PDA

View Full Version : cell phone charger

trey3670
10-13-2005, 05:02 AM
ok dont flame me please! I am trying to understand these lipo batts and i dont quite get it. I think I know the answer and even the reason,but why couldnt you modify a c-phone charger to work on them?

supi7
10-13-2005, 05:40 AM
I have seen people use them for 2S packs, but cell phone chargers will be S L O O O O O O W and most can only be used on single cells (there's only one 3.6V or 3.7V battery in your cell phone)

Dan

Matt Kirsch
10-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Plus, most cell phone chargers are designed to work with the protection circuitry that's built into your cell phone and/or its battery. In most cases, they're just simple unregulated wall-wart power supplies. Unless you're good with electronics and a soldering iron, I wouldn't attempt it considering the real potential for fire if something gets mucked up.

ForestCam
10-13-2005, 08:11 PM
Plus, most cell phone chargers are designed to work with the protection circuitry that's built into your cell phone and/or its battery. In most cases, they're just simple unregulated wall-wart power supplies. Unless you're good with electronics and a soldering iron, I wouldn't attempt it considering the real potential for fire if something gets mucked up.

Same way with chargers for camcorders. My camcorder "charger" puts out 8.4 V at 1.5 amp for a 7.4 1300 mw Li-ion battery pack. I think I'd have a bit of a problem if I tried charging the battery directly off the adapter.:eek:

Although going though the camcorder it does charge the battery in about 30 minutes... hmmm....:D

GeraldRosebery
10-17-2005, 01:31 AM
ok dont flame me please! I am trying to understand these lipo batts and i dont quite get it. I think I know the answer and even the reason,but why couldnt you modify a c-phone charger to work on them?

Unless you really WANT a house fire, don't play games with LiPo chargers. Buy one that is suited to the task. They really aren't very expensive (compared to the LiPo's anyway.)

trey3670
10-17-2005, 01:45 AM
well thats sound advice,I am looking at a triton,seems to be a pretty good choice

Matt Kirsch
10-17-2005, 02:51 AM
Just be aware that a Triton is a multipurpose charger. It can do them all, and if you try to charge a LiPoly with the wrong program... You could very well end up with a real problem on your hands, or at least a ruined battery.

All this means is that you have to be extra-extra-extra careful, as opposed to just extra-extra careful with LiPoly batteries and chargers. Please note that that doesn't mean you have to handle them like little bombs ready to go off. Like bumblebees, they don't bite unless bitten. Treat them with respect and care, and you can use them with confidence.

To add to what Gerry said, a LiPoly charger that's suited to the task is not very expensive compared to the cost of a few ruined packs, or a fire caused by trying to charge using a cobbled-up rig.