PDA

View Full Version : Better batteries could be coming...

admin
10-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Interesting..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9689826/

qban_flyer
10-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Interesting..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9689826/

I agree, I agree.

A very interesting development. Thanks for sharing these news with us.

roccobro
10-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Hmmm.... interesting times we live in. Great times to be in E-R/C!

Justin

ForestCam
10-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Battery development is definatly consumer driven.
I remember seeing a show years ago about British paratroopers back in WWII. One thing they touched on was their need for longer lasting batteries for their "torches". Apperently back then the average battery life in a flashlight was only a few minutes. The British military went to the major battery manufacturers of the time asking for a disposable battery that would last for up to two hours (normal by today's standards) and they were told that yes it was possible for them to make a longer lasting carbon battery but why would they want to since they were in the business of selling batteries.

qban_flyer
10-18-2005, 04:25 AM
they were told that yes it was possible for them to make a longer lasting carbon battery but why would they want to since they were in the business of selling batteries.

Ain't that a shame?

Makes one wonder about the stories about a carburetor designed back in the '50s that allowed an eight cylinder Buick Roadmaster to get better than 50 miles per gallon.

Rumor has it that the patent was bought out by some oil companies and shelved for good.

roccobro
10-18-2005, 07:12 AM
Heard that one too. I think it *could* be possible. Have you seen what they are doing with Diesels in Europe? High fuel economy and high torque. F-350 size vehicle's getting 35 mpg? And now America is clamping down on diesel fuels and cars...see how much diesel gas is now??? :eek: Sometimes I wish I was never a mechanic and know what *could* be in the auto world and how we are being screwed. :(

Justin

qban_flyer
10-18-2005, 07:43 AM
Heard that one too. I think it *could* be possible. Have you seen what they are doing with Diesels in Europe? High fuel economy and high torque. F-350 size vehicle's getting 35 mpg? And now America is clamping down on diesel fuels and cars...see how much diesel gas is now??? :eek: Sometimes I wish I was never a mechanic and know what *could* be in the auto world and how we are being screwed. :(

Justin

My feelings exactly. That's why I'm glad I have a place .2 of a mile from the house where I fly my smaller models. My Butterfly gets flown in front of the house, though.

Since my cardiologist told me to "walk" every day in order to extend my days above ground, I "walk" to that park and fly everyday, religiously.