PDA

View Full Version : Which floats for Mini Ultra Stick?

ptgarcia
04-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Can someone recommend a set of floats for the Mini Ultra Stick? This will be my first foray into floats flying and could use some help. Thanks!

Murocflyer
04-09-2007, 05:36 PM
There are a few choices, but floats need to be a certain percentage of the fuselage length. Let me do some research on that and I'll get back with you.

Frank

Murocflyer
04-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Found a few folks using the GWS floats (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHCR6&P=7)on the MUSs.

Current theory is to use 75 - 80% of the fuselage length for the floats. The GWS floats come in a little short at 21" rather the the recommended 25.5".

But like I said, I've seen them being used with good results.

Frank

Here's one example. LannyG also posts here on WF. You can PM him and ask about his floats. He's a great guy and very knowledge on RC stuff.

Bill G
04-10-2007, 08:13 AM
I like the GWS floats.
They're 10 bucks, and look good when assembled. The molded plastic hull is slippery, and looks better than foam. There is a bit of work in trimming the mold flange off of the hulls, and gluing them well to the foam top for a good seal. This flange is needed so that the hull remains straight, when it is pulled from the mold. They have good bouyancy, since there is nothing but air in the hull, which is even better than foam.

ptgarcia
04-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Sweet, thanks for the help guys. I ordered a Mini Ultra Stick and some GWS floats. Now I'll be ready for the float fly in a couple weeks!

Murocflyer
04-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Great. Keep us posted and of course let's see some pics.

Frank

ptgarcia
04-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Great. Keep us posted and of course let's see some pics.

Frank

Will do.

The Ultra Stick arrived already! I ordered straight from Horizon and it shipped out of their California warehouse, which happens to be only a few miles from my office. I ordered the floats from All e RC and they shipped already also. I expect they'll arrive by Friday. I'm going camping this weekend, so I'll have to get them mounted early next week. Once done I'll be sure to post pics.

Thanks again for the help!

Murocflyer
04-10-2007, 08:14 PM
That has to be a world record for delivery. How many hours was it?

And you're welcome.

Frank

ptgarcia
04-10-2007, 09:20 PM
That has to be a world record for delivery. How many hours was it?

And you're welcome.

Frank

Well, I actually ordered it yesterday morning. So total time from order to delivery was about 25 hours. I wish everyone was that quick!

Murocflyer
04-11-2007, 04:39 AM
Wow, that is a record I believe. Not to alarm you, but I saw this thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669821#post7252484)this morning.

Frank

ptgarcia
04-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Frank,

Thanks for that link, there's some good info there.

Murocflyer
04-28-2007, 01:51 PM
It's been some time now. How's it going?

Frank

ptgarcia
04-28-2007, 09:34 PM
It went well, Frank. I mounted the GWS floats sans water rudder and actually flew off the water! It was my first time and I have to say it is really cool! I used a second set of Ultra Stick landing gear for the rear mount and located the floats as far forward as possible. It was super windy so I only got one flight in but it was worth the effort. The flane handled the floats jst fine with the included prop and a 11.1v 2200mAh Thunder Power battery.

I'll try to get some pics today and post them up.

av8r
04-30-2007, 07:55 PM
It went well, Frank. I mounted the GWS floats sans water rudder and actually flew off the water! It was my first time and I have to say it is really cool! I used a second set of Ultra Stick landing gear for the rear mount and located the floats as far forward as possible. It was super windy so I only got one flight in but it was worth the effort. The flane handled the floats jst fine with the included prop and a 11.1v 2200mAh Thunder Power battery.

I'll try to get some pics today and post them up.Yes, please post some pics. I'd like to see how you mounted them. Thanks.