PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Day Out: More successful than Day 1, but still lots of room to improve.

Jeremy Z
10-17-2005, 04:29 AM
So we got up this morning, and conditions were perfect. Clear sky, and next-to-no wind. ("we" meaning our doglet Floyd, my wife, and I. Floyd is half Miniature Pinscher, half Chihuahua)

We went to the soccer field with a freshly-repaired T-Hawk in the trunk and three fully-charged 900 mAh NiMH battery packs. My goal was not to crash.

The first two flights went very well. The first flight, I practiced a bunch of landings. I didn't really end up exactly where I want to yet, but they are smooth enough so as not to damage anything.

The second flight, I only did a couple landings. Then, the battery died and a glided in for a picture-perfect landing. I was damn proud.

On the third flight, I had intended to fly the whole pack straight through, and see how long I would go at mostly 1/2 to 1/3 throttle. (1/3 into the wind, 1/2 with the wind) I was doing great, but towards the end, I allowed myself to get too low and the wind was starting to pick up for the day. My little red ribbon on my transmitter antenna was straight sideways, I saw later, but it didn't feel like much wind. I guess there was more about 30' up. Anyhow, I caught a bad gust while I was pretty low and was too slow or inaccurate to recover, so I nose-dived into the grass from about 8' up. To add to the effect, I saw a flash of orange go twirling through the air after the plane had a dirt sandwich. This would be the vertical stabilizer again. (I had fixed it from my first day of flying/crashing, as it had pulled out and ripped the hole through) I was officially done for the day. The wind had slowly picked up. I probably wasn't flying as high as I should've been, but I find that I make more accurate control inputs at lower altitude when I can see the plane better. It's a tough balance, I guess.

Regarding the damage, do you think it is a better idea to fix the stab with epoxy again and bring it back to factory as best I can? (making it easy to tear off again, and possibly preventing other damage) ... or should I devise a way to reinforce it?

Also, the damn receiver got knocked loose on the inside of the fuselage again. (is there anything that sticks to that plastic??!!) I'm thinking about drilling a couple more holes in the fuselage and using zip-ties to hold it in place. CA glue didn't work, even after roughing up the fuselage plastic a bit beforehand. I think epoxy would be the same. This plastic is slicker than snot on a doorknob.

The motor reinforcement trick worked like a charm. Thanks for that tip/link, Ed.

There were a couple glitches in reception from time to time. Not enough that I ever lost control. Since there were houses on one side of the soccer field, it could be interference from baby monitors or something... (The transmitter ckt. runs on 27 MHz) I hope it is that and not a faulty receiver. Receivers are solid state, so they can generally take a beating, right?

I had spent about 4-5 hours on the FMS simluator the night before, and it really helped. My flights were 12-18 minutes instead of 1-2, and only 1 crash instead of 3. I bought a joystick and downloaded the T-Hawk model. (Thanks aeropal) What a great program! I highly recommend it.

Goals for next time:

- Recognize when the wind is picking up; check the little flag from time to time. I was doing fine with the wind when I had a little height, but when it gets gusty near ground level, graceful landings are damn tough.

- Try to get used to flying a bit higher; one or two mistakes high, so to speak.

- 0 crashes.

Third impression of the plane is that I really like it. With minimal throttle, it just floats along. The pilot makes corrections to adjust for the wind, and it is very rewarding. When I started to get over the houses instead of the field, I turned around, with the wind, gave it some throttle, and made another go. At full throttle, it is too fast for a soccer field. You almost get dizzy following it around. (or at least I do.)

I see why people like big planes now. The 38" wingspan T-Hawk looks plenty big in your hand and in your kitchen, but it gets tiny quickly when you're up in the sky. (chalk up another advantage for the EasyStar, though I bet the EasyStar isn't as fast)

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Jeremy

frvrngn
10-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Congrats! Sounds like you are having a blast with the T-Hawk. I agree that the sims can help out. I have learned a lot using FMS and a cheap playstation controller. Its just nice that you can try crazy things with the stick to see how the plane will react and not have to worry when it lawn darts.

I will say that altitude helps a ton with learning. I didnt believe it much either when I started a short while ago. I thought if I could see it better (like you) I can make faster reactions. Well, one day I took my Slo-V up to well over 100ft. Sure it was small up there, but you can do near anything to the sticks and have plenty of time to recover! Stalls, spirals, etc werent much of a problem at all (helps that its a slow flyer). I just had to tell myself to let go of the stick, let it stabilize a little and then pull out. One problem when its too low, you see the plane starting to get into trouble and you will start to over correct which just makes it worse. Well, at least that is what I did when I started flying my wings (I didnt listen to my own advice and was again flying too low!). I think out of all the great advice I got on this forum and others, obeying the wind speed and flying high were the two greatest assets to me learning how to fly.

EpoweredRc
10-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Also, the damn receiver got knocked loose on the inside of the fuselage again. (is there anything that sticks to that plastic??!!) I'm thinking about drilling a couple more holes in the fuselage and using zip-ties to hold it in place. CA glue didn't work, even after roughing up the fuselage plastic a bit beforehand. I think epoxy would be the same. This plastic is slicker than snot on a doorknob.

CA glue No no no.:eek: get yourself some Velcro and put on the back of the RX and on the plane Dont glue it in place never ever. it needs a cushion on some kind or you might mess it up. zip ties will work but use some kinda foam around it.or make it where it can move a little if it has a hard impact.

qban_flyer
10-17-2005, 09:01 PM

Jeremy

Jeremy,

As Foamiesrfun says, don't ever glue any of the radio components permanently in place. If velcro doesn't work (at times it won't stick to plastic) clean the plastic surface with alcohol, then try velcroing it to the fuse again.

Should that fail the only thing I know will hold it in place is double sided sticky servo mounting tape. That stuff will stick to everything, even stuff you don't want it to stick to!

Another option is a small amount of GE silicone gel. It smells bad, takes a bit to set, but it's rubbery and will cushion the receiver against shocks and vibration. When you have to remove the RX all you'll have to do is pry it off from the fuselage.

I would definitely try the other two methods before I try the GE silicone stuff.

Twmaster
10-18-2005, 01:09 AM
Wooty! Way to go Jeremy! The few suddens stops can sure put a damper on things but fixing and getting back in the air is just part of the game.

So put your game on, watch that wind and keep at it! :)

johnhay73
10-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi Jeremy,

I started on a T-hawk this past Summer. Great plane. I also have a spot in the field that I fly that induces glitching. It's confined to about a 50 foot radius and it affected my friends plane too. He is on 72 MHz and I, on the T-hawk, was on the 27MHz band. When we both got better quality (more expensive) recivers/transmitters the problem went away. Still don't know what caused such a localized area of glitching. Really weird.

John

nova801428
10-20-2005, 06:06 AM
With my GWS receiver I get 5 feet away from the ground and my plane starts to glitch, and when my brother gets within 15 feet of me he is shot down.

EpoweredRc
10-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Jeremy,

As Foamiesrfun says, don't ever glue any of the radio components permanently in place. If velcro doesn't work (at times it won't stick to plastic) clean the plastic surface with alcohol, then try velcroing it to the fuse again.

Should that fail the only thing I know will hold it in place is double sided sticky servo mounting tape. That stuff will stick to everything, even stuff you don't want it to stick to!

Another option is a small amount of GE silicone gel. It smells bad, takes a bit to set, but it's rubbery and will cushion the receiver against shocks and vibration. When you have to remove the RX all you'll have to do is pry it off from the fuselage.

I would definitely try the other two methods before I try the GE silicone stuff.

I do use Hot Glue on my servos sometimes,but it makes it hard to get them out. I just would never put glue on my RX, The velcro we use(from home depot) Industrail kind I guess sticks really good to everything.

Good luck.

qban_flyer
10-20-2005, 04:49 PM
I do use Hot Glue on my servos sometimes,but it makes it hard to get them out. I just would never put glue on my RX, The velcro we use(from home depot) Industrail kind I guess sticks really good to everything.

Good luck.

Before I silicone a receiver to a fuselage I put one layer of packing tape on the receiver case, that way the silicone adheres itself to the tape not the RX's case.

Once the RX out all one has to do is remove the tape and the silicone goes with it.

I've never tried Home Depot's velcro, but may do so in the future.

qban_flyer
10-20-2005, 05:15 PM
With my GWS receiver I get 5 feet away from the ground and my plane starts to glitch, and when my brother gets within 15 feet of me he is shot down.

Could it be that your transmitter might be "out of tune"? That could be the reason why your brother gets shot down when he gets close to you. Your TX might not be properly fine tuned. Have you replaced its crystal with one on a different channel other than the one it came with?

Other than that I haven't got a clue as to what may be causing your particular problems with the GWS receivers. I have been using them for well over three years in my park flyers without any problems.