PDA

View Full Version : Concept models Fleet bipe...

Elfwreck
03-26-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey now,
I just picked up one of the sixth scale versions of this kit.
It looks to be a very nice kit all hand cut and well thought out.
Should even be a good flyer.
I was thinking of running an E-Flite power 46 on 4s LiPos and APC 14-10 prop. Prolly too much power but that's not so bad is it.
Anybody have any experience with this kit? Any thing I should know before digging in? Traps? Tricks? Troubles?
Also where can I find five dummy cylinders like the old Williams bros ones used originaly in the kit?
I should be able to get started next week, I'm psyched!
I've been wanting one of these for ten years now...
RobII

E-Challenged
03-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Try asking Concept Models for advice on electric conversions, nice folks.I got one of their old Barnstormer kits from Ebay, maybe will convert that to electric power

http://www.mailbag.com/users/conceptmodels/concept.html

Taylorcraft_ASEL
05-09-2007, 01:55 AM
Have been looking at this plane for years...keep us posted.

Thanks,
Ken

Rabbitcreekok
05-09-2007, 05:18 AM
Hey now,
I just picked up one of the sixth scale versions of this kit.
It looks to be a very nice kit all hand cut and well thought out.
Should even be a good flyer.
I was thinking of running an E-Flite power 46 on 4s LiPos and APC 14-10 prop. Prolly too much power but that's not so bad is it.
Anybody have any experience with this kit? Any thing I should know before digging in? Traps? Tricks? Troubles?
Also where can I find five dummy cylinders like the old Williams bros ones used originaly in the kit?
I should be able to get started next week, I'm psyched!
I've been wanting one of these for ten years now...
RobII

Williams Brothers cylinders (http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/rc.html) are available again.

Let us know how the build goes. I have been lusting for that kit for a long time. I tried to win one in a contest once, but no luck. Guess I will have to break down and buy one.

Taylorcraft_ASEL
05-09-2007, 01:11 PM
The 1/6 version was actually designed to be electric powered. The website makes mention of an Astro geared 40. They also mention that the plane can be flown with a .25-.40 2cycle glow. I have an e-flite 25 on a 3 lb. ultra stick 25E and it will hold a vertical line until its almost out of sight...setting up the 1/6 Fleet to fly on electric should be a cakewalk! Our options for electric are much greater than when the plane was originally introduced.

Let's see........all I need to do is convince my wife that I'll get warts if I don't have one.........................

Ken

Try asking Concept Models for advice on electric conversions, nice folks.I got one of their old Barnstormer kits from Ebay, maybe will convert that to electric power

http://www.mailbag.com/users/conceptmodels/concept.html

Old Fart
05-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Warts excuse won't work, believe me I've tried. Tell her that lack of direct exposure to THIS aircraft will cause a breakout of Lumpuckeroo of the Gunch, which is widely known to cause Conkus of the Ronkus of the Blowhole.

By the time she researches both of those, you should have 2-3 flights in.

Good Luck

Taylorcraft_ASEL
08-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Ordered!!!!! After all these years.............

Ken

Have been looking at this plane for years...keep us posted.

Thanks,
Ken

skypup
09-12-2008, 03:29 AM

Ken

I got one awhile back but have not had the time to build. I have mostly been flying helis and parkflyers for the past 10 years. I am an old time modeler and have always liked the looks of this plane. Anyone actually find a decent source for those 1/6 wright cylinders? Williams brothers stuff hadn't made it back into production when I bought my kit. Tower has some stuff but I didn't see the cylinders listed on their site.

Taylorcraft_ASEL
09-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Skypup (the old ultralight from the early 80's?...almost built one),

I'm not sure if I'm an old time modeler but I've been building models since the 60's. I believe the cylinders are now being produced by a company that acquired Williams. They have stuff on their website but I haven't ordered them yet. I ordered the kit a couple weeks back...hoping to have it soon. I switched over to electric several years ago so the plane will be brushless/lipo powered (glow just can't cut it anymore).

Get that kit out and start building!

Ken
W4SWK
1941 Taylorcraft (BC12-65)

I got one awhile back but have not had the time to build. I have mostly been flying helis and parkflyers for the past 10 years. I am an old time modeler and have always liked the looks of this plane. Anyone actually find a decent source for those 1/6 wright cylinders? Williams brothers stuff hadn't made it back into production when I bought my kit. Tower has some stuff but I didn't see the cylinders listed on their site.

Rabbitcreekok
09-12-2008, 06:21 AM

Try this link to Williams Brothers (http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/rc.html). I think you will find what you need.

skypup
09-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Skypup (the old ultralight from the early 80's?...almost built one),

I'm not sure if I'm an old time modeler but I've been building models since the 60's. I believe the cylinders are now being produced by a company that acquired Williams. They have stuff on their website but I haven't ordered them yet. I ordered the kit a couple weeks back...hoping to have it soon. I switched over to electric several years ago so the plane will be brushless/lipo powered (glow just can't cut it anymore).

Get that kit out and start building!

Ken
W4SWK
1941 Taylorcraft (BC12-65)

Yes.......I had the plans for the Skypup but did not build it. I did build an easy riser bipe, Eipper MX and a Hi Max.

I started r/c in 1964......if you started in the 60's your are an "old timer".
Ditto on the electric. Isn't it great? Sure makes starting an engine a lot easier;-)

skypup
09-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Try this link to Williams Brothers (http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/rc.html). I think you will find what you need.

Jim

Thanks. I found that link but no contact number or ordering info. I figured they just sell to retailers?

Rabbitcreekok
09-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Jim

Thanks. I found that link but no contact number or ordering info. I figured they just sell to retailers?

If you follow the link back, scroll to the bottom and click on the Home tab. On that screen, it gives ordering information and a little more current history of the company.

skypup
09-13-2008, 01:47 PM
If you follow the link back, scroll to the bottom and click on the Home tab. On that screen, it gives ordering information and a little more current history of the company.

Thanks Jim........I missed it

Taylorcraft_ASEL
05-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Well, I have finally started construction on the Fleet. After receiving the kit, I could only look at it and marvel at the quality. Made me think of the way kits were in the old days (quality). I fear the days of kits such as this are soon to disappear.:sad:
Tonight, I finished the fin and rudder. I will try to post occasional updates.

Ken

Ken

skypup
05-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Well, I have finally started construction on the Fleet. After receiving the kit, I could only look at it and marvel at the quality. Made me think of the way kits were in the old days (quality). I fear the days of kits such as this are soon to disappear.:sad:
Tonight, I finished the fin and rudder. I will try to post occasional updates.

Ken

I've yet to start mine ,although I was able to get my cylinders from Williams brothers and a fiberglass cowl from fiberglass specialties. I've even considered selling my bipe kit and accessories due to time constraints.

Taylorcraft_ASEL
05-18-2009, 05:39 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you may not get to a starting point with the Fleet. Unless you are pressed to sell it, I would hang on just to have such a fine kit...as I've said before, I don't think it will be long before good quality kits are not available. If you do decide that you want to sell it let me know, I could probably talk my wife into another.

I'm posting a couple of pics (from my phone) that might motivate you to start. I built the horizontal stabilizer today (35 individual parts!) and was it ever fun!

Ken

I've yet to start mine ,although I was able to get my cylinders from Williams brothers and a fiberglass cowl from fiberglass specialties. I've even considered selling my bipe kit and accessories due to time constraints.

skypup
05-18-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you may not get to a starting point with the Fleet. Unless you are pressed to sell it, I would hang on just to have such a fine kit...as I've said before, I don't think it will be long before good quality kits are not available. If you do decide that you want to sell it let me know, I could probably talk my wife into another.

I'm posting a couple of pics (from my phone) that might motivate you to start. I built the horizontal stabilizer today (35 individual parts!) and was it ever fun!

Ken

Looking good Ken. I also have a Pica Waco Bipe kit which I found on Ebay.

Taylorcraft_ASEL
05-19-2009, 05:49 AM
I also have a Pica Waco Bipe kit which I found on Ebay.

Now, THAT I will pretend I DIDN'T hear! :tc: Is it a 1/6 or 1/5 ?

Ken

skypup
05-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Now, THAT I will pretend I DIDN'T hear! :tc: Is it a 1/6 or 1/5 ?

Ken

It's the smaller version. I built one years ago and had it all framed up and sold it. I later heard how well they flew and have wanted one ever since.

Taylorcraft_ASEL
05-20-2009, 04:24 AM
I laid out and glued the ribs in the upper wing tonight. Hopefully, I will get the half ribs in tomorrow night. After tomorrow, I will take a little break for a few days. Our oldest son is coming home for a bit, he has done 2 tours in Iraq and we are ready for a visit! :D More to come...............

Ken

P.S. If you decide to build this plane, study ALL the notes on the plans. This is not a particularly difficult plane to build, it just has a few notes that clarify certain parts of construction.

E-Challenged
05-20-2009, 09:48 PM
The Fleet trainer bipe was an especially clean looking design for it's era. I have the no longer available .40 size Barnstormer version that I hope to build in the near future, probably will reduce weight in aft fuselage and tail feathers and mount everything forward as possible to reduce need for nose weight. Recommend you make battery compartment large enough to permit trying different sizes and shapes of battery packs.
I have seen some bipes where the motor, esc and battery packs are on a slide-out tray to facilitate battery changes. This would require some re-engineering of forward fuselage structure. As in all electric powered scale models, lighter takes off and flies much better, does aerobatics better and lands with less damage than heavier.

I just noticed that I have (0) friends under my avatar ??? You can be my friend.

Taylorcraft_ASEL
05-21-2009, 05:27 AM
HI E,
As you know, Romey designed this plane to be electric powered. The design was done a while back and calls for 18 cells...that's 18 NI-CD cells! As a result, he designed in a HUGE battery tray. I feel I can build the plane around 4 pounds, so it should fly rather scale with 4 cells or so (Lipo).
Having done several large size conversions, I agree that lighter is always better. I recently converted a .60 Kaos to fly in Senior Pattern and was "critized" for building it at 5 lb. 3 oz. I was told that it should be heavier to fly better (guess that's why all the full size aerobatic pilots spend tens of thousands of dollars trying to scrape mere ounces from their planes!) On contest day the wind was 20 gusting to 25 and it seemed to fly OK (good enough for 2nd place Novice) although I think all the wind masked my bad flying. I'll enclose a pic.

Ken

P.S. I lived in SoCal for 20 years...Fallbrook, Banning, Hemet...

The Fleet trainer bipe was an especially clean looking design for it's era. I have the no longer available .40 size Barnstormer version that I hope to build in the near future, probably will reduce weight in aft fuselage and tail feathers and mount everything forward as possible to reduce need for nose weight. Recommend you make battery compartment large enough to permit trying different sizes and shapes of battery packs.
I have seen some bipes where the motor, esc and battery packs are on a slide-out tray to facilitate battery changes. This would require some re-engineering of forward fuselage structure. As in all electric powered scale models, lighter takes off and flies much better, does aerobatics better and lands with less damage than heavier.

I just noticed that I have (0) friends under my avatar ??? You can be my friend.

E-Challenged
05-28-2009, 08:50 PM
If you can build a model light enough and it is fairly aerodynamic, it can fly well on a light yet powerful motor/battery combo. The trouble with short nosed radial engined scale models is keeping the aft fuselage, control linkage, tail wheel and tail structure light so that you don't have to add dead weight to the nose to achieve the proper cg. You may find it necessary to locate battery pack, speed control, receiver and servos as far foward as possible to make good use of a light weight, yet powerful, brushless motor and lipo power system. Plan on using a quality 3S ( 3-cell)2 0C lipo pack and low KV motor capable of spinning a large enough prop for 8-10 minutes at 2/3 throttle.

Taylorcraft_ASEL
02-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Well guys, I have retired, married, and moved to a new home. Seems I will now have time to finish the Fleet! I will keep you posted.:)

Ken

warhead_71
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
There's a couple of us on RCG converting 1/6 scale Sterling Stearman's to electric (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349779)... so it ought to work out to about the same size plane. I already did quite a bit of research on power-plants, so I thought I'd share:

I have a ton of 3S lipos so I planned to run them in series and parallel to make 6S2P 4400mah (That's 4x 2200mah 3S lipos). I will use a Turnigy 50-65A 400kv (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4914) or Turnigy G60 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14405) motor to turn a 16x10 prop, which is "scale" for the Stearman. This is the same size motor as the Monster Power 60 (http://www.nitroplanes.com/mo604brmo.html) or the E-flite Power 60 (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM4060A) if you are retired and have lots of money to spend ;) The big motor should help get weight forward for balance, and give me surplus power for efficient cruising or emergency thrust.

If you want to run on 4S, try the E-flite Power 46 (http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLM4046A) instead with a 14x10 prop. Cheaper alternatives are the Monster Power 46 (http://www.nitroplanes.com/mo466brmo.html) , or the Turnigy G46 (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14404&aff=260557).

In-between the 46 and the 60 is the Turnigy 50-55B 600kv (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=4907) or Turnigy SK 50-55 580kv (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=7071).

Congrats on retiring, getting married, the new house.... and getting back to the Fleet.

rcers
05-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Well guys, I have retired, married, and moved to a new home. Seems I will now have time to finish the Fleet! I will keep you posted.:)

Ken

Ken too cool - what is the status? You will have to come to the 114th to fly that!

Mike

aerodromeflier
02-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Does anyone have any info on Concept? I'm pretty sure I just picked up the 1/6th scale bipe at a swapmeet. Do they have a URL? Any product support? I can't seem to find them via standard searching methods.

Thanks!
Chris

Nitro Blast
02-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Does anyone have any info on Concept? I'm pretty sure I just picked up the 1/6th scale bipe at a swapmeet. Do they have a URL? Any product support? I can't seem to find them via standard searching methods.

Thanks!
Chris

http://www.conceptmodelsllc.com/

This answers all of your questions about Concept Models. Apparently, the 'concept' did not prove to be worthy of sustained life in todays economy.

aerodromeflier
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
That's a shame. Thanks for the info!

CKD315
01-07-2015, 05:09 AM
Yes.......I had the plans for the Skypup but did not build it. I did build an easy riser bipe, Eipper MX and a Hi Max.

I started r/c in 1964......if you started in the 60's your are an "old timer".
Ditto on the electric. Isn't it great? Sure makes starting an engine a lot easier;-)

This has to be my most favorite "reason for flying electric" quote.

I started flying about 8 years ago and have only flown with electric, starting with brushed motors and the big damn batteries that ran them. It is great to see how elec. flight has evolved...

I just got my hands on a 1/6 Concept Fleet along with a Power 25 and was surprised to find out here that it was originally designed as an electric. I am soo looking forward to flying it without all that weight of the old power system... :D

skypup
01-07-2015, 06:16 AM
This has to be my most favorite "reason for flying electric" quote.

I started flying about 8 years ago and have only flown with electric, starting with brushed motors and the big damn batteries that ran them. It is great to see how elec. flight has evolved...

I just got my hands on a 1/6 Concept Fleet along with a Power 25 and was surprised to find out here that it was originally designed as an electric. I am soo looking forward to flying it without all that weight of the old power system... :D

I recently found a 1/6 kit on ebay and bought cylinders. Too many projects to start building it. I'm working on a Proctor Jenny Biplane.

E-Challenged
01-19-2015, 07:04 PM
I gotta get started on the Barnstormer before the old instruction sheet and plans become more yellowed and hard to read. Actually it is called a Fleet Model 2 and used a Kinner K-5 engine, built around 1929. I'll probably use a Cobra 3525/12 and Cobra 60 amp ESC with 5amp SBEC and 4S 4500 lipos same as I used in my Maxford Gee Bee Model E.

CKD315
09-03-2016, 02:54 AM
I just re-read my post from above and laughed at my remark about the Power 25 in the Fleet. I've flown it quite a few times with the 25 and it's like flying a balloon, it doesn't really fly as much it just floats around.
It definitely needs more power, but I'm not so sure about a Power 60. I'll try a 32, a 46, and then a 60, if I absolutely need to.

Taylorcraft_ASEL
09-03-2016, 06:00 AM
Since I was one of the original posters, I thought I might check back into this thread. My wife and I have been traveling full time in our RV for about the last 5 years so the Fleet has been waaaay back on the back burner! The Fleet and all my other RC projects were passed to our youngest son. At the urging of my wife, I have returned to flying full size again. Dang that woman...built me a hangar on a private airport and bought me a Cessna 140 for Valentine! I think I just might keep her.��

Ken

E-Challenged
01-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Started the old Concept Barnstormer kit, lost interest temporarily. Badly yellowed plans and instructions hard to follow.

My first plane ride was in a C-140, built Pat Tritle's 44" short kit, power was Esskay 400XT GWS 9x5 DD prop and 1320 3S lipo. Added a carbon fiber spar to wing, inlayed nose to rear of cabin, was quite aerobatic, hundreds of flights, loved it.

E-Challenged
03-03-2017, 07:15 PM
I started the Fleet barnstormer , made a lot of holes in the slab liteply fuselage sides, have a lot of trouble reading the yellowed instructions and interpreting the combined right and left wing drawing details. Other projects have intervened, but have scale-like wheels, Wms Bros Cyclinders and other stuff needed to proceed when I get a roun toit.