PDA

View Full Version : Parkzone DC Peak Detection Charger Died...

I_Love_My_ABC
10-20-2005, 10:07 AM
I have another newbie question, I have a Parkzone Super Decathlon and recently the supplied DC peak detection car charger died. It was selectable via a dial at rates at between 0.3 Amps and 1.2 Amps but I don't know what voltage it outputs, I assume it would be 8.4 volts to match the battery but I am probably wrong??

I was charging the stock Super Decathlon seven cell 8.4v 600Mah NiMh flight packs.

My question is, can I use the car charger that was supplied with my Hobbyzone Firebird Outlaw to charge the Super Decathlon flight packs. It outputs 6 volts at a fixed rate of 0.4 Amps. It was used to charge the stock Firebird Outlaw/Scout five cell 6 volt 300Mah flight packs.

I realise that it may take longer to charge with this charger but my concern is will it fully charge the Decathlon packs being only a 6 volt output?? Does it matter that one pack is five cell and the other seven cell, one pack 6 volts and the other 8.4 volts??

I only want this charger as a field charger as I normally use a Swallow Advanced NiCd/NiMh/LiPo charger at home. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D :D :D

Trackhappy
10-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Simple answer.... no. 6V output will never charge an 8.4 volt cell, all other considerations aside. Modelflight has a Swallow for AU$99 that will charge everything in creation.

I_Love_My_ABC
10-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Simple answer.... no. 6V output will never charge an 8.4 volt cell, all other considerations aside. Modelflight has a Swallow for AU$99 that will charge everything in creation.

Thanks, yeah as I said above I currently use a Swallow charger at home, which is great but I was just wondering about using the Outlaw charger out at the field... but if 6 volts is too low then that answers my question.

Matt Kirsch
10-20-2005, 02:36 PM
The outlaw charger will only charge batteries of the same voltage as your outlaw battery. Outlaws have a 5-cell (6.0 Volt) pack, while the ABC has a 7-cell (8.4V) pack.

Frankly, I would contact Horizon Hobby distributors and see if you can get that charger replaced... They're very good about warranty service.

Trackhappy
10-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks, yeah as I said above I currently use a Swallow charger at home, which is great but I was just wondering about using the Outlaw charger out at the field... but if 6 volts is too low then that answers my question.

Oops... missed that bit.:o