PDA

View Full Version : New to AP

meegosh
10-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm new to flight and I am getting my first plane, a dual motor Slow Stick. It has two EPSD-350C-D motors, gws 1365 prop, gws compact 400 66t D gear, CASTLE CREATIONS PIXIE 20P esc, and a 7.4 VOLT 1200 MAH Lipo pack.

Commander_Duke said: "I use a micro servo like the HS-55 with the arm cut down a bit and double sided servo tape to attach the servo right to the camera near the trigger button. I hook the servo lead to one of the unused channels in my receiver (landing gear, flaps etc.) then adjust the throws to work properly and up I go."

It has a GWS NARO RECEIVER 6 CHANNEL reciever and a 4channel futaba tx. Could I use the method above to push the button on the camera with my reciever/tx? I am interested in taking some aerial photos once I learn to fly a little better. Any suggestions on good cameras that take decent pics but are under say $70? No 3.5 mp cameras just simple pen camera or something similar.

I guess I just really need some advice on getting started, cheaply. :rolleyes:

TaSaJaRa
11-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Just getting started, Learn to fly abit, don't rush.If you crash a lot you will get where you don't like to fly.
But remember a SlowStick with a stock wing does get blowed around a bit in wind. So it is best to fly early
morrning or late evening (just when it is calm) till you get the hang of it.
Also use a buddy box the first few times to help get you going in the right direction.

As far as a camera goes you can use a Blip camera (http://www.blip.com.au/) And you can just plug it right into the RX.
A little more than $70 but it works real well.

I have used a camera like the Blip that I wired to operate the shutter with a RC-Cam Man switch.

Below is the camera I used when I started and a few pics I have taken with it.

meegosh
11-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Not bad quality for that cam. I have been looking at other options such as the CVS camcorder w/ hack. I don't know which I want more, video or still pictures. Either way I need to get some flights under my belt before I even consider strapping something to my SS.

Thanks for the response, everyone has been raving about the blip cam, I guess it's for a reason. :) Anyways, I will consider that and maybe see I can scoop one up for cheaper, maybe used?

Thanks again for your reply!

Rugar
11-10-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't know which I want more, video or still pictures.

Why not have both :D? Check out the Nikon 3700. It does good stills and video in a 6oz package. :cool:

TaSaJaRa
11-11-2005, 11:59 AM
I use the 5mp Pentax S5z, you can get one for less than $240 or cheaper now. I had been flying for a year before I put the more costly camera on my plane.
It does Great. I can record 20min+ with a 512mb card. It also has video out so you could do a Video Downlink from Black Widow video.

Here is a link to my larger SSv2 AP Plane 3.5 lbs (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1368)
with the Pentax S5z onboard and video.

And a few still shots with the S5z listed HERE (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2385) it was still a little hazy for high shots.

Later Craig

meegosh
11-11-2005, 03:06 PM
I think I'm just going to stick with the blip cam at first. Seems small enough and durable enough. I don't think I'll have a problem hauling the blip cam around. I don't want to upgrade my batts or motors right now. I got dual 350 motors on it with a 1200mah 2s lipo. More than enough power for a stock setup so I assume the little blip cam won't add much weight.

One question about the blip cam. I see that it ONLY supports up to 128mb SD cards. So you cannot put a 512MB card in it ? Even though, 128mb sd cards can be bought for ~$13 w/ free shipping so I could pick up a couple.

Thanks again guys, hopefully the winds will die down so I can fly!!!! I hate Pennsylvania's weather!

TaSaJaRa
11-11-2005, 06:45 PM
I don't have the blip , but the one I do have is close to the same camera and it said use a 128mb card.
But I use a 512mb and it works fine.

Later Craig...

icematrix
12-09-2005, 11:44 PM
I have a 256mb sd card in it, and it works fine. I have yet to fill it up, it holds hundreds of pictures.

below is a picture I took with my blipcam during a nasty snowstorm today... I'm nuts with the thing, but hey, no risks, no spectacular photographs. :D

Rugar
12-09-2005, 11:53 PM
I have a 256mb sd card in it, and it works fine. I have yet to fill it up, it holds hundreds of pictures.

below is a picture I took with my blipcam during a nasty snowstorm today... I'm nuts with the thing, but hey, no risks, no spectacular photographs. :D

Looks like you have a fitting name :D.

Walter Laich
12-11-2005, 02:06 AM
I''ve been "messing" with both still and video. Into making my own hacked CVS camcorder. Did one yesterday in about an hour not counting time for epoxy to dry where I glued in the USB port.

I just turn it on when I start the flight and as it records 20 minutes or so I never have a problem as my flights are 15 min max.

Now I'm working with a video editor to try and cut down the video to just the good stuff.

Finished a camera mount on my Super Miss and having fun when weather is nice. I'm too old to enjoy very hot or cold weather; got to hand it to Icematrix for flying in that weather.

W

icematrix
12-11-2005, 02:37 AM
got to hand it to Icematrix for flying in that weather.
There was a 20mph wind blowing the snow in my face... it was all I could do to keep my eyelids open. Once I had the wind at my back, I kept the plane circling in front of me to prevent snow-blindness.

Today I made several more flights, but the photos aren't nearly as cool as the ones I took during the storm.

Attached are a few more photos for your enjoyment.

TaSaJaRa
12-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Man that looks cold !!!!!:eek:

Pics look good....

icematrix
12-11-2005, 09:50 PM
Here is my poor plane... I send her up in all kinds of weather. I recenly made a set of skis from plastic-rulers, balsa, coat hanger, and duct tape. I heated the ruler-tips with a candle to form the curves at the tips.

The plane is a basic 3-channel Hobbico Superstar EP. I have added a blipcam (which you cannot see because it is mounted on the other side of the plane.) I have also added a steerable tail wheel and a set of big 2" wheels which really help her roll on the grass during the rest of the year.

This is one of the least expensive, but by far my favorite and most used plane in my hangar. :)

p.s. Rulers make ok skis on hard-packed snow, but sink in and flip the plane over on deep fluffy stuff... I will be either making a set from formica and ply, or buying some DuBro skis next week.

Derick Veliz
12-12-2005, 02:31 PM
meegosh,
There are lots of cameras out there, I started 6 years ago doing AP with a disposable camera $3.50 then I moved into a canon LT aps, and 35mm Olympus; now I'm using Sony digital cameras.

My best advice is...Practice.

Happy flying ;)

TaSaJaRa
12-13-2005, 06:31 AM
Here is my poor plane... I send her up in all kinds of weather. I recenly made a set of skis from plastic-rulers, balsa, coat hanger, and duct tape. I heated the ruler-tips with a candle to form the curves at the tips.

I like your plane, it looks great....... I have never had to fly in snow, so I guess I wouldn't have a clue on that. The skis look good from what I can see.

You could maybe even make some from some thin Lexan and use the heat gun to curve them also.

Later Tas....

icematrix
12-26-2005, 04:42 AM
I ended up just buying some dubro "snowbird" skis... they work well on my superstar and they are springloaded. The allow the plane to go over lumps in the snow without the prop digging in. If your plane is big enough, I would recommend them. They might be a little big and heavy for below 600 size planes.