PDA

View Full Version : Landing a PZ J3 pipercub

GreenAce92
04-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Hi I have a Pz J3 cub and I was wondering if anyone had any helpfull tips on landing. Say how to land it on the wheels instead of its wings or on the prop.Any help would help me alot thanks.

PerlAddict
04-10-2007, 02:59 PM
This method generally applies for most planes, but when you come around to start your landing approach, make sure you're still decently far away from you (I usually want to be lined up straight at 40 to 50 yards away). This gives you plenty of time to glide so you don't have to try and drop down too fast (which picks up your speed and makes landing trickier at times). It also gives you time to react if you feel like you aren't lined up very well.

I like to cut my motor at around 15 feet high, maybe 20 to 30 yards out. I just glide it down with no power, keeping it straight and level. Use gentle movements on the sticks. Try and keep your nose fairly level so it's just floating down, not diving. Just make sure it's pointed down enough that you don't stall it.

When you are just about to touch down, pull back on the stick gently. This will "flare" the plane ... pretty much a low-speed stall ... which will make it slow down a hair more and land more softly on it's wheels.

I like to practice the whole approach up high first ... I'll line up where I'd like to land, but I'll stay about 100 feet up. Then I'll cut the power and just get a feel for how it glides while still staying up high in the air. That way once I come down to actually land, I've got a good feel for controlling it with no power. If you practice up high, you'll have more room to glide and you can always add power and pull back up if you end up stalling out. If you stall out on your landing approach, you probably won't have much time to correct it, and that's never good. =)

You might want to try posting your questions in the Parkflyers section of this board. This "Test Posting" section is just an area for people to mess around with the forum's features and test out different functions, so it doesn't get nearly as many people who read through it.

- Dave

GreenAce92
04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
I posted here because I was new to this posting thing and this was where I could find a post new thread sign.

PerlAddict
04-10-2007, 06:17 PM
No problem, GA. Every forum should have the "New Thread" icon at the top of it to post a message, so be sure to check them out. You'll probably get the most info on your PZ J-3 Cub in the ParkFlyers and Backyard Flyers (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16) section, and if for some odd reason the "New Thread" button doesn't show up in the upper-left area just above the list of all the posts, you can click here (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=16) to start a new post in that forum.

Grasshopper
04-11-2007, 01:52 AM
Hi GA,

One thing that I found helps in landing my PZ J3 (besides all the good points Dave posted above) is to pulse the power a little when bringing it in. I found it is easier to make smoother landings by leaving the power on very low and just give it a few "bumps" of power as it's getting ready to touch down. I cut the throttle just as I'm flaring it to touch the wheels. May not work for you but I found it helps with mine.