PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to talk Magpie AP?

omba
10-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Hi, all!
I'm no expert. That's for sure.
But I just nearly-finished my Magpie AP and maidened this past weekend. It was a rush job (covering) and I have some power issues, but it was real blast!

I'm moving next week, and the guys wanted me to take some field shots before I left. Pressure! Anyway ... I searched for MAP on these threads and didn't get much of a list. I figured we could start one here. :)

If it lives on, great. If not, keep 'em flying.

Later,
Peter

johnhay73
10-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Hi Peter,

I just put togethor my standard Magpie. I will eventually be strapping a camera to it and will definately use this thread to discuss any aspects pertaining to it. Right now I am just enjoying the non-AP flying of my slowflyer wing, and working through the learning process of the aileron equiped sport wing.

John

omba
10-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Hi Peter,

I just put togethor my standard Magpie. I will eventually be strapping a camera to it and will definately use this thread to discuss any aspects pertaining to it. Right now I am just enjoying the non-AP flying of my slowflyer wing, and working through the learning process of the aileron equiped sport wing.

John
Hey!
Have fun!!! I just love the slowflyers. :D
BTW ... the MagpieAP doesn't have ailerons. But then you might be talking about strapping the camera right on the Magpie. Anyway ... have fun cruising the skies!

Peter

Rugar
10-19-2005, 04:01 AM
I have everything sitting here to put one together except the plane itself. I just need to get a few more projects done and off the bench, and then I will be placing a order for one.

Axi 2808/24
Phx 35 ESC
Super Slim 8 RX
HS-55 servo's
HS-81 servo for camera tilt
FMA Co-Pilot
Nikon 7900

Im thinking I may cover it using either Econokote or Ultricote.

Gerald

omba
10-19-2005, 01:38 PM
I have everything sitting here to put one together except the plane itself. I just need to get a few more projects done and off the bench, and then I will be placing a order for one.

Axi 2808/24
Phx 35 ESC
Super Slim 8 RX
HS-55 servo's
HS-81 servo for camera tilt
FMA Co-Pilot
Nikon 7900

Im thinking I may cover it using either Econokote or Ultricote.

Gerald
Good luck with the build. :)
I'm curious to know how you plan on propping.

As for the build ...
I started out with the AXI 2212 mounted on the stick. I was advised to go up to the 2808. Different stick mount! Problem ... I couldn't get the old one off! :mad: So I wound up cutting off the stick and making my own firewall mount ... not vey good. :o See the mess I made below. (I also posted my "original" 2212 mount.) The mount for the 2808 works, but one of these days I need to revisit the whole mount thing. I found that installing the supplied firewall mount meant trimming the nose. If I had to do it all over again withthe 2808, I would go that route. I'm looking forward to your report. Moving along ...

As for the 2808/24 ... as noted earlier I've only had one flight. The plane now sits waiting for my anticiapated move next week.:eek: Beautiful slowflyer! I never ran over 1/2 throttle. I have a battery or ESC (Ph-25) issue that I need to solve. That's another story. But back to the build ...

It goes together beautifully. Doug did a great job on this one. There have been some landing gear issues, so I used 2.5" Dubro Lite wheels. I also ran some carbon rods on both sides of the fuse. I don't think this was necessary, but I felt that ridiculous "need" to modify something. :D

Have fun ... and keep us posted.

Later,
Peter

johnhay73
10-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Hi Peter/omba,

I cracked the stick mount off the other day after in nosed in during my aileron self training. Fortunately, I didn't glue it in place. I only taped it in place after covering the fuselage. It seems more that secure using that method. So, by removing the tape it was easy enough to slip out and repair. It was back in the air the same day.

I will likely get the AP version of the Magpie sometime next year. I wanted to do some training before I setup a dedicated AP ship with its expensive cargo.

The Magpie is truely a great slow flyer. I started on a T-hawk. The T-hawk is a great flyer but can't slow down as much as the 'pie. The Magpie will do nice 10' radius circles at a walking pace. I love it!

I did a little custom work on the sport wing. I put in dual aileron servos so I could take advantage of the flaperon mixing on my radio. Here is an in-progress picture.

And here is the complete slowflyer.

Here is a list of what makes it go:
Himax 2025-4100
6.6 to 1 gearbox
11X7 APC slowflyer prop
Apogee 3s 2170mAh battery
CC Thunderbird 18 ESC
Hitec Electron 6 receiver
GWS Naro servos on the back and HS55's for the ailerons

I am getting lots of 30+ minute flites with mostly 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and a few full throttle bursts. There is no shortage of power here. I check each time it comes in and nothing is hot, just warm.

Peter, I read about your ESC issue on 'the other' forum. I wish you luck with that.

John

biker_ray_pa
10-27-2005, 04:27 PM
My first truly successful flights came on a Magpie (now departed, RIP). It took me a long time to kill that plane. It was virtually indestructible, except for the motor mounts. To this day I still miss it and often consider getting another.

For now, though, I have a MagpieAP that is about to be finished. So far, so good, but I'd like to hear from folks who've flown one. Any particular quirks I should know about? Also, will the AP with a camera attached work by hand launching, or does it have to be ROG (I'd like to do some pictures over a few wooded areas and the places to ROG are pretty nonexistent).

Ray

BTW, if I decide to go brushless/lipo with this rig, what would be a good choice?

Rugar
10-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Good luck with the build. :)
I'm curious to know how you plan on propping.

I will probably use a 11X5.5e, as that is what I use on the 2808/24 on my Groove. 26amps and 265 watts gets the job done nicely! Should be able to get up to altitude in a hurry.

Vamooska
10-31-2005, 04:15 AM
Hey Rugar...I have a Magpie AP in my garage..still in da box. Do I need to go ahead and put that bad boy together? Doug and I made a deal at SEFF last year and I have had it every since. I need to get that DX7630 camera up....gotta make some more jack with her.

I had my $low$tick up last week and ran her into a powerline:eek: ...winds came up...very sad day. camera box...ruined...tail feathers...ruined...ego...destroyed. Oh well...camera is fine...took it into Hooters for some closeup testing...did fine:D
Put the MP AP together?????

Rugar
10-31-2005, 06:52 AM
Hey Rugar...I have a Magpie AP in my garage..still in da box. Do I need to go ahead and put that bad boy together? Doug and I made a deal at SEFF last year and I have had it every since. I need to get that DX7630 camera up....gotta make some more jack with her.

I had my $low$tick up last week and ran her into a powerline:eek: ...winds came up...very sad day. camera box...ruined...tail feathers...ruined...ego...destroyed. Oh well...camera is fine...took it into Hooters for some closeup testing...did fine:D
Put the MP AP together?????

Hi Jeff,
Put that sucker together! I didnt get around to building my AP SS during the summer, and now that the windy season is here Ive decided to go the Magpie AP route. I hear they will handle the wind realy well, and with a co-pilot on board I should be able to get some really nice shots. I think the "Pie" will be about the same price and less work to build as a SS by the time I was to add all the carbon reinforcments to make the SS AP ready. I will probably still build a SS for next summer to fly in tighter areas.

Gerald

PS, good to see you over on this site. I spend most of my time here now, as the other site has turned into a "Drama Zone".

nakelp86
11-03-2005, 05:18 AM
My first truly successful flights came on a Magpie (now departed, RIP). It took me a long time to kill that plane. It was virtually indestructible, except for the motor mounts. To this day I still miss it and often consider getting another.

For now, though, I have a MagpieAP that is about to be finished. So far, so good, but I'd like to hear from folks who've flown one. Any particular quirks I should know about? Also, will the AP with a camera attached work by hand launching, or does it have to be ROG (I'd like to do some pictures over a few wooded areas and the places to ROG are pretty nonexistent).

Ray

BTW, if I decide to go brushless/lipo with this rig, what would be a good choice?
Do search for Magpie threads on RC groups (4 parts)
You will get yr all answers there

nakelp86
11-03-2005, 05:20 AM
hand launch is no problem
with the head wind U can land it on yr hat :-) it will stay in the air with 10 m/hr wind without power.

Ira
02-09-2006, 05:05 AM
Greeting All, Just about half done with a MP AP build. Doing it stock with an AXI 2808/24 & Jeti 30 amp controler. Question is what would be a good prop and LIPO pack? Don't have an AUW yet but should be about average. Camera will be a Nikon 7600. about 6 oz or so. Done a lot of flying and building but using electrons for fuel is a new one for me!

omba
02-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Greeting All, Just about half done with a MP AP build. Doing it stock with an AXI 2808/24 & Jeti 30 amp controler. Question is what would be a good prop and LIPO pack? Don't have an AUW yet but should be about average. Camera will be a Nikon 7600. about 6 oz or so. Done a lot of flying and building but using electrons for fuel is a new one for me!

Hey, Ira!
I would hope that sooner or later Rugar will show up again. :-)
See his post (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18605&postcount=8)above. You might want to write him directly.
As for me ... I'm going to "maiden" my MAgpie again this weekend. Finally got moved in with time to go fly! :D I'm running the AXI 2808/20 because it's what I had on hand. I really don't know enough about all these motors to help you out any more than that. :o

See you around,
Peter

Ira
02-17-2006, 02:56 AM
Hey Omba, This is my first eletric bird and the motors are new to me also. As I understand it the diffrence between the 2808/20 vs 24 is torque. Bench tests leave me very impressed with this motor and would guess the 20 should have more than enough power. The bird is done but the weather here also sucks, 29 degrees and blowing 30 mph. Realy itching to do that first flight but what can ya do.

Rugar
02-17-2006, 04:44 AM

Ira,
I would suggest getting at least a 12C or better battery in the 2100, 2250 size to to make your bird come alive with a decent size prop.

Vammy is having a sale on his Vampower 2250's right now for WattFlyer members (see the link below). I run one of these packs on my Mini Ultra Stick with a Axi 2808/24 and a APC 10X7E prop. I would think that a APC 10X5E with a good battery would give you all the power you need and keep the amp draw down. If you wanted more power you could step up to a 11X5.5E. The reason I'm running a 10X7E on my MUS is for the speed I get which is not what you need for your Magpie.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4596

Ira
02-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Hey Rugar, 2100 mah lipo I ordered just showed up today. Went with an APC slo flyer 9x4.5 prop to keep down revolving weight down,(vibration). Do you think this prop will give me problems? This my first electron fueled bird and any advice is most welcome. If it is relevant this is a stone stock Magpie AP. hav'nt gotten it on a scale yet but it is probably on the light side.

Rugar
02-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Hey Rugar, 2100 mah lipo I ordered just showed up today. Went with an APC slo flyer 9x4.5 prop to keep down revolving weight down,(vibration). Do you think this prop will give me problems? This my first electron fueled bird and any advice is most welcome. If it is relevant this is a stone stock Magpie AP. hav'nt gotten it on a scale yet but it is probably on the light side.

What battery did you get? Depending on the rating of you Lipo, I would run more prop then that, although it may work fine. Ive never tried a 9" prop with my 2808 Axi's. Running a bigger prop isn't a reason to worry about vibration, but amp draw is. Your 9" prop will actually turn more RPM then a 10" will. A Slow Fly prop will also pull more amps then a E prop. A watt meter is a must have for electrics to get dialed in.

Ira
02-17-2006, 07:23 PM
The battery is a Twenty brand from Hobbie Lobby. 11.1 volts 2100 mAh. Won't be running full power for more than 10-20 sec. How likley is it that I'll let the smoke out?

Rugar
02-18-2006, 12:58 AM
The battery is a Twenty brand from Hobbie Lobby. 11.1 volts 2100 mAh. Won't be running full power for more than 10-20 sec. How likley is it that I'll let the smoke out?

I would just put on a 11X5.5E and be done with it. Your amp draw will still be under 30 amps so your ESC will be happy. Your Axi motor will be out front with nothing blocking it from lots of fresh air. I run mine at 26 amps all the time and it comes down cool. Your battery is rated for 42 amps (though I would never trust pushing it that hard) so keeping it under 30 amps shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't even bother with the 9" prop.

muddy udders
02-18-2006, 02:04 AM
I just ordered my Magpie AP last weekend.
I bought a park 400 outrunner and CC 25amp ESC on the reccomendations of the LHS. I will be hauling an optio s4 camera.
I also bought the new DX6 for a radio.
Are the servos that come with the radio good for this application?
What battery and prop should I use?
I am new to this whole gotta build it myself stuff, my other planes have been rtf.
Thanks,
Muddy

Ira
02-18-2006, 05:28 AM
So here is the real question. If I get good flying weather before I get the bigger prop do you think it will be safe to fly? Also the ESC is a JETI 30 amp.

Rugar
02-18-2006, 05:50 AM
So here is the real question. If I get good flying weather before I get the bigger prop do you think it will be safe to fly? Also the ESC is a JETI 30 amp.

I knew you had a Jeti 30 from one of your earlier posts.

I'm sure it will fly with that prop, just not sure how much power you will have depending on your AUW. Leave the camera off for the first flight. Just make sure you don't try to steep of a climb out until you see have much power you have. If it flys good with that prop, just think how much better it will fly with more power ;). Please report back and let us know how it goes.

Rugar
02-18-2006, 05:54 AM
I just ordered my Magpie AP last weekend.
I bought a park 400 outrunner and CC 25amp ESC on the reccomendations of the LHS. I will be hauling an optio s4 camera.
I also bought the new DX6 for a radio.
Are the servos that come with the radio good for this application?
What battery and prop should I use?
I am new to this whole gotta build it myself stuff, my other planes have been rtf.
Thanks,
Muddy

Your servos should work fine. A lot of guys are using the Hitec 55's which are about the same specs. I don't have any experience with that motor to recommend a prop for it.

Ira
02-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Finaly got the time to test fly the pie. What a sweet flying bird! Only got a 10 min flight and it started snowing so I had to call it a day. Stopped by the local post office where they are actualy friendly and helpfull and put the pie on the scale. 31 oz even. Got to get a few hours stick time before mounting the camera. Smash that and I'll be sleeping on a very lumpy couch.

Kosh
02-25-2006, 03:29 AM
I find myself taking the camera off the plane just to fun fly it more often. I have lots of fun planes but the glide on this is just too hard to resist.
Im sure Im not the only one that just likes to fly this bird without the camera.

Kosh

Rugar
02-25-2006, 03:33 AM
Finaly got the time to test fly the pie. What a sweet flying bird! Only got a 10 min flight and it started snowing so I had to call it a day. Stopped by the local post office where they are actualy friendly and helpfull and put the pie on the scale. 31 oz even. Got to get a few hours stick time before mounting the camera. Smash that and I'll be sleeping on a very lumpy couch.

Which prop did you go with?

Ira
02-25-2006, 06:06 AM
Still got the 9x4.5 slow flyer on there. Just hav'nt gotten around to ordering a bigger one yet. Lack of power is a non issue. Climb out is very strong but a larger prop might give longer duration?

xray328
03-11-2006, 02:06 AM
Oops!

xray328
03-11-2006, 02:07 AM
Do you guys think an Esskay 400 outrunner with a 3S1P would be enough for this bird? I'm concerned because hobby lobby lists this motor for planes up to 16oz. I had a non-AP magpie that weighed in at 22 oz. I guess I build heavy. I don't need 3d or anything. I'm not sure if the 16 oz is for 3d planes or not. I definetly want an outrunner setup though. I was just hoping I could get away with the Esskay. BTW I am limited to 18A becuae of the Thunderbird 18 I'm using.

muddy udders
03-11-2006, 03:44 AM
I finally got my magpie flying with the camera. I set it up to take pictures every 15 seconds plus I had manual shutter control also.
Here are a few shots I liked.
The park 400 outrunner has plenty of power, It will hang on the prop. I am running a 10x4.7 prop and a e-flight 3cell 2100mah lipo.
I haven't weighed the magpie yet though.

muddy udders
03-11-2006, 03:56 AM
A couple more shots on it's maiden flight
First one is the Magpie with a crappy cam for ballast and the second is the Magpie thermaling with a red tail hawk. There were actually three hawks that flew over and hooked up in the thermal and I just followed their lead. The magpie thermals better than my ABX.

Ira
03-11-2006, 06:00 AM
Very nice Muddy, Think ya got enough runway there?

muddy udders
03-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Well it is a little tight. :D

I went to the post office and weighed the magpie last night
The wing weighed 7.6 oz w/ a quarter in it.
The fuse with camera and battery weighed 1lb 6.4oz
for a total AUW of 30oz.
Not bad at all.
Camera is the Optio s4. My other cam weighs 3oz more.
I added two CF spars on the horizontal stab and used CF tubing for the rubber band hold downs.
Those were the only deviations from the build.

aviatordave
03-12-2006, 05:43 PM
I like it!

looks like you got a decent plane. I like your color scheme - it might of took you longer to do but looks to be worth the time. So do you have any plans for more AP with this plane? I stayed on track with the build as well, mine weighs 34 oz with my optio s5z and prism.

post more pics!

Dave

muddy udders
03-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks aviatordave,

I have lots of plans for more AP. I want to get some decent pics of the plant where I work and the semi local geothermal field and the list goes on and on. I am just waiting for some decent weather.

I have a question for you, Do you know if anyone is powering their optios from their planes and what camera settings have you found work the best?

Muddy

aviatordave
03-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Here is what I was recommended to try, "..In just the program mode and fixed focus using the mountians..my shots previously were comming out soft..lacked sharpness and any snap. I ended up moving the sharpness, saturation one click to the right, and the contrast one click to the left, increased the EV to .7"

thats for the optio s5z, but it might work for you. I have not heard of a way to power the cam from the plane, but if you need more batteries - look on ebay..they are pretty cheap there.

Dave

nakelp86
03-12-2006, 10:24 PM
usually battery in a cam should last you for way over 200 pixs.
I noticed one thing with pocked digital cameras, same model but they may vary slightly in the lense department.
best bet shoot 200 pixs let say 10 on each setting make notes and compare.
I shoot with Optio S5i and have it set on user/landscape w/flash (only to see when I take picture).
most comes decent. Ideal sollution is the cam with A and S priority settings.
Anything more than 5MPxl is a waiste of money unless you print poster size.

tandemssafetyguy
03-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Maidened my Magpie today. Park 400 10x6 prop 3 cell 2100 Lipo. Flew great! Got some shots with my Blipcam. I need to change the angle. Got some good shots of myself. I am going to change the prop to an 11x4.7 to see if it will fly slower.

aviatordave
03-15-2006, 02:50 AM
Maidened my Magpie today. Park 400 10x6 prop 3 cell 2100 Lipo. Flew great! Got some shots with my Blipcam. I need to change the angle. Got some good shots of myself. I am going to change the prop to an 11x4.7 to see if it will fly slower.

ok..your obligated to post some pics of your virgin flight!

Rugar
03-15-2006, 02:54 AM
ok..your obligated to post some pics of your virgin flight!

I second that!

tandemssafetyguy
03-15-2006, 03:04 AM
I will try to get some up soon. Camera angle was bad so not too much exciting.

aviatordave
03-15-2006, 03:11 AM
I will try to get some up soon. Camera angle was bad so not too much exciting.

anything is better than nothing :)

tandemssafetyguy
03-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Here is my first attempt at posting pictures.

aviatordave
03-15-2006, 04:15 PM
cool...you even got the self portrait in there.......good job

tandemssafetyguy
03-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks. I flew again this morning with the 11x4.7 prop. Flew better, in my opinion, for taking pics. Unfortunately, my servo wire fell across the lens and is right across the middle of every picture. I will adjust tihings and try again Friday. The Magpie is a fantastic flyer. Almost lands itself but takeoffs are a little crazy. Wants to try to go in a circle to the right. I am only using one washer for right thrust. Is that too much? Or should i just dial in some left rudder until I take off?

Rugar
03-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Thanks. I flew again this morning with the 11x4.7 prop. Flew better, in my opinion, for taking pics. Unfortunately, my servo wire fell across the lens and is right across the middle of every picture. I will adjust tihings and try again Friday. The Magpie is a fantastic flyer. Almost lands itself but takeoffs are a little crazy. Wants to try to go in a circle to the right. I am only using one washer for right thrust. Is that too much? Or should i just dial in some left rudder until I take off?

Fly the plane at a slow cruising speed and then go to WOT and see if it wants to start pulling hard to the right. If it does, take some right thrust out.

Congrats on your first pics!

tandemssafetyguy
03-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks, I wil try that. I am also going to take a good look at my landing gear. It may not be aligned right and could be steering the plane while it is on the ground.

aviatordave
03-16-2006, 03:07 AM

Well at least you got most of the bugs out of it. I think that your going to have a higher 'P' factor in my opinion with these light electrics than you will with the slimers. The 11 inch prop swinging on a relatively light airframe will cause it to wander. I have a 12 x 8e APC on my magpie and I have to use alot of rudder for take off, but take offs are usually just a few feet ;)

I didnt incorporate any right thrust, but probably could (and should) I just learned to deal with it in the air.

Dont feel bad about the wire in front of the camera...I flew for 20 minutes taking pictures every couple seconds of the neighborhood and our lake. Well once I landed I noticed the camera was not even turned on. What a waste of a perfectly good flying day and battery charge....it suddenly got overcast after that so I didnt fly again that day.

Post some info of your set up & camera, I'd enjoy seeing it.

Dave

tandemssafetyguy
03-17-2006, 01:27 AM
I have discovered that my landing gear is loose. I think that is causing it to wander on takeoffs. I will try it tomorrow moring and see if it works better with the gear tightened up. I have no problems in the air with the plane. It is a sweet flying plane. I will get a picture of my plane and try to upload it tomorrow with some more pictures if things go ok. I am working at my online class now so I better get back to work. I'd rather be flying.

tandemssafetyguy
03-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Loose landing gear was the problem. Things are working great now.

Rugar
03-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Loose landing gear was the problem. Things are working great now.

Glad to hear you found the problem.

tandemssafetyguy
03-21-2006, 02:04 AM
Took this today at the Balloon Park in Albuquerque. The Hot Air Balloon Museum is in the center with the skyline of downtown Albuquerque in the back.

tandemssafetyguy
04-25-2006, 08:33 PM
I crashed my Magpie AP. I thought you would like to know that Brian at Mountain Models gave me great service on getting replacement parts.

aviatordave
04-27-2006, 01:49 AM
I crashed my Magpie AP. I thought you would like to know that Brian at Mountain Models gave me great service on getting replacement parts.

I know you didnt want anyone to ask...but fill us in on what happened to your plane and equipment. Are you rebuilding or getting new?

Dave

tandemssafetyguy
04-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Ok, I should have known someone would ask. I knocked my rudder loose going out the garage door. I was too excited about flying my new camera and did not check things out thouroughly enough. (Stupid) Lost my my rudder later on the maiden flight with my Aiptek MVPR. I could not control it so it lawndarted into the ground. Broke my motor shaft, destroyed the nose of the plane. The camera broke loose from the home built mount which was good, it helped absorb the impact. Camera is ok. Video is about 30 seconds long before the crash. Camera worked great. I am anxious to try it again. Brian is sending me a new motor mount and nose that I can graft into the plane. I will then glass it for strenght. Hope to be flying again by next week

aviatordave
04-27-2006, 02:10 AM
well, its not too bad then...your recovering from it! Can you post the video for us ?

if its worth anything, I always feel better knowing it was a mechanical error rather than pilot error....

tandemssafetyguy
04-28-2006, 03:11 PM
It wes pilot error, he did not do a safety check on his plane. I will try to post the video later on. It is not much.