PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. PZ Wolfe

max2112
04-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Klauss - the intrepid pilot- died with honor.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
It was a COG problem.

I WILL REBUILD!!:D

PerlAddict
04-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Ouch! Were you flying with the stock battery or a lipo?

max2112
04-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Ouch! Were you flying with the stock battery or a lipo?

Sorry for the delayed reply.
It was a stock battery. I think it was a balance issue. It flew like a drunk Buik as soon as I threw it and I was immediately trying to land it.

Carjacker
04-17-2007, 01:42 AM
Don't land it, just turn off the motor to reduce damage.
I've destroyed a number of planes.

Bill G
04-17-2007, 08:00 PM
That's not destroyed.:D Easy rebuild, although admittedly they're never quite the same.
Hey, now's your chance to extend the front end and build a D9.:D
I was just visiting Chantilly VA, which had a hobby shop that stocks all the parts. I've been there several times, and been temped to buy a "replacement airframe, and build one for around 100 bucks. Are you going to repair it, versus a new fuse?

Bill

max2112
04-17-2007, 08:11 PM
That's not destroyed.:D Easy rebuild, although admittedly they're never quite the same.
Hey, now's your chance to extend the front end and build a D9.:D
I was just visiting Chantilly VA, which had a hobby shop that stocks all the parts. I've been there several times, and been temped to buy a "replacement airframe, and build one for around 100 bucks. Are you going to repair it, versus a new fuse?

Bill

Yes, I am going try and repair it piece by piece. I have a cowl, the internal plastics, replacement props, and foam-safe CA on the way. I already have a replacement motor and gearbox.
I am also contemplating using this opportunity to change out the PZ electrics to my Futaba transmitter.

Once everything gets here I'll try abd take good pictures of the repair process.

constantCrash
05-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Did you ever get it rebuilt? did you have to order a new fuse? I just distroyed my spitfire, but the damage looks about equal to yours. if you can repair yours, i bet i could repair mine.

max2112
05-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Did you ever get it rebuilt? did you have to order a new fuse? I just distroyed my spitfire, but the damage looks about equal to yours. if you can repair yours, i bet i could repair mine.

Not the whole fuse, just the plastic tray and battery door.
But it's not rebuilt yet. I have really wanted to, but just haven't had the time. I've been really busy at work for the past few months. Plus, I know that this is not something I want to do half way.
One thing I have noticed so far is it is much easier to repair the fuselage once everything is removed. Without the plastic tray on the inside you can pretty much get two hands anywhere you need to for taping or applying CA and such.

Hopefully before too much longer I'll be posting some repair pics.
Take care,
John

sureitwillfly
06-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Klauss - the intrepid pilot- died with honor.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
It was a COG problem.

I WILL REBUILD!!:D

Nothing beats my crash I miss juged how close I was to a tree and parked it at the top so I climed up carefully treading it thru the branches as there was no damage only to have a branch snap sending me fallin 10 feet and landing on my new fw I can laugh now but my wife had a hard few days with a grumpy husband he he he :Q :Q :Q

max2112
06-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Nothing beats my crash I miss juged how close I was to a tree and parked it at the top so I climed up carefully treading it thru the branches as there was no damage only to have a branch snap sending me fallin 10 feet and landing on my new fw I can laugh now but my wife had a hard few days with a grumpy husband he he he :Q :Q :Q

Good story Sureitwillfly,
I hope you weren't hurt too bad. I felt grumpy too, making that 300 foot walk to pick up the wreckage.

constantCrash
06-03-2007, 06:32 PM
I think it's a true test of a g/f wife / husband if they can put up with us after we crash our toys. I was grumpy for 2 days after i crashed my spitfire. Which by the way, I should have back up in the air later today.

Wolfsbane
08-29-2007, 05:48 AM
Glue and some additional balsa for fuselage strength.
I've had my Spit snap the fuse in half behind cockpit as well as smashing the front. I took apart the fuse by slowly cutting across the middle of it so you access and align some reinforcements inside. I used the internal palstic frame to align the fuselage back together.

Before I started the rebuild I had a complete airframe ordered in but about a week after getting the new airframe and getting it all back together I got back to the "wreck" and patched her up. So now I have 2 spitz eventhough need a radio for one ;)

Waiting a few days or so is a good idea,
I think we all know the three stages of a crash:

- Denial/Disappointment
- Acceptance
- Rebuild

max2112
08-29-2007, 06:28 AM
Glue and some additional balsa for fuselage strength.
I've had my Spit snap the fuse in half behind cockpit as well as smashing the front. I took apart the fuse by slowly cutting across the middle of it so you access and align some reinforcements inside. I used the internal palstic frame to align the fuselage back together.

Before I started the rebuild I had a complete airframe ordered in but about a week after getting the new airframe and getting it all back together I got back to the "wreck" and patched her up. So now I have 2 spitz eventhough need a radio for one ;)

Thanks for the advice Wolsbane. I never thought of adding reinforcements from the inside out.

Wolfsbane
08-30-2007, 12:28 AM
I used ribs on mine but if you get some competition balsa (very light and flexible) I'd use and shape it the same as the inside. Fairly cheap and definetly makes the fuselage more rigid. I compared my spitz and to be honest I must say the one I fixed is more sturdy then the original part.

The planes are tough is you think about how much punishment they can take and come back to life....

Post some pictures on your repairs.. would be interesting to see :)