PDA

View Full Version : Trex 450SA - Hard?

saber_33
04-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Hey, I was just considering buying a Trex 450SA and I need some help.
Ok here are my questions.

Is it hard to build?

Do you need to solder anything?

What are the parts it comes with?

What are the parts or tools that I need to buy?

Does anyone know what roughly the total cost of a complete one would be?

Can it handle wind?

Sorry for so many questions.

-Eric

PilotDane
04-03-2007, 03:20 AM
The SA is quite easy to build. Much of the "building" is taking apart and reassembling so you can get your servo's installed.

Depending on the ESC you buy, you may have to solder connectors on the ends of the wires (easy). I also had to solder to install Deans connectors on my batteries & ESC.

The SA comes with quite a bit (they provide two tubes of thread locker, two screw drivers, three allen wrenches, wire ties, decals...). It comes with most of the basic tools you will need to assemble the heli and if you have a basic toolbox you should be almost set. I would buy a pair of ball joint pliers.

For the SA you will need:
radio TX and RX
brushless motor
ESC
at least one flight battery
gyro
servos (3 for rotor head, one fast one for the tail)

How much it will cost depends on what componants you buy and what you already own. My entire setup (DX7, 3 batteries, charger...) is about $1'200. You could get one flying for about $600 and you could spend $3'000 if you wanted to.

The TRex 450 can handle wind... can you? It is double-triple the weight of most beginner helis (like Blades & Honey Bees) which helps it resist gusts better (but it is still a small heli). I do OK up to 3-4 mph winds but my friend flies his in 8 mph winds all the time. It's a fast heli so it can buck almost any wind if you're willing to push the stick to the edge of the TX.

saber_33
04-03-2007, 03:32 AM
Hmm...a little over my price range. Is that US dollars?I'm from Canada
so it would be different.

Argh...I wish it wasn't so expensive, I was really wanting to get one but I don't have that much money.
I guess it's gonna be the next best thing- Blade CP Pro. Maybe if I save a bit more money (only have about a $420 Canadian dollars budget right now) I might be able to get one.

Well, thanks alot for the info.

-Eric

saber_33
04-03-2007, 04:53 AM
Does anyone else have a different price that they paid for their TREX 450SA with everything included?

Riverman
04-04-2007, 12:56 AM
saber do the math

Unfortunately your $420 will not buy you a complete ready to fly TREX 450SA unless you find some screamin cheap used deal (good luck).

The Blade CP is a great little heli and I think it is probably the best fit for your budget. With the left over cash you could get yourself a spare battery and some extra parts for the inevitable crashes.

Jusy my two cents

saber_33
04-04-2007, 01:00 AM
OK, thank you.
What do you guys think about a MX-400 EP ARF? Are they good helis for the price?

-Eric

paranoia
04-04-2007, 01:25 AM
i'm v happy with my 450 SA, the thing comes built just put in the servos and motor and your away.

they are priced between 150 and 200 for the arf

then you should get....
3x hs-65 servos
and a gy401 w/ 9650 for best results on the tail (yu will need a strong servo here)
most people like the align motors but i use a 16/15/3 mega motor
TP2100 3cell pack / or something that size...
oh and a 6-7 channel Rx
and a external BEC could be helpfull
oh and a 35amp ESC

so that's about $720 retail, but it's only money :)

if you shop carfully you could get it for 635 (all new) or so.... assuming you have a radio.....

the arf (450 sa heli) comes will the built heli and the box, and a foam blade holder, and some hardware one or two parts....

the question should be can you handle wind, becuase this heli can.

you will likly need to solder the motor connections only, depends on what motor you get?

i think all the tools you will need come with the arf

trex 450 SE on ebay.....
or look at this.... http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALIGN-RTF-T-REX-Trex-450-SE-450SE-RC-Helicopter-hu_W0QQitemZ160102977765QQcategoryZ2563QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem this setup is cheap, but it could be okay for you?

tracks
04-04-2007, 06:43 PM
just ordered a new T-Rex 450....kinda new to this hobby...am flying a Falcon 3-D,which flys very well...I ordered the RTF Trex....would appreciate any advice on setting up ...if any is needed

ordered the Raptor G-2 around a month ago....thing wouldnt even leave ground.....it is on its way back to dealer....should of visited these forums before that purchase....

Brutal E
04-04-2007, 11:36 PM
They are easy to set up plus buy the head leveling tool and set up is even easier. I love my SA just put night blades on it they are awesome. Head leveling tool is from truebloodengineering.com and many sites carry it.

saber_33
04-05-2007, 05:27 AM
...I love my SA just put night blades on it they are awesome...

Night Blades?
Those sound interesting. Do they have lights on them?

saber_33
04-05-2007, 05:31 AM
...I ordered the RTF Trex....would appreciate any advice on setting up ...if any is needed

I didnt now they made RTF T-Rex. Or is that the one on Ebay?

Brutal E
04-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah they are made by Align 3 solid lights on each. Red, green, and blue. They make 3 colored rings during flight. Very cool, shocked that nobody called in a UFO during my flying. Let me get some of that cool neon strng equipment. Men In Black will be showing up at my door LOL.

Brutal E
04-06-2007, 03:57 AM
The MX400 is a very nice heli. Very stable in flight. I have grown to dislike mechanical mixing. I prefer the SA direct linkage. For me it was easier to set up and I could feel the difference in response. Though for the money it is a good bargain and uses lots of T-Rex parts so usually no trouble finding parts. If I had it over to do again I would have just bought a T-rex to start with. My MX400 frame is sitting in a box in the closet. I love my T-Rex.

tracks
04-06-2007, 10:18 PM
thanks for the set-up advise....the RTF Trex is from Heli-Hobby...are there any web-sites for Radio set-up...this trex is supposed to be RTF.....but theres always something else that needs a bit of tweeking....The radio is a DX6....

Brutal E
04-06-2007, 10:32 PM
http://www.digimemphoto.com/guides/backguide.htm

saber_33
04-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Well, I went to the hobby shop to price out a Trex 450SA and after , when I was in the parking lot, a guy said he had a nice bird for sale for $675. It is called a SJM 400 and it has top of the line everything on it. So went went to this guys place and bought it. It is a beautiful heli! But the only problem is that I still need to buy the TX, battery, charger, and cell balancer which will bring me up to about $1300 total amount. I love it already even though I can't fly it yet until I get the parts for it. He flew it in his basement for a bit and it flew great!

-Eric

Adrian
05-09-2007, 02:38 PM
I've finished a build on my new SA. I've already upgraded to SE spec+ "essential" upgrades, sorry but I couldnt get away with plastic! I would save a bit more money & get an SE, I know this because I already own an SE & bought the SA as a backup with abody kit fitted. Appalled by how fragile the plastic set up was with my 1st crash on it, bits everywhere! I've been throwing alloy at it for the last 2 months & it's on the ball now, a SA-SE hybrid:tc:
Repairs are quicker because you break less in a crash & cheaper in the long run because you dont keep buying as many spares.
I've done the maths-buy SE

redgiki
05-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I replaced an awful lot of my 450XL HDE with "bling" metal so I could withstand crashes better. I finally reached the point that it's all replaced... and now I don't crash anymore. Almost fifty flights recently, and no crashes! What's wrong with me?

Tinman
05-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Hey worry about soldering Saber,

there are great videos on here to show you how to do anything.

http://www.helifreak.com/viewtopic.php?t=12455

Also a soldering Iron (30W) costs only 6 bucks at Sears. I learned by watching the videos and just taking my time.

javelinstorm
05-17-2007, 10:02 PM
wait a minute- so if i buy this heli:http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_helicopters_align_t-rex_450sa.htm then i will also need to buy a ton more parts or are all the parts included?

brnyrbbl
05-17-2007, 10:07 PM
That's just for the Heli, ESC, and Motor. You would still need to buy: LiPo battery + charger, Radio (tx+rx+servos), Gyro

JaysonS
05-22-2007, 04:59 AM
My LHS has a 450SA complete kit with DX6, gyro, motor, ESC, and battery and charger for $465.00 USD

Tinman
05-22-2007, 01:38 PM
My LHS has a 450SA complete kit with DX6, gyro, motor, ESC, and battery and charger for $465.00 USD

wow thats a deal! The DX6 alone costs 200 bucks!

JaysonS
05-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Yea, I know. I was quite surprised when I found out how much it was. I am going to go buy it soon.

Tinman
05-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Yeah I wouldn't pass that up! You'll love the DX6. Thats what I have. Can't go wrong there. Plus the receivers are cheaper then the DX7.

redgiki
05-22-2007, 04:54 PM
Plus the receivers are cheaper then the DX7.

Well, not quite. The DX6 can *only* use the AR6000. The DX7 and DX9 can use the AR6000, AR6100, AR7000, and AR9000. The AR6100 is the same price as the AR6000, but has quarter-wavelength antennas instead of half-wavelength and is substantially lighter (great for small foamies where a few grams of weight is a big deal). I use AR6000 receivers in everything but one heli where signal blockage was problematic, and use an AR7000 there.

I think they need to come out with a DSM2 version of the DX6. It's silly not to do so... I think they are just moving old stock at this point and will do so sometime after the release of the DX9 next month.

Tinman
05-22-2007, 05:10 PM
There is a really good artcile on the 450SA in this months AMA magazine Model Aviation just to olet you guys know.

JaysonS
05-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Planning on buying an extra receiver to put in my blade so I can use DX6 for both the blade and t-rex.

Tinman
05-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Good idea then you'll have 2.4 in both helis

JaysonS
05-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Yea, it will be nice not have to worry about interference anymore. I was considering buying the DX6 for the blade for a little bit now. And when I saw that I could buy the T-rex with the DX6 it made me want it even more.

Tinman
05-22-2007, 10:53 PM
I got my DX6 hooked up to a simulator called Pheonix.

Its awesome, comes with a bunch of helis, CP, a coaxial, TREX 450, 600 and a bunch of gassers.

www.phoenix-sim.com

JaysonS
05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Just checked the site out. Looks cool. Know anything about Pre-flight Trex edition? I got it for $40. Still waiting for it to come in.

Tinman
05-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Never heard of it... Sounds like the price is right. Let me know how it is.

One thing I've learned about simulators is that no mater which one you get, they are priceless when it comes to training. Heck I've even flown Microsoft Flight Simulator from the tower view with a joystick and it helped me get the whole orientation thing down.

I use to be anti simulator, but now that I have my own I think they are the best thing you can get.

JaysonS
05-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Will do. Says its suppost to react like the real thing. But you know who that goes. I dont really care about graphics, as long as the pyhsics are sound.

Tinman
05-23-2007, 12:53 AM
My thoughts exactly...