can see of the videos, they don't seem to suffer the lack...much.
Steve

WWI Ace
10-13-2005, 11:25 PM
My feeling is that unless it's a 3-D plane or has landing gear, there is really no need to have a RUDDER. I haven't missed it at all on the Corsair and feel that the added weight of the extra servo isn't worth it. Steve.

Wolfewind
10-14-2005, 01:59 AM
I have two opinions on this ......

I have seen many Alfa Warbirds fly - though I have not flown one myself. I have flown every GWS Warbird. For the price of an Alpha, you can practially get a GWS Slope Glide, a brushless motor and a speed control. Therefore, I would not buy an Alpha - especially if it is your first warbird. First warbirds lead very hard lives.

Second opinionis that everything should have a rudder and a steerable tailwheel. YOu can fly them without a rudder, but you are teaching yourself bad habits that will be hard to overcome later when you want to start doing maneuvers that require mixing in some rudder with your elevators.

You will never learn to really land properly in a crosswind without a rudder.

Nitro Blast
10-14-2005, 11:44 PM
I have been flying the all blue Corsair for well over a year. It has the red MP Jet outrunner, Jeti 18amp ESC, TP 1320mah 3 cell lipoly, and a 8x6 prop. I used to fly it with a TP 1320mah 2 cell lipoly and a 9x6 prop. Flies alot slower with the 2 cell setup but still has good power. When I went to the 3 cell setup it gained power!! It has pretty much unlimited vertical and flies close to 60mph at full throttle!! But it still slows really well for landings. I bought the P-47 "Chowhound" for the Corsairs replacement but it just keeps flying!!! It has a few scrapes under the wings now but you don't notice it in the air!! This airplane always impresses everyone who sees it fly. Including the "glow" guys!!! They are a little expensive but they are good planes and they fly very well. Hope this helps!! Steve.

My Corsair is nearly identical except I use 3 cel li-poly. It is a real treat to fly!

tashley
10-15-2005, 10:14 PM
My thoughts are that they are a little overpriced and just a little tender construction wise but they do look great and fly lights out. My first was the Lavochkin LA-7 and it flew like a dream. I do advocate adding rudder for the simple reason that although you can fly these birds on aileron and elevator you'll be missing another dimension of flying by not having rudder. Adding rudder is super easy as Alfa includes a servo cut out for it with no huge weight penalty with adding one more micro servo.
I also have an F-86 D/F that I'm constructing now and a P-51 B model that's on the way.
BTW, I'm using an MP Jet motor/gearbox combo with an APC 9-6 and 6c Etechs and get about thirteen to fifteen minutes at cruise or about ten minutes at war power. I think this motor/gearbox/prop is a perfect combination for these models and it really scoots when you pour the coal to her. The plane in the pic shown below is for sale in case your interested.

watt_the?!
10-15-2005, 10:32 PM
love the lav!

jamarca
10-18-2005, 07:09 PM
My experience is with the ALFA P-51 and in general I love it. I first flew it with the recommended Graupner ferrite 300 motor and gearbox, but although this arrangment is cheap and has plenty of power, the plastic gear broke very quickly (mabe 10 flights). So I replaced the motor for a PJS 550E outrunner with the corresponding JETI ESC and a 3S 910 mah LIPO battery and besides having performance improve substantially, there is no more problem with stripped gears. You have to be aware of two things: The airplane is d-e-l-i-c-a-t-e!!!! Make sure you land on a nice patch of grass as it gets nicked and dinged very easily. The other thing is that because of the way the ailerons are hooked up, they don't go back to neutral by just neutralizing the stick. I think there is too much slop and friction in the cable system, so you must constantly correct to get back to neutral. Otherwise it's a lot of fun to fly and the scale outline and looks are superb. Mine doesn't have a working rudder, and you can still have a lot of fun, it'll loop & roll to your hearts content, but if I were to do it over I think I would give it a working rudder and I'm sure it'll do everything in the book; probably even hover given a big enough motor.

Hope this helps you in your decision.

Regards,

Javier

tashley
10-19-2005, 03:40 AM
Yipee! Just got my "B" model in. Man this thing looks sweet, and fast!
I'll be putting the same old MP Jet geared brushless that I had in my Lavochkin in her. The Lav really scooted so the Stang should be even faster. Dude, I'm excited, been waiting on this one for months.

Bigfoot21075
10-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi Everyone!

I thought I would post this after seeing some others with the same problem. I got he Alfa p-47 Chow Hound with the reccomended brushless motor setup (MJ20202 AC 28/7-35D BRUSHLESS MOTOR) the blue one. The build seemed to go fine, the COG was right on with the battery in place. Took it for the maiden - I launched it at around 3/4 throttle with a little right stick to compensate for torque, this thing was almost totally uncontrollable, I was lucky to get it back on the ground in one piece! It was all over the place, left and right - could not bring it under control.

A week later, I went back through the plane and made sure everything was secure and working correctly, I even swapped out recievers with one from another plane just in case I was getting glitches. Took it to the double ball field near where I live, gave it 3/4, held the ailerons to the right and gave it a toss, it went like heck, I tried to compensate - but it was totally uncontrollable again. This time I was not so lucky, it was fatal - I am not sure if it is just too over powered or if the way I had the servo mounted (the HS 55 aileron servo is mounted inside of the wing and both control wires go through a single dobro type of connector. Could this be causing my crazy handling?

I know I am far from an ace in the sky, but I can fly. Any thoughts?

tashley
10-24-2005, 02:09 PM
I experienced a similar problem the first time I chunked my Lavochkin. Pegged the throttle and gave her a toss and almost lost it due to torque.
Although the model trimmed out well for flight it needed full right rudder , I made my rudder workable, to get a straight launch. I found that any thing less than full throttle to get it to flying speed made the torque problem worse. One tip, make sure that the aileron travel on yours is set up correctly.

Nitro Blast
10-25-2005, 04:40 AM
Wow... somethings gotta be wierd.... I have been flying the Corsair and have not had any issues like that. This last weekend I flew another buddies Chow Hound and it too was a dream. Nothing twitchy about it.

My launch method is odd too maybe... I hold the model with my left hand from above and kinda under hand it near vertical. The torque causes a slight left turn but with this launch method, I'm under control before I need to worry about any odd flight problems.

With my corsair, I have 1mm of aileron trim 'up' on both sides to create some false 'washout'. The plane is a dream to fly and makes me look real good.

Fighterpilot
10-25-2005, 05:46 AM
I have to agree with Nitro Blast. I've been flying the Alpha Corsair and the Nakajima Frank for about a year now and they have been flawless performers. On the maiden flight, I usually have a friend launch the airplane; however, after it is trimmed out, I have no problem launching with my right hand then reaching down to control the aircraft with my right hand on the stick. I use about 3/4 power and launch with a slightly right wing down attitude. I have never had an Alpha model fly squirrelly or out of control. They track like a much larger airplane in windy conditions and are nothing but fun to fly. They are more forgiving than I thought they would ever be. I've been into 1/4 scale and 1/5 scale warbirds for 11 years and these are my first two electric airplanes. I have been impressed and have never had more bang for the buck than flying these little warbirds.
I been using the 3 cell Lipo 1320mah batteries with the Blue Jet Outrunner motor spinning a 9x6SF prop. This is a great combination as I can get at least two 13 min. flights off of one battery charge. Really after about 10 min. I'm ready to land anyway. I just unplug the battery, go fly the other airplane with a fresh battery. When I'm done with the second one, I go fly the first plane/battery combination again and fly for another 10 or so minutes. Batteries never seem to overheat and performance on both flights is fantastic. This combination will take the airplanes verticle as far as you can see them.

Bigfoot21075
10-25-2005, 10:41 AM
Someone suggested this and I looked - sure enough. I connected both aileron wires through the single DoBro Connector on the wing mounted servo. BUT I did not have the little white tubes that go over the wires, the screw is tight as can be, but the wire for the left side aileron slips like crazy! No wonder this thing did not fly - it only had one aileron working.:mad:

Time for a new Alfa...

tashley
10-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Glad you found the problem. The tube is really needed to properly pinch the small pushrod wires especially on the ailerons.
I'm curious to see how my new "B" model Mustang does on launch. As I stated above, although the Lavochkin torqued pretty nasty on launch once up to flying speed it tracked like a dream. If there is anyone out there flying an Alfa warbird with a similar quirk please weigh in.

yorcram
10-25-2005, 03:33 PM
I have the Alfa 190. I launch at ~3/4 power, I havn't had problems with the torque. The wing dips left a bit and that is all.
I didn't use the plastic tube on mine. I replace the screw with a slightly longer one and I was able to secure the two control wires.
I am thinking of adding rudder to mine to make landing in breezy crosswinds a little easier. Also, to remove the rollout at the top of big lazy loops.

mpjet blue outrunner
jeti 18a esc
1500ma pack
APC 9x6e prop

cheers,

tashley
10-25-2005, 03:41 PM
yorcram, you'll love it with rudder. Big lazy loops are what these models excell at and snaps and spins are also more fun with rudder.

yorcram
10-28-2005, 05:37 AM
Hi Tom,
I'm hoping the rudder will add maneuvers to the alfa 190. It does look nice on the slow flybys but a little zip to some maneuvers is always nice too, plus it is a great way to loose a spit on your 6.

Cheers,
Marc

qban_flyer
10-28-2005, 07:05 AM
I have flown the Corsair with stock motors and B/L set ups. The B/L set up makes it feel as if was tracking on rails. Quite a nice performer either way, and worth every penny the admission price.

One more thing. The rudder was left stationary.

tashley
10-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Hi Tom,
I'm hoping the rudder will add maneuvers to the alfa 190. It does look nice on the slow flybys but a little zip to some maneuvers is always nice too, plus it is a great way to loose a spit on your 6.

Cheers,
Marc
You'll like it. I'm doing a "B" model Mustang right now so I'll post some pictures and a description of how I did mine. This will be the second Alfa I've done the rudder mod on and this one is turning out real nice.

E-Challenged
11-04-2005, 07:54 PM
There was a sad thread on the FS P-40 on E-Zone ( Also sold by Hobby Lobby). The builder, an experienced flyer, just couldn't control the thing and wound up with a heap of irrepairable foam after a number of attempts at flight. The consenus was that the FS and some other brands of P-40 model are not easy to set up and get flying properly, instability and hard to control in roll axis , culprit is apparently torque and scale sized fin/rudder versus front fuselage side area (???) Even the great designer, flier, Pat Tritle said he had trouble flying this one. Naturally, a few responded saying that they had no unusual problems as long as it was balanced properly and sufficient airspeed was kept up. I have watched the Alfa P47, and FW-190 and others in the series fly very well. The are light for their size although these were set up and flown with sufficient power by experienced fliers. I am enjoying my much modified brushless powered GWS Zero but it probably would not have flown well without wing incidence and thrust angle mods etc. that I read about on E-Zone in the GWS Vendor section.

qban_flyer
11-04-2005, 11:48 PM
There was a sad thread on the FS P-40 on E-Zone ( Also sold by Hobby Lobby). The builder, an experienced flyer, just couldn't control the thing and wound up with a heap of irrepairable foam after a number of attempts at flight. The consenus was that the FS and some other brands of P-40 model are not easy to set up and get flying properly, instability and hard to control in roll axis , culprit is apparently torque and scale sized fin/rudder versus front fuselage side area (???) Even the great designer, flier, Pat Tritle said he had trouble flying this one. Naturally, a few responded saying that they had no unusual problems as long as it was balanced properly and sufficient airspeed was kept up. I have watched the Alfa P47, and FW-190 and others in the series fly very well. The are light for their size although these were set up and flown with sufficient power by experienced fliers. I am enjoying my much modified brushless powered GWS Zero but it probably would not have flown well without wing incidence and thrust angle mods etc. that I read about on E-Zone in the GWS Vendor section.

A friend of mine has the Corsair. He is a stickler for perfection, especially when it comes to balancing his models. Either he balances them right on the money or slightly forward of CG.

That Corsair flies and handles superbly, lands as softly as a kitten on a feather pillow! :D

I know for a fact that a tail heavy model (any brand, any kind, any type) will be hard to control. Add the scale factor to it and you had better balance them right on the money, or else take a vacum cleaner with you to recover every piece of it when you attempt to fly it.

Seen many a Styro Bipe end up in a pile of foam because the flyer was afraid to add "more" weight to the model.

Fighterpilot
11-06-2005, 07:46 PM
I've flown the Alpha Corsair, Alpha P-47, Alpha Nakajima, and the Alpha FW190, all have been fantastic fliers with no bad habits at all. Landing any of the Alpha models mentioned above has not been a problem and the little airplanes track straight and true in almost any flying conditions and set up for landings with a nice rate of descent that presents no problems in touching down slowly and smoothly.
I'd reccommend any of the Alpha Models for the average to above average flier.

qban_flyer
11-07-2005, 12:32 AM

Only change made to my GWS Zero was to replace its power plant and propeller. Mine now flies with one from a now defunct Great Planes Flatana "Flat Out" spinning a 9X3.8SF APC propeller. It now flies superbly. Where as before it seemed to be on the verge of a stall all the time, now it ROGs, flies inverted, rolls and loops from level flight.

Photo below finds it flying overhead at the Fulton R/C Aerodrome. Notice that I had not put its landing gear back on yet. It was useless dead weight before I changed the power plant, so it was removed. I put it back on when I found how much more powerfull the G/P set up was, so on its second outing to the field yesterday, found it sporting its landing gear and flying like a model should.

I have to say that GWS has rendered a great service to R/C flying by releasing so many good looking flying models at such great prices. I have a notion they have been instrumental in bringing other manufacturers model's price downs from the stratosphere back down to earth.

Same goes for Skatty Motors made in China. They are forcing many other outrunner "manufacturers" to rethink their pricing schedules. Skatty motors are found under the brand names Esskay and Aurora among the long list out there. If they look like an Aurora or Esskay, they were made by Skatty in China. Many inexpensive ESCs for brushless are also made in China. They are superb performers and their prices can't be beat!