PDA

View Full Version : Magpie AP Test Flight

Kosh
04-17-2007, 05:41 AM
First test of my new aerial photography plane. Theres no camera on the plane but it flies the same with it. This is only a 3 channel plane. :eek:

Higher quality video can be gotten here http://www.cascadeap.com/MAP.wmv 16MB

yUOJaoiLi-0

diablo
04-17-2007, 06:35 AM
BNL rules!! I saw this video in the other thread, I downloaded it :)

Airhead
04-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Geez Kosh,
I can't believe the vertical flight right after take off. Yet, there it is floating in for a landing... Good job!:D And whoever took the video did a great job of keeping up with the plane... As usual, your video work and your plane projects never cease to amaze me... Thanks for the show..:)

aviatordave
04-17-2007, 04:39 PM
no such thing as to much power! looks like a good strong platform.

**neons**
04-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Very nice flyer and you demo it nicely. Nice clear movie. I am starting my Magpie this week. This shows me what to expect from it. I have a very powerful motor for mine. I am going to mount my Pentax S-40 camera under the plane so it can face toward the nose or tail.
**Neons** Bob

Cyberwollf
04-17-2007, 07:22 PM
what did you use for covering? That is about a million times better than the packing tape they recomend.

Kosh
04-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks Guys !!!

Geez Kosh,
I can't believe the vertical flight right after take off. Yet, there it is floating in for a landing... Good job!:D And whoever took the video did a great job of keeping up with the plane... As usual, your video work and your plane projects never cease to amaze me... Thanks for the show..:)

One of our members here, Kai Shinden does lots of my video for me and deserves all the credit as I had the easy part of just flying. We trade off and I shoot video when he needs it but I'm not near as good yet.

Very nice flyer and you demo it nicely. Nice clear movie. I am starting my Magpie this week. This shows me what to expect from it. I have a very powerful motor for mine. I am going to mount my Pentax S-40 camera under the plane so it can face toward the nose or tail.
**Neons** Bob

The photo below shows the camera mount I use made from free paint stir sticks. This lets you shoot photos or video 360 degrees and was made for my SS.

what did you use for covering? That is about a million times better than the packing tape they recomend.

The covering is iron on Econocoat and my first try at it. It sticks at a much lower temp so the foam wont melt. Two lite coats of 3M-77 adhesive let dry for 10 minutes and lay on the coating then iron it on at 1/3 heat.

**neons**
04-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Yes, the covering makes it a nicer looking plane. It sure did not have bad effects on the nice flight you have in the video. I have some Towercote I am going to try. It is a knock off of the Econokote low temp. Just to let some of the readers know, there are 2 formulas of 3M 77. The newer one will attack foam if you go more than a light mist. Be careful, test it. It also has some weight factor if you were to go with a heavy spray.
The camera tray is just about what I need also. The picture is a great help. I also bought 12 inch wide alum. landing gear with wheels from Horizon. Some are using the 15' wide carbon fiber landing gear. It makes for better camera view forward without being in the picture or movie.
I hope to start building soon.
**Neons** Bob

Kosh
04-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Thanks Bob, Useful info for all !!! Best of luck on your build. :cool:

You can see a few more photo's of the plane here and a video with the camera pointed forward. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18419

Blaze.45
04-18-2007, 05:14 AM
Hah, everytime you send me an email with the link to a new video... I can't wait to see what kind of old school music you used for it :D You always have good selections buddy.

Wish I could fly with you guys more, we'll see how things work out. Thanks to the untimely demise of Frys, I haven't touched a plane in over a month... I'm thinking about selling most of my lipos, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I want to fly again. Magnusson Park is too far for me :(

-Chris

Kosh
04-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Well Chris it sounds like your suffering from the "I own too many planes" syndrome and don't have the time to use them. Fortunately for you I happen to be a expert in this often fatal decease so your in luck.
Your ONLY hope is to give me ten plane's and run 2 laps around the Boeing parking lot pretending to be a Seagull. Let's all hope you don't get shot down. :p

Blaze.45
04-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Been there, done that. If I were a seagull, I wouldn't be worrying about being shot down... I'd be more worried about incoming twin Funjets piloted by crazed adrenaline junky pilots who have nothing better to do than laugh uncontrollably to the point of flying with one-eye open and the other tearing up with laughter. :p

Besides, seagulls run on Spektrum. The only way you can shoot those down is with a gun :)

-Chris

Crash Test Dummy
04-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Kosh,

Is that the E-Flight 480/1020KV outrunner on your Magpie?? Man! That thing hauls the mail! I'll bet it has no trouble hauling the additional weight of the camera. I think I would like ailerons on my Magpie...............that is when I get a Magpie.

CTD

Kosh
04-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Same motor but 910KV to swing the 12x8 prop. Ailerons are fine but when you go just beyond 399 feet up it gets harder to use them for AP. I can head all the way up to 401 feet and just kill the power and let the plane go hands free knowing it will self level. :D

The Magpie Sport is what your after and will haul a camera no problem on a 450 with a 10x7 prop.

Kai_Shiden
04-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Wish I could fly with you guys more, we'll see how things work out. Thanks to the untimely demise of Frys, I haven't touched a plane in over a month... I'm thinking about selling most of my lipos, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I want to fly again. Magnusson Park is too far for me :(

-ChrisHmm Chris,

Maybe I'll just have to come down your way to fly... Someone at my work today was telling me about a field in Auburn near where he lives when he saw me carrying my Maxir out to my car (would you believe he asked me if it was an "Airhogs" :mad:), maybe we can check that out sometime?

-Kai

Crash Test Dummy
04-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Same motor but 910KV to swing the 12x8 prop. Ailerons are fine but when you go just beyond 399 feet up it gets harder to use them for AP. I can head all the way up to 401 feet and just kill the power and let the plane go hands free knowing it will self level.

When I get her up high I could just revert to using only elevator and rudder and leave the alierons alone. I have the 1020KV version of that motor. I really like mine.

CTD

Kosh
04-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Im open to new spots also Chris so just let us know what you find in your area, I can crash a plane just as well there I'm sure. :D

Saucerguy2
09-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Kosh now has another thank's mark on his score, thanks for remaining one of the guys here buddy!!!

smokejohnson
01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
How is the Magpie treating you Kosh? Have you made any mods?

Kosh
01-21-2008, 01:27 AM
The plane has held up very well with zero damage in around 80 flights. Looks just the same as in the video and the only thing changed was the addition of flaps.

The flaps don't steer the plane and are only deployed to slow down or land. With the flaps down it will come in at about 8 mph gliding for pin point touch downs. There's also no long roll outs and it stops most times in under 20 feet. I use to turn down a lot of jobs because there wasn't adequate room for landing at the sites but now I can hand catch this big bird. :D