PDA

View Full Version : Treed Begin Air

ratbastid
04-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Yesterday I went down to our local park--much closer than my usual field, but MUCH smaller, too. The field I learned at and usually fly at is about 15 acres. This park has a clear area of probably 300' by 100', and is surrounded by 50-foot trees on three sides, and high tension power lines on the fourth. Exciting.

I put my Begin Air in three-channel mode, with a Wing Dragon wing. I've been flying it in full four-channel setup for only a couple weeks, and I thought that in these tight quarters I should keep it set up the way I'm most comfortable.

I put it up and brought it down successfully a couple times, and was about to pack it in (because of blood pressure, not battery life) when a neighbor of mine and her 3-year-old, Tucker, came down the park path. Tucker wanted to see the plane fly so, to impress the baby, I tossed it up again. Then Tucker wanted to see it land, so I promptly put it thirty feet up the nearest elm tree! :eek:

I gathered quite a little crowd of people staring helplessly up at the plane! Finally the friend I was at the field with fetched a small orange traffic cone from her car, which I threw until I dislodged the plane.

As it came down, the tail got badly broken. Then it free-fell about 15 feet and landed hard on its belly, breaking the wing spar.

Time for (yet another) round of repairs!

Carjacker
04-07-2007, 04:34 PM
I've killed, destroyed, mangled, and obliterated many planes, all I have to say is: Good Luck!

WRX Dave
04-11-2007, 10:21 PM
It's amazing how much smaller a field gets once the plane is in the air.

ratbastid
04-11-2007, 10:27 PM
I think the real problem was that I had walked most of the way off the field when I met my neighbor, and I didn't walk all the way back out to launch. So I had a memory of successful landings and how far the downwind leg took me that was completely off-base for where I was actually standing in the field.