PDA

View Full Version : S-39

sikorsky
10-24-2005, 10:39 PM
After contact with an austrian waterflyer, he did a 3m-span Emily with 4 Speed 400-motors, I decided to go a new way.
Having flown, and crashed, some electric driven modelplanes in the last 30 years, esspecially parkflyers, I now want to do a waterplane.
Cause I am a professional yachtmodelbuilder, I love waterplanes also.
My new project will be a Sikorsky S-39.
The model should be built from Depron/Foam and carbon.
Span should be about 1400mm and the plane will be powered by a brushless motor (90 Watt), that I get a motorglider with some more power to start from water.
Base for my model is an old plan for a freeflight S-39, designed (?) by S.Calhoun Smith and Dick Ealy.
Have someone here experiences with such a concept?;)

flicka5
10-25-2005, 02:41 AM
A S39 has been modeled in electric with a fiberglass fuselage. A kit is avilable in the US. Image attached.

sikorsky
10-25-2005, 11:32 AM
@flicka5

thank you for this pic.
Do you have a link to the manufacturer?

flicka5
10-25-2005, 01:46 PM
@flicka5

thank you for this pic.
Do you have a link to the manufacturer?

Yep, the link is easily found by typing Sikorsky S39 into google as it comes up as the second link.
http://www.classicaero.com/main.php
A little expensive but I have seen the owner's work in person and his airplanes and they are worth it! My mistake as a poor memory said a fiberglass fuse but really a vacuum formed plastic fuselage.

sikorsky
10-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Thank you for the link!!!
I tried to google, but didn't find this link. Maybe the american google works not the same way than the german.

Vyceroy
10-26-2005, 06:12 AM
I have had the priviledge of meeting the owner (Allen i think) My Memory is terrible .. Met him at Toledo and SEFF this year . a great product from a great guy .. i have been drooling over his planes for 2 years ..

His planes inspired me to make myself a small cheap foam version of the S-38 .. All Bluecor .. i Crashed it due to dumb thumbs and have started a second version with many improvements ..

flicka5
10-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Some more from Toledo show.

sikorsky
10-26-2005, 08:15 PM
good pics!
I've seen that the plan I have is a conglomerat of both types, S-38/S-39. I think, that the freeflight model was designed as look-alike.
So I have to make some conversions to the plan.
Meanwhile I've seen the classicaero site. Wonderful models! But to expensive
for my experiment. Though the kits are not to expensive for their work and material.
But if I do some of them, I prefer to build it as static.

sikorsky
10-26-2005, 11:28 PM
here is a pic of the plan

Vyceroy
10-27-2005, 12:10 AM
I have that plan Ernst .. i dont build with Balsa so im going to convert the plan to sheet foam some day ..

its a great plan and nicely detailed for a sorta scale ..

flicka5
10-27-2005, 04:39 AM
Took these four years ago in Canada at a scale rally. Built by same fellow Alan M. who runs Classicaero. This was on or before he designed the electric S-29 kit. Beautiful models.

S-39
11-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Here's one my flying buddy Omar built a few years back. I flew it for him at the first indoor event at Bowling Green during the Toledo show.

sikorsky
11-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi S-39,

do you have some more pics please?
And, maybe, the measurement (span, motor, lenght).
Did you make a conversion from GWS Pico Stick?

Ernst

oforberg
11-01-2005, 09:29 PM
The wings and tail were from a pico stick cub by GWS, stock IPS motor,GWS receiver and pico servos. Would be a much better flyer now with Lipos but it was not bad back then either. The hull was made by gluing up foam meat trays ( way before the days of available depron). Tailbraces and float supports were bamboo cooking skewers.

Thank heavens we have come a long way since then. The Dolphin was my next seaplane...foamboard with the paper soaked off and two IPS motors, about 46" span.

Omar