PDA

View Full Version : Blinking = Yikes

PerlAddict
04-19-2007, 03:21 PM
I like the integration of the new logo into the forum icons, but personally, I find the blinking very distracting. I loaded up the forum today and the entire left-hand side of the sight keeps blinking as I scroll through and look at messages. I know it's frequency isn't extremely high, but still. It keeps pulling my eyes away from the topics and to the left hand side of the page, and it makes the page feel very heavy on that side.

What about just using two different colors only, and maybe have some smoother, more refined versions of the icons (something akin to Mike's current avatar in terms of smoothness and glossiness, sans the background box?).

The blinking gifs just really detract from the classiness of the logo and header, imho.

Just a suggestion. If there are those who really like it, I'll defer my opinion to the bandwagon. :D

Mike Parsons
04-19-2007, 05:44 PM
LOL. I wondered how long it would take :D

Mike Parsons
04-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Here is a quick mock up. Is this what you had in mind?

PerlAddict
04-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Those are waaaay (with a little bit of The Fonz emphasis on the "aaaay" :D ) slicker looking in my personal opinion. In my non-personal opinion, I still like 'em. :D

Grasshopper
04-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Either my contacts make me blink at the exact same frequency or I'm just missing it because I don't see it.

admin
04-19-2007, 09:22 PM
those are nice mike. wonder if they would gloss still when saved as gif?

PerlAddict
04-19-2007, 09:35 PM
The .gif is identical to my eyes. The last 45 or so colors in the color palette are all very slight variations of white, not blue. Guess I think there's a very subtle bit of gradient on the bolt ... either way, it's less than 256 distinguishable colors.Though unless you need part of it transparent for some reason, the .jpg has a slightly smaller filesize than the .gif version.

On a random transparency note, how widely support is .png among browsers now?

Mike Parsons
04-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Here they are transparent and 30X26

PerlAddict
04-19-2007, 09:48 PM
HOLY COW ... I just about messed myself when I went to click on the attachment thumbnail. That is a SWEET new attachment preview feature, Marc.

Mike Parsons
04-19-2007, 09:51 PM
Cool huh? :D

Mike Parsons
04-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Fixed... 30x30

PerlAddict
04-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Cool huh? :D

Extremely cool. Probably one of the snazziest forum add-ons I've come across to date. I'm going to have to get my hands on that code and port it over for our phpBB forum.

And I directed my initial exclamation at Marc, but if you're the one who stuck it in, kudos to you, as well! :) All praise to the admins. :D

Edit: Of course, silly me managed to break it on my end somehow ... depending on how you click the expanded preview and drag it, it can actually get stuck to your mouse sometimes. Must need to clean my cursor. :D

Mike Parsons
04-20-2007, 02:53 AM
I wish I could take credit for it. But Marc suprised me with it too! :)

admin
04-20-2007, 03:24 AM
It is very sweet! PM me for info on it for your phpbb forum dave.

marc