PDA

View Full Version : First day out crash free!

Jeremy Z
10-21-2005, 01:31 PM
So yesterday, I went out and few the T-Hawk again. When I started, there was a bit too much wind, just a bit, and I handled it magnificently. It is amazing how little wind it takes to challenge these trainers...

Anyhow, all hand launches were perfect (about 5 of them) and all landings were acceptable. (a couple were even perfect)

The only problem was that at times, I totally lost the motor and had to glide in. I don't know if it is interference on the 27 MHz band, or if it is just plain crappy electronics that came with this bird.

So I'm thinking that the next step is to upgrade to a computer radio and electronics to go with.

Thanks for all the help getting started here.

Jeremy

Unbalanced prop
10-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Jeremy.........I don't think interference is your problem. Sounds more like a problem with your setup. Since you still have control to land, it could be the ESC hitting LVC or shutting down because of heat. Does it work as soon as you plug in a freshly charged battery? Does it quit at full throttle only?

Doug

Jeremy Z
10-21-2005, 02:54 PM
... Since you still have control to land, it could be the ESC hitting LVC or shutting down because of heat. Does it work as soon as you plug in a freshly charged battery? Does it quit at full throttle only?Doug

I thought about the ESC also, since I had full control of rudder & elevator. However, as soon as I was on the ground, I had full throttle control. Also, the problem seemed to appear more towards one side of the field than the other. So I'm going to fly it in another place this Sunday, conditions permitting. If it has the same problem, I'm going to proceed with my plan to replace the electronics. I think I can reuse the servos...

So apparently, this is the main disadvantage of the T-Hawk: cheezy electronics. C'est la vie, right?

I will continue to recommend the T-Hawk, but with the caveat of getting it without the radio, receiver, & speed control. The problem is that it brings the price up into the EasyStar range.

Jeremy

AEAJR
10-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Check your battery connectors. If you lose momentary connection, when it reconnects, the servos will work, but the speed control will sense that the throttle is not at zero and will not re-arm the motor. If it happens again, move the throttle to zero for 1 second then see if you can restart the motor while you are still in the air.

I have seen this on t-hawks and Aerobirds and other RTF parkflyers that use the mini-tamaya plug. I find them unreliable. I have switched all of mine over to Deans ultra plugs. Also, if you have crashed you could have a loose wire. Check all solder joints.

Other things to check:

How have your range checks been? Any problems? Good range?

Antenna tight in the radio? Check the antenna connection in the plane. Make sure the anteanna wire has not bunched up inside the plane. That will greatly reduce you range.

The makers of the T-hawk do an EXCELLENT job of supporting their product. Have you called them? If not, why not?

frvrngn
10-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Check your battery connectors. If you lose momentary connection, when it reconnects, the servos will work, but the speed control will sense that the throttle is not at zero and will not re-arm the motor. If it happens again, move the throttle to zero for 1 second then see if you can restart the motor while you are still in the air.

I have seen this on t-hawks and Aerobirds and other RTF parkflyers that use the mini-tamaya plug. I find them unreliable. I have switched all of mine over to Deans ultra plugs. Also, if you have crashed you could have a loose wire. Check all solder joints.

This happened to me on my Stryker! I couldnt figure it out for the life of me. It would re-arm the motor if I throttled down, so I knew it was an electrical glitch. I finally started pulling everything out with plans to rebuild from scratch. Thats when I found the loose wire in the plug. I just used some silicone gel to re-secure it for now. I still dont know if I am going to use Deans Ultra's on my planes or Anderson Power Poles. I like the idea of the Andersons with no soldering needed. I already have very nice crimpers that should work. I think I am a "decent" solderer, but if I dont have to do it - why bother with it??

Unbalanced prop
10-21-2005, 05:33 PM
I still dont know if I am going to use Deans Ultra's on my planes or Anderson Power Poles. I like the idea of the Andersons with no soldering needed. I already have very nice crimpers that should work. I think I am a "decent" solderer, but if I dont have to do it - why bother with it??

Power poles are great connectors. Easy to use and will handle high amperage easily. I use them on my larger models but use Deans ultras on my smaller planes. The power poles are just too big in small (20 ozs and less) planes. IMHO!

Doug

frvrngn
10-21-2005, 05:41 PM
I thought I read you can cut them down to almost half their size. I know they are pretty large as they come. I would need to cut them for at least one of my planes. If not, I guess Deans it is.

Jeremy Z
10-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm going to try the stuff Ed said. My range checks have been fine; things work perfectly on the ground...

I think I will probably solder all connections except the battery connections. I am an outstanding solderer, having spent 7 years as an electronics tec. Since there's no way I'm going to transplant these crapola electronics to another plane, I figure it is a fair thing to do.

I will look into the alternate connectors, though I admit that I'm skeptical the connectors are at fault. More likely would be sloppy crimping or something.

The only problem is going to be getting inside the fuselage. There's only the tiny access hole in the top.

Before I do any of that, I'm going to contact ToyTronix. This is probably a known issue for them, one that they will know right off the bat.

Jeremy