PDA

View Full Version : Next Step

jmullane
08-03-2005, 12:26 PM
I've been flying my Aerobird Challenger for about a month now and I've learned to keep it in the air and land correctly. I would like to take the next step and get a good electric trainer. I would like to purchase an ARF and buy all of the other gear separately. I'm pretty sure I know what radio I want, but I'm really getting stuck with the plane. Should I purchase a "typical" gas trainer and convert it? Are there good electric trainer ARF's available? Thank you in advance.

Jim

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-03-2005, 01:42 PM
It really depends on what size you are looking for. If wanting to stay in the park flyer class, there are literally tons of planes to choose from. The aerobird is actually quite quick, so you can probably move up to a full 4channel plane and be okay. It's perfectly up to you.

I personally would recommend the GWS planes. They are very cheap, easy to repair, and fly great.

One of the best trainers on the market is the GWS E-Starter. It is a four channel model, that when properly equipped, flys great. You can pick up the model with everything you need except radio, battery, and esc for about 45.00. You can get just the plane for about 25.00. This model is an arf and made of foam which can be put together in an evening or two. Here is a link to one I built. It has some heavy modifications on it, but it will give you an idea.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61

========================

If you feel you are not quite ready to move to a four channel plane, you can go with the GWS Beaver or the GWS Cub as well. These are 3channel birds and they both fly great. They fly somewhat slower than the E-Starter as well. You can see the GWS Cub at Towerhobbies.com and here is a thread about the Beaver that I bought for my girlfriend to teach her how to fly. Both of these planes are in the same price range as the E-Starter.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65

==================

There are many other planes out there as well - Let me know if these are not what you are looking for, and I will try to recommend something else. Which radio were you looking at?

jmullane
08-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. Your project looks great!

I was thinking of heading towards a 4 channel plane that is a little beyond a park flyer. I'm starting to fly with a club and my local park is getting very small even for my Challenger. I would like to find something a little bigger and more like a gas .40 size trainer.

The radio I'm currently looking at is a JR 6102. I know it is a lot more than I need at the moment, however I'm a firm believer in getting a little more now so I'm not sorry later. Thank you for your help.

Jim

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-03-2005, 05:01 PM
J - That is a great radio, I have an older version that has been great to me. One lesson that I learned, was always buy the best radio you can afford. It will be worth it in the long run.

Based on what you said, there are plenty of larger planes to choose from. Help me out though - What is your budget and what is your mindset of purchase additional equipment. The reason I ask, is that there are many planes I can recommend that will be in the .40 size range, but most of them will require brushless motors and larger lipos - and this will increase the cost. There are some models that are a bit bigger than the GWS kits, say in the .10-.15 size range. Would these be okay? OIr would you rather spend a little extra now to go larger?

jmullane
08-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks again for your quick reply!

What I'm trying to accomplish is what I would be doing if I went the "typical" route and purchased a .40 trainer, however I would like to stay electric. So I guess to answer your question, the budget is not a huge issue and I'd like to go a little larger. Thanks.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-03-2005, 05:57 PM
That being said then, here are some good choices and information.

Graupner Taxi Cup II - This is basically a 40-60size electric trainer with a 60 inch wingspan. Here is a price breakdown for the plane, motor, esc, and batt.

Plane = 200.00
Motor = 100.00 Axi 2826/12
ESC = 55.00 E-Flite 45Amp
Batt = 130.00 3S2P 4200 lipo
TOTAL - 485.00

Here is a link to this plane flying:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/media/GR6279-TaxiCup.wmv

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/images/gr6279s.jpg

===================================

Mizar EPP Arf - This plane is a little smaller, closer to a 20 size plane with a 56 inch wingspan, but it is EPP, which is virtually indestructable. Here is the cost breakdown:

Plane = 130.00
Motor = 95.00 PJS 3D 800E
ESC = 55.00 E-Flite 40Amp
Batts = 80.00 3S1P 2000mah lipo
TOTAL = 360.00

This plane Does not have Airlerons, but they would be very easy to add at any point in time. Here is a photo and video:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/media/HRN102-Mizar.wmv

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/images/hrn102s.jpg

=================================

Pelican Bonnie 20 Arf - This is another plane similary in size to the one above, but is built of wood like the first. Also has no dihedral and airlerons, so fairly aerobatic. Wingspan is about 55inches, prices below:

Plane = 160.00
Motor = 90.00 Axi 2820/10
ESC = 55.00 Eflite 40Amp
Batts = 90.00 3S1P 2400mah lipo
TOTAL = 395.00

Below is a video, and a photo:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/media/PEL2900-Bonnie.wmv

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/images/flyingpics/m27pic32.jpg

================

Are these the types of planes you are looking for?

Solcat
08-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Multiplex has a lot of great electric planes. The space scooter uses ailerons. The Magister has ailerons, a rudder and a steerable nosewheel. The easy glider uses ailerons and a rudder. The soon to be released Twin
Star II is another good aileron trainer. All of these planes are made out of a mix of EPP and Stryrofoam so they are tough and easy to build.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-03-2005, 06:41 PM
I was going to mention the Magistar - I have read great reviews on that plane around the web, and at RCU. The only thing was that I wasn't sure if it was offered as an ARF, or only as a RTF. Either way - Its a great buy, and plenty big enough.

Solcat
08-03-2005, 07:52 PM
The Magister is available RTF for about $300 and ARF for about $110.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Fantastic - then if it's available as an arf - that would be another I would certainly recommend!

Vinny
08-04-2005, 01:54 AM
Hi..

I am new to this hobby...trying to learn as much about electic planes as possible.

I see that battery packs are generally mentioned in the following formats i picked up these from posts on this forum only. How are these interpreted.

3S2P 4200 lipo
3S1P 2000mah lipo
3S1P 2400mah lipo

What is 3S1P ? and how is this different from 3S2P ? all I know is that Lipos are available only in mostly 2 or 3 cell packs and they can be grouped in either series or in parallel depending upon the application if demand is for high voltage or higher current.

-Thanks in advance.

Geoff_Gino
08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi Vinny

I see you are like me getting into this electric "thing" - Well you are at the right place.

Guys like Reformed Nitro and Matt are doing a brilliant job in helping us newbies. Here is what Matt answered on my question about LiPo's:

"Use this phrase to remember the "3S2P" notation: Sells(cells) in Series, Packs in Parallel. When you see 3S2P, for example, that means "three cells in series per pack, two packs in parallel." You MULTIPLY the numbers together to get the total number of cells. A 3S2P pack would have SIX cells in it, not five."

Remeber that batteries in series give more voltage - and batteries in parallel give more amps.

Matt and Nitro.
If you should see this I'll be off the "air" for a few days so don't think I'm not ignoring anyone, how can anyone ignore good advice, and I'll be back next week.

Geoff

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Vinny, Geoff says it all.

In reading a lipo pack, the first number is the cell count in series, the second number is the cell count in parallel. So a 3S1P pack is a 3cell lipo pack wired in series. Each lipo cell has a nominal voltage of 3.7V, so a 2S pack is 7.2volts a 3S pack is 11.1V, 4S is 14.8V and so on. When wired in series, a pack keeps the same voltage but the capacity is increased. So if you have two 3S 1300mah packs, and you wire them in parallel, then you get a 3S2P pack which is now rated at 2600mah. Most parkflyers and smaller electric planes don't use parallel packs, as the primary reason for going parallel is to increase the amount of amps a pack can produce.

Keep in mind, that a 3S2P pack is not a total of 4 or 5 cells, but two packs of 3cells wired together, for a total of 6. To get total number of cells, mulitply the first number by the second number.

Vinny
08-06-2005, 05:36 AM
Reformed Nitro –

I see your posts about

Graupner Taxi Cup II ,
Mizar EPP Arf,
Pelican Bonnie 20 Arf

Thanks for sharing this information it really helps new guys like me to set direction. Do you happen to have flight time on these planes with corresponding recommended battery packs ? I know battery usages/timing would depend a lot upon the wind speed and how the throttle is used but a rough ballpark figure could help.

jmullane
08-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Thank you everyone for your help! Great suggestions on a few planes.

Can anyone point me to a FAQ or good tutorial on electric flying. I'm looking for something that explains motors, batteries, etc. Thanks.

Jim

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Vinny - No problem! I have personally flown the Taxi and the thing is just amazing on that setup. Very powerful with similar thrust to a 60size plane. Nice aerobatics too!

The others, well Hobby-Lobby seems to recommend excellent setups, and you can see the vids on how they perform so I see no reason to worry.

DryFlyer
08-09-2005, 06:30 AM
Currently finishing Magister. Plan to use for instruction. Started with ARF version. LiPo's & light weight components used to extend flight time, reduce wing loading. Will report back after flight (crash) test...Looks like a nice kit, have read lots of good stuff about it. Hopefully true...

Geoff_Gino
08-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Hi Vinny
Typically I am getting 8 minutes of flight at about 75% throttle on my 20 ounce park flyer with recharge of about 40 minutes.
Geoff

atjurhs
09-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Jim,

Check out Mountain Models. Alot of folks really like there stuff, and so do I, and they are super people to deal with.