PDA

View Full Version : Before and After Crash photo's

Saucerguy2
05-07-2007, 01:22 AM
With the simple foamies, I tend to build them in modular format, each piece is incased in packing tape and then I mount them with hot glue afterwards. This allows the plane to fall apart in a crash rather then break apart which makes repairs super easy.

The crash photo shows just how many pieces this one ended up at with one of it's early crashes, needless to say, it was only 15 minutes with a hot glue gun and it was as good as new, as you can see, only a few of the modules gave way, the rest of it was in tact and this was a serious, nose into the ground crash.

The motor on it is overkill and with that combined with the 14" prop, is alot of raw power which means I had to change my flying style, ie. it refuses to fly slow now at all and tip stalls if I try to do it, with the original motor, it was much lighter and easier to handle.

I'd like to see some before and after photo's from other members as well.

EpoweredRc
05-07-2007, 02:23 AM
WOW that is one UGLY plane.....
I thought my dads Espad was ugly

Saucerguy2
05-07-2007, 03:26 AM
I made the mistake of painting the outside of it after it was covered in packing tape. This sucker can take a real beating and I'm using it to improve my flying skills since the motor is overkill. It is really alot of fun to fly, which is what I was going for regardless, some of my best performers don't look that good, partially due to the number of crashes and partially because I went utilitarian with it and wanted to bust out the entire plane from raw materials to rtf in a day.

Photos shows it during the build process, should show a little better as to how it looks underneath the packing tape and current paint job, as you can see, with the original power system and how it was looking initially, not that bad looking of a plane.

EpoweredRc
05-07-2007, 03:48 AM
didnt mean nothing by it, we have had some ugly ones,
what is that thing anyways, or is it home made?

Over powered planes are always fun to fly
and when there ugly you dont have to worry about messing them up the pretty ones your always .... please dont mess it up, opps dont do that....

Saucerguy2
05-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Well, I used the free foam flyer plans I'm sure everybody already knows about http://www.qnet.com/~skif/plane.html (http://www.qnet.com/%7Eskif/plane.html). it's actually pretty similar to it except I used thicker foam, turned it from a pusher to a tractor, used coroplast for the tail feathers and ailerons and went with a symmetrical balsa reinforced wing, so not exactly the same as the original.

I'd rather get used to the extra power on this one since as you said, not worrying about screwing up the looks of it and in fact, have learned a little in the process to make this type even stronger I'll be incorporating on future builds.

Attached photo is something more similar to the original design, the second one is really close and is the first of this line I created, the first photo is where I started taking a little more creative liberty with the coroplast, it's a tank as well since I used coroplast in the fuse for strength and weight.

constantCrash
05-20-2007, 09:37 PM
How did you make the airfoils out of foam? or is there a forum i should be reading somewhere.

Saucerguy2
05-21-2007, 12:44 AM
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3511182/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm is where I took the info from to make my own foam cutter and learned how the process works, I did link to another forum from there with my own build log, but that other place turned into a bunch of turdbags so I don't post there any more "not rcu", so ignore my links to it, I just left them in tact to show I do have class and did contribute to that other place significantly. There is plenty there within the rcu thread for you to grab the data from to make your own cutter and planes and the people at RCU are very helpful with it should you need additional advice or have any questions.

I'll do another build log on them here if anybody requests it, I have the complete set of build photo's from the raw stock to completion on my hard drive.

Bill G
06-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Man Saucerguy, that's better than my Guillows FW190, with a Firebird Commander wing that was made for an Arado234.:eek:

Saucerguy2
06-01-2007, 06:28 PM
I always love the Guillow's kits, that's a nice looking plane you have there. No comparison to my foamies, I tend to alternate between stick build and foam, or combine the two, but stick builds always look nicer then foam, at least the way I build them. I see alot of people only work in one or the other, and some get realy hard core on the finishing to the point, you can't tell the difference. I'm Getting close to completion with my Guillow's Sae 5 biplane e-conversion, I have a build log in the old timers section here in case you want to see what I'm doing in stick land as well.

Bub Steve
06-01-2007, 08:35 PM
fun'dag'nab'it Almost got back, Ouch!!! I've been try'in to fly this thing for ten years and it's about a 60/40 chance of come'in home in a bag!dang old dang'go your bub, stevecooper