PDA

View Full Version : Maiden of the ZoomZoom 4D

KenS
10-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Let me first thank everyone in this forum who has contributed valuable information for us newer pilots and those re-learning with foam from glow.
SETUP: Zoom Zoom 4D
Hacker 20/22L
CCPH 25 ESC
9x5 GWS DD
TP3S1320PL
Electron 6 receiver
Hitec Flash 5sx

In sequence:
Check the wind- 3-5mph
Check the radio,battery,range check.

Ok I walked her out to the runway and did notice the wind was slightly stronger out there but I have flown my glows in 50x more wind, it was a breeze that barely inflated the sock at the field.
Turned on the radio, plugged the battery in made sure everything worked, and revved her up. She tracked straight down the runway into the wind, at 3/4 throttle I gave it some up elevator and up she went, "great the ailerons were in trim!"
It started a nose up yaw into the wind, on the severe side so I dialed in some down vator and this helped. Got my speed up and started a slow left turn aileron elev only, man it wanted to dive bad.
Leveled out coming down wind and it wanted to sink allot to the point I had to adjust trim again to a slow decent.
I then made a nice right hand turn into the wind and she nosed up again- very frustrating, I was amazed this little breeze would effect the plane that much. Into the wind at just above 1/2 throttle it flew very slow almost to stall point..I'm saying to myself that it should pull better than that I may have to switch props to something bigger than a 9x5 gws.
On the return leg I got disoriented makeing a left hand return and recovered, but the plane was facing up wind and about 65 yards away from me and I over corrected and gave to much vator, I went into an instant hover about 8 feet off the ground 65 yards away...not good. I punched out full throttle made a turn to land and the wind realy caught it or something came loose because it nose dived from about 25 feet straight into the ground.
Results: Fuse broke in half behind the wing, nose broke off, control horn torn from the right aileron.
I had my glue and fixed it as good as I could and figured, she is beat up so lets try again.
Same conditions as before yaw up was bad into the wind..better land it.
Came in facing the wind slowed her down and had to land in the grass, it tore the recenly patched control horn on the aileron again, fixeable.
I decided at this point my day was concluded, I checked the battery, my mounting job did a great job, it didnt move in either crash,neither did the esc.
This was my first foam build and flight, and only the 2nd low wing plane other than my Sig Kougar glow plane in 94..future notes.
Do not fly in the breeze until I am a better pilot, try to find a 4 channel plane that has a trainer wing but not to severe of a trainer and practice on it.

Tailspin Ken
10-16-2005, 07:00 PM
If you are looking for a good plane with a trainer wing, check out the Mountain Models Magpie at www.mountainmodels.com (http://www.mountainmodels.com) You can even get it with a slowflyer wing too. It is like getting two planes for the price of one. The plane is pretty aerobatic for a trainer, and it is very durable.It also hanles 10mph winds very well! It sounds as if you are an experienced pilot but want to brush up your skills. Electric park flyers handle very differently than fuel models. The main issue, in my opinion, being weight and power differences. I think the Magpie may be a goosd starting point for you. Good luck!

Ken

qban_flyer
10-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Let me first thank everyone in this forum who has contributed valuable information for us newer pilots and those re-learning with foam from glow.
SETUP: Zoom Zoom 4D
Hacker 20/22L
CCPH 25 ESC
9x5 GWS DD
TP3S1320PL
Electron 6 receiver
Hitec Flash 5sx

In sequence:
Check the wind- 3-5mph
Check the radio,battery,range check.

Ok I walked her out to the runway and did notice the wind was slightly stronger out there but I have flown my glows in 50x more wind, it was a breeze that barely inflated the sock at the field.
Turned on the radio, plugged the battery in made sure everything worked, and revved her up. She tracked straight down the runway into the wind, at 3/4 throttle I gave it some up elevator and up she went, "great the ailerons were in trim!"
It started a nose up yaw into the wind, on the severe side so I dialed in some down vator and this helped. Got my speed up and started a slow left turn aileron elev only, man it wanted to dive bad.
Leveled out coming down wind and it wanted to sink allot to the point I had to adjust trim again to a slow decent.
I then made a nice right hand turn into the wind and she nosed up again- very frustrating, I was amazed this little breeze would effect the plane that much. Into the wind at just above 1/2 throttle it flew very slow almost to stall point..I'm saying to myself that it should pull better than that I may have to switch props to something bigger than a 9x5 gws.
On the return leg I got disoriented makeing a left hand return and recovered, but the plane was facing up wind and about 65 yards away from me and I over corrected and gave to much vator, I went into an instant hover about 8 feet off the ground 65 yards away...not good. I punched out full throttle made a turn to land and the wind realy caught it or something came loose because it nose dived from about 25 feet straight into the ground.
Results: Fuse broke in half behind the wing, nose broke off, control horn torn from the right aileron.
I had my glue and fixed it as good as I could and figured, she is beat up so lets try again.
Same conditions as before yaw up was bad into the wind..better land it.
Came in facing the wind slowed her down and had to land in the grass, it tore the recenly patched control horn on the aileron again, fixeable.
I decided at this point my day was concluded, I checked the battery, my mounting job did a great job, it didnt move in either crash,neither did the esc.
This was my first foam build and flight, and only the 2nd low wing plane other than my Sig Kougar glow plane in 94..future notes.
Do not fly in the breeze until I am a better pilot, try to find a 4 channel plane that has a trainer wing but not to severe of a trainer and practice on it.

Hi Ken,

I'm not familiar with the Zoom Zoom, but what happened to you has happened to me many times with some other people's planes and one of mine last week. It sounds like you have a slightly tail heavy model.

Wind conditions will make no difference when the model is not balanced properly. Yes, the wind will make a bad situation much worse, but if your model was/is tail heavy it will misbehave all the time.

BTW, where can I see the Zoom Zoom on the web?

KenS
10-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Hmm, I will move the cg forward and see how it does, after I replace the bent push rods and torn out control horns heheh,,thx I never even thought about the CG causing that.
The ZZ can be found here, as well as it's big brother- the Super Zoom
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/product.htm?product_id=16299&category_id=264

qban_flyer
10-17-2005, 02:59 AM
Hmm, I will move the cg forward and see how it does, after I replace the bent push rods and torn out control horns heheh,,thx I never even thought about the CG causing that.
The ZZ can be found here, as well as it's big brother- the Super Zoom
http://www.soaringusa.com/products/product.htm?product_id=16299&category_id=264

HMMM! That yellow one has caught my attention. I think I must get me one of them; nope, I know now I must have one of them!

After seeing the size those ailerons I must also mention that both of them should be perfectly aligned with the wing panels. A little "droopy" ailerons will make that thing (or any others like it) "balloon" when power is applied and difficult to control at slow speeds. BTW, my profile 3D models all have the glide of a lead brick. Kill the motor and they will fall out of the sky. I refer to all profile types as "Flatsos" and/or "RoadKills".

And yes, one must have the CG on that type of model right on the money or slightly forth (at least for the test flights) than recommended. Once you become familiar with its quirks you can mess around as much as you may want. I wonder as to why they refer to its 'airfoil' as symetrical, it doesn't look like much of an airfoil to me from the web site's photos. Does it have an airfoil?

KenS
10-17-2005, 05:28 AM
Qban,
I have a yellow one in my closet because I figured I would use the pink one I had to bash up learning to fly again lol.
I think the ailerons were in trim pretty good since it didnt want to roll, it was definetly a pitch issue. I will move the cg a bunch forward and move slowly back to see if it helps.
The one thing I hate about the plane is the rudder function. They use a steel rod for an axle and 4 carbon hinge points that it runs through, a total pain to deal with.
When I build the 2nd one, I am definetly doing away with that somehow.

qban_flyer
10-17-2005, 05:47 AM
Qban,
I have a yellow one in my closet because I figured I would use the pink one I had to bash up learning to fly again lol.
I think the ailerons were in trim pretty good since it didnt want to roll, it was definetly a pitch issue. I will move the cg a bunch forward and move slowly back to see if it helps.
The one thing I hate about the plane is the rudder function. They use a steel rod for an axle and 4 carbon hinge points that it runs through, a total pain to deal with.
When I build the 2nd one, I am definetly doing away with that somehow.

Love that yellow one. I'm sure you'll figure a way to improve the rudder hinging method too.

When checking the CG on these type of models, make sure the plane is upside down. Having it rightside up will give you a VERY false reading of where the plane is balancing. Mid and low wing models have got to have their CG checked while upside down. High & shoulder wingers are the only ones checked rightside up.

PS: Hobby Lobby has a sale on their 3D Yak-55 @ $19.90 a pop. I liked the looks so much I needed to get me not one, but all four different color schemes. I took delivery on them last Monday and so far I am not dissapointed. They are also selling an Esskay 400XT outrunner that matches the Yak-55. Price? $29.90 each so I ordered four of them with the planes. Very nice motors too. With a 10X4.7SF APC it develops 18.4 oz of thrust! Sale ends on the 20th.

KenS
10-17-2005, 01:18 PM
PS: Hobby Lobby has a sale on their 3D Yak-55 @ $19.90 a pop. I liked the looks so much I needed to get me not one, but all four different color schemes. I took delivery on them last Monday and so far I am not dissapointed. They are also selling an Esskay 400XT outrunner that matches the Yak-55. Price? $29.90 each so I ordered four of them with the planes. Very nice motors too. With a 10X4.7SF APC it develops 18.4 oz of thrust! Sale ends on the 20th.

Here is a thread on the Yak: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365860

Might wanna have a look at these also...I heard they fly real nice.
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=34&src=hsi

Take that 40" and slap a CustomCDR on it:eek:

qban_flyer
10-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Here is a thread on the Yak: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365860

Might wanna have a look at these also...I heard they fly real nice.
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=34&src=hsi

Take that 40" and slap a CustomCDR on it:eek:

Looks like I'm going to be spending more money. YUP! That 40 incher is the one that caught my eye. I have got to have one of those!

Thanks for the link, have already bookmarked for later use this evening.