PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good heli?

javelinstorm
05-16-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm new to this hobby and ive been looking at the raptor g2 se http://www.nitroplanes.com/20rag2sesed6.html
can anybody tell me if this is a good helicopter for a beginner?
and im also looking at this simulator http://www.nitroplanes.com/e4chflsitrki.html didnt feel like making two threads

EDIT: WHAT ABOUT THIS ONE ITS A TREX http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_helicopters_align_t-rex_450sa.htm

Saucerguy2
05-16-2007, 11:17 PM
If you start out on that heli, you will likely be buying enough replacement parts for it to build several from scratch by the time you are a capable pilot. Co-axle heli's are the best choice for beginners. That sim, I've never seen before, but at 20.00 with everything included, it's hard to beat that price.

javelinstorm
05-16-2007, 11:46 PM
why whould i need so many parts?
are you assuming i will crash it or will it blow up or are the included parts just not good?

brnyrbbl
05-16-2007, 11:51 PM
read this thread before you make your decision. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10561

javelinstorm
05-17-2007, 12:03 AM
yeah but the pple there ordered from raidentech and what im looking at has brushless and lipo

its just so cheap

brnyrbbl
05-17-2007, 12:07 AM
There are a lot of good deals out there. I would suggest reading users comments and suggestions/complaints before making any decisions. If you are looking for inexpensive, check this one http://www.xheli.com/7pr400reccbr.html . I don't know much about this one myself, but again, do your research. It's better to wait a bit then rush into it and be kicking yourself in the butt! Good Luck and welcome to this fun Hobby!

Saucerguy2
05-17-2007, 12:33 AM
why whould i need so many parts?
are you assuming i will crash it or will it blow up or are the included parts just not good?

The parts are excellent by default, they are expensive as well. My first heli was a blade cp, each flying session costed between 10-20.00 in parts I'd break, by the time I was able to get some assemblence of control, I'd purchased enough replacement parts to buy 2-3 complete heli's, and even then, I still needed to get new servo's and a 4 in one in spite of the fact I was buying carbon fiber stock to ease up on the stock replacement parts costs.

If you buy that heli as your first one, expect a similar situation, you may get so frustrated with it, you never want to get into heli's again.

javelinstorm
05-17-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm going to practice on the simulator where it doesn't matter if i break a gazillion parts i still dont have to buy anything

WWI Ace
05-17-2007, 01:37 AM
I hate to tell you this javelinstorm but your gonna break something on your heli no matter what!!! It's just part of the learning curve. Sim or not. Steve.

skiman762
05-17-2007, 02:37 AM
yep
usually right about the time you think you can fly
I've see guys the can grind the button head and
they still need parts from time to time

Brutal E
05-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Stay away from the Raptor G2 it is crap. You have been warned. I have heard many stories of brand new Raptor G2s that would not fly at all until most of the electronics were replaced. Motors fried on the first spin up. Gyro not working. Speed control dead on arrival. The list goes on and on. I would not touch one with a ten foot pole.

WWI Ace
05-26-2007, 07:02 PM
You would think the people that sell junk would see us talking about it and address the problems!!!

Saucerguy2
05-27-2007, 01:23 AM
I totally agree, you'd think they'd heed our advice, some do, some don't, and the latter are just in it for the short haul, make a quick buck and move on.

Unlike other markets, forums like these will make or break any product line simply by the response from actual user input. They tend to dominate the search engine listings rank wise and give a much more unbiased report of it all.

Sentertainment
06-09-2007, 11:47 PM
I would go HDX450 (HeliDirect), yet again...I'm fairly new to this hobby, but I've heard wonderful things about the HDX.

The HDX is based on the T-Rex 450 SE....which is a very good heli!

xuzme720
06-26-2007, 04:20 AM
I've heard the same thing Sentertainment.

also suspect are the photos of the raptor. they look like it was thrown up and then shot, or simply held by the tail. the rotor geometry and lack of blade movement screams setup! but to be fair, that doesn't necessarily mean it won't fly, they might have just been trying to get closer than you'd normally want to get to a flying heli....

cuc tu
07-28-2007, 03:17 AM
...and good photo quality...

WWI Ace
07-28-2007, 03:50 PM
A friend of mine got a Raptor G2 as a gift. Spun it up twice and it quit working. I think either the motor or the ESC died. Will have to check it out for him. I personally would not but this heli. It seems to have alot of issues. Steve.

Sentertainment
07-29-2007, 04:08 AM
...and good photo quality...

Just wait 'til I start taking outdoors pictures w/ my heli!;-)

I just got a NIB Nikon S6 for $49 at my work!
It's amazing, retail price was $250-300!

Yeah, if anyone needs some tips on buying decent cameras, just ask!

vortex05
07-29-2007, 05:18 AM
I'm going to practice on the simulator where it doesn't matter if i break a gazillion parts i still dont have to buy anything

simulators will never be as close to the real thing as you like. For one thing you don't have to stand up, there's no sense of presence.

Good sims do well at showing you what it's like when weather conditions are not perfect and ground effect.

But there's always one thing that Simulators fail to simulate.......

FEAR

The first time you hear the motor get up to it's flight speed you will be afraid and excited all at once. No sim will ever prepare you for your inner anxiety.

WWI Ace
07-29-2007, 06:05 AM
I agree vortex! I NEVER feel the same on the sim as I do at the flying field!! Steve.

brnyrbbl
07-29-2007, 06:10 AM
I have answered the question of sims many times. I think they do serve a purpose but can not be compared to the real thing. I believe they help with orientation and a basic understanding of flight controls. However, as Vortex stated, the fear of actually crashing coupled with the noise and other elements makes the real thing more challenging. If you can get over the fear of crashing you will fly better in real life. Take sims for what they're worth and that is orientation, basic control knowledge, and a way to test maneuvers before attempting them in the field.

RAPPY51
07-31-2007, 01:16 AM
I picked one up earlier this year, I changed all the servos and haven't had any serious problems. The tail gears gave out after 3 months and I haven't replaced them yet. I have another hobby that takes precedence called amateur radio.

vortex05
07-31-2007, 06:14 AM
Yes I should mention to people that i also swapped my S75's for some generic 9g servos..... Yes 9g they are capable of much more torque and are designed for bigger heli's the result is much more holding power.

The default Eflite servos struggled to lift the weight of the heli when held by the flybar. These ones are so powerful they have enough static hold that they can easily lift the body of the heli without a problem, plus they have enough static hold to resist swash movement when the unit is powered off. Makes flights much more predictable IMO.

(Although recently I bent my antenna and I get periodic glitches while not fully extended)

xuzme720
07-31-2007, 06:20 AM
(Although recently I bent my antenna and I get periodic glitches while not fully extended)

My wife tried to tell me that once.:<:Q

vortex05
07-31-2007, 06:29 AM
Lol....... Sigh.....

Rokclimber5672
04-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Well, I figure as a noob, to let you know what this heli is like, I'm 20. I have never flown anything in my life. The last rc anything that I had was a nitro car back in like '97 when they still cost $700. I got my Raptor G2 from xheli last friday. I did get it out of the box and wondered why it wouldn't spin up, then i charged the battery. DUH. After that I went out side and lifted off and landed about 6 times. It was balanced and all the trims were pretty close, not perfect. Other than that, I guess all that can be said is you get what you pay for. Its all plastic except for the boom, but plastic is lighter than metal. Now you know I'm a noob, I'm also an engineering undergrad so to me High density polyethylene makes a heck of alot more sense than aluminum, and that the heli is under $200 with 3D capabilities. If it goes to toast tomorrow, I'll let ya know and I'll let ya know why, not just tell ya it's crap cause I read something on the net.

vortex05
04-14-2008, 02:40 AM
True plastic is lighter than metal, metal is preferred due to rigidity. It's great that plastic can withstand minor impacts but when the head is at speed all the parts are under stress and parts that would otherwise slide freely begin to bind due to shape deformation.

For the heli frame itself I see no point in using metal other than the "bling" factor some people refer to. However I do see a point in an all metal head with plastic points of failure like mixer arms. Although way too often I see heads that are completely all metal without a consideration for a engineered failure point in the event of a crash.

So yeah plastic for cost elasticity and somewhat light, carbon fiber for rigidity and lightness (but impossible to cut into useful shapes), and aircraft aluminum for structural rigidity at the expense of weight.

As a fellow engineer I remind you not to discount the other options but as with everything in engineering it's a balance between performance, durability, and cost. Usually you only get to pick 2 out of 3 to optimize for.