PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a warbird from Hobby Lobby?

Jeremy Z
10-13-2005, 05:13 AM
I'm curious if they're satisfyingly quick?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/warbirds.htm

I don't expect jet or ducted-fan speeds, but they should be much faster than trainers...

The Corsair is especially tasty...

Jeremy

cagey
10-14-2005, 03:37 AM
i have the hobby lobby p 38. it is the one that has fiberglass fuse and built up wings. it has 48 w/s. i have 16/15/5 electric notors. 4200 lipo batt
3 cell. flys fast and predictable. no bad habits

Nitro Blast
10-14-2005, 04:03 PM
I have that Corsair.

MP Jet outrunner, Castle 25 amp, and unlimited vertical on a 1275mah 3 cell.

Damn nice plane too!

I'm looking at the Mustang, and the P-47 D next

Jeremy Z
10-14-2005, 06:34 PM
I have that Corsair.

Damn nice plane too!

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

One question: How do you land it without breaking the prop? It doesn't appear to have landing gear. Is there some method by which the prop stays horizontal when you cut the throttle off?

Nitro Blast
10-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Beautiful. Just beautiful.

One question: How do you land it without breaking the prop? It doesn't appear to have landing gear. Is there some method by which the prop stays horizontal when you cut the throttle off?
Nothing special here... I have tried to fly with the brake off, and even then I only broke 1 prop after months of flying. Recently I turned the brake on, and still, no broken props. Just lucky I guesss. Now the bottom pg the plane is a different story having to land on a dirt runway most of the time....

WWI Ace
10-15-2005, 02:20 AM
The Corsair on the red MP Jet outrunner and a 3cell lipoly is all the warbird excitment you'll need!!!

Big_Bird
10-20-2005, 07:14 PM
I have that Corsair.

Damn nice plane too!

I'm looking at the Mustang, and the P-47 D next
What prop are you using? What brand Li-poly?

Ken

Nitro Blast
10-22-2005, 12:48 AM
What prop are you using? What brand Li-poly?

Ken
I have been using 2 different batteries (2 of each type) . First pack was a pack from Dymond Modelsport (I live a mile away) a 3 cell 1250's supposed to be 8C. It was real fun on those batteries until I put in a Kokam 3 cell 1275's and the plane went ballistic.

I still fly on both battery packs, but the Kokam's turn it into an air superiority killer.

Prop is a 9/6 APC E I use a 9/7 sometimes if I have to for a spare.

Big_Bird
10-22-2005, 01:56 AM
I have been using 2 different batteries (2 of each type) . First pack was a pack from Dymond Modelsport (I live a mile away) a 3 cell 1250's supposed to be 8C. It was real fun on those batteries until I put in a Kokam 3 cell 1275's and the plane went ballistic.

I still fly on both battery packs, but the Kokam's turn it into an air superiority killer.

Prop is a 9/6 APC E I use a 9/7 sometimes if I have to for a spare.
Good answers. Do you use the long or the short prop adaptor? Is your rudder fixed? How much flying time do you usually get on the 3 cell 1275 lipo? What charger do you use for the lipo?

Thanks

Nitro Blast
10-25-2005, 04:29 AM
Good answers. Do you use the long or the short prop adaptor? Is your rudder fixed? How much flying time do you usually get on the 3 cell 1275 lipo? What charger do you use for the lipo?

Thanks

I have two Triton chargers and a Thunder Power charger as a spare (only used the Triton's so far). I can easily get 15 minute flights on either type pack. Short prop adaptor. Fixed rudder because I'm lazy and dont need rudder on a small type flier that has no gear. I'm proficcient enuf on a 3 channel plane for plenty of fun. I cant say enuf about how good these birds fly. I've just flown the 'chow hound' and am going to get one.

Jason T
10-25-2005, 05:26 PM
Guys, I have decided to move this thread to the Warbird forum as I think it will get more attention there since it deals with Warbirds.

Jason

tashley
10-26-2005, 12:40 PM
I have the Lavochkin LA-7 and am finishing up the F-86 and a P-51B model. The Lav flys like a dream with an MP Jet geared motor. Plenty fast and tracks true. I added a workable rudder on mine and the extra work is well worth it.

cagey
10-27-2005, 12:57 PM
on my p 38 i am running 6/4 apc e props .the battery is a thunder power 3 cell 4200 pack. not sure how long it will go i useually fly 5 minutes and it takes 1200 or 1300 to bring back to full charge status

yorcram
10-28-2005, 06:00 AM
Hi,
My LHS orders from hobbyLobby for the same approximate price that I can get from Hobbylobby so I go through them, (also to support the local guy) and I have it within 2 weeks . I suspect you should have the same from direct.
I don't use the brake function so that the prop can windmill 'out of the way' of the ground on landings. (no broken props yet.)

I alsio use kokam1500ma Lipo's charged on the Hobbico quick charge2. It does not charge to full capacity but then, no over charges. I have not timed properly but i do know that on mixed throttle on the MPjet 'blue' outrunner I get about 13-15 min flights.

cheers,
Marc

Cheers,
Marc

tashley
10-28-2005, 12:27 PM
The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.:D

Now that's funny.

shakin
11-11-2005, 01:45 PM
That is funny, I don't care who you are thats funny. I have an alfa focke wolf with a red mp jet using a TP 1320 3 CELL 9/6 SLO FLY PROP and I ABSOLUTELY Love this airplane, I had the corsair before this one with the same setup and got shot down at a flyin. I am interested in the p38 on hobby lobby site. All feedback is most appreciated.

locolobot
12-06-2005, 11:46 AM
I have a cosair but it is a build from an Ace simple kit. Powered with A hacker A20-22m and a phoenix X-20 esc. Flies like it was on rails. too fast for me at times. I even installed landing gear on it and have not broken a prop yet. Using a thunder power 2200 lipo battery and getting lots of flight time.

tommytorino
12-08-2005, 03:54 AM
Anyone got a warbird from Hobby Lobby?

You might say I have a problem with warbirds! :D

Twmaster
12-08-2005, 04:03 AM
Tommy,

It seems the problem you have is -not- enough Warbirds! ;)

tashley
12-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Problem, you got no stinking problem. If you had one at all it would be the same as mine, not enough hours in a day and not enough days in the week.:D

yorcram
12-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Must be nice to have that many, I have 1. (not including by 1 glow powered model that has collected a lot of dust!)

Cheers,

tashley
12-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Here's my latest, a B model. I love it, it's fast and it grooves like there's no tomorrow.

edit: pic added

Big_Bird
12-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Here's my latest, a B model. I love it, it's fast and it grooves like there's no tomorrow.
That looks great. Give us some particulars. Brand, equipment, weight, etc.

Ken

tashley
12-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Thanks Ken. All up weight without battery on board is 11.3oz. I have an MPJet 25/25-26 Mk. 2 brushless with a 5:1 gearbox in the nose spinning a 10-6 APC prop governed by a Phoenix 25 and GWS Pico receiver and three Pico servos for guidance. It's also sporting one of my 3.5" custom wound base loaded antennas inside the fuse.

punctuation edit

lshadow2005
12-17-2005, 03:31 AM
Trashley
Tell me the details on your custom3.5" wound antenna- sounds interesting
Bob

tashley
12-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Here's a shot of one on my hybrid micro heli.

Take a piece of 1/8th antenna tube and cut it to 3.5-4 inches.

Peel off a 40" piece of 32ga magnet wire, available from R-S, solder on a short piece of the antenna wire you will be cutting off the receiver and solder it to the magnet wire.

Drill a 1/16th hole 1/4 inch from the end of the tube and feed the short antenna wire through it.

Spin the tube to create the base coil with all the magnet wire except the last remaining 3-4 inches, tack glue the end of the coil to the tube. Do not overlap the coils!

Make a slit at the end of the tube opposite the coil and slip the tag end of the magnet wire into it.

Slip on a piece of heat shrink tubing and shrink it down to the tube.
Solder your new compact antenna to your reciever and you're done.

I have range tested these antennas as far away as to barely be able to see the aircraft, 36" span foamy, and absolutely no problem.
Try it, you'll like it.;) BTW, it's t-a-s-h-l-e-y.:)

lshadow2005
12-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the reply
Couple of more questions
Where do you get the magnet wire ?
DOn't know what R-S stands for?
Also do you think this time antenna will work enclosed inside a fuselage ie form warbird me 109 or p51 mustang?
How much of the original recv antenna wire do you leave attached to the receiver?
Thanks
Bob

tashley
12-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Any good electronics supply house should have magnet wire.

R-S=Radio Shack

As stated in post nr. 24 I have mine mounted inside the fuse with no problems.

I've left as much as four and as little as two inches. Seems to make no discernible difference.

Your welcome.

Big_Bird
12-19-2005, 02:26 AM
tashley and others interested in loaded RC receiving antennas, here is a very interesting article.

Ken

http://www.rc-cam.com/ant_exp.htm

tashley
12-19-2005, 03:53 AM
Wow Ken, that's a lot of scientific information. I've been told all my rc life that a base loaded antenna will not offer the range that a full length antenna will but I've been winding these for a couple of years and for park flyers they seem to work great. After all, if you can take a three foot span model out to where you're having trouble seeing it and the receiver dosen't glitch at all, what else do you want on a park flyer.
Mind you I would not recommend these antennas on larger powered models for reasons of safety although I've been using Deans base loaded antennas on my nitro helis since the mid eighties with nary a problem.