PDA

View Full Version : Easystar Seaplane

LAbelle44
05-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Anyone seen or heard of somebody making a Easystar Seaplane? I am new to flying but looking at my Easystar hanging on the wall I thought"Gee, change to a "T" tail, maybe add some sponsons on the sides of the fuse(like a C130 kinda) and maybe some floats halfway out on the wing. Looking to land on water as I can always hand launch. Then again some airlerons and a brushless upgrade might get it to take off assuming I could figure out how and where to build a step.Any reality in this idea?

bugjam1999
05-15-2007, 03:13 PM
i put GWS floats on mine... needed a bit more power really, it'd only take off about three times on a full nicad pack...

see the photo here : http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11798

seaplane idea sounds like a laugh, but you'd have to remount the servos to keep them safe and make sure the hull was waterproof somehow...

good luck!

Bill G
05-16-2007, 07:52 AM
i put GWS floats on mine... needed a bit more power really, it'd only take off about three times on a full nicad pack...

see the photo here : http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11798

seaplane idea sounds like a laugh, but you'd have to remount the servos to keep them safe and make sure the hull was waterproof somehow...

good luck!
Looks better with the floats than without them.

bugjam1999
05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
idlely thinking about this the other day, i think the easiest way to convert an easystar to be a seaplane would be to buy a set of GWS floats and mount one to the bottom of the fuselage. Then add a pontoon on each wing and you're away... the addition of the float under the fuselage would mean that the electrics would be less likely to get wet and the tail would be out of the water, which wouldn't happen if you tried to have the fuselage bottom in the water.

if you think about the mountings enough before you add them to the plane, you should be able to make them totally removable...

goodluck!

LAbelle44
06-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I been thinking about it myself, The float idea aint half bad! Kinda on hold for the moment as on my maiden solo flight off the cord ,I picked a windy day blowing straight into the pits, tried to impress my friend with a greased in landing. Got caught WAY to close to the pits and zoomed up to clear our structures. Should have turned left too! Instead a gust caught me,lost site of the plane over my head and found a power pole with the right wing.Good practice on field repairs and now I own the clubs first pole award! Right now my feeble brain is leaning towards trying to carve a boat shape and servo covers from the pink foam I bought and meld them to the bottom of the fuse, take the stock tail off and build a "T" tail,then add some "floats" for the wings at the ends of the carbon stiffening rods. My flight instructor say's T tails are tough to fly, but I think I still want to try!My conceptual problem now is lack of knowledge of step placement. And of course lack of modeling skills. I am hoping at worst once I dig into it I can build a model that hand launches and can land in my back yard.(I live on a boat so my back yard is water!) :ws:

bugjam1999
06-01-2007, 08:06 PM
I been thinking about it myself, The float idea aint half bad! Kinda on hold for the moment as on my maiden solo flight off the cord ,I picked a windy day blowing straight into the pits, tried to impress my friend with a greased in landing. Got caught WAY to close to the pits and zoomed up to clear our structures. Should have turned left too! Instead a gust caught me,lost site of the plane over my head and found a power pole with the right wing.Good practice on field repairs and now I own the clubs first pole award! Right now my feeble brain is leaning towards trying to carve a boat shape and servo covers from the pink foam I bought and meld them to the bottom of the fuse, take the stock tail off and build a "T" tail,then add some "floats" for the wings at the ends of the carbon stiffening rods. My flight instructor say's T tails are tough to fly, but I think I still want to try!My conceptual problem now is lack of knowledge of step placement. And of course lack of modeling skills. I am hoping at worst once I dig into it I can build a model that hand launches and can land in my back yard.(I live on a boat so my back yard is water!) :ws:

not wanting to sound too negative here.... but if you're having that kind of trouble flying an easystar, then you need to up the amount of time you have as experience before you start tinkering with a working airframe to that extent. Building a T-tail that works as well as the standard one isn't going to be impossible, but if you're low on experience, you might not be able to save it if the plane does something unexpected on the maiden.

the easystar as standard is a brilliant plane, i suggest that you don't change anything thats there, just add to it. If you want to try the seaplane idea, then buy a set of GWS floats for $10 (thats all they cost) and mount one to the bottom. the best way would be to mount it in a removable way... someone here will come up with an idea for that and the wingtip floats i'm sure. trying to melt it on will just end up being an expensive mistake when you have to replace the fuselage as well :(

the easiest way to get flying your easystar off water has got to be the addition of a full set of gws floats like i did. it flew pretty much exactly the same as stock, the only downside was that the plane took a while to get off the water on takeoff, meaning that the batteries didn't have much more than 3 take offs in them (i was using 8cell nicads). the way i mounted the floats means they're totally removable, so i can fly or not fly off water depending on my mood :) i'll post some more pics of the mounting if you want me to...

if you're completely sold on the seaplane idea, maybe buying a plane that was meant to be one from the outset would be a good idea, i've got a hacker osprey that has been sitting about for ages because i bought it from the same guy as i bought my easystar from as he'd had a buyer pull out. Looks brilliant, can't wait to fly it! advantages of buying a bespoke seaplane are obvious...

do let everyone know how you get on...

s.

lupy
07-30-2007, 01:56 AM
I did an easystar seaplane conversion (hull, not floats) As bugjam said, it's not really an ideal subject. made my hull 1.25" tall and 4" wide, also added depron rear steps to help it break the tail free, also little steps to the horiz stab to help keep it up. I did get it to ROW on a 3s2000mah lipoly and the stock motor, but it was always a near thing. Once in the air, it flew fine, but there are much better subjects. With a T tail, and a brushless motor, I'm sure it would work better, but it's a lot of work given all the other planes out there.

I did a conversion on a twinstar, with brushless motors. It flies great, ROW's easy. Much more satisfying that the easystar.

benovisoff
08-21-2008, 12:50 AM
For Bugjam 1999, why not put the floats on the wings because the bottom is perfect for water. For me it looks kind of awkward with the gws floats on the fusealage. I was thinking about just cutting two pieces of styrafoam, and putting them under the wing. Also putting a small peice of foam under the empanage, so I don't have to convert it into a T tail. I want to leave it as stock as possible.

RocketMan
08-21-2008, 02:38 AM
I made some wing tip floats out of pieces of 'pool noodle' and that worked perfectly for landing on the water with a hand launch. But it's not good enough for a take off as the nose tends to be pushed down and then you just start plowing through the water. But maybe another piece of 'pool noodle' under the fuselage at the nose would do the trick...

I wonder if my brother-in-law has ever noticed that two of his 'pool noodles' are a bit shorter than the others :D

RM

benovisoff
08-22-2008, 04:58 AM
I think I'll try that, but the noodles aren't wide enough with the hole in the middle so im going to have to close the hle somehow so water doesn't get into it.

benovisoff
08-23-2008, 05:57 AM
Rocketman, I did what you said with the pool noodles. I hope it works well.

RocketMan
08-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Rocketman, I did what you said with the pool noodles. I hope it works well.
Did you just make wing tip floats or build up under the fuselage as well? Takeoffs will be a challenge but landing is no problem if you hand launch. That was my experience at least so I hope it works for you!

I have some GWS floats that I'm eventually going to try on the EasyStar...

Cheers,

Rick

benovisoff
08-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Only the wingtips. I want to try it without the nose float. I would've used the gws floats I ordered, but they have been on backorder forever. I was thinking of putting the F27C stryker motor into the easystar, but not a six series because I only have a 36 amp esc. Those ammo inrunner motors seem good too, but I heaard from multiple people that they are too small and weak. I would like to post pictures of my easystar, but I dont know how.

benovisoff
08-25-2008, 06:06 AM
I was going to buy the stryker motor for the easystar since I have seen it work well and it is pretty inexpensive. Then, I came across a guy that was selling a six series inrunner from a funjet, the preferred brushless upgrade, and cheap mto. The motor is fairly new and it is an $80 motor for 50 bucks. Then he said he would give me the whole funjet with servos, esc, and motor installed for 80 dollars. It still needs a reciever and battery, but it was a steal so I did it anyway. Now I have a funjet and a stock easystar. I completely ruined my mission of just geting the stryker motor that pulls less amps and will work with a 36amp esc. Now I still have to get the stryker motor.

benovisoff
09-17-2008, 05:47 AM
I just said screw it and put the 54 amp esc and six series motor I bought from a guy's funjet and put it in the easystar. It works very well, but drains a 2100 mah 3s battery in no time. It goes fast, but not as fast or as high as quick without stalling as rumors lead people to believe. Mine pulls 51 amps with a 6X5.5 prop, and cuts up the fusealage because the prop is a little big. I am still glad I did It. :)