PDA

View Full Version : Gws Esc

dus10lee
08-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Im trying to figure out which GWS ESC I would need for a plane with a 400 motor. The problem is on the tower hobbies website they list the GWS ESC's with different prduct letters and each letter stands for something different. Can someone explain which ESC I would need. Here is a link to an ESC I was looking at and at the bottom of the page is the letter scale. I just dont understand what type I would need. Ex. Do I need Forward or Forward+Brake. Do I need an on/off switch? Do I need a lower cutoff voltage? Here is the link:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHVA6&P=0

I know its a 30A ESC which is more than I would need, but I am also thinking of the future and that I can use it for a bigger motor.

On another note: A Copy/Paste fuction would be nice for this forum. Instead of making a link I could have just paste the section with the explanation of each letter.

Reformed Nitroaddict
08-03-2005, 07:26 PM
You would want the ICS 400, not the 600.

The ICS means that it is foward only, which is what you want. Otherwise, you end up applying brake to the prop which can break it during landing.

I wouldn't worry too much about going to a bigger motor than the 400. If you want to go any bigger, it would be silly not to go brushless, which will require a different ESC.

rcers
08-03-2005, 07:32 PM
Speed 400 motors are good to about 10 or 11 amps so I use 15+ amp controllers on them. That gives you some nice overhead. I have used 30amp ESC's on speed 400's nothing wrong with it other than the increased weight of the controller.

dus10lee
08-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the help. I will probably just go with the 15A one, the only thing that I was worried about is that on tower hobbies it says to use a 20A ESC for the estarter.