PDA

View Full Version : NEW Great Planes PBY ARF!!!

donjiskra
04-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Beautiful ARF, twin brushless coming out late May.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXRLP8&P=7

Nice price, only $139.

Construction: Fiberglass hull, balsa and plywood wing and tail
section
Wingspan: 53.5" (1360mm)
Wing Area: 395 sq in (25.5 sq dm)
Weight: 3 - 3.25lb (1360 - 1470g)
Wing Loading: 18 - 19 oz/sq ft (55 - 58 sq dm)
Length: 34.25" (870mm)

Don Sims
04-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Sweet looking plane Don! Wonder if the production model will look that good?

donjiskra
04-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Hey Sims,
It sure does look good!!!
I tried to internet search more informnation but found nothing at this time.
Anxious to find out more!!!!
Don

Murocflyer
04-15-2007, 05:15 PM
Man, I saw the title of this thread and got excited. False alarm. I thought someone got one of these beauties already.

I am looking forward to some reviews on this plane. Sure looks sweet. I want one bad. Just hope it flies as good as I hope it will.

Frank

donjiskra
04-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Frank, We are salivating to see the first one to get it or finding a link for more information!!!!!!!!!!!
Don

Grasshopper
04-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Sweet! I have always like the PBY. Where's my bulldozer? I'm going to have to build a pond now.:D

Bill G
04-17-2007, 06:12 AM
Its about time!
The only problem is that my Guillows PBY conversion will lose its monopoly.:eek:
It will be good to get flight info from folks, before I brave mine.:D

Bill

Murocflyer
04-17-2007, 06:39 AM
Frank, We are salivating to see the first one to get it or finding a link for more information!!!!!!!!!!!
Don

I see you are watching both places also. :)

This one might be a hit.

Frank

Murocflyer
04-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Looking forward to trying this baby out here:

Frank

Bill G
05-16-2007, 08:13 AM
This is the Great Planes PBY thread.:D

Figured I'd move this thread up, since there is another thread for a different PBY sold by Airworld, that is being confused for the Great Planes version.

There was also an Aeronaut version that came out a year or so ago, that I believe Dymond sold.

Bill

Elfi Flyer
05-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Don

Do you still have your Sky Arrow?

donjiskra
05-17-2007, 02:58 AM
E F,
Sure do!!!
Here's a video if its first succesful flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rnr1XSqbVI
Should be back on the water on May 26th.
Cant wait.
Thanks for asking,
Don

LAbelle44
05-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey Guy's, Tower's Website show's the PBY is in stock. My wife ordered one for me for fathers day! Gonna have to get my training into high gear so I can fly it. I am contemplating trying to do some custom stuff, like a system to make the floats fold up and changing the paint scheme to something like the US Coast Guard SAR model. I am a rookie builder so this may be more than I can handle. Any comments?

moodier
06-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi;Can anyone more famiailr with electric say whether they think the recomended motors are enough.Waiting for it to get back in stock and for a good discount to come along.have to buy power train etc but always leary of what they recomend usually underpowered.What I have been able to find people say it flys OK on the 950KV motors but only few$more to get like the 1250KV ones?Same with the2100 batterysufficent for this set up or should get bigger one of them too??Pretty new to electric stilllike my glow but for a Cat will try it.Have watched for a Kyosho one but they are pretty far back now.Passed one up for $100 been kicking myself ever since one time was to slow to get wallet out.Thanks for hints!!

Twizter68
07-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Picked up the PBY from the LHS today; Beautifully done hull and wings, can't wait to get the motors and esc's to get her ready!

Twizter68
07-02-2007, 03:34 PM
1st gripe: don't like that they pre-drilled the mounts for the Rimfire motors....would have prefered the standard hole arraingment for more selection.

Twizter68
07-03-2007, 02:17 PM
Hmmmm......wonder if I could rig up retractable floats....

Grasshopper
07-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi Bill,

Will you be posting any pictures of it?

Twizter68
07-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah, once I get the rest of the stuff I need; still need one esc and A20-20L. Trying to decide if'n I want to do the retractable floats too.

Twizter68
07-06-2007, 02:00 AM
Okay, I coudn't wait; I'm still shy one ESC, but here we are, so far:

Twizter68
07-06-2007, 02:01 AM
...and here....

Twizter68
07-08-2007, 05:18 AM
Well, I used my OOD watch time wisely, and finished up everything I could last night; she's only awaiting the 2nd esc, and away she'll fly!

donjiskra
07-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Hey Bill,
Looking good, thank's for the build posting. much appreciated.
Can't wait to see the flight video.
Happy Flying,
Don

Twizter68
07-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I do have a couple of concerns, but we'll see how she handles in the air first....

Twizter68
07-11-2007, 12:12 AM
She's all ready to go..thanks BlackDogrc.com!

2X A20-20L outrunners
2x 25 amp Dynam ESC
1 2500 mAh 3s PQ lipo
28 amps, 318 watts.

I'll probably open up the cowlings some after the maiden, sometime this week!

aghead
07-12-2007, 04:39 AM
I'm building one of these (it will be a Canso of course!) and just about ready to test the power system and have a question:

The manual says to parallel the esc's radio plugs to a single throttle connection.

I am worried about the BEC circuits being slightly different in voltage and leading to grief. (battery will be same for both)

The ESC's I've got are the TP W30 apparently with a 1.5A BEC.

Would it be wiser to snip one red wire and run the whole 4 servos off just one BEC or wire it in parallel? If so, what kind of voltage difference in BEC output should make me nervous?

Twizter68
07-14-2007, 04:26 AM
Maiden report!

She flies beautifully! Great loops, rolls not so hot, and I only had to trim the ailerons about two ticks to the left. Takeoff was......interesting, to say the least! I started with a slow taxi, she would hang to the left, correct with right rudder. Had to keep a quick thumb on the sticks until she got on step, but once on, then vroooooom! into the sky! Landings were a bit touchy. Any ripple sent her bouncing back into the air, and both landings were quite wet. She kept right side up, but the last one cost me the battery hatch, so I'll be using packing tape until GP gets some hatches to me!

Build notes:
-Seal the float pylons to the wing with canopy glue. There was quite a bit of water in both when I took the wing off to work on a diff thrust setup.

-Use shorter extensions for the elevator/rudder servos. The ones supplied are waaay too long! I swapped them out with 6" extensions.

-Waterproof your electronics! (DOH!)

-Be very carefull when working in the hull, it's a very tight fit. I'll be making some ESC motor lead extensions to reduce the cramped fingers I get!

I was concerned with the amount of flex in the pushrods to the tail surfaces, but there seemed to be no affect on the flight characteristics. Landings must be made under power, as slow as you can go and still control it. Both of mine were a bit fast, and I'm out a hatch (fortunately that's all!). I had a brainstorm later; add some foam to the bottom of the hatch so it floats if it comes off!

All in all, a nice plane! I'll be experimenting with counter-rotating props, differential thrust (I'd like to get rid of the water rudder!) and relocating the aileron servos into the wing, and possibly retractable floats in the near future!

--Twiz

P.S.- Video is being processed, will be up later!

Twizter68
07-14-2007, 04:44 AM
aghead, I did'nt clip any of the wires to either esc, and they worked fine.

aghead
07-14-2007, 03:05 PM
BTW I checked the BEC voltages, I get 5.00 and 5.01 so it can't be too much of a problem.

With the towerpro 2409-18 (1000kv) , 3 cells and 8x4 prop it draws 90W per motor at 9100rpm , not straining them at all. This will scoot across the basement floor on the styrofoam mount, so it should be enough.

I will try to fit the supplied 8x6's but the damned TP threaded shaft is 2.87 mm, too small for the prop adapter. A cheap man buys twice...

Pics to follow eventually...

Twizter68
07-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Here ya go!
Catalina over Trashmore (http://www.chuckandjenna.com/wf/catalina.wmv)

splinter
07-19-2007, 03:30 PM
Gentleman

I have enjoyed your review of the PBY catalina. I do have a question .

I am using the suggested power Rimfire's and Electric-fly 25 ESC's In the directions for the ESC's it specfically says "DO NOT GET ESC'S BOARD WET"

If I plastic bag the ESC's for moisture how do I keep them cool ????

By the way my first flight will be off wet grass without the water rudder and pylons. I never first flight a plane off water !!

You can also spray PAM on the bottom to help with takeoff and landing

Splinter ??

Murocflyer
07-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Gentleman

I have enjoyed your review of the PBY catalina. I do have a question .

I am using the suggested power Rimfire's and Electric-fly 25 ESC's In the directions for the ESC's it specfically says "DO NOT GET ESC'S BOARD WET"

If I plastic bag the ESC's for moisture how do I keep them cool ????

By the way my first flight will be off wet grass without the water rudder and pylons. I never first flight a plane off water !!

You can also spray PAM on the bottom to help with takeoff and landing

Splinter ??

Use CorrosionX (http://www.corrosionx.com/) to keep your stuff dry.

Frank

PS Welcome to WF Spinter. Have you seen this (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18318)?

splinter
07-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Murocflyer & Other PBY Owners:<

Thank you for the CorrisionX advice.

By the way I found out yesterday that the Rim Fire motors have 2mm ends (Male) and the 25 Electricfly ESC's have 3.5 female ends.

I called Tower and for only $11.00 ( two sets) they will sell me adapters.:<:<

By the way this is never mentioned in the "required's" for the plane.

So if you are using this set up buy the adapters when purchasing you other stuff:<

Mr Splinter
Naples Florida

Twizter68
07-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Splinter, don't order the adapters; the esc leads supplied in the wings are already setup for the difference in size.

splinter
07-21-2007, 01:38 PM
??Bill (Twizter)

Thank you for the info Of course ifI had the plane I would have known this. It is still on back order with Tower.????

Splinter
:blah:
P.S.
They shipped the adapters yesterday I guess I'll send them back

Twizter68
07-23-2007, 03:02 AM
Splinter, trust me, I know...the battery hatches are on backorder, too.....

shanghai_fool
07-24-2007, 10:03 AM
I brought one back to Shanghai with me but am in middle of 2 other projects. Although made in China, haven't seen one here yet. Has anyone thought about putting retracts in? Would love to be able to choose water or land.

Donald

aghead
07-27-2007, 04:07 AM
First flight! Only five minutes, poor light near dusk (dumb) but came back in one piece. Bit of a hard wet landing, deadstick. I taped the canopy shut, only about 10 mls from the drain plug.

Take off does require up elevator to get on plane, after that it is not difficult, and I actually expected worse torquing behaviour from catching a pontoon. Take off speed is higher than I expected, but throttled back it seems to fly level at half throttle (at about 100W total)

Did not try any aerobatics, light too poor. Given that I fly sailplanes and don't know what to do with the left stick, I guess it is fairly easy to fly, I made 5 minutes in the air without using rudder in flight.

The water rudder is useless, usually it is high and dry. Taxiing is unimpressive and you have to go very slowly, occasionally more throttle to get some air rudder working. Perhaps try to move the waterrudder down to the very end of the shaft.

Build notes:
Towerpro 2409-18 (1000kv) running 8x4 speed props @ 9900 rpm, 140W each @ full throttle. The supplied 9x6's work but load the motors a bit too much, about 7700 rpm. I think brushless motors are happier, if less efficient, running relatively lightly loaded. The narrow tips of these props are probably better at cutting through water too!

If you snip most of the threaded shaft off and pull out the shaft as far as possible from the bell there is just enough 3.00 mm shaft for the propholder to grab. But it is not a robust setup, I would suggest another motor just because of this problem if you want to use the scale prop adaptors.
The Tpros also require the plywood mounts to be reversed.

3S2P 1700mah (290g, excessive power and weight given one pack could handle 25A for take off and probably 10A average if not pushing it for aerobatics, it would fly slower too...)

CG as in manual and low rates used.

Standard micro servos used, they seem strong enough and I don't see why the heavy duty ones are needed for elevator and rudder.

Both drain plugs I had were TOO LOOSE and needed tape to seal it. Check this!

Pics to follow.

splinter
07-31-2007, 01:49 PM
DEAR Shanhai fool

You don't need wheels

As stated earlier all you need for grass is a can of PAM.
Hand lanch plane and if it has recently rained even better.

It will do fine on wet grass with a little PAM.

Mr Splinter

shanghai_fool
08-01-2007, 12:08 AM
DEAR Shanhai fool

You don't need wheels

As stated earlier all you need for grass is a can of PAM.
Hand lanch plane and if it has recently rained even better.

It will do fine on wet grass with a little PAM.

Mr Splinter

Aw man, I just love building and watching retracts. Thanks for the info though.

Donald

aghead
08-03-2007, 12:41 AM
here's some pics!

splinter
08-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Aghead

Nice customization, I like it, I got tired of waiting for Tower to ship mine ( since May now they say maybe end of August) so I bought one in LHS.
;-)

Building Hint :tc:
I've decided to use blind nuts and 256 caps for attaching the wing.
I want to be able to take apart to put in my garage. (My garage is full of giant scale planes. ) Gave up putting cars in it years ago.

Sound familiar anyone ?:roll::roll:

I've left the struts attached to the fuse with standard screws
Will be using (1) 11.1 v 4200 mah ThunderPower should give me a long flight.

Bought plane two days ago and is 90% built. First flight will be off wet grass, will give you guys a report.

Splinter (Bill )

aghead
08-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Splinter, I think 4200 mah is overkill. Unless you are planning to add more power and do real water drops, you are looking at 6C for takeoff and 3C for tooling around at steady alitude, ie 20 min flights. Nice to the batteries, but not worth the extra weight.

I think you will also have a problem getting the CG right without having to add tail weight.

splinter
08-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Hi Guys (http://www.rcuniverse.com/buynow/keywordclick.cfm?bid_id=4210)

THIS MESSAGE ALSO POSTED IN RC UNIVERSE SITE

Well after 3 days ( approx 10 hours) I am finished w/ my PBY Catalina I'm using a ThunderPower 4200 mah 11.1 volt which a few said was going to make it tail heavy. It balances right on at the furtherest back on the battery (http://www.rcuniverse.com/buynow/keywordclick.cfm?bid_id=4932) plate toward the speed controllers.( Battery weighs 9.95 oz.) I will get about a 20 minute flight.

As stated in other forums I am using the 950 KV motors and have used 4:40 "T" nuts on the wings section to hold the braces on. I wanted to able to take wing on and off easily.

My first flight will be off wet grass ( a liitle PAM on the bottom) I have NOT installed the wing tip floats yet and will do so after my first flight.

Happy Flying

Splinter ( Bill)

bawbeeseboy
08-06-2007, 11:49 PM
Hi,I'm a newbie to this. just thought I would tell you about my maiden pby flight. Using a thunder power 3850 mAh battery. Plane balanced perfect and was built exactly as the book said. ( never tried this before, it worked ) The plane with this much weight in the nose did not want to handle in the water. Once on step went straight and true. Handled well in the air no tricks just a nice calm flight.Landing was a different story popped the hatch off but remained floating.tried to taxi back to shore dipped the nose under and wasn't a fast enough swimmer to save the speed controls. will try again . i kind of think the props that came with the plane may be 1 inch to large in dia. will try with some 7 x 6 . good luck with yours

splinter
08-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi Guys

First flight with my PBY Catalina. I flew first flight off grass with the help of a little PAM. It flys like a trainer. I did have a little trouble with the hatch. The clearance is so tight on the left side less than 1/8"( SEE PICTURES) The prop hit the hatch on landing even though I used a safety line (fishing wire) and I put a piece of styrofoam on the back for my first water flight. (SEE PICTURES) I guess I will have too tape the hatch on like others have done.

Also see pics for the way I attached the wing to the struts I used cap screws so I can remove them easier.

Happy Flying

Mr Splinter:tc: :tc:

Twizter68
08-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Splinter, somethings not sitting right on yours; Looking at the pics, it looks like you have a lot of clearance on the Port motor, but none on the Starboard one....are your motors/mounts on correctly?

splinter
08-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Twitzer

I appreciate your comments but what you are asking doesn't make sense to me. There are slots in the wings to glue the motor mounts to. I don't believe you can glue them in wrong. The spacing is hence set by Great Planes.

My answer to it is run smaller props say 7.5 x 6 or 7 x 6 What do you think ?

Splinter ( Bill)

constantCrash
08-08-2007, 03:58 PM
The head on picture looks like the wing is not on straight the joiner line doesn't match up with the nose of the plane. that could cause the clearance problem.

Twizter68
08-08-2007, 04:22 PM
The mounts can be offset (though not by much!) in the slots if they are not fully seated; there could also have been a bad cut at the factory. It looks like CC is right, and your wing is not sitting on it straight. There should be a fairly equal distance between the left and right prop tip at the closest point to contact with the battery hatch, and your right prop looks like it is contacting the hatch, while you have a ton of clearance on the left prop. You may have a bad cut on the kit....on mine I have equal clearance (about 1/4 inch) between each prop and the hatch.

splinter
08-09-2007, 03:15 AM
Gentleman :tc:

If I tape the hatch on it does not contact the prop. ( The wonders of duck tape)

The angle of that picture does not really show the correct spacing and also looks like the wing is not straight. It is.

My whole purpose writing these is to try to be of help to others.

I hope I have succeded.

Splinter ?? ??

Twizter68
08-09-2007, 09:16 PM
If your hatch needs to be taped down to clear the prop, then the spacing is off; you should have about 1/4" clearance with the hatch installed, with no extra tape, etc. required.

r_kopka
08-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Why a waterrudder ? If you have 2 motors each with an ESC, you just need 1 or 2 mixer at the TX and you have the best control on the water.

RK

Twizter68
08-11-2007, 01:01 AM
So it can be sold to those who do not have a radio with mixing.

Saucerguy2
08-11-2007, 01:16 AM
My radio doesn't have mixing, I picked up a couple of cheap external mixers, they work great, I have them on my microjet and zagi, you just plug them into your receiver and you are good to go.

splinter
08-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Gentleman:ws: :ws:

First flight with my PBY Catalina from the water.
( first flight was off grass)

It went very very well, a reminder I am using a 4200 mah Thunderpower 11.1 volt perfect balance and first flight was 22 minutes and not even breathing hard. I found because of engine thrust, mixing right rudder with a switch made turns to the right much better.

The takeoff

I found it a little tough to steer until I got up on the step and the water rudder takes over then just slowly pushed up on the power came off the water with no elevator.

Landing

Plane flies like a trainer just slow it down and it almost lands itself very small flair at the end.

P.S. had less than 1/2 oz of water in the fuse when done. I was surprized because at fairly low speed the front of plane throws water into the props.

P.S.S.

It looks so cool on those slow low passes.

Mr Splinter

aghead
08-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Um, I don't get you guys.

I thought the bottom line of lipo batteries was high power output at light weight. Using oversize cells at low current essentially gets you back to the power/weight ratios of nicads, albeit with really long duration. But if you really want that above all else, come fly electric sailplanes!

So I would be interested in having you try the recommended power pack (1700-2200) to minimize the weight and see how that affects minimum speed in level flight, which is one of the main goals for scale models, no? Maybe it doesn't affect it much, I don't know.

splinter
08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Dear AGhead:rolleyes:

I see your point about the battery but I also have read of flyers putting extra weight on the nose to balance it. At least I'm using my weight. My battery weighs 9.9 oz or 281 grams.

How much weight would NI-CAds be to get 11.1 volts ? and you would need "C's to get over 1600 mah No ?

I've got quite a few batterys but don't have any 2100 mah right now besides the instructions call for up to 3200 mah.

Splinter

Saucerguy2
08-17-2007, 01:32 AM
There is alot to be said for flying something scale looking, it adds a new element to the enjoyment. I'm glad your's went well, good job !!!

I built a Catalina die cast model when I was a kid, I'll be scratch building an RC version soon enough. I'm glad you pointed out the water issue, is there something you'd reccomend to revise in it in order to prevent this from happening? It will be my first float plane and I've always been paranoid about getting the gear wet.

Gentleman:ws: :ws:

First flight with my PBY Catalina from the water.
( first flight was off grass)

It went very very well, a reminder I am using a 4200 mah Thunderpower 11.1 volt perfect balance and first flight was 22 minutes and not even breathing hard. I found because of engine thrust, mixing right rudder with a switch made turns to the right much better.

The takeoff

I found it a little tough to steer until I got up on the step and the water rudder takes over then just slowly pushed up on the power came off the water with no elevator.

Landing

Plane flies like a trainer just slow it down and it almost lands itself very small flair at the end.

P.S. had less than 1/2 oz of water in the fuse when done. I was surprized because at fairly low speed the front of plane throws water into the props.

P.S.S.

It looks so cool on those slow low passes.

Mr Splinter

splinter
08-17-2007, 02:57 AM
Saucerguy :tc:

Thank you for the compliment. I don't know how you would stop the props from getting wet and keeping the scale shape. ( if you are scratch building it )

On this tread is an article which I picked up on to keep the electronics dry. It is a product called Corrisonex It is a spray on water resisent spray to keep your gear dry. I did buy a can a a local True Value store although they had to order it for me.

I've been in the hobby about 20 years and fly mostly giant scale aerobatic planes, but I am always looking for someting different.

I happen to live in florida and have a lake very close by and this plane is a twin. That interested me.

Let's face it this is not a 3D plane the best I think I'll get it to do is have really neat landings.

Have fun HAPPY FLYING & building your PBY

Splinter

P.S. Let me know how it comes out for you

Splinter

Splinter

Twizter68
08-17-2007, 03:33 AM
GP can't seem to get their act together; can someone make me a mold of the battery hatch, so I can make a new one?

Cobra II
08-21-2007, 10:42 PM
aghead,
I am flying my PBY with a 2100mah lipo (5 oz). For this battery I had to add 2 oz of lead to the nose to balance the plane with the battery shoved as far forward as possible. Out of curiosity I inserted another 2100 on top of the first battery (it had to be placed a little further back because of the shape of the nose) and it will balance correctly without the lead but with a total of 10 oz of batteries.
The plane flys great with the single 2100 with an estimated 10 minutes of flying time.

Saucerguy2
08-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Since you are putting in the extra for balance, might as well make them switchable in the air if you have an extra channel you can use. Just rig up a servo to flip the switch so you are now doubling your air time.

splinter
08-22-2007, 02:16 AM
Gentleman

I stated before I am using a 4200 mah and it balances perfectly and flies approx 20 minutes.

By the way DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE WATER PLUG BACK IN:red::red::red:

P.S. It wasn't fun but I got very lucky Fuse filled with water Kind of throws the CG off

Splinter

Saucerguy2
08-22-2007, 02:23 AM
Gentleman

I stated before I am using a 4200 mah and it balances perfectly and flies approx 20 minutes.

By the way DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE WATER PLUG BACK IN:red::red::red:

P.S. It wasn't fun but I got very lucky Fuse filled with water Kind of throws the CG off

Splinter

That's one of the reasons I look at nitro and go, man, you guys must have some serious COG problems with all that weight sloshing around. I had a fun air journey with a cub designed for this gargantuan nimh battery pack. I put in a smaller lipo and didn't secure it all that well and took her up in the air. Upon launch, she floated right up there quite well. Then the pack came loose and was bouncing around between the aft section of the wing saddle to the firewall. The plane just kind of fluttered around in the air, it felt like a flying rc feather, a real handful, just glad I had some altitude to compensate for the many mistakes thrown at me at once. Looking back, it probably the most fun I ever had with that plane.

bawbeeseboy
08-22-2007, 04:04 AM
Splinter , just a thought for you. I cut down a 3 blade 8 x 6 master airsrew prop by about 3/8 s of an inch. rebalanced and wow much nicer in the water not nearly as much spray and a much more enjoyable plane when flying with a heavier battery.

Cobra II
08-22-2007, 04:36 PM
Saucer Guy,
It would be easier just to build a y harness to couple both batteries in parallel. I may do that but its working better for me to fly ten minutes and then change batteries. That way I can recharge one while flying the other and I'm 3 oz lighter in the air.

Saucerguy2
08-23-2007, 01:46 AM
Once they are connected together, the power doubles, you then need a larger esc and if it's flying fine with the one pack, no need for all of that. I actually do have a deans connector combo set up I've never used because of that reason. I was told at the LHS my current pack would never power up the gargantuan bl motor I happened accross, turns out they just wanted to sell me extra useless dodads........

I mentioned the switch for more air time, you can technically run several packs in that manner, the drawback being, you are not letting your esc and motor get cool down time so you'll be burning through them faster.

Spencer J
08-23-2007, 05:28 AM
GP can't seem to get their act together; can someone make me a mold of the battery hatch, so I can make a new one?

I heard that people had problems with the retracts on the Seawind, espically with the whole waterproofing.

Twizter68
08-23-2007, 11:17 AM
I heard that people had problems with the retracts on the Seawind, espically with the whole waterproofing.

Could be....don't know...we're talking about the PBY Catalina.....

Spencer J
08-23-2007, 06:55 PM
I know, I just saw someone post something about people having problems with GP

splinter
08-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Gentleman

I just got an email from Tower. They are finally shipping ( been waiting since May) a GP PBY Catalina to me. Since I already have one if anyone would like to purchase mine it is listed for sale on RCUNIVERSE.
It was shipped Thursday Aug 23 to my home in florida.

Splinter

Price is $139.99 plus shipping and no waiting.

Twizter68
08-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Got diff throttle worked up on my DX7...I'll let you guys know how it works once I check it out on the water...

aghead
03-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Any Catalina flyers who have noticed a spin tendency after stall?

I had mine out on the ice last weekend (not recommended unless there is a bit of soft snow, FG fuse is not too ice friendly) and twice did a vertical climb holding the throttle about 2/3 until stall, both times went into a spin, thankfully had lots of altitude and it came back easily both times after just a bit more than one rotation.

Perhaps it is just those outriggers torquing a rather short fuse, or maybe CG too far back, but it balanced exactly as recommended 2 1/8" from leading edge.

A single 3s 2200 snug in the nose is the way to go for this plane, only 10C max draw for my setup, 10 mins easily and good climb.

Cobra II
03-26-2008, 07:02 AM
I am flying a 3s 2100 with 1-1/2 oz of lead shoved all of the way to the nose with in my Catalina. I havn't tried stalling it under power, but it has a tendency to not want to turn left without rudder on steep climb out under power. Those twin motors do want to torque to the right. If it is stalling with power on, that could be from the torque and maybe slightly tail heavy. Try stalling it with the power off. If it still drops a wing instead of the nose, I would add some nose weight.