PDA

View Full Version : Loening M-8 Scratch Built Foamy

degreen60
04-30-2007, 09:48 PM
I started another scratch build WW1 plane using a GWS Slow Stick wing. I had to add to the cord of the wing to bring it into scale. The picture shows one half of the wing done and the other half started. The SS wing makes the top of the wing. The under part plus the added cord is thin foam from takeout boxes and foam plates. Aileron hinges are cut from diskette.

smokejohnson
05-01-2007, 11:41 PM
After seeing that wing it hit me "What in the world is a Loening M-8?" I googled it and found some pictures very neat looking plane. Good luck with the build.

degreen60
05-02-2007, 12:48 AM
After seeing that wing it hit me "What in the world is a Loening M-8?" I googled it and found some pictures very neat looking plane. Good luck with the build.

Thanks

There are 6 things that made me want to build this plane. 1 it was delveloped for WW1(prototype flew before war ended). 2 only one wing. 3 the Navy used them(can have floats). 4 it is not something that you can buy off the shelf. 5 slab sided. 6 built in the USA.

smokejohnson
05-02-2007, 02:04 AM
I like it. Can't wait to see it come to life.

degreen60
05-04-2007, 12:55 AM
I have the fuselage cut out. The top and bottom are just straight long rectangles. When glued onto the sides at 90 degrees will form a box.

smokejohnson
05-04-2007, 03:52 AM
What are you thinking your AUW will be? Watt are your plans for a power system?

degreen60
05-04-2007, 04:38 AM
What are you thinking your AUW will be? Watt are your plans for a power system?

I think it should weight close to a pound. I have an Albatros that weights right at pound and power is 6 Nimh cells and a 2410-8Y with 9070 prop. I will try this setup in the plane first. If this is not enough power I will probably change to a 2410-09Y with 1080 or 1180. I have a Camel with this setup that weights little over a pound. Another thing I might try is an unmodified brushless motor salvaged from a tape drive. I have one of these in my GWS Slow Stick F which uses the same wing but I think this plane will weight more and need more power.

degreen60
05-04-2007, 11:00 PM
The wing is almost finished. I just need to paint and install a servo. The fuselage is taking shape. Needs the nose finished.

Saucerguy2
05-04-2007, 11:16 PM
I can't wait to see it finished.

degreen60
05-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Here are a couple more pictures. I need to paint the nose black. Sence it is a Navy plane I made the squardon colors green. I don't know when the Navy added squardon colors to planes but I kind of painted this one like pictures of planes in the 20s. I still have to build the V8 engine which will be attached to the wing and form the top of the front of the fuselage. When the wing is removed the V8 will come off with it and leave an opening to get to the motor.

degreen60
05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Here are some more pictures.

Saucerguy2
05-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Looks like it's coming together well.

smokejohnson
05-09-2007, 10:49 PM
I like it. I see your wheels are foam what is the ring around them?

degreen60
05-10-2007, 12:29 AM
The wheel are those GWS wheels everyone hates. I use them as an axle(I tried just a tube but kept breaking the foam) so size don't mater as long as they are smaller than the wheel your making. I cut foam disk and glue on each side of the GWS wheel. The tire is 3/16 inch foam tape weatherstrip. It is very soft. If the plane sets on it for any length of time it makes a flat spot but pushes right into shape. I hang my planes for storage.

smokejohnson
05-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Very cool build for a one of a kind.

degreen60
05-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Very cool build for a one of a kind.

The artical I have on this plane says 2 were built for the Army and a handfull for the Navy. Plans to build 5000 were dropped when the Armistice was signed. I think I will make the pilot and observer next. Sence the pilot and observer set with thier heads above the wing does this make the plane a mid-wing or is it a high wing sence it sets ontop of the fuselage?

degreen60
05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
The artical I have on this plane says 2 were built for the Army and a handfull for the Navy. Plans to build 5000 were dropped when the Armistice was signed. I think I will make the pilot and observer next. Sence the pilot and observer set with thier heads above the wing does this make the plane a mid-wing or is it a high wing sence it sets ontop of the fuselage?

I did some more research and it looks like they made about 49 for the Navy. Depending on how you read some of the articles they may have made a couple of protypes for the Navy before the 49. I did add up some of the numbers and came up with 52.

degreen60
05-17-2007, 12:17 AM
The M8 is ready for its first flight. AOW is 16oz.

degreen60
05-17-2007, 02:24 AM
Took it out for its first flight this evening. It flys ok now if only I was as good a pilot. Got too close to trees and sence this is my first plane with ailerons I used them to turn too tight and tail spun into tall hay. Only a broken motor mount. Should be back flying tomorrow if no wind.

smokejohnson
05-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Great work degreen.

degreen60
05-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Had a nice flight tonight. No problems. Even the landing was soft(hay is tall. HAHA).

Saucerguy2
05-18-2007, 11:54 PM
You gotta love the tall grass for easy landings, my favorite field has loose cut grass for that purpose.

Along ailerons, once you get used to them, you'll be reluctant to go back to rudder/elevator only control.

degreen60
05-20-2007, 02:40 AM
You gotta love the tall grass for easy landings, my favorite field has loose cut grass for that purpose.

Along ailerons, once you get used to them, you'll be reluctant to go back to rudder/elevator only control.

I have a question about stick setup. I have my rudder on right stick on my R/E planes. On my R/E/A I have the ailerons on right stick and rudder on the left stick. Should I move the rudder on the R/E planes to left stick so all my planes have rudder on left stick? I am wanting to know if it makes a differance when changing planes to fly.

BradT
05-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Keep your setups as you have them. The idea is to have your primary in-flight turning control in the same location. On r/e, that means rudder under your right thumb (assuming mode 2), and for r/e/a, aileron under that same right thumb. This way, you never have to think about which stick to use for turns in the air; it's always the same one. It does require you to remember the difference when it comes to ground handling, though, as the tail is swung by the rudder on the ground, and that changes sticks between the 2 setups. You could correct that with a computer radio, by mixing both the rudder and aileron channels together 100% on your r/e planes; then the right stick turns you in flight, and the left stick turns you on the ground, just like it would on an r/e/a setup.

Hope all that didn't confuse the issue!

Brad.

Saucerguy2
05-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Keeping things consitstand is key, right thumb turns the plane left or right, rolls plane left or right, etc. When you are in full 4 channel mode, the rudder gets turned to the left side and is in there for extra control should you need it. You'll find the latter not necessary in most cases, that's why I tend to build without rudder control at all with my own creations since I simply don't use it. "I'm not flying 3d yet", but it's nice to have there should a servo screw up or if you need to bail out of a hairy situation much less if you opt to start hot dogging it.

As a side note: What you learn on the current sticks is going to stick with you, I wish I ignored the consensus and switched the elevator controls opposite of what was traditionally taught, I have to build a new trainer to break myself of that one now, up should mean up, not taking a microfraction of time to decide to "pull" up, that amount of time to do so can mean the difference between a major distaster crash and bailing out of it entirely because you naturally think, up is up in the real world.

degreen60
05-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks. Ground control is no problem cause I fly out of my backyard and over my hayfield so I hand launch. Also I try to hold transmitter flat so back on the stick is up. Don