PDA

View Full Version : "Project Globetrotter"

Pages : [1] 2 3

stinkweed007
04-30-2007, 07:38 AM
I had a crazy idea when I woke up this morning...

How about I buy a plane.. a rugged, durable plane like an easystar or wing dragon.. something that most anyone can fly..

beg Marc or Mike for some WattFlyer stickers to put on it..

I take a few pictures of it showing it here in Wiesbaden.. then Fly it here in Wiesbaden, slap a local tourist sticker or two on the wing or fuselage.. put together a light weight shipping case, then send it to somebody along a "route" around the world.. like, I send it East... then the next pilot does the same.. take a few pics in their town state or country.. fly it.. upgrade if they want, then they put stickers on it, and send it East.. and so on and so on... the more, the better.. until it comes back to Wiesbaden.. then I send it to Marc or Mike in time for WattFlyers Next birthday on 08.

and we track it all here in pics and vids along the way..

Participants would have to understand that it will cost money to ship from their location to the next and that mailing addresses would only be shared between each point...

This would be the first R/C plane ever to be " 'Flown' around the Globe "

Any Takers??

if so, post here your city, state/province, country so we can get a preliminary map going...

Don Sims
04-30-2007, 11:08 AM
Stinkweed, I have a few stickers left over from SEFF. PM your address and I'll get them out to you for this plane and a couple more for your own planes...

PS Folks reading this, I don't have that many so please don't bombard me with PM's begging for stickers!! Bombard Mike!

Saucerguy2
05-01-2007, 01:07 AM
I think that's a great idea, a huge logistix effort, but doable. Count me in when it gets close to Tacoma Wa.

Also, I gotta ask, would anybody be offended if I made my own Watt Flyer stickers to place on my planes?

Grasshopper
05-01-2007, 01:10 AM
I'm in! Will it have a TX and Rx with it or will it need to be on a certain frequency? All I have is a DX6

smokejohnson
05-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Just want to subscribe, I think it's a great idea. Very cool.:tc:

I like the new smilies.:ws:

Grasshopper
05-01-2007, 02:22 AM
Guess you could leave the receiver out of it and each pilot could put his in then remove it when it's time to ship. Same with the battery.

stinkweed007
05-01-2007, 08:52 AM
well... the plane comes with a TX and RX.. the one that comes with it is a 4 ch, 40.695mhz, ch53, left stick throttle. but now that you mention it, I guess it might be a better idea to ship without the TX and RX for customs and Weight reasons.. good Point Hopper...!

Sauce, I dont really see it as a huge logistics thing, because each pilot receives it.. then after flying and photos, sends/drives it to the next pilot.. couldn't be that bad...

when we get a few more international and stateside pilots I will get the bird. so spread the word!!!

Son of Paleface
05-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Count me in , Im in Adelaide South Australia .... Ian White

Thats the bottom of the red line in the middle of Australia

It would be better if each used their own Radio, TX & rx ....because of different Modes and Charging voltages in different countries and it would be best if it had its own 12volt Lipo or Nimh Charger , Im into A/P , so might be able to hang a camera off it and post some 'local scenery' :)

stinkweed007
05-01-2007, 10:14 AM
sounds awesome!!!

ok... Radio not included... 12v NiMH charger.. on the list...

K CLOSE
05-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Damn cool idea Stink. I'm not only in, but I'll see about solving the transmitter/receiver prob. I think I have a PZ set up that I could donate to the cause. Not top shelf but good enough for this, no? That way it gets boxed and shipped complete from flyer to flyer. Your gonna have to (A) limit the sticker sizes I think and (B) find a way to collect any and all photos. Sending hard copys or CD's with the plane seems unnessessary, can we upload to a photo server somewhere?
Anyway, I've got my little area in NY covered, might even take it for a photo op in NY,NY. I work near the city and could do Lady Liberty pic for my area's icon.
Kelly
PS, maybe anyone involved (once approved by stink anyway) should add a link to this thread. 'jus say'n:)

K CLOSE
05-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Sorry, Missed the point/post on the transmitter, thought I'd send you one. How about donations instead?

Son of Paleface
05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Obviously , each flyer would have to send the plane on :), in good flying conditon , we wouldnt want to 'inherit' the previous flyers mistakes :{

stinkweed007
05-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Ok... so we'll do it like this..

TX/RX
will be provided by each pilot (mostly due to frequencies and shipping weight), but the electrics (servos, motor, ESC) will remain in the plane unless upgraded by the pilot.. in which case the upgrade will REMAIN in the plane and passed forward.

Batteries
the plane will be shipped begining with 2x 9.6v 1000mah NiMH batts and a 12 VDC charger because of voltages/hertz in different countries. and again, if the batts get upgraded to LiPo's then a new 12 VDC charger should be put in the box and passed on..

Stickers
The plane will be decorated with WattFlyer stickers provided by Don Sims. all "tourist stickers" displaying the stops the plane has made should be without profanity/obscenity and really be limited to themes/towns of the region. in addition, the flag of each country can also be placed on the plane but should only be one per country.

Pilots should try their best NOT to cover the entire WattFlyer decals.. many will overlap but try not to cover everyones stuff.. try and limit size per sticker to about 5"x5".

Logo's and emblems of commercial manufacturers (ie Futaba or JR) should NOT be used because this little event is not sponsored nor endorsed by them (even if you work for them). Copyright and professional courtesies apply. but you may put on a sticker from your local club, with their permission first.

Passing on
once we get the list of participants, they will be numbered, then it will be up to the pilot to receive the mailing address of the next pilot via Private message or e-mail between the two pilots.. no displaying of mailing address' in the thread or forum. although some might want to join the list once the plane is underway, and we want alot of pilots and we'll try to work 'em in, we will want to keep the plane moving in an general eastward direction.. it has to go all the way around the world for this to mean something..

when the plane is shipped to the next pilot, it should be done so in a manner which can be tracked online in case of loss or misdirection. The cost will be on the participating pilot.

Photos / Log
I will make a "template" post for all pilots which you can log your participation.

Photos will be posted on a fresh Globetrotter thread once the process has begun. as well as a map and other info.

Repairs
um... you break it, you fix it.. but if the sticker surfaces break, then send the broken surface along with it so it stays "complete"

sound right....:silly:

We have alot of earth to cover.. and Im sure it will get alot stick time in the states, but if you have friends abroad, try to get them in on it..

maybe we could display it at SEFF '08.. or '09

Grasshopper
05-01-2007, 02:55 PM
I think it's a great idea! Can't wait to get going on it. It would also be nice to have a picture of the pilot holding the plane. Even better if it were in front of some sign or monument in their area.

It would also be good to make sure the plane is double boxed and insured when it's shipped. May also want to put a couple of permanent marks where the CG is since we'll be swapping batteries and receivers.

Way to go Stinky! Lets make this happen.

Saucerguy2
05-01-2007, 05:56 PM
It might take off best, excuse the pun, if it originates from the most saturated volunteered section, so far, showing the states are the likely candidate.

Along the plane, it should be a Watt Flyer members creation that's cheap and easy to fix, this is the build guide/reference I'm pointing towards: http://www.qnet.com/~skif/plane.html (http://www.qnet.com/%7Eskif/plane.html)

I have several of these in my hanger, with the revisions I put in place on it, it's one tough plane so can handle plenty of abuse. With my style, I prefer dual ailerons and will have to make it so that it can be broken down for shipping purposes. As you can see, it's really easy to work on so there is no need to supply the tx/rx and the guy that created the original is really top notch, I've dialogged with him via. email a few times.

I'll volunteer the plane and include my old abused speed 400, 6.5" prop, 15 amp speed controller, 3 servo's, and a 9.6, 650 mah nimh battery pack, you guys are on your own for the tx/rx, they are a proven combination which makes it very easy to handle should we have to face the noob factor pilot wise. The charger should be left to the pilot due to the power requirments abroad, wall chargers that are compatable with the pack are everywhere and you can even use your lipo charger on it, I've done it successfully with several set up's.

Along the stickers, I think we should keep them down to 1" X 1" since I'm sure we are going to have alot of involvment and in the end, this will be covered with them.

stinkweed007
05-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Sauce,
<O:p
I have decided on a generic version of the Wing Dragon/Beginair (WD/BA)for this little escapade. My choice was based on the following.. <O:p
:ws: Flyability, this is more or less a 4ch trainer, I don’t want "skill level" to be a factor in the pilots involvement.<O:p
:Q Survivability, the fuselage of the WD/BA is very crashable / survivable so we don’t have to worry about a bad day at the field terminating the project.<O:p
;-) Reparability, parts for the WD/BA are available at nearly any LHS or OHS and the parts are cheap. no "creation" required.<O:p
:tc: Anonymity, I would like this project to be free of designer and brand name credits... this should be about the pilots of WF and not about someone's plane design. the WD/BA frame was sold outright to a number of distributors for production, so no 1 company or builder can say "My Plane" and somehow rob credit from the volunteer WF pilots who will make this project possible.

I do agree that this might pick up better speed if we start in the states.. and maybe "Go west" .. like start in N/E USA.. because that would make it end there as well.. I can still purchase and make the setup here, and when we get an east coaster to kick it off, then off we go...

I will pick up the plane this week, Don has sent the WF logos so they will be here next week.. then we'll get this started..

Tell a friend!!! and more...

Saucerguy2
05-01-2007, 07:19 PM
I picked the free foam flyer becaus it's not a commercially available plane, it never will, the intention by the original designer was purely to offer something that can easily be created and beyond dirt cheap to fix, you don't even need to order replacement parts, just hit the local hardware store for the foam and a little hot glue should you nose it into the ground 50' up, "I've wrecked mine in many creative ways in a manner, most planes would never survive", so that's why I wanted to present that one. It is really easy to fly which is another element that's addressed, but if you want to shell out the dough for something off the shelf, go for it, I just wanted to show, we have options.

Serious building skill really isn't required for that one as well, so wasn't expecting to take credit for some elaborate build and if I get your drift, the plane will be upgraded along the way, regardless, ultimately, this is your baby and since it's your idea, it's your call as to how this is all going to work. Again, great idea, this is unprecedented, I can't wait for it to start!!

stinkweed007
05-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Sauce,
Your idea is well taken, but like I said, I figure it best to have something that parts could, if needed, be easily obtained, smacked on, and we keep truckin..

I dont want pilot "can fly but can't build" (like me) to be stuck in the middle of the project with a plane he/she cant put back in the air.

WE NEED MORE PILOTS FOR THIS!!! WE HAVE SOME STATESIDE, 1 AUSSIE AND 1 EURO... WE NEED MORE!!! LOTS MORE!!!

max2112
05-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Stinkweed007,
I would like to volunteer and be a part of this! I think you have the Germany portion covered, but maybe I could meet up with you and take the pictures.
For sure I'll go in half of the shipping, too.

;-) Maybe there could be room for one small Bavaria sticker!

stinkweed007
05-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Chief
well.. since we are in 2 different "states" we could do both... I can do Hessen, I usually run to Wurz every other sunday... then you could do Bayern.. sure splitting the ship cost to wherever would be great!! Im sure there will be similar arrangements made by other pilots.. sounds great!!

max2112
05-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Chief
well.. since we are in 2 different "states" we could do both... I can do Hessen, I usually run to Wurz every other sunday... then you could do Bayern.. sure splitting the ship cost to wherever would be great!! Im sure there will be similar arrangements made by other pilots.. sounds great!!

EXCELLENT!!
Feel free to PM me whenever things solidify.

Balil
05-01-2007, 09:10 PM
i see a texas longhorns sticker on this plane in the near future... and possibly a brushless inrunner and esc :D

Son of Paleface
05-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Stinky , more thought from down under , this will take quite some time to "get enough pilots" , I have spread the word a bit...Maybe a few notices in the 'other forums' , to alert other possible W/F's. The Wing Dragon is not readily avaliable here (for spare parts) Multiplex Ez star/glider and GWS slow stick are
Also , could a reliable BEC be included , this would save pilots having to mess/charge with a radio batt ::o
Others chiming in on this should respect that this is your project and should offer suggestions only :)

K CLOSE
05-02-2007, 06:01 AM
Stink,
Are we OK to start posting the "project globetrotter" link on our postings to increase awareness / involvement?

stinkweed007
05-02-2007, 07:16 AM
SOP,
I don't know much about parts in the outback:tc: , but you might search for the plane in another name, like Beginair or visually search through the pictures, I know it sounds dumb but, that is how I found out that my "Junior Pro" from my LHS was actually the WD/BA.. it might just have another name in your area.

Stink,
Are we OK to start posting the "project globetrotter" link on our postings to increase awareness / involvement?

Knock it out!! I put it in mine for that very reason, you can also goto RCGroups or other forums, but it needs to be clear that this will be a WF project..

Don Sims
05-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Guys, be sure to remember me when it comes to the US of A.

Twizter68
05-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Count me in, stink; I'll slap "Welcome to Virignia Beach" and "I love Jet Noise" stickers on it!

MisterNiceGuy
05-02-2007, 12:26 PM
I'd be more than happy to fly the Sydney, Australia leg then post it onto the next pilot.
MNG

MisterNiceGuy
05-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Although I am a bit worried that by the time it gets downunder it might have gain so many extra ounces/pounds with all these stickers it will just sit there and look good rather than fly.
MNG

Son of Paleface
05-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Let alone the epoxy ect from repairs :eek::)

stinkweed007
05-02-2007, 01:00 PM
nahh.. If this plane gets hit hard enough to need epoxy... then the epoxied area would be the least of your worries..

Son of Paleface
05-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Well how about that , I found a supplier here in OZ ;-) http://www.dalcon.com.au/hobbies/wd.asp

stinkweed007
05-02-2007, 02:13 PM
so that covers parts downunder.. I will be starting the "stops map" tonight as they currently stand.. so we see the big holes we have to fill...

smokejohnson
05-02-2007, 03:10 PM
I would volunteer to do a stop by I still crash to much and there is no way I would want to be the end of the trip around the world. I would like to see it when it comes close to Oklahoma, if nothing else just so I can say I seen it in person. Maybe I can impose on Grasshopper when he get's it and show up just to watch it fly in Missouri.

Grasshopper
05-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Be more than happy to meet you somewhere Smoke.

smokejohnson
05-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Awesome, thanks :tc:

Grasshopper
05-02-2007, 03:49 PM
You might as well fly it too. Then you can put a Tulsa Drillers sticker on it.:ws:

smokejohnson
05-02-2007, 04:06 PM
OK you talked me in to it.:ws: Depending on where Balil lives in Texas I could pick it up from you and take it to him. Maybe even hook up with Rabbitcreek in McAlester and give it some air time in Oklahoma.

Grasshopper
05-02-2007, 04:08 PM
If you've got a place to fly, I don't mind coming to Tulsa. I have a sister in Tulsa that I could visit too.

smokejohnson
05-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Sounds great. I do have a sweet spot to fly at 91st St and highway 169. I would still be willing to drive it at least to the DFW area or go in on the shipping cost with you to get it to it's next destination.

Grasshopper
05-02-2007, 04:34 PM
We can work that out. Heck, by the time you and I are done with it, we might just use it for packing peanuts:eek:

smokejohnson
05-02-2007, 04:36 PM
LOL I hope not. I hope it can make it all the way around the world in one piece.

EUT
05-02-2007, 05:13 PM
I would be happy to participate.

stinkweed007
05-02-2007, 05:13 PM
good thing Im not sending an EDGE 540 or anything like that...

COOL got some more west coast...!!

stinkweed007
05-02-2007, 05:34 PM
do we know anyone in Aisia, Africa or South America? and what about our proud UK pilots? Im gonna bug Riverman so we get Canada on the wing..

Grasshopper
05-02-2007, 05:36 PM
good thing Im not sending an EDGE 540 or anything like that...
COOL got some more west coast...!!

How bout an EDF P-38? :)

stinkweed007
05-02-2007, 05:59 PM
well geeeze... it aint even had its molds traced yet... ;p

English Electric
05-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Uk Pilot volunteering!

I live in the South East [not too far from London]

I have a Wing Dragon too! Spares and repairs would be no problem.

I do AP. Putting a camera on the Dragon for an aerial video would be no problem.

Count me in.

Paul.

aviatordave
05-02-2007, 06:12 PM
I can get a 'Yawn...Iowa' sticker for it...Grasshopper is only a state away from me:)

so what will the wing loading be on this when the last guy gets it?

stinkweed007
05-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Groovy!! thats 2 more dots...

We almost have the US perferated... swing a few other countries in!!

Son of Paleface
05-02-2007, 09:07 PM
I have ordered a complete Wing dragon from the suppliers here , sans all hardware , to build and prepare a camera mount , so I'll be able to take lots of aerial photo's of Adelaide and the small country town where I live when it gets here :tc::ws:
Ian , son of Whiteman

Saucerguy2
05-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Going with the Wing Dragon, I can gaurantee it's not going to crash at my neck of the woods, that's a very simple to fly plane.

Something that should be addressed, in some countries, such as Indonesia, there is a strong chance it will get lost in customs or their mail system, this is that logistix I was mentioning, I'd hate it to get snagged out of the system due to a corrupt official that's not properly bribed. I just had to throw that one into the equasion since I have a buddy there and I even attempted to import something to no avail. He explained to me the horror stories about what goes on with stuff like that, so you are pre-warned about the situation.

stinkweed007
05-03-2007, 12:16 AM
well, so far we have not had any pilots chime in from countries of aledged mail or customs mis-appropriations...

smokejohnson
05-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Gotta have faith man!:ws: I was all excited telling my wife about it and she asked all the negatives. What if someone decides to keep it? What if it gets lost in the mail? What if? What if? What if?

I have faith that it will work. I think.... no, I know there will be great pictures, great stories, and a fun experience of being a part of something so cool.:tc:

JediFlyer
05-03-2007, 12:45 AM
I'm in...Wilmington, NC

In addition if anyone wants to do a website or help do one...I will donate the hosting for free.

Don Sims
05-03-2007, 12:50 AM
Uk Pilot volunteering!

I live in the South East [not too far from London]

I have a Wing Dragon too! Spares and repairs would be no problem.

I do AP. Putting a camera on the Dragon for an aerial video would be no problem.

Count me in.

Paul.

Paul welcome to the site!

GA-Flyer
05-03-2007, 02:15 AM
OK, I am a new R/Cer but I do live near Atlanta, if someone from here wants to do it I would like to be involved, if there isn't anyone I could give it a shot. I think we should get as many of the Big cities in the states as possible.

Doyle

Rabbitcreekok
05-03-2007, 04:32 AM
OK you talked me in to it.:ws: Depending on where Balil lives in Texas I could pick it up from you and take it to him. Maybe even hook up with Rabbitcreek in McAlester and give it some air time in Oklahoma.

Count me in this odyssey. I will get together with Smoke so we can move it south toward Texas.

Balil
05-03-2007, 04:35 AM
smoke i live in tyler, its right at about 5-6 hrs from mcalaster. it'll get plenty of airtime here in texas, its a huge state

Rabbitcreekok
05-03-2007, 04:39 AM
smoke i live in tyler, its right at about 5-6 hrs from mcalaster. it'll get plenty of airtime here in texas, its a huge state

I went to a flyin at the club field in Tyler a couple of years ago. Nice field, except for the trees on the south end, as I remember.

admin
05-03-2007, 05:13 AM
Very neat. Cool project and idea. count Wattflyer in for wattever decals in any size/color you want for this project and if there is anything else we can help with shoot us a pm.

marc

Slowjohn
05-03-2007, 05:26 AM
I could take care of the middle Gulf Coast of Texas. Can see the water from my front door. I'd be happy to have a small part in this Grand Adventure.

Standing By,
SJ

stinkweed007
05-03-2007, 06:21 AM
and it gets thicker.. thats 19 dots...!

Thanks Marc for getting in on this!! Don has offered up some stickers, so we got that covered.. but.. Anything we need huh? We need another Pilot, I graciously put in a dot for ya..

UK Electric, you got any mates who want to get in on this..? the more the better..

Son of Paleface
05-03-2007, 07:09 AM
Hey Stinky , You had better send the plane EAST , from you , cause by the time it gets thru the USA with all those flyers there will be nothing left , or it will be too heavy to fly ......I have decided to personally take the plane EAST from Adelaide to Mister Nice Guy in Sydney ,double the fun , and anyone else between , the ultimate Travel Trailer Trip (caravan to ozzies) some 1400kms (870miles) minimum, direct , one way ::o fun fun fun :Q:Q:Q

stinkweed007
05-03-2007, 07:18 AM
SOP,

Kool Idea, Chief and I (Max2112) are going to do something similar, he lives about 145km SE of me and I am in his town every other weekend, so after I do my leg of the trip, I am gonna drive it to him and then we will share the shipping cost.. and that looks like it will be to ya'll on the Big Island..

You really gotta post that trek on the thread!! that would be GREAT!!

Son of Paleface
05-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Dont worry , I have a laptop and a number of digital cameras including vid , so there will be plenty of shots to post :ws: ;-)

r_kopka
05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
I would like to join.

RK (Graz, Austria)

firemanbill
05-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Sounds good to me as well! sign me up

smokejohnson
05-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Count me in this odyssey. I will get together with Smoke so we can move it south toward Texas.

Done and done! Sounds great guy's.:ws:

Solid Hit
05-03-2007, 11:31 AM
I'm in the Upstate of South Carolina (in the area of Greenville and Clemson). I'm in!!

stinkweed007
05-03-2007, 01:14 PM
gettin thicker... thanks for joining in!!!!

New map will be up once I get home!!!

Slowjohn
05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Good Morning Everyone,
I wonder what I'd take to get Guiness interested? This is going to be something that's never been done before. At least I don't recall ever hearing of anything even close to it being done before.
Is there going to be a time limit for sending the history making RC model aircraft on to the next destination? The reason I ask is due to say bad weather like hurricanes, high winds, hordes of Locust, stampeding fireants, etc...:<

I'm Looking Forward to This,
SJ

stinkweed007
05-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Good Morning Everyone,
I wonder what I'd take to get Guiness interested? This is going to be something that's never been done before. At least I don't recall ever hearing of anything even close to it being done before.
Is there going to be a time limit for sending the history making RC model aircraft on to the next destination? The reason I ask is due to say bad weather like hurricanes, high winds, hordes of Locust, stampeding fireants, etc...:<

I'm Looking Forward to This,
SJ

no need.. I have already sent e-mails to Guiness, there might need to be a bit of record taking involved, I am waiting on a final answer to the requirements.

As a giggle, I also sent a message to the Harlem Globetrotters, just to make sure the word Globetrotter isnt singled out in their trademark..

stinkweed007
05-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Ok ya'll thats 23 pilots.. as far as location turnover, because the shipping costs will be covered by the individual (or shared) pilots.. we really cant step on anyone to "move faster" nor can we truly set a timeline for completion because of that stampeed of fire-ants which may hold a pilot back from getting some stick time..

We could however make a pilot minimum.. like say 40 pilots. and encourage those who participate, to send/pass on the plane as fast as they are able..

since we are not requiring funding, sponsorship or anything.. a big company could (and possibly will) accomplish this feat quite quickly.. but WE will always be the first who did it.. Living in the days of the Stealth Fighter and intercontinental travel, we ALL still know who Wilbur, Orville and Lindbergh are..

Grasshopper
05-03-2007, 04:58 PM
You're doing a great job with this Stink! This is going to be really cool.

stinkweed007
05-03-2007, 05:00 PM
You're doing a great job with this Stink! This is going to be really cool.

Thanks...

Tell me that when we get this baby around the marble!!

Grasshopper
05-03-2007, 05:01 PM
It will be interesting to see how long it really takes.

stinkweed007
05-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Im betting on SEFF 08

Grasshopper
05-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Maybe we can get a group photo of all the pilots at SEFF 08 too.

stinkweed007
05-03-2007, 05:09 PM
that would be cool!! but thats alot more logistics than the project itself..

While the Decals are coming.. we need a name for this bird... I can't just go on calling it "the Plane"

throw some ideas out.

Watthead 1
WattFlyer 1
Watt 1
Watt Traveler 1

something to do with the site... and the number 1 for being the first to do this challange..

Rabbitcreekok
05-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Global Flyer One

Global WattFlyer One

WattFlyer Global One (or abreviated as WGOne)

I like the 1 spelled out. Looks more important. And we are important. Aren't we? Yeah, we are.

I know there are some fellows in South Africa, Spain and other countries in this site who would like to get involved if they knew about the project. You may have a problem limiting it later, when more folks sign on.

I will be glad to chip in with expenses if needed. You should not have to buy all the equipment.

Grasshopper
05-03-2007, 05:25 PM
I'd be happy to help with some of the expenses too.

GA-Flyer
05-03-2007, 05:49 PM
In the spirit of Orville and Wilbur Wright, I wonder if we have a pilot from KittyHawk NC, or close to there and are there any other Hot Spots we might want to include in this?

Doyle

max2112
05-03-2007, 05:58 PM
I would like to join.

RK (Graz, Austria)

RK,

Awesome! Great to have you on board.

I like your avatar. The STORCH is a classic warbird.

English Electric
05-03-2007, 06:07 PM
and it gets thicker.. thats 19 dots...!

Thanks Marc for getting in on this!! Don has offered up some stickers, so we got that covered.. but.. Anything we need huh? We need another Pilot, I graciously put in a dot for ya..

UK Electric, you got any mates who want to get in on this..? the more the better..

I'm a regular RCG visiter on the AP page. There are quite a few of us this side of the pond. I think there would be plenty of interest.
There are a couple of guys in Scotland I know of. Could be a good area...

Paul.

bluejay
05-03-2007, 08:13 PM
I'd be happy to join in as it comes thru the states. Perhaps set a personal altitude record for it at about 8000 feet asl

Slowjohn
05-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I'd be happy to join in as it comes thru the states. Perhaps set a personal altitude record for it at about 8000 feet asl

Now if we can get someone from below sea level like New Orleans or the Grand Canyon or some similar place here on Earth.
I may have to construct some floats for it and send them along depending on if there's anyone else around water like I am on the Gulf Coast of Texas. I guess that will depend on a few factors yet to be determined. Let me know.

Standing By,
SJ

booma
05-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Kia Ora

I would love to participate in this.

Count me in for Wellington, NZ.

PS have you seen the dominator world tour thread in the slope forum at RC groups ?

Cheers

Simon

aviatordave
05-04-2007, 01:39 AM
I can cover the 800 foot asl

lol...looks like a lot of motivation here, lets not lose it!

kgfly
05-04-2007, 02:09 AM
Great idea Stinky, well done mate.

Son of Paleface if you can stop in Melbourne along the way then sign me up. Not much of a pilot, but I flew a similar RTF without much trouble last year so reckon I could manage.

firemanbill
05-04-2007, 02:17 AM
If we don't have anyone any closer I can take it to Kitty Hawk. Only a couple of hours from here.

I can also fly it at (or near) Langley Air Force Base, Home of the 1st Fighter Wing and the F-22 Raptor!

Riverman
05-04-2007, 06:38 AM
Alright Stink, count me in. I can't believe I'm the only one to chime in for Canada. Just make sure it gets to me before the snow returns, and I'll promise to use it for some impressive aerial photography and/or videography.

I must admitt, I find it a little intimidating. I keep wondering what it would be like to be the guy to have a non-recoverable fly away or something devestating like that. I don't want to be in a situation where I return to the Wattflyer forum with my tale between my legs saying "Uh, guys... there's been an incident. Wattflyer One is no more. But it's been a good run, right?"

But seriously, great idea Stink. Looks like you've got incredible support for this.

Cheers

stinkweed007
05-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Ok yall!!!

Thanks for punchin in Riv!! now we'll have a Maple Leaf on the plane as well!!
and don't worry about being intimidated.. This is why I chose a trainer for the plane.. she just needs to fly, and fly good. we are not going for altitude or speed records (and you know what I mean by speed) whe just need her to be flown, logged, photoed and stamped by each pilot!

Kgfly and Booma!! More From the SW Pacific!!! This is all tooooo cooool!!!

Bill, I love the Idea of Kittyhawk.. a photo nect to the monument would be a prized snapshot for this adventure!

as I stated, once I get the decals from Don, we'll get this thing going!

Please read posts 80 and 81 ya'll.. We need to decide on a name..
(I kinda like the WattFlyer Global One )

Im sure we will have some later additions, I only hope they show up east of the planes location...!!

do we have anyone from South Africa or the North Atlantic? maybe Hawaii?

kgfly
05-04-2007, 07:41 AM
I vote for: WattFlyer Global One (or abreviated as WGOne)

r_kopka
05-04-2007, 08:31 AM
RK,
Awesome! Great to have you on board.
I like your avatar. The STORCH is a classic warbird.
Unfortunately it's still the manufacturer photo :-( The build was scheduled for january ... well I didn't specify what year !

RK

stinkweed007
05-04-2007, 08:55 AM
ok... heres how it looks so far...

and more or less in this order

Phase 1 Europe
Stinkweed007 Hessen Germany
Max2112 Bayern Germany
English Electric London England
R Kopka Graz Austria

Phase 2 Downunder
Booma Wellington New Zeland
Son of Paleface Adelaide Australia
MisterNiceGuy Sydney Australia
kgfly Melbourne Australia

Phase 3 North America
Riverman Calgary Canada
SaucerGuy Tacoma Wa
EUT Carmichael CA
Slowjohn SE TX
Balil Tyler TX
Rabbitcreekok McAlester OK
Smokejohnson Tulsa OK
aviatordave Yawn Iowa
Grasshopper Missouri
Don Sims Dyer,TN
GA-Flyer Atlanta GA
Solid Hit Greenville SC
JediFlyer Wilmington NC
Twizter68 Virginia Beach VA
Firemanbill Yorktown VA
K Close Upstate NY
Admin New Jersey

Thats 25!! WE NEED MORE!!!

Somebody call the Mods and get them all on board... I have not heard from Kosh, or big Mike yet..

Don Sims
05-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Mods all notified Stink...

Sky Sharkster
05-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Hello Stinkweed, Put me down (up?) for Denver, Colorado, 5280 feet ASL.
About the stickers, you may want to reconsider putting them on the plane. Self-adhesive stickers are fairly heavy, certainly heavier than iron-on covering and you could be looking at several ounces of additional weight with 50+ stickers by the end. How about a folded-up World map packed with the plane? Each pilot could initial (marker) the plane, sign the map and have a photo posted here (pilot holding the plane), in front of an easily-identifiable landmark or sign? Just an idea.
My vote for the name is "Wattflyer Global One".
To BlueJay, didn't see you on the list, where are you in Colorado? If we fly the plane at this altitude, it may need a prop change. Shoot me a PM if/when you get it, or I'll do the same, depending on who's first.
Ron

stinkweed007
05-04-2007, 12:03 PM
I like the map idea... I am also including a Flight Log book, where every pilot gets a page to fill out... just in case Guiness does gain interest.

as far as additional weight from the stickers, I have one of these plains and it can fly quite well with about 400g of stuff onboard, so I dont imagine that a a blanket of stickers is really going to effect it toooo bad.

and you are right I FORGOT Bluejay... that was totally my fault, hadn't had my coffe yet.. and I was doing this here at work. no harm intended

Phase 1 Europe
Max2112 Bayern Germany
R Kopka Graz Austria

Phase 2 Downunder

Phase 3 North America
Riverman Calgary Canada
SaucerGuy Tacoma Wa
EUT Carmichael CA
Bluejay Colorado
SkySharkster Denver CO
Slowjohn SE TX
Balil Tyler TX
Smokejohnson Tulsa OK
aviatordave Yawn Iowa
Grasshopper Missouri
Don Sims Dyer,TN
GA-Flyer Atlanta GA
Solid Hit Greenville SC
JediFlyer Wilmington NC
Firemanbill Yorktown VA
K Close Upstate NY
Admin New Jersey

Mods all notified Stink...

Thanks Don!!

Slowjohn
05-04-2007, 01:34 PM
ok... heres how it looks so far...

and more or less in this order

Phase 1 Europe
Max2112 Bayern Germany
R Kopka Graz Austria

Phase 2 Downunder

Phase 3 North America
Riverman Calgary Canada
SaucerGuy Tacoma Wa
EUT Carmichael CA
Slowjohn SE TX
Balil Tyler TX
Smokejohnson Tulsa OK
aviatordave Yawn Iowa
Grasshopper Missouri
Don Sims Dyer,TN
GA-Flyer Atlanta GA
Solid Hit Greenville SC
JediFlyer Wilmington NC
Firemanbill Yorktown VA
K Close Upstate NY
Admin New Jersey

Thats 25!! WE NEED MORE!!!

Somebody call the Mods and get them all on board... I have not heard from Kosh, or big Mike yet..

...but I done sent out about 20 invitations,::o. How about that High School located in New York I think it was that has a RC Class? Anyone know about them? I think his handle is Mr. Clean.

Standing By,
SJ

Mike Parsons
05-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Love the project. Count me in. I could be put after GA-flyer, so local hand off is possible and then ship to Solid or whomever is in next in line.

We could do some special coverage here at WattFlyer. I have been researching some mods to add to the functionality of the site. One is a wikki style database that might fit perfect to document the journey. Everyone could add their own article with media and then the next person, etc etc.

aviatordave
05-04-2007, 06:06 PM
could this be something that Guiness record book would be interested in? I dont think this has been attempted before

[edit...all ready saw it was discussed]

<edit...i saw="" this="" mentioned="" earlier="">

<edit..already about="" talked="">

<edit...i about="" talked="" see="" you="" guys="" already="" this=""></edit...i></edit..already></edit...i>

bluejay
05-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I live in south central Colorado, near the town of Center. Since I live and fly at 8000"asl ,the flight would be just another historic event, not something I'd do at risk to the plane. So I'm really looking forward to partisipating. Thanks for including me.!!:D

Rabbitcreekok
05-04-2007, 08:25 PM
do we have anyone from South Africa or the North Atlantic? maybe Hawaii?

I sent a PM to Geoff Gino in South Africa. Hopefully he will get on board.

aviatordave
05-04-2007, 08:34 PM
I sent a pm to a guy in Hong Kong & Hawaii

Son of Paleface
05-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Ive also been "spreading the word" on other forums ect , likehttp://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=191505#post191505
read my bit at the end

Kgfly , No david murry's :tc: , PM me your address when the time comes :ws:

Son of Paleface
05-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Got to thinkin (ouch headpain) about the name of the plane...who was the FIRST to fly around the world , was it Whiley Post ??....I think it should be named in honour of that person :)

K CLOSE
05-05-2007, 03:41 AM
Guy goes away for a few days and theres 5 pages. WOW. Going strong stink. As I said before I'll cover a Lady Liberty shot if no one is closer. Could also try to grab a shot above Vanderbuilts, Roosevelts, and Mills mansions if you'd like. I also PM'd a few.

Flyinghigh
05-05-2007, 03:45 AM
This is going to take a long time! I got to fly the In the Tigermoth World Tour over 2 1/2 years ago and its still not finished yet!

Good Luck Guys! Be patient and stick with it,it will be worth it in the end.

Mike,

Saucerguy2
05-05-2007, 10:56 AM
5 pages of threads and it's just now an idea,... GPS is now in order to be installed, will save the logistix end addressing wise significantly.

Again, what a good idea !!!

Son of Paleface
05-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Dont know if you like my Idea on the NAME for the plane , but I found this http://www.didyouknow.cd/aroundtheworld/flight.htm

I think "Wiley Post Flyer"

stinkweed007
05-05-2007, 12:06 PM
ok... more info... get your coffee, this is a long post.

first off... Flyinhigh, just delivered a shot in the arm, I was not aware of the Tigermouth project.. Although RCgroups is similar WattFlyer, I don’t get over there much..

but it sounds like they had the original intent of going just through the 50 states, but have the international additions making it tough to glue together.

Globetrotter has but 1 clear goal, a plane around the world (and not in a big honkin wooden box that would cost $150 just to move across town) so since this is the plan from the get-go.. I believe we will succeed..!

Moving along...

As stated before, I contacted the Harlem Globetrotters about word usage, and Guinness. Guinness has not yet written back, but I did receive the following e-mail traffic from the World Famous Harlem Globetrotters
------
Me to the Globetrotters
sent 3 May 07

Dear Globetrotter Staff

My name is Timothy FitzGerald (aka Stinkweed007) and I have a copyright or trademark question.

I have embarked on a project along with a growing group of Radio Controlled Aircraft enthusiasts who frequent the WattFlyer.com online forum (hence the aka above).

This project is to send and fly an RC Airplane around the world, more or less.

I gave the project the name “Project Globetrotter” because of its Global travel theme.

My question is, to you, would that be any kind of infringement or misuse of the Globetrotter title? or does your organization only hold trademarks and copyrights to the title “Harlem Globetrotters”?

I can change the name at any time, and would have no problem doing so, I am just making sure I wont step on anyone’s toes. I have no intention on using any likeness' or images of the Harlem Globetrotters in this project, this basically comes down to word useage.

For information about this project, you can visit the public forum at
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19141

Please get back to me as soon as possible, because we will be kicking off the project real soon, so that I can either make changes or continue on with confidence.

Thank You
Fan since Medowlark Lemon and Curly
Timothy FitzGerald
--------

Brett Meister/Globetrotters to me
sent 4 May 07

Tim --

Thank you for taking the time to email us.

I have a few questions and concerns regarding your inquiry.

The term GLOBETROTTER might cause others to believe that your group somehow might be affiliated or sponsored by the actual Harlem Globetrotters. Our team does travel and provide shows around the world, and thus our mark has recognition and use in many countries.

It does not appear that your group would be offering any goods or services that would be related to anything that we are offering, unless you try to sell t-shirts or other items memorializing the event that might confuse or insinuate that we are affiliated.

Is this a small group of people or a project that will capture the attention of thousands?

Thanks,
Brett Meister
VP of Communications
--------

me to Brett Meister
sent 5 May 07
Brett,

First, Thank you for your fast response, as I said, I have been a Harlem Globetrotter fan since I was a boy.

I have organized this project in such a way that there will be no commercial involvement whatsoever. The aircraft I have selected is not even centered to any one individual company or manufacturer. The only “gains” this project will receive is the personal sense of accomplishment of all those involved, knowing that they will be part of a “one of a kind” and “First to do it” project. As well as the free WattFlyer web forum, but only in the sense that many will read and follow this project.

No tickets, T-shirts or any other merchandising will result from this project. The volunteer pilots of this project are a dedicated bunch only interested in the success of the feat, and the projects funding is coming out of each pilots pocket to get the plane to the next location.

I am trying my best to trim any angle which might involve the payment of royalties or other concessions to any commercial outfit. Which is also why I wrote to you. I don’t want to unintentionally step on any toes.

As far as attention gathering, I am not the administrator of the WattFlyer web site, however, public statistics displayed on the site as of today boast over 13,000 registered (free of charge) users on this site and growing. Possibly the same in unregistered “guest” readers daily. All having access to read, track and join in on this project at no cost. So the audience will/can be quite large.

If this is a cause for concern, again, please let me know so that I can make prompt and appropriate changes.

Although, when it gets to the NY/NJ area, wouldn’t it be great to have one or all of the team autograph it.

Thanks again for your response. I will tell the crew!
Timothy FitzGerald
--------------
Thanks Ya'll for spreadin the word.. Hopefully we will get responses from those remote locations!!!

SOP,

I read up on the plane you are referring to but I have to say, we need to keep this project under us.. if we throw around names, however respectful, that links us to things which may damage or lessen the impact of the project itself.. comparrisons will be made and people will focus more on the differences than the feat itself (ie the Wiley Post flew solo.. we are going to be 30+ pilots) Great idea but lets keep this around the crew at hand!

More later (gotta take my gal shopping::o )

tz250w
05-05-2007, 12:18 PM
I suppose I could get a picture or two in front of the A-Bomb dome (they'd arrest me if I tried flying it there...) and a couple in the air at our scenic mountain field.

Max

Hiroshima

stinkweed007
05-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Konchiwa Max

Sounds like an awesome Idea.. but as you said, don't fly over it if local law prohibits it. Glad to have you on board!!!

I guess this would be a moment to tell all pilots, as Max pointed out, lets shy away from "pushing it" and trying for that un doable picture.. we are not Greepeace, we dont need to push Legality to gain Legitimacy...

Max, Do you have any other pals on the islands?

Flyinghigh Mike, do we count you in? ya didnt say...

Kat
05-05-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm in. What if we got multiple wings? we could get more stickers.

Slowjohn
05-05-2007, 03:23 PM
I like that idea as I'm sure that getting stickers from everyplace in a 2"X2" size may be unreasonable or not able to be done at all. However would it still qualify as being the same aircraft that flew around the world if it winds up using 2 or 3 or more wings. Maybe a lg. sq. of vinyl rolled up and shipped with the plane to each location that would be used to place the stickers on. Then it could be displayed much like a Flag at whatever venue the plane would be displayed at.

SJ

fdix
05-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Count me in!

South Switzerland ;-)

Balil
05-05-2007, 06:05 PM
ive got 2 flat foamies that im gonna put together and add it to the box for those who fly 3d, they'll be white when they leave texas, and hopefully be several ounces heavier when they get to stinkweed. :D

stinkweed007
05-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Kat, another from Jersey!! Maybe you could team up with Marc, he will also be flying in Jersey!!

Fdix!! This project would not be complete without a Swiss Flag!!

Slowjohn, I like that idea, however I will be sending a flight log book where every pilot has a page, there, ya'll can Picaso your page (front and back) all you want!!

Balil, that will significantly increase the shipping weight, once batts and electrics for your flats are packed in.. Plus WGOne is a beginners plane more or less and that is to make sure that everyone is able to fly it at every stop. Thoughtful idea but I personally have been known to destroy 3D planes..

Slowjohn
05-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Opps, I must have missed the flight log book briefing.
SJ

stinkweed007
05-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Opps, I must have missed the flight log book briefing.
SJ

well.. I only lightly wrote about it in one of the other posts but it seems to be the way to organize the steps of the trip...

I will show a page example when I get it done.

Twizter68
05-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Firemanbill, when it gets to me, do you just want to do a handoff? Be a good "excuse" for me to run up to your field....

Stink, I'll get a pic at the gate of NAS Oceana to go in the pack!

stinkweed007
05-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Grrrrroooooovy!

stinkweed007
05-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Europe Phase
Max2112 Bayern Germany
R Kopka Graz Austria
fdix Switzerland

Downunder Phase

Far East Phase
tz250w Hiroshima Japan

North America Phase
Riverman Calgary Canada
SaucerGuy Tacoma Wa
EUT Carmichael CA
Bluejay SC Colorado
SkySharkster Denver CO
Slowjohn SE TX
Balil Tyler TX
Smokejohnson Tulsa OK
Aviatordave Yawn Iowa
Grasshopper Missouri
Don Sims Dyer,TN
Mike Parsons Atlanta GA
GA-Flyer Atlanta GA
Solid Hit Greenville SC
JediFlyer Wilmington NC
Firemanbill Yorktown VA
K Close Upstate NY
Kat New Jersey
Admin New Jersey

Twizter68
05-06-2007, 11:42 AM
C'mon folks, spread the word! We need people in Russia, Africa, America Del Sur......

stinkweed007
05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Just want to point something out. I have been asked a few times about the order which I am laying out (in pencil)

Yes, WG1 will move in a General Eastward direction through the course of this project... but there will be a few switchbacks.. (and even more when she is underway) the reason for this is because many pilots will make personal efforts to hand-carry WG1 to the next destination. (none greater than that of SOP) once the 2+ pilots are together, they can split the shipping cost to the next destination, lightening the burden of any one pilot.

I hope this makes sense to the pilots. I am just trying not to have 10 pilots pass WG1 to a single pilot, then the single pilot gets stuck with an over-seas shipping bill alone..

cool?

Kat
05-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Yep. I learned that I fly rockets next to where Marc fly's planes.

stinkweed007
05-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Kat.. Cool, then that works out great!!

Update,
Well, it looks like we wont be setting a "World Record" because there is no record to break.. we WILL be the first. I am waiting on confirmation of that fact from The book staff.

EUT
05-07-2007, 04:53 AM
Are we in a race with the Tigermoth?

Son of Paleface
05-07-2007, 05:51 AM
( Dont mention 'race' to Eut) ::o:eek::D

Geoff_Gino
05-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Hi Stink

Count me in for South Africa. Make the packageing as light as possible for the send on. I might have to ship it back overseas.

Also the idea of not putting a Tx And Rx in the plane is good. Not everone flies 'Mode 2' and the pilot will have to meet the requirements of the law is his/her country.

stinkweed007
05-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Eut,
No, we are not officially in a race with Tigermouth. I only foud out about it over the weekend. but it would be great to get done first.. to be first...

Geoff!!! THANKS for punchin in!! Thats not only another country.. but another CONTINENT on the project!! Weight IS a factor which top on my list. thats why I am trying to limit all I can to get the box as light, yet sturdy, as possible... Happy to have you on board!!

Saucerguy2
05-07-2007, 11:13 AM
We have gained enough momentum now, let's get going on it and start the world tour, I think there will be NO need to fill in the gaps volunteer wise once this is officially started........ !!!

stinkweed007
05-07-2007, 11:23 AM
The pause in this project is that I am soon to receive guidelines from Guinness as to what facts and documents we need to establish a concrete "First"

I would hate to get started, but then back-track when we get the word that there is something we need to be doing.. ya'know?

Son of Paleface
05-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Stink ,Take your time ,this is only a week old ,Rome was not built in a day :<

BTW is the plane the one with ailerons , or the 3 channel one ??

Saucerguy2
05-07-2007, 12:06 PM
WattFlyer is a big enough endorsment for me, let Guinness play a game of catch up if they need to....

Brian

stinkweed007
05-07-2007, 04:44 PM
SOP, WG1 will be the 4ch version. of course those who dont have 4ch experience can simply not plug them in, and they wont be needed. but I wanted to have the option for those who enjoy them.

Sauce,
WattFlyer and its pilots are all hoping for the success of this project, and all want it to be something. But, WattFlyer does not, a world first, make..

any of the prior military here, or anyone who has tried to accomplish something which needs to go through multiple offices knows, documents... documents.. documents.. its the only way to get it logged in solid.

Guinness is not in the business of playing "catch up". its one of those questions of "who needs who" and they don't NEED us.. we need them for this "first" logging so we gotta do it right. It's just the order of things..

stinkweed007
05-07-2007, 07:16 PM
:tc: The submission to Guinness:
-------------

-Claim Title: First R/C airplane to go around the world
-City/Town/Village: International
-Date of attempt: 00:00:00

-Record Details:
Through 40+ pilots in 11+ countries on 4+ continents, a single Radio Controlled airplane will be flown by each pilot, photo and log recorded at the pilots location or landmark, then mailed/hand-carried to next pilot in a general eastward direction until returning to its maiden pilot having gone completely around the world.

Such a record does not exist, but we are open to your ideas on how this could become a competetive feat.

The project has not yet started but can be followed at the free WattFlyer.com forum under "Project Globetrotter" my screen name is Stinkweed007.

the Guinness "must" answers:
Who? Hobby R/C pilots of WattFlyer.com. No sponsorship funding.
How? each pilot-fly locally, record, photo then ship (mail)East or hand-carry East to next pilot until completely around the Earth.
Measure? First around the world, possibly by amount of pilots/time.
Why? to be the first to do such a thing. Again, we are flexible, and can modify the project to make it something competitive.

Thanks

-Media:
This event will have NO sponsor. This event will be tracked and read by and through the R/C Aircraft free online forum WattFlyer.com
-This event is not in aid of Charity

Thank you for submitting a record application.
Your claim is now in a queue pending transfer within the next 24 hours.

-------------

I boosted the pilots and countries because I am certian this total will be met.. 9 more pilots and 1 more country... They were bugged because I wrote International as the town, but I was bugged because they made you pick a country... "We are the world...."

Saucerguy2
05-08-2007, 12:02 AM
The competition should be number of pilot's and countries/states/provinces/etc. covered rather then how fast they can be shipped. Once this gets started I'm sure we are going to get even more invlovlement.

I think it's good you are keeping this within the watt flyer current members, if we really wanted to push involvment, we likely may get someone on board that is less then scrupilous, be it competition or someone that wants to steal the plane.

In the end, there will likely be press releases regardless if Guinness is on board, I for one will reccomend posting the event through all of the major rc plane magazines. Watt Flyer is going to come out ahead due to that one exposure wise so it's a win win situation if done correctly.

Son of Paleface
05-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Stinky , another thought is , someone is going to have to send it on the longest leg , which is across the Pacific , now at the moment that could either be the guy in Japan or Booma in New Zealand :<............ that is if no one in Hawaii puts their hand up :tc:.......so I was thinking (more headpain) ::o
how we could help with these large costs ??:)

smokejohnson
05-08-2007, 01:56 AM
I've already thought about that too. Maybe a Pay Pal account set up to share the cost? We would already know the weight and the shipping label can be payed for and printed on-line. Right?

Just a thought.

Saucerguy2
05-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Agreed on Hawaii, I have a client there on one of the islands I'll ask about if he knows anybody that fly's RC locally, he's very reputable so I'm not worried about that end with him being he's not a Watt Flyer member as well.

We may have to end up with a final list that's non editable after this begins, take down every address and contact info at once, then coordinate estimated shipping costs through a common carrier, ie. UPS and average it out so each member is paying the same amount.

We then have to have a reliable party to handle the money and coordinate pickup/drop off locations and times. Now, since this is a Watt Flyer program and Watt Flyer is going to gain alot of PR through it, perhaps the owner of this forum could help in this area and even offset the costs. Even with those dropping the plane off to another city, there is still going to be gas charges.

stinkweed007
05-08-2007, 08:25 AM
ok.. lots of points.. so let me start with this.. I just can't make a short post..
WG1 will be packaged a light as possible.
The box will be cardboard and foam.

:ws: The box will contain
1x log book.
2x 8 cell 9.6v flight batts.
1x complete WG1.

::o The box will not contain
A Transmitter nor Receiver.
Extra motors, servos or other parts or electrics.
Any extra items not directly involved with the flight and recording of WG1.

I only say all that so that we understand that shipping cost IS on my mind, because MAX2112 and I will be splitting the sending of WG1 to Africa.. ect....

SOP,
in post 126 of this thread, I attempted to explain, due specifically to the shipping cost of the long throws, the route of WG1 might take a few small turns. but still moving in a general eastward direction. Many pilots have expressed interest in combining forces with one another throughout this journey so I am attempting to use that to the advantage of the project in such a way that the combined forces of multiple pilots sending WG1 overseas or internationally could be reduced due to the splitting of costs.

I hope I am not wrong on that thought.

Sauce,
Before I lay any guidelines as to the speed or location/pilot sums, I want to hear what Guinness has to say. They may have a way to make this into a competition, to which another group or party may wish to exceed. But until then, this part remains open.

As far as having a central treasurer, or funding pool. I can’t, in good conscience, propose such an idea as of yet. The Pilots have all pretty much decided how they are going to pass WG1 on. So the concern still is on the long throws.

Those pilots with the serious shipping concerns currently are Europe – South Africa. South Africa – New Zealand. Australia – Japan. Japan – Canada. New Jersey – UK. Those pilots can contact me personally via PM about these concerns. There we will discuss verifying the cost, and giving support to the pilot.

Marc/Admin has offered his assistance if needed. Even though I am just a 9-5 working stiff myself, I’m willing to throw a few bucks in as well. Those obstacles can be jumped when we get to them. but an ‘equal share in / variable share out’ pool of cash would be nearly impossible to control or verify.. however I am recommending that whenever WG1 is to be shipped, that it be in such a way that can be tracked by all online.

As far as what WattFlyer gains from all this.. I consider that a gain for us all. If WattFlyer gains notoriety and fame for this project, then we get more users, when we get more users, it benefits us all when we post here. Especially me, for when I come up with another crazy idea..

I personally am not gaining nor have I been promised anything (except a few stickers for WG1). I am interested in the project.. I want to see it happen, and I want to know that I was a part of it.

I have not pursued the magazines or any press whatsoever until WG1 is underway. I don’t want a deep pocket company to get this done before us. Once she is moving, then we can have the magazines, as you so eloquently put it, “play catch up” and report/track our achievements.

Just a little more patients, and we will get this all started..!

Geoff_Gino
05-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi Stink

Just another idea to add to the mamoth task of the shipping. I am just not sure of the cost implications, but once it's on it's way perhaps a sponser will jump in.

I thought an account with UPS (possible sponser?) wolud perhaps ease the cost pressure.
That way the person sending WG1 on need only use the account number for WG1 and drop it off at UPS.

Just a thought.

Saucerguy2
05-08-2007, 10:53 AM
The fact it's posted here means the game is afoot if there are any deep pocket companies wanting to do the same, I was just addressing the sooner rather then later element due to that, this is the drawback to displaying your ideas publicly, everybody can read them and beat you to the punch if it's just in idea stage. That's why I posted what I did along moving the time frame forward.

I'm glad admin is on board to help out wherever if we need it, this is what's going to solidify this project since anything and all things tend to go wrong in the real world so it's good to have some kind of backing. I also gotta reinterate, there is going to be a business side to this event regardless of how nuetral we all are about it so that issue should be addressed in the process regardless and I was pointing out a few of the basic elements incurred should we find ourselves in some kind of either legal battle, or if some outside as you say, big pocket company, exploits the situation. I also agree, we all gain by having more members join up, it also speaks well of our current members for taking this kind of unprecendented initiave.

Crazy ideas..... Well, you are going to eventually find that you and I are very much alike in this area, keep them coming, insanity is contagous. :)

stinkweed007
05-08-2007, 10:57 AM
ok.. it is apparent that I underestimated the concern about shipping costs. although WG1 in her box with the book will be quite light, I have been PMed and read posts about those concerns.

I have sent off information/requests to FedEx and UPS on what they might have to offer in the way of discounts for exclusivity and so forth.

Now we will wait to see if they have something to add.

I wish to be clear on my opinion of sponsorship and 3rd party involvment.

I am trying to gear this project to not need any help from anyone outside of WattFlyer.

Once you open the door to sponsors and other parties, they tend to want to push their desires on the project. How its displayed, how its documented, PR for them.. where WG1 is flown.. where WG1 is NOT flown.. ect... If we were to gain a pilot in an area where the sponsor has no service, we might damage the relationship with the sponsor by using a different carrier. so.. call me hard headed, but I would rather not have a sponsor, then leave out a pilot.

However, I am just one opinion in our growing crew, so I have requested the information from both companies to see what comes out of it.

stinkweed007
05-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Sauce,

The "punch" has already been thrown by posting dates on this thread..

its the body-shot and the hard right uppercut that have to be landed right before we claim the belt..

and as fars as the business side.. if WattFlyer pilots and WattFlyer itself get the bulk of the credit.. Then I consider it mission accomplished.. I think the Business side is only if we go looking for it..

Legal battles, well.. we just got to make sure we keep this as uncomplicated, documented and mission oriented as possible and I cant forsee us even talking to a lawyer about it. don't take that as me being nieve, i do know such difficulties exist.

Saucerguy2
05-08-2007, 11:52 AM
If WF, the owner want's to help out wherever, take it if necessary, they have nothing but good intentions for this project and as you can see, are not trying to dictate how things are done by letting you run with the ball.

Just addressing details and contingencies, we have many of them to cover in a short period of time so might as well get them all on the table at once. And as always, just my 2 cents only, ultimately it's your call as to how it's all going to be done since this is your baby.

stinkweed007
05-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks Sauce... Your comments are well noted.

But lets limit how many issues we put on the table, and keep them limited to the issues we are actually facing. like shipping costs, and I dont mean the shady stuff you spoke of in Indoniesia.

Rabbitcreekok
05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Just a few thoughts.....I signed on to be a part of WG1 knowing I would incur some costs, whether they be shipping or travel. Most others signed on with the same understanding.

I also signed on just because Stink had a good idea and I thought it would be fun to be involved. I did not sigh on to set a Guinness Record, or to beat someone else to the punch or benefit some company. If that happens, great, but that is now why I am involved. If this gets to be such a involved deal, it won't happen because it will be dragged down by its own weight.

Lets just keep it simple, the way Stink envisioned it in the beginning, and get it going. I would like to fly WG1 before I die of old age, waiting for the minute details to be worked out.

If the shipping costs are a problem for some, they could opt out. As stated earlier, I would contribute funds to the purchase of WG1 or to subsidizing the long haul shipping legs. I would do this by sending the funds to Stink for distribution to the specific pilots who have to ship over the ocean.

This is Stinks idea, he came up with it so let him make the decisions. I for one believe he is doing a great job. Lets not take the fun out of WG1.

stinkweed007
05-08-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks Jim.

Slowjohn
05-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Just a few thoughts.....I signed on to be a part of WG1 knowing I would incur some costs, whether they be shipping or travel. Most others signed on with the same understanding.

I also signed on just because Stink had a good idea and I thought it would be fun to be involved. I did not sigh on to set a Guinness Record, or to beat someone else to the punch or benefit some company. If that happens, great, but that is now why I am involved. If this gets to be such a involved deal, it won't happen because it will be dragged down by its own weight.

Lets just keep it simple, the way Stink envisioned it in the beginning, and get it going. I would like to fly WG1 before I die of old age, waiting for the minute details to be worked out.

If the shipping costs are a problem for some, they could opt out. As stated earlier, I would contribute funds to the purchase of WG1 or to subsidizing the long haul shipping legs. I would do this by sending the funds to Stink for distribution to the specific pilots who have to ship over the ocean.

This is Stinks idea, he came up with it so let him make the decisions. I for one believe he is doing a great job. Lets not take the fun out of WG1.

I Totally Agree with you Rabbitcreekok.

Stinkweed007,
Your doing a Heck of a job steering this project of yours. I for one am very content to have you at the helm and in control :ws:.

Carry On,
Slowjohn

Tinman
05-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Hey Stink I just read this thread, its a great idea! Count me in. I live in Western Pennsylvania near pittsburgh. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

stinkweed007
05-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Slowjohn.. Really.. thanks for the boost.

Tinman.. I knew it would jest be a matter of time before you jumped on!

Hey.. you dont happen to get to Shippensberg or Wilks-Barre do you?

Tinman
05-08-2007, 04:31 PM
hah took me a while to find the thread, but I found it in the signatures of the participants :)

Yeah i've been to Wilkes-Borough (im not sure how to spell it) not to far from me actually.

I've been to Shippingsport its right down the road, I dont know if thats what your reffering to though.... :D Good times

stinkweed007
05-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Kool.. Im going to PM you about why I asked!!

K CLOSE
05-08-2007, 04:55 PM
To quote Stink "I am interested in the project.. I want to see it happen, and I want to know that I was a part of it."
Thats EXACTLY why I wanted in, and why I added this thread to my sig, and why I PM'd people who I thought would be intrested ( some of whom just HAPPENED to live in Japan). This is your baby Stink, and as such I feel it's your show. I, for one, have NO PROBLEM mailing you funds to re-distrubute as you see fit. I personally COULD NOT CARE ANY LESS about other groups or records-- I just want in:Q . If Stink wants to wait a bit, I'll wait. If he want's to mail it out tomorrow, so much the better. I just think it would be SOOOO cool to fly a plane that was in so many places, flown by so many people. Any I would like to get the chance to leaf through the pictures and see some of my fellow Wattflyers, as well as where they live and fly. And correct me if I'm wrong Stink, but didn't this start out as a kind of "thank you for this forum, and all the help / ideas that come from it".

Tinman
05-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Kool.. Im going to PM you about why I asked!!

sounds good

Saucerguy2
05-08-2007, 09:04 PM

Just to clarify guys, I'm only trying to help address the necessary details, nothing more, I deal with people all day in my regular line of work, where details not addressed usually come back to haunt them. To me, personally, it's not a huge project, I've imported/exported plenty and know the hassle it can be at times. So don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to run anybodies show, and agree with how it was originally intended, a simple grass roots type of project with nothing to clutter up the situation or detract from the original concept, which as you stated, just supposed to be a bunch of us flying one plane, taking photo's and sending it onto the next pilot. Adding Guinness into the equasion and having another forum compete in a similar manner naturally adds more into the equasion, and I also didn't join up for that purpose as well, but since it's already on the table, might as well address the extra issues incurred due to that.

I think SW does understand my point of view, I just should clarify to some of the others here, this stuff is not ovewhelming to accompolish, it just takes a little organization and a full understanding of what has to be addressed, and like any large project, you cover each detail one step at a time so that eventually everything comes together with no loose ends to address after the fact.

So, as SW said early on, we need more participants, his next obstical to overcome is the shipping costs, that we can get a base working formula with real $ figures to work with only when we have enough members locked in place, this way you can just go to the carriers web site, plug in the necessary data, what, where, weight, dimensions, etc. and we have tangable figures to work with, until that point, it's going to remain up in the air.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing this one get started.

stinkweed007
05-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Sauce,

please dont take this as a question.

Yes, there are thousands of individual issues surrounding this project.. just as there are thousands of individual issues surrounding the normal pilot wanting to go to his field alone on the weekend. from sick children to the Department of Homeland Security.From spouses who want the pilot to pick up shoelaces and a TV guide to Police helicopters en-route to a scene..

I too deal with people in 3 languages and 6 countries on a daily basis. I coordinate things sometimes on a massive scale just so one little green light blinks in some far away office.. I've been in 3 wars and I'm still here.. so please understand that I know when and what issues need to be addressed and how.. I also know which ones just cause people to spin their wheels.

to quote one of my hero's. James Lovell - Apollo 13 Commander "if we trained for all possible scenerios, I would still be at the Cape training for the mission" which is a way of proving, deal with the important stuff and if something comes up, we'll get on it then.. They all came back alive.

there are currently 30 other pilots who understand the process of this project. I know I can count on them to move WG1 along without fail.. even if one blows a tire on the way to the post office..

So Brian, please, your heavy concerns about rare situations are starting to drown the thread. If you have a concern I would like to request that you PM it to me. I can assure I will address the issue.

Tim

Son of Paleface
05-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Well said Tim, or as we say down here "Good on ya Mate" ::o ;-)

Geoff_Gino
05-09-2007, 06:40 AM

A wiseman once said "if want to appear intelligent think of something stupid to say and then keep your mouth shut".

Well here comes the stupid bit.

I would just like to set the record straight about the 'costs' that may be incurred by individual pilots. I have seen no other pilots from the African continent come forward so I am assuming that it is possible that I may have to ship WG1 to Australia.

Courier companies also work on volumetric weight which is determined by the size of the parcel. Last shipment I had from the USA was a 15x8 3 blade prop which set me back $118-00 USD. Pretty expensive you say - well figure this, I paid in USD and my salary (pittance) converts to $850-00 USD per month.

Now I definitely do not want to opt out by any means, but I also have to put bread on the table and THAT will be a deciding factor.

I love the idea and if Stink can in any way spread the burden of the 'costs' I am all for that.

stinkweed007
05-09-2007, 07:05 AM
Geoff.. now theres a healthy concern. When WG1 gets to you, you can be certian that assistance will come your way quickly!

Geoff_Gino
05-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Hi Stink

Sort of thought that would be the case - Thanks.

Didn't really want to go public on that one but thought some guys should know what the consequences could be. Imagine WG1 gets stuck somewhere due to shipping costs.

stinkweed007
05-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Geoff,
It has been a hot topic. Im still waiting on FedEx and UPS about a possible deal..

Son of Paleface
05-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Hey you-all I just been talking to Geoff in Pt Elizabeth Sth Africa , on SKYPE...........:tc:
any of you guys on Skype ??

aviatordave
05-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Now I definitely do not want to opt out by any means, but I also have to put bread on the table and THAT will be a deciding factor.

I love the idea and if Stink can in any way spread the burden of the 'costs' I am all for that.

There are enough resources within the participant list to prevent a burden on anyone. You may be the only participant on your continent, - you will not be alone on this...besides - - - we need Africa!!!:ws:

it will get sorted out, all things do :)

Kat
05-09-2007, 06:17 PM
"it will get sorted out, all things do :) "
but some more difficulty than others.

stinkweed007
05-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Exactly as Dave said.. you may be alone in your corner of the world, but you are not alone in the project!!

bluejay
05-09-2007, 10:43 PM
I agree that you will not have to pay a disporportionate share of this shipping expense. If you knew how many military and ex- military types you are dealing with, who have learned one thing in life (at least) ,you will come to understand that you will not be left behind I for one will assist your shipping charges.

Airhead
05-10-2007, 03:33 AM
:ws: If you will trust my flyiing ability I would like to play too....
I'm in Alabamer....
I'll keep watching for what you guys decide..:)

firemanbill
05-10-2007, 03:34 AM
:ws: If you will trust my flyiing ability I would like to play too....
I'm in Alabamer....
I'll keep watching for what you guys decide..:)

with a Banjo on his knee!:silly:

Hemphogg
05-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Hey Guys..

I'm pretty new to the site but this really sounds like something that would be fun to be part of.. I'm just outside Toronto in Canada.. I'd love to put a sticker from Canada on it eh...:Q ..

Geoff_Gino
05-10-2007, 06:26 AM
Hi All

Thanks very much for all of the positive inputs and offers for assistance.
Sort of knew that it would be the case. There is a lot more of the good than there is of the bad.

Thanks

stinkweed007
05-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Airhead... I was wondering when you were gonna get here...

Hemphogg... No way ey? another from the Great White North ey... Thanks for jumpin in!!

Don Says the Decals should be here real soon... and there is some talk from Guinness.. Were almost there!!

Kat
05-10-2007, 12:53 PM
How's the deal on the shipping going?

Keep your stick on the ice.

Don E
05-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Wow, great Idea S.W. As usual, I tend to be one of the last ones to stumble on to the good stuff. I too found this thread on someones sig.

I fly stuff too, and would also be willing to help equal out the cost of shipping where necessary. You just let me know how/when?

So if it's not too late, Is there a spot on your map for Lancaster, Ohio?

Don

raad
05-10-2007, 06:50 PM
al salam alaikum ,

sounds like a wild idea .. and a risky one .. if u ever want to pass it thru caio egypt i would be happy to help out !! a nice pic with the pyramids?! hope it works out sounds cool!!
thank u
Raad,,

Mike Parsons
05-10-2007, 07:48 PM
wa `Alaykum As-Salām.

A shot with the pyramids would be sweet :)

stinkweed007
05-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Don and Raad, Thanks for jumping on!! I agree A shot of the pyramids or Sphinx would definately be a hotspot!! Ohio would awesome too!! hall of Fame there.. I spent alot of time columbia as a boy with relatives there!!!

crxmanpat
05-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Stink,

Count me in! I see nobody from Arizona yet, so I'll step up. I came in too late to get in on the Tigermoth World Tour, so this sounds perfect!

Please put a dot on Phoenix!!

Don Sims
05-11-2007, 12:34 AM
Hey Stink, the stickers made it to Australia, they make it to Germany yet?? What happened to that famous German efficiency??

stinkweed007
05-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Don, I am happy to report that the Stickers made it here yesterday evening, (work called me in before I could get a post in) I like the fact that they are of the New Design!!

I faxed off today the official entry to Guinness. so that is moving!!

Gotcha Pat!! more Desert sand on WG1.. I love it!!

I will put up the new map today, with a proposed route.

DamianWalker
05-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi All

Having only just read the entire thread, and knowing that it's coming to Australia, I thought WG1 better be photographed in the capital of Australia, Canberra. So, I'm in and will be happy to share the cost of postage out of both Australia and New Zealand.

Stink, let me know what you need from me to be involved.

Cheers
Damian

Son of Paleface
05-11-2007, 10:02 AM
I dont want to pre-empt Stinky , but Glad to have another ozzy , if you read the whole lot , you'll see I am going to travel from Adelaide to Sydney and anywhere in between ::o, and that now includes you , so when the time comes PM me your addy and I'll catch up :)
I got my own Wing Dragon today and maidened it this arfternoon , went good , bit fast for a/p , but it slows on the glide , should be ok ;-)

DamianWalker
05-11-2007, 10:26 AM
SoP: Yep I had read that you were going to do some travelling ;) . I may be able to put you up for a night or two, depending on my work, when the time comes.

Cheers
Damian

PS Nice Wing Dragon, where did you get it from?

stinkweed007
05-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Damian, Always room or another!!! Welcome on the project!!

SOP.. Im trying to figure out if you are showcasing your... (if I may) "WG1 Replica" ;-) or that snazzy car of yours?:tc:

I think your trek across the island is just so cool!!!

Son of Paleface
05-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Beauty mate , Thanks for the offer , Im bringing my caravan , but wont reject any hospitality ;-) :tc: I searched everywhere and found the ONLY place which had the 4ch one was an ebay dealer in Sydney , and found out that they have spares also , so if you want one and have your own hardwear it'd be cheaper to just get the main bits :) Ian http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330117078397&rd=1&rd=1

DamianWalker
05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Beauty mate , Thanks for the offer , Im bringing my caravan , but wont reject any hospitality ;-) :tc: I searched everywhere and found the ONLY place which had the 4ch one was an ebay dealer in Sydney , and found out that they have spares also , so if you want one and have your own hardwear it'd be cheaper to just get the main bits :) Ian http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330117078397&rd=1&rd=1
Well if your bringing the van you can definately stay, you see I live on 5 acres just out of Canberra, plenty of room for you to park the van.:ws: And also plenty of room for flying.

Thanks for the link.

Cheers
Damian

Son of Paleface
05-11-2007, 10:52 AM
:Q hahaha Stinky:Q No I just got one to get a camera mount worked out for "THE MACHINE" ;-)
This car is only my Tow motor ;-) for the caravan , my "REAL" car is a LEXUS V8 ::o:tc: .......... will post piccy if you want??:)

Son of Paleface
05-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Well if your bringing the van you can definately stay, you see I live on 5 acres just out of Canberra, plenty of room for you to park the van.:ws: And also plenty of room for flying.

Thanks for the link.

Cheers
Damian

Damian , yeah I got you , 20km south of Yass on the Barton Hwy , heading into Canberra ;-)

tz250w
05-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Somebody mentioned something about others in Japan... I'm already too tired and drunk to read back. Are there others here that are in the loop?

Just a question, again sorry for not reading back but is this a lipo setup so that we can cut down the shipping weight (no battery)? Participant's own RX, battery etc?

Nitro Blast
05-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Count me in!

I want to sign the airplane also, that would be neat.

crxmanpat
05-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah, pilots on the Tigermoth World Tour actually signed the plane itself. Should we do that, or just sign the logbook?

Nitro Blast
05-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Both!

(I'm in San Diego CA, but could drive/travel to assist if needed)

stinkweed007
05-11-2007, 08:51 PM
just the log book will do.. we dont need to have a John Handcock across the wing.

Nitro, Welcome!! but where are you from?!?

Europe Phase
Max2112 Bayern Germany
R Kopka Graz Austria
fdix Switzerland

Downunder Phase
Damianwalker Canberra Aust
Son of Paleface Adelaide Aust
MisterNiceGuy Sydney Aust
kgfly Melbourne Aust

Far East Phase
tz250w Hiroshima Japan

Africa Phase
Raad Cairo Egypt
Geoff Gino South Africa

North America Phase
Riverman Calgary Canada
Hemphogg Toronto Canada
SaucerGuy Tacoma WA ? ?
EUT Carmichael CA
Crxmanpat Mesa AZ
Bluejay SC Colorado
SkySharkster Denver CO
Slowjohn SE TX
Balil Tyler TX
Smokejohnson Tulsa OK
Aviatordave Yawn Iowa
Grasshopper Missouri
Don Sims Dyer,TN
Airhead Huntsville AL
Mike Parsons Atlanta GA
GA-Flyer Atlanta GA
Solid Hit Greenville SC
JediFlyer Wilmington NC
Firemanbill Yorktown VA
Tinman Western PA
Foamondabrain Lancaster OH
K Close Upstate NY
Kat New Jersey
Admin New Jersey

Nitro Blast Antartica::o

Son of Paleface
05-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Stinky........ah.........I dont think you want to offend Booma :red::red: but you put the New Zealand dot on Tasmania :sad:, :Q:Q;-)

GA-Flyer
05-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Does this mean the project is closed to anyone being added?

I think I have the best looking dot...lol (just kidding)

Doyle

Saucerguy2
05-11-2007, 11:17 PM
I was told to butt out, that's what I've been doing, will wait for you to get this organized and that's why I'm not subscribed to the thread, nor contributing to it any more, PM me when you are ready to get this started.

Brian

Tinman
05-12-2007, 05:05 AM
Looks great Stink!

stinkweed007
05-12-2007, 08:38 AM
SOP, you are right.. oops... I was a bit tired after work when I made this new 3D map... (easier to edit)

GA-Flyer, Since the project is nearing its start, there is still plenty of room for more pilots!! we are at 40 now!!! and once WG1 starts moving we will also have room for more!! the trick, once started, is that the newer pilots should be in an area we have not crossed yet.. ie when we get to you in Hot-lanta, we might have to pass on a new pilot joining from California.. that yould put a nitch in the path..

Sauce, I never told you to butt out. I only pointed out that most of your concerns had been covered, and others were a bit rare. then your signature change to "you can only lead a horse to water" was seen as a personal insult to me and others on the project, insinuating that I was ignoring you. I don't want anyone off this project, but your actions made me believe you had opted out. hence the question marks next to your name. I would like you to stay with the project, but lets worry about earthquakes when they happen. ok?

Saucerguy2
05-12-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm behind this project, don't read too much into anything else I do on these boards, I even PMed you about helping me build a new style of plane after the fact, I gave you plenty of backing in other threads after my last post here as well. So, don't wig out on me man, let this bad boy get started and move foward smoothly, we have a globe to cover !!!

My signature remains, has been in place in other forums in the past and will continue in others yet to come, it's there for a reason and do NOt consider it a personal insult by any means.

You are going to need me, the owner of WF, anybody else that has something substantial behind them in the business world behind you for the "just in case" variables, even if you don't need it, it's good that it's there and any detail not addressed may end up being the one that's going to come back to haunt you, so might as well cover them in the here and now rather then after the fact. Those of you that have also extended your own capitol and time, I'm giving a thumbs up. I don't want this to just happen, I want to make sure it happens regardless of any obsticals in the way and the more you have on board behind this project, especially those that are backing it up on the broad basis, the more insurance you have to make sure it happens, the better.

We are still friends right? Don't write me off, I'm behind you buddy. :)

Edit: This is now page 9, I think it was a good idea to opt out earlier or my email box would be full, what a killer thread response wise, 9 pages and counting and it's so young, good one on that "mate" as the down unders say.

Spencer J
05-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Sent PM :D

If you fly this thing too much, Al is going to blame it as the cause of global warming! ;) :D (its a joke)

There was a thread like this on www.rcgroups.com (http://www.rcgroups.com) with a TigerMoth. They wanted to get the plane in a AMA museum once it was done (Not sure if they actually did or not)

Spencer J
05-12-2007, 11:03 PM
I know this will sound like a can of spam, but I could easily give Stink a eHobby motor combo for this plane for free...2410 + 20A heatsink ESC would be ideal. I can pull verticals with this on my slow stick (Not that this is a performance plane). This combo is also durable, and I do not think the motor will get beat up (that bad)

Let me know what you think...

aviatordave
05-13-2007, 03:30 AM
good effort Spencer, thanks for stepping up :)

tz250w
05-13-2007, 11:48 AM
Yes, great idea (gift). Maybe a couple extra shafts and a set of bearings too? :ws:

This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that I trashed a set on my son's homemade 3D plane today...

Spencer J
05-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Personally I think an E-Starter is a better idea than a wing dragon since it is just as durable and weighs less which= >shipping$$$ :D :) Also, has anyone considered a formosa or wing? Those lanes are very durable and low $$$...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-4-CHANNEL-WING-DRAGON-RADIO-CONTROL-AIRPLANE_W0QQitemZ330118803107QQihZ014QQcategoryZ2 563QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Spencer J
05-13-2007, 05:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobbyzone-Aerobird-Challenger-R-C-RTF-Airplane-83-Parts_W0QQitemZ160112670401QQihZ006QQcategoryZ2563 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Converting that plane would be easy, and since the rx/esc is dead, the price should not go that high

Another durable airplane would be the Aerobird Swift, which can handle 4 channels.......

Son of Paleface
05-13-2007, 10:11 PM
I know some will want to do Aerial Photograghy including me , so we DONT want a plane that is small and flys fast :blah: I suggested the Multiplex EZ star or glider electric ;-) but Stinky settled on the W/D which may fly slow enough for A/P on the glide :<

Spencer J
05-13-2007, 10:22 PM
The glider does not take very much damage, and would be $$$ to ship (I have one) but it is one of my favorite planes.

The wing dragon is a bit fast - E-Starter will handle skypics. Please no slow stick, most people have one and I have too much fun with mine anyways :D :) Thanks...

stinkweed007
05-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Sorry yall... was with my kids all day today.. made some hoorible AVbecause I was not able to park the van on the field so reception was screwed being parked between buildings.. anyway..

ERC, alot of great plane ideas.. I made the selection by crossing a few popular wishes. 1 Stability, 2 Survivability, 3 Flyability, 4 upgrade/modify-ablilty.. and lastly, Global availibility.. I have not found an Easystar in europe with less than a 3-4 week shipping time.. I wanted a plane that all skill levels can fly.. which, unfortunately, takes a wing out of the discussion.. sticks are fun from what I understand, and I did consider that, but in the end, again, the availibility came into play.

all in all.. WG1 will be a WD design because it's design is sold by at least 3 companies under different names.. so it is quite wide spread, fun to fly.. sure its a touch faster than others but not to any intollerable level.

Really glad to have you on board.

Saucerguy2
05-13-2007, 11:50 PM
SW, do we have a ballpark figure shipping cost wise so far? I think the equasion is going to come down to where we need to have a minimum number of participants in order to make this practical in that area.

I hope this helps.

Son of Paleface
05-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Here are the cooling holes I did so the motor does'nt melt out of the plane ::o when I used 3s lipo's , incase you dont know , the scoops are plastic spoons
The holes were done with a hot knife and dremel :tc:

Spencer J
05-15-2007, 02:12 AM
Here is a great plane that works on 72mhz - it will take an eHobby motor just fine :D just a hitec receiver, battery and BAM....its airborne...and then shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HobbyZone-Aerobird-Swift-R-C-RTF-Electric-Airplane-91_W0QQitemZ160113488624QQihZ006QQcategoryZ2563QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

III Bones Air Force
05-15-2007, 02:43 AM
Sound great..I have some friends abroad that would love to be part of this your idea here.

Spencer J
05-15-2007, 02:59 AM
How about we get 30 or 40 pilots, and everyone puts in $2 or something....kind of like goverment taxes :D ;)

Rabbitcreekok
05-15-2007, 04:57 AM
How about we get 30 or 40 pilots, and everyone puts in $2 or something....kind of like goverment taxes :D ;)

Am I missing something here. I thought we already had 40 pilots, an airplane and a plan.

e.flyer
05-15-2007, 05:21 AM
count me in if it's ever in baton rouge Louisiana.
(this idea is amazing)

aviatordave
05-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Europe Phase
Max2112 Bayern Germany
R Kopka Graz Austria
fdix Switzerland

Downunder Phase

Far East Phase
tz250w Hiroshima Japan

North America Phase
Riverman Calgary Canada
SaucerGuy Tacoma Wa
EUT Carmichael CA
Bluejay SC Colorado
SkySharkster Denver CO
Slowjohn SE TX
Balil Tyler TX
Smokejohnson Tulsa OK
Aviatordave Yawn Iowa
Grasshopper Missouri
Don Sims Dyer,TN
Mike Parsons Atlanta GA
GA-Flyer Atlanta GA
Solid Hit Greenville SC
JediFlyer Wilmington NC
Firemanbill Yorktown VA
K Close Upstate NY
Kat New Jersey
Admin New Jersey

lets not lose track.....

Spencer J
05-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Do we have a plane?

Great we got pilots! If everyone keeps it for a week it will take a couple years to get though that list.

Son of Paleface
05-15-2007, 06:52 AM
Unfortunatly , in every group of people you get the ODD one or two :blah: who just cant see the forest for the trees :roll:

Geoff_Gino
05-15-2007, 07:13 AM
lets not lose track.....

I see Africa does NOT count.

Son of Paleface
05-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Dont worry Geoff , this is only a "rough" penciled in guide :)

Slowjohn
05-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Hey Geoff,
...Post #196 shows you have all of South Africa to yourself so far to fly WG-1 in. Stinkweed007 must be tired again.

It appears that quite a few haven't bothered to read the whole thread before posting therefore aren't up to speed as to what has been decided and already covered. This is one heck of an undertaking that stinkweed007 chose to do mostly by himself. I wonder how many of us would have run from just the thought of doing something like this and knowing the abuse he would be getting from trying to please so many people. I wonder after this is done and over with if he'd be willing to wake up with such a thought again?
Carry On SW,
SJ

Airhead
05-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Hi Guys,
Great job Stink! I'll keep checking back to see whats going on.. If you need me to do something, just let me know...;-)

Geoff_Gino
05-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Hi SJ

Actually it was AviatorDave that missed that and I was just giving him a little dig :Q

But seriously - there are as usual people trying to highjack the idea and it's sometimes difficult to seperate the genuine offers from the idiots.

Jim (SW) has had a great idea and I don't think he has missed a bet, as some one else has pointed out - he has the plane, the plan and the participants and those guys that have problems have let him know and he has addressed the problem.

So Jim very well done so far and let the "Games Begin"

Airhead
05-15-2007, 08:36 AM
with a Banjo on his knee!:silly:
:ws: Have you seen my Banjo Bill.... get it...Banjo Bill.. :silly:

Son of Paleface
05-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Geoff , I think there was mention of a guy in Cairo hoo's gunna take piccy's with the Pyramids :tc::)

Son of Paleface
05-15-2007, 10:48 AM
I tried a 'cheap' chi-nees ;-) outrunner in the 4 channel one, really boogy's:tc:
I just stuck a stick thru the original rear hole and made a new hole (tight) ::o at the front ;-) :ws:
I used a 3s 1800 ad a CC T/Bird 18ah speedy , gets up there lickaty split:)

Slowjohn
05-15-2007, 11:09 AM
Howdy SoP,
Which prop are you using there and how much clearance do you have from the boom? Would you please send me some photos of the battery compartment and all of the radio gear? I would go try to find one at a LHS but since the closest one that might have one is about 90 miles away (one way) I'd rather not go on a wild goose chase with the price of gas these days. My "Aircraft Carrier" only gets around 12 mpg highway, 8 mpg city. Thanks!!!

Standing By,
SJ

I tried a 'cheap' chi-nees ;-) outrunner in the 4 channel one, really boogy's:tc:
I just stuck a stick thru the original rear hole and made a new hole (tight) ::o at the front ;-) :ws:
I used a 3s 1800 ad a CC T/Bird 18ah speedy , gets up there lickaty split:)

Son of Paleface
05-15-2007, 11:14 AM
I couldnt upload all the piccie's for some reason , so will try again
Nope , cant do it for some strange reason , it only did the one??

The Panther
05-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Count me in.I live in a suburb of Adelaide called Sellicks Beach.On what is called "The Fleurieu Peninsula" Son Of Paleface lives about 20 Kls South of me.Just around the corner in Aussie terms.A great idea. Lets make it work.

Slowjohn
05-15-2007, 11:23 AM
:sad:
Thanks for trying. I was thinking about building something along those lines for my 2 girls. They've flown one of my other planes and decided it was fun and want their own plane each. No sharing with those two 16 & 17 yr. olds. I'm sure I can figure something out for them. Did you try emailing them?

Standing By,
SJ

Son of Paleface
05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Yeah SJ , the prop is out of another RTF , its 8.75" diam X guessing 4" pitch, 3blade ,about 1/16th clearance to the boom am going to try an 8X6 apc electric soon....really depends on your motor KV and volts which prop you use , this is 1000kv @ 3s lipo (11v)
Gee you guys should get your Govt to have LPG for cars like we do all over Aussie :ws: around 55c LTR :tc:

Son of Paleface
05-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeah SJ PM your email addy

Son of Paleface
05-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Is dat U Bob ?? about bluddy time :Q;-)

Slowjohn
05-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Count me in.I live in a suburb of Adelaide called Sellicks Beach.On what is called "The Fleurieu Peninsula" Son Of Paleface lives about 20 Kls South of me.Just around the corner in Aussie terms.A great idea. Lets make it work.

Welcome to "WattFlyer" and "Project Globetrotter". Glad to have you along.

SJ

Slowjohn
05-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah SJ PM your email addy

Thanks SoP, The pictures answer'd all my questions.

SJ

aviatordave
05-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Hi SJ

Actually it was AviatorDave that missed that and I was just giving him a little dig :Q

I like digs...:)

I just grabbed the last list that SW made and reposted it...there are prob a few missing areas.

A cool option to this forum would be a stickie in each thread that keeps important info like this accessible for everyone..I'll have to bring that up to Admin maybe for future mods.

Barfing Pumpkin
05-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Globe Trotting Plane? Go here and see what has been going on for the last three years with a little Tiger Moth -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419188

Even better, go here for the complete and continuing story -
http://www.cloak.rchomepage.com/reports.shtml

Good luck with the project. Hope you can learn something from the World Tour Tiger Moth people.

e.flyer
05-15-2007, 04:28 PM
so we aren't the first one's to try this?

aviatordave
05-15-2007, 04:34 PM
so we aren't the first one's to try this?

We are the first :) . The Tigermoth project is only for North America (Canada & US). We are attempting around the world.

But we can learn from their mistakes and their ideas. Its an interesting read...a logistical nightmare to some! But with effort, it all works out!

e.flyer
05-15-2007, 04:50 PM
cool, go globetrotter!http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

max2112
05-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Stinkweed,
I just PMed you with some logistical info/questions.
:ws:
Man am I looking forward to this!!

Son of Paleface
05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
I will try again...........yeah man:)

stinkweed007
05-15-2007, 09:23 PM
All,

Sure... Tigermouth is STILL running... many have read that and some are even on board here from it... Lets be honest.. it wont be completed in a day.. week or month.. but it will be completed!! and maybe others will learn from our accomplishments and issues...

I have set the maiden date for 1 June. Thats what I told Guinness. and if all goes well.. we will have WG1 back in time for SEFF '08 I am working reccomendations and issues which have been PM'ed to me recently about route ideas... I have been putting together an airtight list of guidelines and.. well.. rules which all seem to be cool with..

for maximum exposure, per ideas from a few mods.. I will make a fresh thread for the mission itself in the General category. I chose to put the project thread here to keep only the serious inquiries in play.. once it goes General.. Im sure many will also want to jump on...

Barfing Pumpkin
05-15-2007, 10:09 PM
We are the first :) . The Tigermoth project is only for North America (Canada & US). We are attempting around the world.
It was originally supposed to be around-the-world but problems with doing that apparently turned the project into North America and Hawaii, I think. Maybe starting out in Europe and sending a plane to other countries would be a better way to make the project global. Still a good idea, hope those interested can pull if off.

crxmanpat
05-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Stink,

Make sure you post a link here when you start the new thread. I don't get to peruse the General section every day, and don't want to miss the new thread.

stinkweed007
05-16-2007, 07:05 AM
already got that in mind Pat!! this thread here will close on the day of the maiden with a final entry about where to hit the Mission thread!!!

SOP,
Clean install!! I Like it!!
How, or did you, glue the stick in place? The only reason I ask is after enough launches, the stick might scoot forward and the motor, at a minimum, vibrates against the fuselage. ESC install (stick in place) must have been fun..

Really sweet install!!

stinkweed007
05-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Quick Note, I have been asked alot (sorry I didn't get back to you quicker HempDog)

Basic Instruction on putting a link in your signature here in WattFlyer.

After loggin in, goto your "User CP" (on the tool bar)

Then select "Edit Signature" on the left menu under Settings and Options.

Once you are there, you will be given a field (much like a Post window)

Type in the desired text for your link ie. Project Globetrotter

With your mouse, highlight the entire text you wish to become the link.

Then push the small Globe button (below the font color) on the toolbar.

A small window will pop up, there you enter the FULL address (including http) of the link.

the current Project Globetrotter address is: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19141
Then click "OK" now your text should be Blue with an underline. Job Done.
Project Globetrotter (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19141)