PDA

View Full Version : Sig cub.

Andy m
10-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Anyone converted the Sig clipped wing cub kit to electric? I have a mate who is half way through the build and is starting to think electric. :)

Twmaster
10-25-2005, 01:08 AM
Yup been done. Derek Woodward built an electric powered Sig Cub. Flies like a dream. A big AXI or a geared speed 700 should fly it. Check out the belt drive units on Tom Hunt's web site: www.modelairtech.com

He has some monster sized power units that will fly that Cub with authority!

Dereck
10-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Andy
I did the 1/5th scale J3, to 84.5" span - which one is your buddy doing?

That's the one Mike mentions. I don't have it any more, as it was a PITA to haul around, but it was an easy convert and a great flier.

Once I detuned her from 20 cells to 16 - on 20, it took off in a stupid looking short space and flew around mostly on idle. On 16 x 3000 NiMh, it weighed a little over 8lbs and acted just like a Cub.

Hardly did a thing to it beyond what was needed to seat two x 8 cell packs in series and bolt a MaxCim 13Y to the slimer firewall. If that's the kit your buddy has, be happy to elaborate, but there's not much to tell.

Regards

Dereck

Andy m
10-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Dereck,

My mate's cub is much smaller that yours, I don't have the figures to hand bit I think it is around the 50 inch span mark. He says the glow engine range is from a .19 2 stroke upwards.

I reckon something like my AXI 2814/10 would fly it, but he is not too keen on spending a lot of cash on his first electric model.;)

BTW Dereck, the Klemm is now flying at last (but that's another story) :rolleyes:

Dereck
10-26-2005, 02:49 AM
Andy - don't we turn up in the oddest places? Good to hear the Klemm got it together, a nice and under-modelled prototype if ever there was. Maybe if it wasn't for those exposed round engine jugs???

Sounds like the clipwing 1/6th. Older kit, a fine UK based example should be showing up soon in the December QEFI - guess who's column :rolleyes: ?

Structure's a little beefy, but this one flies fine on a 2826 and ten big round jugs. Have thought of one to replace my dearly beloved but too much trouble to transport 1/5th J3 - but I'd prop the cowl up on the table and put Dereck's world infamous "but it looks more like a rubber model" structure behind it, with my AXI 2820/10 and 8 or 9 BRJs back of it. Would be a clipwing too - I know of some fabulous and definitely non-yellow examples that scream out to be modelled.

If he could pick up something like a used Astro 035 or 05 in good shape, and with the right gearing, that would do fine - ten cells, a shade under 30A, they last forever and would chuck out enough power. It's do-able with a cheap-O geared ferrite, but it would be borderline and wouldn't last long at the kind of power needed. Probably not much fun either - the clipwings stand slinging around some. IIRC, around 56" span and the one from Kent weighs around 4lb.

Regards

Dereck

Andy m
10-26-2005, 12:26 PM
Dereck,

Thanks for the info, Bill (my mate) subscribes to QEFI so I might get him to stall the build until he sees the article. :) As I have a 2820/10 = ESC that is presently unemployed I may just lend it to him so he can really see the good things about electric flight.

I also have a load of those cylindrical things that he could have, what is it they are called again?............Oh yes, sub c cells! ;)

RMS
10-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Back in the 80s........ 54: wingspan Sig Clipped wing cub. Astroflight Ferrite 10 with belt reduction. Don't remember the cell count. Don't use the plywood.