PDA

View Full Version : SpitFire lasted 12 flights

constantCrash
05-20-2007, 12:03 AM
I just obliterated my Hobby Zone spitfire.

It was a perect day for flying, Sunny, but with clowds blocking the direct sun, 2-5 mph winds in the perfect direction for takeoff/landing.
I ran a battery through my SuperCub until the low voltage kicked in and then glided it back home for a perect landing. Took out the Spitfire. plugged in, ranged checked, throw: ran through 3/4s of the battery doing low fast passes and practicing my loops. flew out ~200 feet, went to turn around, lost orientation (i don't know how i ost it) ended up upside down 10 feet from the ground when i thought i was right side up, pulled "up" and piledrove into the ground at full throttle. pictures of the destruction are pending. Snapped the wing in 2, and everthing forward of the wing is in bits.

Ugh, such is life.

Well, pictures are attached. the 3rd picture is of the battery. the Impact apparently punctured one of the cells of the battery. Anybody got any suggestions on what to do with it?
my options are:
cut the bad cell out and use it in my super cub,
replace the bad cell with a good one.
throw the whole buggard thing away in an angry fit.

Crashing these warbirds is expensive. over half the cost of the plane.

Tinman
05-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Sorry for your loss... :(

III Bones Air Force
05-25-2007, 02:12 AM
:blah: Sorry man.. with some glue, little color, hope you can fly it again.

constantCrash
06-03-2007, 11:27 PM
new cowl, motor, firewall, prop and spinner, Everything else is original.

glued the wing back together with elmers+gorilla glue, covered in TowerKote white (which is at best a cream). painted body with Krylon H20 cream.

This was my first attempt at covering anything so you can see some small bubbles and stuff. I also added some Green electrical tape inversion stripes so what happened the first time won't happen again.

Hoping to maiden this week sometime.

constantCrash
06-05-2007, 08:37 PM
It flies, III Bones and I Re-Maidened it at lunch time. No trims needed Although I ether forgot to put in the screws holding the top of the motor mount to the firewall or they worked their way out (probably the former) but I got it down without incident. Can't say the same for III Bones's Super cub ;-).

III Bones Air Force
06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah that was not expected (the crash). The building which I objected when they puuled the permit for it right next to teh football field came out of no where, the wind did not help much either, besides the battery was not at full capacity....all factors combined to this fateful event today that obliterated the fuse, broke the motor mount, and to some extent my pride in my own abilities to fly in somewhat windy conditions...You know what...I'll be flying in no time though..It is back in the hangar (garage) for some repairs and will be out there again soon. No one got hurt though, there were no passengers on board. In fact the pilot was not even in teh plane

Later dudes.

constantCrash
06-07-2007, 10:16 PM
The motor screws had been forgotten. all is right now and I'm just waiting for the darn 20+mph wind to go away so I can re-re-maiden.

Airhead
06-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Hey Crash,
Looks like you have gotten things back under control for yourself. good job!:) Good luck with your next flights..

constantCrash
06-18-2007, 12:26 AM
I apparently didn't have things as under control as i thought i did. I took a shortcut when re-covering the bottom of the wing and didn't remove the plastic piece on the bottom to cover all the way across but instead just covered up to the plastic. Well, this weekend I was having a great flight doing tight loops, turns and practicing inverted flying, when upon comming out of a lazy left turn the wing folded and down it came. Not sure if it's fixable again or not. the same wing broke, but it broke right were the covering ended. I should have known that the styrofoam alone would not be able to handle the stress. Oh well another lesson learned.

III Bones Air Force
06-19-2007, 04:53 AM
Hey there CC. I flew right after I called you I might add had great take offs and even better smooth as butter landings..The wind was somewhat gusty. Had the whole family watching.. I kept flying until it got too dark to see it coming in for a landing....The SC is back in its hangar (garage) safe and sound. I am thinking of a couple of next steps...either a DX6 or 7 or a JR radio. then go on to build my own system. With the new radio I can stick with it as my AIR FORCE grows. THe other step is set up the SC for night flight.

PEACE

constantCrash
06-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Good to hear that you can actualy take of and land. maybe now that you have it under control you should start off with a new fuse, wing that you can make pretty. I'd love to get a couple of sonic combats to play with.

Disassembled what was left of the spitfire again last night. There isn't a whole lot of original foam left in that wing. But I dont really have anything to loose in attempting to fix it agian. Also need to replace the spinner, firewall, and driveshaft as all that is broken.
Oh and the battery got dented AGAIN I'm not going to have to bash the old busted battery and the newer busted battery together to get one good 9 cell and another good 7 cell. I'll be stopping by kevin's today to get the stuff for battery bashing.

constantCrash
06-20-2007, 06:38 PM
The wing is once again glued back together, this time re-enforced with that packing tape that has fiberglass threads in it. going to cover it tonight, and see if i can find a new firewall here in town.

III Bones Air Force
06-21-2007, 01:23 AM
Hey constant...Remember what I told you once, it may bear repeating. I am in this wonderful hobby for fun only, I am sure you did not wake up an ace and everytime you fly you at least expect to land. Sometimes that is not the real outcome. I guess you had and it seems still have your fare share of crashes. Anyway, I like the idea of taking my time, in fact I won't shy away from a Sonic Combat round, again for fun only. Unless the purse has something like a $1000 or more. Right now I am just working on more tinkering which is really part of the fun as well in learning to put systems together and make them work seamlessly. I have never busted a battery yet though. and If I do I will seek help from you on how to salvage one out of two.

By the way I was at ETH (Kevin's) today bought a gear puller 2 more rotors, some deans connectors and checked out the watt meters. I have a small indoor flyer (about 18' wing span) with Micro Invent ESC and receiver, and a 3.7 V Lipo. I use my Futaba RX to fly it. However, the rudder and elevetor hinges are bad and I am contemplating getting another small Airplane and use the electronics I have on the old one to get it off the ground.

BY the way I bought a new Fuse for the SC, however, I am still using the old one, so long that it can sustain the riggors of extreme SC flights and of course the now rare and occasional rough landing. I am also looking at a mod using aluminum stock for the landing gear. If the SC was made in the US it may have better quality componenets than the ones that come with it, landing gear, connectors, and motor mount to mention a few.

Again, I am in it for fun, if I crash once or twice, that means I could spend more time in my hangar (garage) fixing it and contemplating the universe.

PEACE man.

III Bones Air Force
06-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Sorry Dave got real busy this AM. You know wife and kids and all that. Hope you had a nice peacful flight this AM. I was really thinking about going to the field this AM before you called and before the day started and the whole family woke up. You beat me to it and by then the whole gang is up wanting to do stuff other than flying. However, I will try later this evening if the wind does not pick up or we get hit with rain.

PEACE

See ya later.

constantCrash
07-13-2007, 04:45 AM
Finaly got around to finishing up putting the spit back together again. It sure is starting to look worse for wear. I had to buy new gear sets for the servos because both were stripped. Re-maided it around 9pm and it flew as good as it ever did. I'm still a little worried about the strenght of the wing, but it seems to be holding.

III Bones Air Force
07-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Hey Dave good to hear your SF is back in the air. Check out the latest addition to my Hanger (FW 190 Warbird). Just finished connecting the elevator and rudder horns. I am still working on fitting the 7.4 800 mah battery. I hope the wind dies down today Saturday so that Jason and I can maiden it at the soccer field. How is your ZERO coming along?. I guess between us Germany & Japan are back in business.:sad:

Later,