PDA

View Full Version : One Eyed, One Winged, Flying Purple-Power Photo Taker

buzzbomber
10-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Okay, so the the thread title's a bit of a stretch, but at least I got your attention.;)

I've been interested in performing aerial photography with my r/c planes for quite some time--almost every time I go up in a full-scale plane, I make sure to have a camera with me--but, until now I haven't acted on my wishes of doing the same with r/c. Well, here in the Northeast, we had EIGHT straight days of rain last week, and obviously, I didn't do any flying during that time.

Instead, I contracted a severe case of cabin fever, and consequently decided to rectify the fact that I still hadn't gotten around to trying R/C AP. a few paint stirrer sticks, an old Mini Telemaster, a Hacker A20-20L, and a Nikon Coolpix 3200 later, and I'm a bonafide aerial photographer--at least in my mind. Unfortunately, I've only had one opportunity to fly the camera rig so far, and that being less than ten minutes prior to sunset, the pictures resulting weren't exactly prizewinners. However, a few were at least legible, and I submit them for your edification:

eflight-ray
10-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Well done buzzbomber, like the look of your camera rig, though perhaps a little exposed. I made the mistake of mounting a camera looking straight down, I was surprised just how high you had to fly to get a decent picture. I also found out that trying to bank and then take a picture, can give some very blurred shots.
The only other snag I found, was once I had photographed the flying site rather a lot of time, it became rather boring. At least with a side facing camera you can also do some low and close shots.

buzzbomber
10-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

I have to admit, I'm not crazy about having the camera that exposed, but I figured best to give it a go and see how it shakes out before building a dedicated platform or hacking this one up to enclose the camera further.

I know what you mean about the potential for running out of photo material at the flying site--I wound up junking about half of the 40 pics I took--one can only use so many dark, grainy shots of the club flying patch, after all. However, the choice of the Mini Telemaster was intended to mitigate this somewhat. Due to it's small size and relatively slow speed, It can operate out of relatively small areas, such as a 400m running track/soccer pitch. When I get a little more time with the rig, I plan to fly it out of the high school across the street from my home and do some photodocumentation of the neighborhood. I've already done quite a bit of flying there on the weekends, so I've got a fair bit of idea what to expect for wind currents, best approach, overfly area, etc.

qban_flyer
10-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Okay, so the the thread title's a bit of a stretch, but at least I got your attention.;)

I've been interested in performing aerial photography with my r/c planes for quite some time--almost every time I go up in a full-scale plane, I make sure to have a camera with me--but, until now I haven't acted on my wishes of doing the same with r/c. Well, here in the Northeast, we had EIGHT straight days of rain last week, and obviously, I didn't do any flying during that time.

Instead, I contracted a severe case of cabin fever, and consequently decided to rectify the fact that I still hadn't gotten around to trying R/C AP. a few paint stirrer sticks, an old Mini Telemaster, a Hacker A20-20L, and a Nikon Coolpix 3200 later, and I'm a bonafide aerial photographer--at least in my mind. Unfortunately, I've only had one opportunity to fly the camera rig so far, and that being less than ten minutes prior to sunset, the pictures resulting weren't exactly prizewinners. However, a few were at least legible, and I submit them for your edification:

Nicer set up. Very nice photos too, though I think you were rather close to those trees on the first shot.

One can never tell when one of those plane hungry trees will reach up and grab an unsuspecting one just passing near them!!!

eflight-ray
10-25-2005, 08:47 PM
If your digital camera has the facility, try recording some video, it's a great way of making you feel sick when you play it back.
Friend of mine did one some years ago using a cine camera, none of us could watch it for long. The plane looked reasonably stable until you saw the film, would have made a great roller coaster ride simulator.

qban_flyer
10-26-2005, 12:23 AM
If your digital camera has the facility, try recording some video, it's a great way of making you feel sick when you play it back.
Friend of mine did one some years ago using a cine camera, none of us could watch it for long. The plane looked reasonably stable until you saw the film, would have made a great roller coaster ride simulator.

Correct! I have a friend who has installed a CC video set up on one of his models, hooked up to a 5" color monitor and to a digital video recorder on the ground.

When he is "flying" we can hardly watch the "view" on the monitor, it makes us dizzy. When played back on a 21" PC monitor, it really makes everyone gag! Watch the video on a regular 35" TV directly from the DVR and you had better do so on an empty stomach! Especially when the plane is coming in for a landing.

buzzbomber
10-26-2005, 03:10 PM

The Nikon I'm using does have a video mode, but I only have 128mb cards to work with, so the length of video would be fairly limited. However, I will probably give it a try when there is an opening in the weather here.

evdo
11-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Nice pics Matt, looks familar...;) the fall colors will really come out in the next couple days/weeks great time to get some ap at the field...

-Tom

buzzbomber
11-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Hey Tom, nice to see you here. Hoping to get some more airtime over the next week, but things are kind of busy for me right now, so we'll see. It would be really nice to get some fall color aerial shots of Waterloo Village, but it might be too far to get a clear view...

-Matt

buzzbomber
11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
I took the Telemaster out last Saturday and shot a few(okay, about 100) pictures. I'll post some of the good ones here when I get the opportunity, but for now, I hope nobody minds if I link to my gallery on another site: http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=17213

buzzbomber
11-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Just thought I would update this post with a few new photos from last weekend, so here they are...