PDA

View Full Version : THis a good beginner plane?

SPitFireV12RR
10-22-2005, 06:24 AM
I got this plane for my birthday: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4179936&cat=132917&type=5&dept=4171&path=0%3A4171%3A4199%3A133160%3A132917

I know it looks sort of big, but its not really. If you read it's review, it uses not rudders or ailierons, but "trust vectoring" . I haven't flown it yet but i've ran it and it puts out a considerable ammount of trust for it's weight. I am a beginner to large planes, but i have had a SKy Rangers which is a wanna be plane, but it was sorta a trainer. The only problem i see with my current plane is to go up you trottle up and to go down you let off the gas. I like it, and i can't really afford much more. Does anyone have any tips, and yes i am going to go to a show/event to watch some other R/C Planes.

ANy help would be appreciated!!:D

Thanks,
SpitFIre

Tommyr
10-22-2005, 01:44 PM
I got this plane for my birthday: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4179936&cat=132917&type=5&dept=4171&path=0%3A4171%3A4199%3A133160%3A132917

I know it looks sort of big, but its not really. If you read it's review, it uses not rudders or ailierons, but "trust vectoring" . I haven't flown it yet but i've ran it and it puts out a considerable ammount of trust for it's weight. I am a beginner to large planes, but i have had a SKy Rangers which is a wanna be plane, but it was sorta a trainer. The only problem i see with my current plane is to go up you trottle up and to go down you let off the gas. I like it, and i can't really afford much more. Does anyone have any tips, and yes i am going to go to a show/event to watch some other R/C Planes.

ANy help would be appreciated!!:D

Thanks,
SpitFIre

So it's a 2 channel plane, I assume the transmitter has 2 sticks. Left stick starts/stops the props, right controls prop speeds. You'll probably have to trim the rudder and/or flaps on the tail a bit at first. The idea is when you launch you want the plane to fly straight and climb slowly.

Try it in a big field first and go easy on the left/right stick at first to see how it turns. You should figure it out fairly quick but don't try to fly it over pavement or blacktop, a grassy field or wheat field provides cushion for crashes and YOU WILL CRASH IT. That's normal at first.

Let us know how you're doing! Most importantly....HAVE FUN!

Tom

SPitFireV12RR
10-22-2005, 02:11 PM
So it's a 2 channel plane, I assume the transmitter has 2 sticks. Left stick starts/stops the props, right controls prop speeds.

No, it's a 2 channel plane, but the left stick starts/stops the props and controls the speed and the the right stick controls right/left direction.

You'll probably have to trim the rudder and/or flaps on the tail a bit first.

It doesn't have flaps, rudders or elevators. To assend, you apply full throttle, and to desend, you apply no trottle...lol To turn, if you were to turn left, say, the left engines would cut off and then the right engines would speed up to sort of pull the plane over whereever you're going thats left.

Thanks for the advice though. I will keep you guys posted on the first flight!

I was also looking at my istruction manual, and it says that i shouldn't "overcontrol" the plane. It says i should "pulse" the left/right control, let the wings bank, and use banked turns. IS that true?

Thanks,
SPitFire

Tommyr
10-22-2005, 02:30 PM
No, it's a 2 channel plane, but the left stick starts/stops the props and controls the speed and the the right stick controls right/left direction.

It doesn't have flaps, rudders or elevators. To assend, you apply full throttle, and to desend, you apply no trottle...lol To turn, if you were to turn left, say, the left engines would cut off and then the right engines would speed up to sort of pull the plane over whereever you're going thats left.

Thanks for the advice though. I will keep you guys posted on the first flight!

I was also looking at my istruction manual, and it says that i shouldn't "overcontrol" the plane. It says i should "pulse" the left/right control, let the wings bank, and use banked turns. IS that true?

Thanks,
SPitFire

Yes it's true, don't hold the turn stick all the way for long in either direction until you get the hang of it.

Re-read my quote on left and right sticks, you basically said what I said only different LOL. The way these turn is the appropriate prop is slowed down to make the plane turn.

The flaps and rudder I assume have small indents on the edges that allow for small manual movement in case the plane needs slight trimming to fly correctly. Hopefully the manual talks about that.

Tom

SPitFireV12RR
10-22-2005, 02:38 PM
lol, ohhhh!!!! Sorry, i caught you wrong. Yes they probaly will need trimming.

I'm sorry i didn't catch what you said!
SPitFIre

Tommyr
10-22-2005, 02:55 PM
lol, ohhhh!!!! Sorry, i caught you wrong. Yes they probaly will need trimming.

I'm sorry i didn't catch what you said!
SPitFIre

No problem! Good luck and have fun!

Tom

SPitFireV12RR
10-22-2005, 03:24 PM
well, right now i'm charging the batterys and i'm running the plane on my bedroom floor to break in the motors a little bit.
I wonder if it's possible to put better motors in ducted fan engines...well, not right now.
Hey, Tommy, is this considered a trainer plane? http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2164256

i had that once. it's a 1 channel plane. You turn it on, throw it and let the wind do the rest. you can turn but its not and effective turn. i was playing with it one day and a big gust of wind took it. it flew sideways, and hit my friends sliding glass window. i came over to see the damage report, and lol, the whole front was smashed and the motor was ten feet away from the plane..

SpitFIre

EpoweredRc
10-22-2005, 04:29 PM
well, right now i'm charging the batterys and i'm running the plane on my bedroom floor to break in the motors a little bit.
I wonder if it's possible to put better motors in ducted fan engines...well, not right now.
Hey, Tommy, is this considered a trainer plane? http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2164256

i had that once. it's a 1 channel plane. You turn it on, throw it and let the wind do the rest. you can turn but its not and effective turn. i was playing with it one day and a big gust of wind took it. it flew sideways, and hit my friends sliding glass window. i came over to see the damage report, and lol, the whole front was smashed and the motor was ten feet away from the plane..

SpitFIre

No harm in this question,but how old are you? a teen I am guessing? Why are you fooling with these wal mart planes? Are there not any hobby shops around you, Hobby shops have cheap planes like this but they do have working rudders and elevators and throttle control.

Happy flying

SPitFireV12RR
10-22-2005, 04:41 PM
well, i really don't want to get into the technical stuff right now. yes i am a teen. i want to be an aeronautical engineer so i know how to work the rudder flaps engine, ect. but i haven't been able to find a RTR kit for under $200-$300. I have a nitro powered car, but i don't want to get a nitro powered airplane, yet. I'm using this to gain exp.

Sorry if you don't like it...

EpoweredRc
10-22-2005, 04:51 PM
well, i really don't want to get into the technical stuff right now. yes i am a teen. i want to be an aeronautical engineer so i know how to work the rudder flaps engine, ect. but i haven't been able to find a RTR kit for under $200-$300. I have a nitro powered car, but i don't want to get a nitro powered airplane, yet. I'm using this to gain exp.

As I said No harm, Dont know why you had to come back with " sorry If I dont like it
I just asked and well If your father or whoever you live with has a credit card and can oder offline go to http://towerhobbies.com/ they have a few planes RTF or for under $200.00 I used to have a little Park Pilot while me and my father was on breck from flying the other planes. you said Nitro but Electric is really the way to go now.
This is the Park Pilot.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCGR1&P=ML

It uses a Battery that only takes 20 minutes to charge and I got about 8 minute flights with it, its a trainer type but I set up the controls so that I could do really tight turns and I did get it to do a loop once or twice. it has rudder and elevator and throttle it comes with a 3 channel radio.

Happy Flying

Twmaster
10-22-2005, 05:07 PM
There are more than a couple good planes under $200 that are terrific for a newb. See this most excellent and informative post by Ed Anderson:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234

I can personally vouch for the Easy Star, Slow Stick and T-Hawk as good beginner's planes.

Matt Kirsch
10-22-2005, 06:33 PM
EasyStar is definitely a good one, probably the best due to the fact that it uses conventional R/C gear, and everything comes with it for less than $200.

Take a look at the Firebird Commander series of planes, too. The latest one has an active self-righting system that brings the plane out of steep dives. One step up is the 3-channel Aerobird series of planes.

Another entry in the pusher RTF class is the classic T-Hawk. Unlike the Aerobird/Firebirds, it has a conventional elevator/rudder tail, but otherwise it's very similar.

SPitFireV12RR
10-22-2005, 07:17 PM
i don't see whats' wrong with my plane...i do have a budget

sorry foamiesrfun, i got sorta mad.
thanks, my bad,
spit

EpoweredRc
10-22-2005, 08:06 PM
i don't see whats' wrong with my plane...i do have a budget

sorry foamiesrfun, i got sorta mad.
thanks, my bad,
spit

No problem dude, me and After me we were just trying to help you out, You got that one for your birthday thats a lot better then some people get you know.:D But I know You would ( I guess) have more fun with one of these planes were talking about. Theres a few out there under $200.00 I think you would enjoy. You know the basics now, shouldn't be hard to go to full function rudder,elevator's.

Happy Flying
;)

SPitFireV12RR
10-22-2005, 08:32 PM
well, i can't take that one back so i will use the one i have now as a trainer for ones with ailerons and flaps ect.

also i was looking on towerhobbies, and i found that most of the ones under $200, don't come with servos or radios, so "technically" they're not "ready to run"

anyhow, i am building a balsa wood plane with my grandpa(hes a veteren flier) and i plane on putting and engine and servos in it. i think we have to get a new kit tho cause my grandpa got mixed up and told me to use all small bars and now we have none, lol.

I'm looking around on towerhobbies for a model i can build but keep it as a model or turn it into a flier

EpoweredRc
10-22-2005, 09:15 PM
well, i can't take that one back so i will use the one i have now as a trainer for ones with ailerons and flaps ect.

also i was looking on towerhobbies, and i found that most of the ones under $200, don't come with servos or radios, so "technically" they're not "ready to run"

anyhow, i am building a balsa wood plane with my grandpa(hes a veteren flier) and i plane on putting and engine and servos in it. i think we have to get a new kit tho cause my grandpa got mixed up and told me to use all small bars and now we have none, lol.

I'm looking around on towerhobbies for a model i can build but keep it as a model or turn it into a flier

I couldn't find the ones I knew about either ,hadn't been on there in a while,but I know there out there. Sounds like a good plan you got building one with your grandpa, best of luck with it.

Happy Flying

qban_flyer
10-22-2005, 11:02 PM

Say SPitFireV12RR,

There are many good options open to you for under $150 in the e-marketplace, though I checked out the link you provided and found that ESTES AF-1 a rather nice looking and intriguing model.

Check Hobby Lobby's site for beginner's options. The Wing Dragon is a three channel plane (rudder, elevator & trhottle) that flies extremely well, is durable to suffer through beginners mistakes and it is reasonably priced. A LHS may have thme in stock for the same price.

I have flown many of them on theior maiden flights and found them to be rather nice first planes.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon.htm

SPitFireV12RR
10-22-2005, 11:17 PM
thats pretty nice... i'll put that on my christmas list, lol

fabricator
10-22-2005, 11:18 PM
This was my first plane http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1100.html You want a high wing for stability, all the weight hang under the wing so it has a tendency to self right, and also a lot of diheidral (the wing tips are higher then the center) also adds self righting.
This is my second plane http://mountainmodels.com/ with the sport wing(adds ailerons) they have several very inexpensive kits that get great reviews, I had a sky zap that operated like your plane will, it had two motors everything was controlled by speed differential between the engines, it was very easy to fly, as a matter of fact I gave it to a 10 year old neighbor kid and he flys it almost every day, take the advice and blip the sticks in a turn.:)

qban_flyer
10-23-2005, 12:22 AM
This was my first plane http://www.electrifly.com/parkflyers/gpma1100.html You want a high wing for stability, all the weight hang under the wing so it has a tendency to self right, and also a lot of diheidral (the wing tips are higher then the center) also adds self righting.
This is my second plane http://mountainmodels.com/ with the sport wing(adds ailerons) they have several very inexpensive kits that get great reviews, I had a sky zap that operated like your plane will, it had two motors everything was controlled by speed differential between the engines, it was very easy to fly, as a matter of fact I gave it to a 10 year old neighbor kid and he flys it almost every day, take the advice and blip the sticks in a turn.:)

A qualifying opening statement, I've been flying R/C for longer than I care to remember.
IMHO, the G/P Yard Sick is not suitable for beginners since it is rather flimsy and delicate and won't survive but a handful of the hard landings a student pilot will put it through.

On the other hand, the Mountain Models Magpie is rather nice, durable and perfectly suitable for beginners.

Tommyr
10-23-2005, 12:27 AM
You could also check out the Parkzone Slo-V. Excellent 3 channel slow flyer.
I have one. I also bought a Firebird Scout but it's too fast for beginners IMHO, My first outing with it was real hairy, I flew it but it wasn't pretty! LOTS of crashes, it can take it but it's just too fast.

Tom

fabricator
10-23-2005, 12:38 AM
A qualifying opening statement, I've been flying R/C for longer than I care to remember.
IMHO, the G/P Yard Sick is not suitable for beginners since it is rather flimsy and delicate and won't survive but a handful of the hard landings a student pilot will put it through.

On the other hand, the Mountain Models Magpie is rather nice, durable and perfectly suitable for beginners.

I've only been in RC for about 4 months:D And am amazed at the resilience of the stick, I have nosed in at full speed trying to do an outside loop before I found out the flat bottomed wing wont do that, hit power lines, stuck in trees, and it keeps flying with very little damage, it looks flimsy but in actual practice it is surprisingly tough.:)

EpoweredRc
10-23-2005, 02:09 AM
I've only been in RC for about 4 months:D And am amazed at the resilience of the stick, I have nosed in at full speed trying to do an outside loop before I found out the flat bottomed wing wont do that, hit power lines, stuck in trees, and it keeps flying with very little damage, it looks flimsy but in actual practice it is surprisingly tough.:)

I always thought it looks like any little thing would breck it. Glad to hear thats not true, But watch out for that Treee!!!!!!!!!! LOL j/k

Happy Flying
:D

fabricator
10-23-2005, 02:14 AM
But watch out for that Treee!!!!!!!!!! LOL j/k

Happy Flying
:D

To late!:eek: :o

Faspro
10-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Say SPitFireV12RR,

There are many good options open to you for under $150 in the e-marketplace, though I checked out the link you provided and found that ESTES AF-1 a rather nice looking and intriguing model.

Check Hobby Lobby's site for beginner's options. The Wing Dragon is a three channel plane (rudder, elevator & trhottle) that flies extremely well, is durable to suffer through beginners mistakes and it is reasonably priced. A LHS may have thme in stock for the same price.

I have flown many of them on theior maiden flights and found them to be rather nice first planes.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/wingdragon.htm

I love my Wing Dragon.

qban_flyer
10-24-2005, 07:16 PM
I love my Wing Dragon.

They are good flying machines and the radio they provide with it is rather nice too.

Balil
05-21-2007, 05:26 AM
cant wait til payday! im gonna order one and gut it, make it a 5 channel with flaps :D once i get it here and apart we'll have a look at what size inrunner i will go with although having 4 esc's might be a bit of a problem depending on how much room i have for them in the wings... only time will tell...

MASTER MARINER
09-11-2007, 02:40 PM
I tried and failed with a Wingo. The major problem was that the engine mounting system was not solid and used rubber bands to hold the motor in place. The thrust angle was wrong from the beggining and probably the fault of poor assembly by me..After a number of lawn dart arrivals and many repairs, I bought a Multiplex EasyStar from Hobby Lobby and have been crash free and I am learning to fly with confidence.
Another suggestion is too get a good radio. My Spektrum DX7 (also from Hobby Lobby) allowed me to limit the amount of control surface throw and eliminate overcontrolling.

Frank Voikel
09-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Good for you!

In addition-holy post gap, Batman!
From 05 to May 07 to September 07!

jasmine2501
09-13-2007, 12:54 AM
One of these days I'm going to drive up to the Estes plant and give them a peice of my mind. They really should stick to making rockets. What are they thinking? A 42-inch 2-channel plane??!!:confused::mad::eek:

For that price they could have at least made it 3-channel with actual control surfaces. They are killing this hobby.

Fly Time
09-13-2007, 12:59 AM
One of these days I'm going to drive up to the Estes plant and give them a peice of my mind. They really should stick to making rockets. What are they thinking? A 42-inch 2-channel plane??!!:confused::mad::eek:

For that price they could have at least made it 3-channel with actual control surfaces. They are killing this hobby.

You tell 'em Jasmine! And while you're at it, might as well get after WalMart for selling RC airplanes as well. No good can come of this! :ws:

aero_k
09-21-2007, 06:38 PM
You tell 'em Jasmine! And while you're at it, might as well get after WalMart for selling RC airplanes as well. No good can come of this! :ws:

You can go after Walmart for selling a lot more than just RC planes...but thats a whole separate issue..:roll:

jasmine2501
09-21-2007, 06:51 PM
You can go after Walmart for selling a lot more than just RC planes...but thats a whole separate issue..:roll:

For the most part... I like Wal-Mart. I want my low prices every day! What I don't like is when they cross the boundary into products that require some customer service before use, like advanced hobby products and computers and so on... Wal-Mart, by definition, can not provide such service and they are being irresponsible selling products that require that. On the flip side also, customers assume that a product they bought at Wal-Mart will not require that type of service and so when it doesn't work, even if it's their fault, they assume the product is defective.