PDA

View Full Version : Non Stock ALTERNATE POWER

hillbille
05-25-2007, 07:48 PM
This thread is to list alternate power sources for warbirds and/or planes of all types. I hope this will get a lot of activity and maybe the new to scale or just new flyers can learn as well as the vets about motors, mounts, mods and power.

What woulsd work best is:

Plane: GP S.E. 5a
Motor used: Turborix 2410-09
Mount used: 1/8" ply home made (trace of stock mount - new holes for motor)
ESC: GP - SS - 25
Battery: 11.1v 15C Lipo
Prop(s) used: APC 10X3.8E(13 anps)

Debreifing: Flies good with this setup - plenty of power for verticle maneuvers and excellent climb rate.

This might greatly help a lot of flyers decide to get a WWI or WWII airplane if they knew that they already had or could aquire a low cost setup that would "work" for it and not be out the extra expense. Well anyway hope this will prompt the "Test Pilots" out there to report on their findings!!?? Thanks everyone!!

Biplane Murphy
05-30-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi Hillbilly, I'm sort of hillbilly too(at least thats what my city folk friends tell me!) Since I live in Northern California In the coastal redwoods. I also have the SE5A, And the Fokker dVII, and the new GP ultimate electric(Probably the best plane I've had yet!!) I Have several glow fuel planes as well, But just the three electrics. All three have E-flite 480 outrunners...40 amp esc...2100 11.1v LiPo... HS-55 servos. All three have extreme unlimited vertical performance!!! Love those 480's!!:) :)
Here,s a photo of my electrics, But the profile CAP-232 has been introduced to the burn pile,:< :eek: and gear went in the Ultimate bipe a couple weeks ago!!

Biplane Murphy
05-30-2007, 01:13 AM
oh yea.... apc 12x6 slowflier props. Throws all set to physical maximum possible. all three have exhillerating mind blowing manueverability and performance!!!!!!

hillbille
05-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Murph - I actually am hillbilly - you see my parents had a sense of humor - my last name actually is Hill and my first name is Bill (not William - that was my Dad) middle initial is E soooo mitilarily I am Hill,Bill,E! I was never in the military - just missed the late 60's draft - lotto you know - my number was 246 and they only drafted up to 243 - but can you imagine me in the Marines - that Drill Seargent would say "What's you name son?" and I'd answer "Hillbilly sseargent" and he'd say "Get you butt down there and give me twenty and tell me your real name!!" - I would have had 20" arms at least!!!

Ok OK enough about me. I am just hoping that this thread will help people ( especially noobies) to decide on these little planes for everyday fliers. If people realize that other power sources will work and fly these just as well or better than the "recommended" stock set up then they might be more likely to try what they have or at the very least learn what WON'T work!! So thanks for the post!!

Hilbilly

Biplane Murphy
05-30-2007, 07:13 PM
So for the new people. Set up right an electric plane with Brushless outrunner motor, Electronic speed control, and Lithium-polymer batteries is usually lighter with a much better power to weight ratio!!!! Blinding performance that my slimers(glow engines) can rarely attain. As I have electric and glow powered planes I do like both, but the electrics do seem to outperform the fuel driven ones.
Happy flyin'........Chris

degreen60
06-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Plane: SigKavan Albatros DV
Motor used: 2410-08Y
Mount used: Original fire wall cut and set aft with alum firewall motor mount.
ESC: KMS 10A
Battery: 6 Nimh
Prop(s) used: GWS 0907

Debreifing: Flies good with this setup.

Original motor on this plane only lasted 4 flights and did not have as much power.

degreen60
06-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Plane: Wattage Camel
Motor used: 2410-09Y
Mount used: Original fire wall cut and set forward with alum firewall motor mount.
ESC: Virtuoso 20A
Battery: 6 AA Nicads mounted in U shape over motor mount and motor. No additional weight needed to balance.
Prop(s) used: GWS 1180

Debreifing: Flies good with this setup. Plenty of power. Nice slow relaxing flights.

degreen60
06-03-2007, 02:51 PM
Plane: GWS Slow Stick F
Motor used: Unmodified Brushless motor from PC tape drive
Mount used: Plywood mount glued to 1/2inch foam mounted on front of fuselage
ESC: Mystery FM10A (I do NOT recommend)
Battery: 8 AAA Nimhs
Prop(s) used: GWS 1080

Debreifing: Flies good with this setup. Nice slow trainer

hillbille
06-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Plane: Parkzone FW-190
Power: TP2409-18T
ESC: Turborix 20A
Battery: 2100Mah 3s Sonix
Prop: GWS1060

Plywood 2"X2" square with square hole for stick (3/8"X3/8") epoxied w/bracing for mount - cut so that the outrunner comes very close to the cowl.

Good Flyer with plenty of pep.

Voyager2lcats
08-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Great posts guys. I really like this thread.

Bob

Saucerguy2
08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally set up with a brushed geared 350, instant tip stall city. I put the mangled mess in the corner of my rafters for quite a while before digging it out and fixing it, this time putting in a 2409-12T and 11.1, 1000mah lipo, it does 100mph ez.

Prof100
08-30-2007, 09:10 PM
OOPS
NOT A WARBIRD but anyway

Plane: Hobbyzone Super Cub
Motor: AON electric T2815-3000
Stock gearbox with JB weld to reduce NVH and stock gearing 3:1.
ESC: 32 Amp (should probably be 35 amp)
Prop: APC 10 x 7 E
Battery: 11.1 V 15C WOW
Motor mount is reinforced for this combination by epoxying in 3/8" plywood with blind nuts embedded in the backside.
Radio: DX6
Flight characterstics: Ungodly vertical. Almost too much power for this plane. Can do outside loops (ugly) with this power even though the SC has a flat bottom wing. Most of the flight is at 40% throttle. Can coast into a dead end of my yard with 100 foot high trees looming and apply WOT and simply go vertical to climb out over the tops of the trees.

This motor is a bolt-in combination that Simibill found and did first. Thank him for the research and thank me for slight development.

proffcharlie
09-08-2007, 11:09 AM
OOPS also not a war bird but .
UltraFly Extra 300 Foam
Original motor / Speed 400 with 3:1 gear reduction
Prop APC 9x6E
Battery Thunder Power 11.1 1329 mAh 3 cell
Plane flew but that's about as much as I can say. Motor would get very hot and measured amp draw was over 15 amps at WOT static.
Switched to a TowerPro 2409-18 delta all other factor are the same.
Plane takes off from grass in about 25 feet, vert. is great, amp draw is down to 12 amps at WOT. I have to figure a way to add right thrust to motor because of hard left at WOT due to increased torque. Plane looses the canopy during a snap spin. Now will knife edge, wouldn't with the Speed 400. Oh, plane is almost 2 oz lighter. What more could I ask for?

Charlie