PDA

View Full Version : Astro 020 BRUSHED. What is it man?!

Twmaster
10-13-2005, 11:08 PM
I just got this pair of motors. They are labled Astro 020. These are -not- brushless motors. What they are is the same diameter as a SP400 motor but only as long as a SP280!

I am assuming they are either 4.8V motors or 6VDC as they are intended to run on a 4 cell pack. The packaging claims this motor will spin a 5.25 x 3 prop at 11,300 RPM.

So here is a pic. Anybody got the skinny on these?

easytiger
10-14-2005, 02:01 AM
What you have there is one of the first AstroFlight motors. The Ferrite 020. I flew them, still have one, it's about eqivalent to a weak 400. Has no real collector value.

Twmaster
10-14-2005, 02:06 AM
What you have there is one of the first AstroFlight motors. The Ferrite 020. I flew them, still have one, it's about eqivalent to a weak 400. Has no real collector value.

Thanks Curtis,

I didn't buy these to collect. Bought them to fly! :D They were cheap and have prop adapters so I'll give 'em a whirl as I have some 5 x 3 props here. I just like tinkering with 'odd' things. Now the Astro Sport kit I recently picked up I dunno what I am going to do with yet!

easytiger
10-14-2005, 02:12 AM
Play away! But be aware that they were really made for four cells and will burn out pretty fast at higher voltage. Those battery boxes were made for old subC cells, I think around 600mah or something like that. When the motors burn out, you can use the prop adapters on something else.
Now...the PLANE, the astro sport, it's a classic. Great flyer, will only get better with modern batteries. I think it WILL fly on the 02, but was really made for the 05.
The motor was made for a cox prop, not the most efficent at those lower revs, I should think, I wonder if a more modern prop might help...

easytiger
10-14-2005, 02:13 AM
PS they made these starting all the way back in the seventies, it was the state of the art back then, got a lot of people flying.

Twmaster
10-14-2005, 02:26 AM
Play away! But be aware that they were really made for four cells and will burn out pretty fast at higher voltage. Those battery boxes were made for old subC cells, I think around 600mah or something like that. When the motors burn out, you can use the prop adapters on something else.

Well like I said, play time. I have a foamy from your bestest buddy Mr. Lin that might fly well on one of these motors. :)

The battery 'boxes' are for 4xAA cells. If they are that ald I'm betting ~400mA or smaller! Heh, maybe I'll keep one new in the box. ;)

Now...the PLANE, the astro sport, it's a classic. Great flyer, will only get better with modern batteries. I think it WILL fly on the 02, but was really made for the 05.

Yep calls for an 05 with an AUW of 2 pounds! :eek:

I'm thinking an AXI or other moderate brushless set, light covering and modern power source. The kit is absolutely perfect all the bits cutout and bagged. Even has a period Astro catalog tri-fold. (I like vintage catalogs)

The motor was made for a cox prop, not the most efficent at those lower revs, I should think, I wonder if a more modern prop might help...

I was thinking of trying a Graupner Cam prop. The box side quotes the RPM at 11,300 for a Top Flight nylon 5.25 x 3 and 9,000 for a Cox 6 x 3.

easytiger
10-14-2005, 02:34 AM
Well like I said, play time. I have a foamy from your bestest buddy Mr. Lin that might fly well on one of these motors. :)

Who? Never heard of him!

The battery 'boxes' are for 4xAA cells. If they are that ald I'm betting ~400mA or smaller! Heh, maybe I'll keep one new in the box. ;)

Yes...the RC version has the C-cells. I have the twin RC setup somewhere around here. Had a switch and no throttle. Heavy and weak wiring, too. Yours must be the FF version...
They had a really simple 12v charge setup, basically force feed the cells from your car lighter circuit until they got hot!

Yep calls for an 05 with an AUW of 2 pounds! :eek:

The 02 ain't going to cut it! But I flew one EXTENSIVELY with various 05 motors. They even flew them on floats.

I'm thinking an AXI or other moderate brushless set, light covering and modern power source. The kit is absolutely perfect all the bits cutout and bagged. Even has a period Astro catalog tri-fold. (I like vintage catalogs)

Oh, absolutely super kits. Their Porterfield Collegiate was a winner, as was the Astro Challenger, and several others. Top notch machine cut seventies stuff, similar to cox/airtronics.

I was thinking of trying a Graupner Cam prop. The box side quotes the RPM at 11,300 for a Top Flight nylon 5.25 x 3 and 9,000 for a Cox 6 x 3.

I SUSPECT that most of those props really don't come into their own, efficiency-wise, until much higher revs, and the CamProp might be a free ride...

RMS
10-25-2005, 12:13 PM
I also used these motors way back when. Astro offered belt reducers in order to swing larger props. I did have a lot of success flying larger airplanes with the belt reducers. You may want to keep your eyes open for the reduction units or contact Tom Hunt at Modelairtech, the make belt reducer drives and he may have something that fits it you want to go that route.