PDA

View Full Version : Not really a crash, but just as bad..

Mad Joe
05-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Ill have you know I love my DX6, but hate that throttle cut button. I was building my Edge 540 wiht the Park 480. Just cinched everything down and was doing a electronics check before I went to bed at 230am. I was a little bit of an idiot and had to prop on to check the cowl and motor adjustment. Plugged everything up, and reached over to put the canopy on it. somehow, even with no throttle on, hit the "throttle cut" button... motor torqued on to about 2000 rpm and the plane jumped at me, hit my hand before i could stop it. And mind you, repeated hitting of the throttle cut and/or throttle will not turn it off. (and fail-safe on the reciever keeps you from cutting signal with turning the tx off) Finally i had to un plug the battery. Only to look down and see my left index almost in pieces. Cut me from just on the right side of the back of the nail THROUGH the nail and back out. My nail in two pieces, im bleeding all over my dorm room. I have no roommate... Im predicting im going to bleed to death before I can get help. Finally go wake my buddy and call my dad so we can go to the ER. Ahh..long night. This was a week ago and I just got 4 stitches out, and my finger looks like its out of a horror movie. (Saw III) And now, I have to explain to everyone that I almost cut my finger off with a dead gum MODEL plane. I just tell the girls that it was a prop on a plane and leave it at that. :) Doc says in 6 months i should have a normal looking finger. Dang
480's are stout...

Don Sims
05-04-2007, 11:15 AM
Ouch!! Prop strikes are no good!

Bundy_90
05-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Do you have some pictures? I wanna see! :P

But yes, its nice that you did'nt cut your whole finger of.

Mad Joe
05-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Do you have some pictures? I wanna see! :P

But yes, its nice that you did'nt cut your whole finger of.

Im working on the pics, but my phone is retarded (runs windows) so connection is an issue. I will try to get a decent one and post it. :)

max2112
05-04-2007, 07:01 PM
MadJoe,
I'm glad you're OK. One day this will make a funny story. But it could have been a lot worse.

That must be one tough-lookin', blood-splattered, don'tmesswithme plane!
:rolleyes:

Bundy_90
05-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Im working on the pics, but my phone is retarded (runs windows) so connection is an issue. I will try to get a decent one and post it. :)How is it typing now.? :P

bill1991
05-13-2007, 10:21 PM
My aerobird extreme with a 540 motor dug into the back of my thumb twice that was about 2 weeks ago and it still aint healed. My bro messing with the tx.

skiman762
05-14-2007, 03:41 AM
Ouch!! Prop strikes are no good!

Nope not good at all you got to watch
those dang lectrics they have a mind of their own
not like a slimmer that you have to start on purpose :tc:

JWilliams
05-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Almost lost my eye from a prop a month back, the cut on my cheek has nearly healed.

Airhead
05-17-2007, 06:42 AM
Im working on the pics, but my phone is retarded (runs windows) so connection is an issue. I will try to get a decent one and post it. :)
Hey Mad Joe,
Sorry to hear about your accident.. Gotta keep your eye on those motors and props. Safety first buddy... Take care..:)

TeslaWinger
05-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Whoa, guys! I've been flying something or another for decades and props STILL SCARE ME- so I try to think right around them! Anything above a Speed 400 will do serious damage! Think RC is expensive? Try getting bodyparts repaired! YOWWW!

So far my worst "RC Sports Injury" was a pulled shoulder from tossing a 5 lb E glider like I was an Olympic javelin chucker! Dumb... :D

My face is oogly enough without a Duelling Scar to embellish it
- and slashing a finger is just as bad whether you are a musician or not- far worse if you are, believe me! Losing an eye is unthinkable- but ya gotta love that patch look- chicks dig it! ARRRR... Pirate chicks, anyway... :D

Hope you get full sensation back. Nerves are tricky lil connections and more complex than a foreign stick built kit with no instructions!

A wise man (I think his name was STUMPY) once said:
"Think of propellers as whirling knives!"

Be afraid- be very afraid!

Best of luck on your recoveries!
TW

Saucerguy2
05-17-2007, 11:46 PM
I work with power tools every day, I follow certain procedures never deviating from them for safety reasons, the same goes with the planes. I was given some good advice after picking up a new computer radio, take the main blades off of the heli before firing it up. Boy was that good advice, upon powering it up, I found the throttle was reversed so it would have shot through the roof or worse. When powering up a plane, even though it's all showing that it's responding perfectly to the controls, you never know if there will be an errant signal, so when handling it, I never allow my hands to be in the viscinity where the prop could strike it should it power up on it's own, I've also accidentally hit the throttle while powered up, and again, it's the procedure I follow that saved me and the plane.

When it comes down to it, trying to prevent a plane from getting damaged in those emergency situations is not worth it considering the personal injury you face. I hope you get your finger back to where it was at before the injury. I also agree with showing respect for the prop by considering them whirling knives, my own analogy would call them saw blades and believe me, I've whitnessed others that didn't hold the same respect for power tools only to have them whisked off to the emergency room.

Mad Joe
05-19-2007, 11:25 PM
How is it typing now.? :P

Still sucks...I really need a pic. (this is three weeks out) Skin is falling off, but sensation is back! Yay. wicked lookin too.

Yaldy
07-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Say it ain't so Joe!

Take care of yourself and happy recovery!

aircruiser
08-19-2007, 12:00 AM
dude pics of that car in your avy :D

hope its doing good but no pics ??? :)

CustomCougar
08-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Had a close one the other day. Installing electronics in my new T6, put the BL motor on the stick mount to test everything. When finished I went to test prop rotation before taping up the connectors.

Forgot the little keeper screw that keeps the motor mount from sliding off the stick.

Throttle up.....working good. Give er some more.....great thrust.:)

BAMM! Motor departs plane and hits the 4 ft away. ::o
Ooops. File that one away in the memory banks.

Fortunately my safety policy includes always keeping the prop pointed in a safe direction.