PDA

View Full Version : Trex 450 Belt Drive!

Shoen
04-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Can any one give me a link or some tips on Replacing the Belt Drive, Where should i remove things on the tail?
I cant find any tutorials on Google. Anythiing would be nice.

The thing snaped on me, in flight, about 15 feet above the ground, luckies auto rotation ill ever do, (I didnt do anything besides hit the Hold throttle switch, and watch it slowly fall to the ground lol, phew...thank god for high Head speeds with my Hacker engine...hehe (no damage, just alot of adrenaline...hehe)

PilotDane
04-18-2007, 02:00 AM
Replacing the belt is not too bad:

Remove the two screws in the vertical fin, the screw on top of the boom holding the pulley, and remove the three screws at the end of the tail case. This should allow you to pull the two halves of the tail case apart.

Loosen the screws at the tail boom root and slide the boom into the fuselage.

Put the new belt through the tail boom. You may need to pull it with a string or push/pull it through with a wire.

Loop the front end of the belt over the tail drive jack shaft in the fuselage. Pull the belt tight from the tail rotor end of the boom. You need to check that the belt only has 1/2 twist in the proper direction. If the belt is twisted more, you will quickly break the belt.

Reassemble all the tail parts.

Pull back on the tail boom (pull it out of the fuselage) to tension the belt. Tighten the screws in the fuselage that hold the tail boom in place.

VERY IMPORTANT: Rotate the main rotor by hand and make sure that the tail rotor is turning in the proper direction and there is no clicking sound from the belt inside the boom.

Shoen
04-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Thanks, I new it couldnt be that hard, I just Didnt want to start and have to work twice as hard and remove all the parts that i didnt Have to remove.

Thanks! Up and flying again.

Should I Use WD40 on it or ?

Madbob9
04-18-2007, 12:51 PM
No,do not use a pertroleum product on the belt.Use only a pure silicone oil or spray.

Adrian
05-02-2007, 07:58 PM
You can also use furniture polish, here in UK they sell a spray polish called Mr Sheen & its main ingrediant is silicone, just check out the contents on a can! & its a damm sight cheaper than "kosher" silicone products (& makes the heli smell nice:Q )

nbrooks
03-19-2009, 07:02 AM
A lot of people have trouble with the belt guide bolt at the top of the tail. I have removed mine, and have had no problems. It is the guide that puts downward pressure on the belt.

RyuuChi
03-20-2009, 06:14 PM
another place to find video tutorials is on helifreak, the finless bob tech room is awesome. u have to join to watch the videos, but it's worthwhile. i've learned so much from that guy. Bob rocks!