PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this Maxford Jenny? Looks Great!

Hodakaguy
04-22-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm thinking about getting this Jenny. Looks like very high quality for the money. Anyone have one already? How good does it fly? I really like the see through covering. Any thoughts on it? Here's the link:

http://eflightstuff.com/electrics/jenny_electric_arf.htm

Hodakaguy

firemanbill
04-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Not yet but will be picking one up at SEFF this week for my son. It sure looks like a nice bird.

gsk11740
04-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Not yet but will be picking one up at SEFF this week for my son. It sure looks like a nice bird.

Let me know how it works for you Bill. I've been thinking about that one for quite a while.

Gary.

firemanbill
04-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Will do Gary!

constantCrash
04-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Along those same lines, has anybody tried their Easy cub J3? I want to step up from the super cub to somthing with alerons. I'd love another cub.

Hodakaguy
04-22-2007, 08:36 PM
How are the Green RC electronics that you can get with these planes, ie the brushless motors and speed controllers? Anyone ever tried their motors out? They really have some nice looking planes. If anyone has built one of the Green RC planes or used their electronics post up.

Thanks,

Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy
04-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Well my uncle just ordered the Easy cub J3. As soon as it arives and we get it together i'll post up some pics and a flight report.

Hodakaguy

alienx
04-25-2007, 02:14 AM
There's a few of us that have the J3. I have to be honest. I had a TON of difficulty with the Green RC people. The sold me a bad plane and I had to ship it back on my dime. Then they sent me another one and the fuselage was really badly twisted. They would not do anythng about it. Ultimately, I steamed it and twisted it and then shimmed the tail and got it built.

I will say that I like to fly the plane. It is very scale in flight. I will never ever buy another product from them again though because they were that stubborn about getting me a decent plane to work with (even though I had already spent a fortune shipping it back and forth!). A guy I work with said something to me once that made good sense. He said "vote with your dollars." They lose on principle.

I put a 400XT in mine. I have the motor/esc for anyone that needs it.

Let us know how you do.

Andy

rbsdsu
04-25-2007, 03:25 PM
I saw two of these Jenny's out last weekend at my local flying spot and man they are cool! It seemed to fly very nicely and a well built plane. I was seriously considering one until I read the above post. I might have to reconsider...

Saucerguy2
04-26-2007, 07:54 PM
My Easy Cub also had a warped fuse which threw off the tail featuers, the wing saddle was broken in it's box upon delivery due to the electronics not being taped down. That particular plane was actually made by a company called Legion so is old stock that's lying around. Mine is set up with brushless, I took it out a few times, kind of an uneventful flyer and is good for an aileron trainer due to how gentle it handles, ie. you can bury the sticks and it's not going to flip out on you.

I also have the Jenny, it's an OK plane, but more damage upon delivery. I've received a ton of compliments on it at the field with it, but it's just an ARF so I don't take them personally at all, "I typically build my own planes". What is weird, it has a symmetrical airfoil, yet it has a dihedral at the same time which makes the configuration counterproductive while trying to fly inverted. I did take note as to the carbon fiber leading edge of the wings and incorporate that into my own stick builds these days. Just keep in mind, this is a high maintenance plane, you need to use thread locker on the micro screws and test the pull/pull wire system every time you take it out since it does loosen up. Also, you'll want to use standard landing gear hardware or you'll lose your wheels trying to take off. The motor mount is also not useful, you'll end up making your own, and you should make two of them for that matter since it will break before anything behind it due to the durable fuse. The plastic cowl is rather weak so I reccomend either getting two or leaving the original off of it while flying.

Both of mine now collect dust since I've moved onto more challenging planes to fly, I may take them out this summer to see how far I can push them before they discinegrate just for kicks regardless. :)

shlaes
05-09-2007, 02:43 AM
I just got mine, bought it with their power package. Arrived in perfect condition, shipped out immediately. I have to say this is a remarkable plane. It went together in about two evenings, more of a final assembly project than a kit.

A few nitpicks - I had to countersink the back of the engine mount to use the mounting screws, and do likewise to the prop adapter on the front. Took me longer to figure out than to do it, but hey, they're my only nitpicks.

I'll post more comments when I fly it. As far as I can tell, the motor/controller that came with it are pretty nice, though they came with ZERO documentation. I downloaded instructions for the speed control from their web site, as well as assembly instructions written as text.

Looking forward to a very calm day so I can test it out. Everything fit very precisely.

Hodakaguy
05-09-2007, 03:44 AM
Post up some pics!

Hodakaguy

Saucerguy2
05-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Mine came with zero documentation and was damaged, I guess I got through to Richard to address the situation, well... this is before his plane was even introduced to hobby lobby or any other distributor.

The covering comes off easily, I think it's about time I tear mine down and recover it and restring it with real thread while making a few modifications in the process. Don't worry about the engine mount, it's going to break apart well before the fuse, I know this because I nosed it in too many times since this was my aileron trainer "not the best trainer of any sort". I may ditch the dihedral in the process "likely" before re-covering it and will be using better servo's, the supplied ones were the cause of most crashes since they were so cheap they'd glitch from time to time.

Glad the distributor finally got it together enough to go brushless with it, mine was the original geared 390, may that system RIP being it's the only brushed I've ever owned that fell apart and fried....... I'll say it's a good plane stock when I get the other poster to give me his input as far as flying capabilities for himself.

gsk11740
05-21-2007, 02:00 AM
Will do Gary!

Did ya get your Jenny yet?

I got mine the other day and have it mostly put together. I still have a few things to do before I try flying it but it looks great. Actually, that's proving to be part of the problem. It almost looks too good to risk wrecking it on a maiden flight!

When I get up the nerve, I'll let you know how it flies.

shlaes
06-04-2007, 01:53 AM
MAIDEN FLIGHT - I finally found a calm enough day - at least I thought so. Took it to the field with a fully charged 1200 mah pack from TrueRC, and it had balanced only slightly nose-heavy with everything stock.

First surprise - It took off from grass,without too much difficulty.

Second surprise - No trim changes needed.

Third surprise - the 15mph winds that came up once I took off.

Fourth surprise - It penetrated them OK, and landed fine.

I did one loop, and a bunch of turns (it prefers rudder to aileron) and a lot of slow flying. In general, it was not a hairy flyer, and I look forward to a truly calm night so I can see what it's like. A 1-lb plane on a windy day is not ideal, so I can't really review it - but I'm no longer worried about flying it in a little wind.

-Noah

kevo
06-04-2007, 03:19 AM
Had mine for a while now and its still going great.
Really goes better with brushless though. I found it very tame on the supplied brushed/gearbox combo.
The supplied esc fried after 5 mins and the TP servos went straight in the bin.
Once I put my own gear and motor in it was great.
Flies very nice.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629774

shlaes
10-10-2007, 03:19 AM
OK, I've flown this thing about a dozen times now. It always draws a lot of comments at the field, and it comes with me on most flying days.

I'm running the brushless set up they sell with it from Greenmodel. It's way more than enough power, and I get about a 20-minute flight with a 1200mah 3s pack.

That said, a few cautions. I wrecked it once, when a spring slipped off a hookup. Put an extra twist in each spring and they can't fall off. No troubles since.

Broke several of the props that came with it on very mild landings. Been flying a scimitar 9x6 E since then, no troubles.

Check everything after every flight - there's a lot of fiddly things that can break / come loose. Easy repairs, though.

I've only had a couple of successful ROGs (grass field) but it hand-launches very easily - throttle-up and just sort of let go. It's ready to fly.

I can get a funny loop out of it, and a barrel roll. You need a lot of rudder input to get well-behaved turns. Landings are pretty easy, but good luck avoiding nose-overs.

An added plus- I flew on a sunny day this weekend, and noticed that it just kept climbing. I throttled almost completely back, and realized that I was thermaling! Very low wing loading permits this - so I got a 25-minute flight, with plenty of battery left.

Another caution - park it on the ground, not the picnic table. The wind WILL blow it off the table.

Have fun,

-Noah

firemanbill
10-10-2007, 03:24 AM
Good info Noah, Thanks for sharing. We (my son and I) did not end u getting one like we planned last spring.

It's still on the list of future craft though...:D

pvtzemerak
06-15-2008, 01:57 PM
i like the big ones. there is an article about them in backyard flyer.

firemanbill
06-15-2008, 07:18 PM
That is the one I got my boy for Christmas. She flies great and looks stunning in the air!

We power it with a Eflite 480, 40 amp esc, 11x7 prop, and a 3s 2100Mah lipo.

The two negatives for this aircraft are the instructions, or lack of really for assembly. Three pages of grainy b/w photo of steps already completed and no text whatsoever.

The other is the landing gear. The framework is sturdy enough but the main axle shat is weak and bends a wheel back on anything but a perfect landing.

With that said I would still highly recommend it as it is truly a beautiful airplane and it flies great!