PDA

View Full Version : 1/5th scale Cox Waco YMF-5 Build thread

firemanbill
05-31-2007, 03:11 AM
Well time to start the Build thread for my Beautiful Waco YMF-5 from Cox models. Thanks have to go out to the fine folks at Cox for making this all possible due to their most generous donation to the raffle at SEFF!

This bird is a 72” span 1/5th scale Waco YMF-5. It is powered by their 5030/18 Brushless Outrunner and a 90 amp Opto ESC, again, thanks to the fine folks at Cox!

The parts of this aircraft are absolutely perfect. Everything is laser straight dead on accurate. The construction has been an absolute breeze due to the fact that Jim Terry at Cox wrote the instructions in English! Yes folks English! What a novel concept that has been. It took me the better part of 10 minutes to realize I was actually understanding what I was reading!

The only negative thing I have found to this point is the collar that holds the wheel pants on the shaft was poorly assembled and one of mine has separated making it difficult at best to attach it to the gear. Jim fixed that today when I asked him for a fix. He is shipping me one out tomorrow.

Even better was that Jim took the time to really go through the set up with me and explained how he did so many things on the original conversion to electric. We ended up spending about 45 minutes on the phone going over stuff. What great customer service!

Ok… things I’ve learned so far.

Big planes are really cool!
You have to be more careful with big planes. (I hit the ceiling a time or two moving this thing around.)
Big batteries are really expensive…
I need glasses… (more on that later)
My workbench is a lot smaller than I though it was…
I need a DX7
Cox models are super guys and great to deal with…Ok more later… Here we go.

firemanbill
05-31-2007, 03:19 AM
Step one was to go to the website and download the latest greatest instruction that Jim contiunes to update and make as good as possible for the builder. There is also the electric conversion specs there also.

Once that was done I slowly stepped into this thing feeling somewhat overwhelmed by it's size at first.

I found out real quick it takes a lot more room on my bench than I realized and I inadvertantly set it down on some stuff a time or two casuing some scuffs and dings in the covering. Noting hurt but cosmetics but you really have to be careful with something this big.

The first few days was getting the wings together which went very smooth due to the quality of the build. I did not hae to tweak anything to get it to fit together correctly.

firemanbill
05-31-2007, 03:27 AM
Aileron hinging was pretty straigh forwward with CA hinges so we'll skip that part.

Once the wing was together the servo install came. I am using JR Sport ST126MG Metal gear servos in all positions.

There is a string glued inplace both at the center servo lead exit and at the servo location to aid in getting the leads in place. This made it a snap getting the servos in place.

firemanbill
05-31-2007, 03:35 AM
After that came the top wing and aileron install on that. again nothing fancy there.

I went ahead at this point and removed the fuel tank bulkhead and made the battery tray addition and cutout the cooling inlet on the firewall. Again thanks to the clear instructions this was a breeze!

Once that was in the langing gear struts went on.. Very sturdy heavy duty stuff here.

firemanbill
05-31-2007, 03:41 AM
Tonight I finished up the tail section and got all the control horns attached and rods in place. I also got the servos in place and ready for connections.

firemanbill
05-31-2007, 03:43 AM
Tomorrow this goes in!

Mr. Baggins
05-31-2007, 04:40 AM
That looks wicked big Bill. Hope to see it down here one day.

Grasshopper
05-31-2007, 04:52 AM
Looks good Bill. That is one big honkin motor. I also noticed a poor little neglected P-38 hanging in the background.

firemanbill
05-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Oh you will Bill! It'll be sure to make the trip back down with me next time out!

Tom a lot of my "other" stuff has been feeling neglected here lately...:silly: It's real easy to get torally wrapped up in this one!

firemanbill
06-01-2007, 02:30 AM
Well I got some more done tonight... started getting the radio gear in and tail pushrods in place... Big doofy me cut my rudder pushrod too short so I'm off to the LHS tomorrow... Oh well I needed to go anyway.:silly:

I like the dual pushrods for the Elevator and how it is connected. This may be normal for bigger planes but its the first one I've seen. There is one rod off the servo into a connector and then the 2 rods go to the back from there. It seems like this setup will make equal pulls and setup a cinch.

Motor is in as well and the esc setup and squared away. Plenty of room to put that thing just about anywhere I want!

Did I mention Big planes are really cool!? It is really neat to get to use tools out of my toolbox to put this thing together. :ws: I have found myself heading to the big toolbox more than once now!

firemanbill
06-01-2007, 02:36 AM
I also went ahead and started getting the cabanes setup and went ahead and mocked up the wing just to see what she looks like together!

SWEET!!!!!!

Nice setup with the hardware, and all the brackets are in neat little bags labeled as to where they go. There is just enough difference in them to get you off track so nice move on the packaging.

I still have to take the wings back off to get into the rudder pushrod and set it up as well as place the receiver.

It won't be long now though and she will be ready to go!:ws:

Mr. Baggins
06-01-2007, 12:22 PM
That is a fine looking machine Bill

Mike Parsons
06-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Looks great Bill!

Grasshopper
06-01-2007, 02:24 PM
That is so cool looking. I have always loved the Waco. I know how I feel, but do you think big planes are cool?:D Last night I was finishing up my Extra 260 and I thought about what you said earlier about banging that big thing around on your bench. It seemed I was finding every sharp object in my shop to bang my plane on while I was finishing it. I was thinking what it must be like to move that big thing around in your shop. I think I'm going to tell my wife I need to build a new building out back for my shop.:silly:

firemanbill
06-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Thanks again guys! Tom I have hit more things moving this thing around...:sad: It is so hard to get used to it being so big! When you are used to littler style park flyers it is reall hard to adjust... Of course I do have the 130 and had the Airliner but they feel small even compared to this thing!

Can't wait to fly her. I picked up a prop and a nother pushrod to replace the rudder one I cut to short so I'll get all that done tonight.

Mike, I called Milton about the batteries but he hasn't called me back yet. Will try again this weekend to get ahold of him.

firemanbill
06-02-2007, 03:07 AM
well she is ready to go except for the battery and receiver... lol:silly:

i did find the one hard thing to do tonight and that was to put the cowl on. The hex head screws are way down in there and I did not have a wrench long enough to get in there plus ist was a bear getting them started... my big clumsy hands wouldn't fit in there real well... but where there's a will theres a way... Ended up holding my allen wrench with a pair of hemostats to twist 'em in.

One of the resessed nuts in the top wing that the strut bracket screws in to broke out when I was putting in the last strut screw... now I can't get the screw in or out... Gotta figure that one out... will work on that tomorrow.

Other than that this bird has gone together really well with the help of some very good instructions written by the Cox guys. If you want to get into a big plane that is built really well this is the one for you! I couldn't be happier...

Now I just gotta get that DX7!:roll:

:ws: Anybody want to buy my DX6 transmitter???:ws:

Grasshopper
06-02-2007, 03:42 AM
She's awful purdy Bill. Maiden tomorrow?

firemanbill
06-02-2007, 03:47 AM
I wish... still gotta get the batteries! Hope to get them orederd this weekend

Mr. Baggins
06-02-2007, 04:11 AM
I hope you're tuning up the vid cam

firemanbill
06-02-2007, 04:13 AM
OH yeah! There will be a vid!

Mr. Baggins
06-02-2007, 04:18 AM
Gonna sell off the camper to put batteries in it :)

firemanbill
06-02-2007, 04:19 AM
nah.. Maybe a bug or two though!:roll:

Airhead
06-02-2007, 04:39 AM
Hey Bill,
I can see your plane is beautiful..:ws: I like following your build with all your photos.
And, yes I guess you may need a larger workbench.....What was that about glasses??
Good luck, Great job..:ws:

firemanbill
06-02-2007, 04:42 AM
Thanks Bruce! I can't wait to get it airborn!:ws:

Boomerang
06-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi Bill, lookin' good. A friend had the smaller 1/6 Waco & like it so much he built the bigger 1/5. They were Pica kits then & not ARF. They are great flyers, both his were glow powered, the bigger version with a 120 four stroke then a ST 3000.

His were rather heavy, he's a fan of 2 pack paint, he even started to build a 1/4 scale version. - enjoy! - John.

firemanbill
06-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks Boomer. I can see why he liked them so much.

I got my new radio today so all that's left is batts. Next weekend maybe for the maiden.:ws:

Balil
06-03-2007, 01:19 AM
you picked out some batteries for that big waco yet?

firemanbill
06-03-2007, 01:42 AM
well I know what I want... just haven't decided where to get 'em yet...

I'm going with 2 4s in series for an 8s setup. probably right at or just over the 4000 mah range

Balil
06-03-2007, 02:51 AM
are you going with 2 4s 4000mah packs or 2 4s 2000mah packs?

firemanbill
06-03-2007, 03:08 AM
2 4s 4000 in series

Balil
06-03-2007, 03:28 AM
i wonder if i could slap that motor on a stryker :D

Grasshopper
06-30-2007, 03:10 PM
How's she coming Bill? Any progress on the batteries? Can't wait to see video of the maiden.

firemanbill
06-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Tom I got the batteries in yesterday afternoon! I am working on getting the final wiring done now and will have her ready to go.

It is rainy and just generally crappy here today so I should be able to get her all finished up. I hope to get it out tomorrow weather permitting.:ws:

Grasshopper
06-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Glad you finally got them. It is worse then generally crappy here, We had almost 3" of rain in one hour yesterday. We are under flood warnings and it's pouring again now. We have had so much rain this month it's unreal. Over 20" this month alone and it's supposed to do this today and tomorrow too. What really sucks is today is the day I'm going to the air show and they are calling for 100% chance of severe thunderstorms.

firemanbill
06-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Just the opposite here... we have had no rain at all for the last three months so I am not complaining too much. My backyard looks like a dry lake bed, cracks and all.:<

On the bright side I haven't had to cut the grass much this summer!:silly:

Grasshopper
06-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I have to mow every four days if I can get it in between thunderstorms. If I don't, it's a foot tall every week.

firemanbill
06-30-2007, 04:26 PM
we just finished up our Men's Church Softball league (we finished first by the way) and did get a single game rained out the entire season.

The Church we play at has men's games Monday and Thursday, Coed games Tuesday and Friday, and an informal youth and rec league on Saturdays. No games were rained out the entire season!

Mr. Baggins
06-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Can't wait to see the videos of the big bipe cruising the VA skies. Good luck Bill

firemanbill
06-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Bill if you are in town next weekend you may get to see her fly. I am doing the final wiring setup on it tonight and hope to maiden her tomorrow afternoon.

rea59
06-30-2007, 11:15 PM
She's looking great Bill. Cant wait to see her fly in the hands of a master pilot. Who you going to use???:Q:Q

firemanbill
06-30-2007, 11:50 PM
She's looking great Bill. Cant wait to see her fly in the hands of a master pilot. Who you going to use???:Q:Q

LMAO!!! I haven't figured that one out yet Ray... Wanna volunteer?!:Q

rea59
06-30-2007, 11:54 PM
LMAO!!! I haven't figured that one out yet Ray... Wanna volunteer?!:Q

LOL!:Q I can guarantee getting her 10 feet off the ground. After that all bets are off.::o You'd probably be better off doing this one yourself.

firemanbill
06-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Oh wait, you can't "Volunteer" anyway... you're in Kentucky... lol

Grasshopper
07-01-2007, 02:44 AM
Ship it to me Bill! I'll fly it. As long as you send a disclaimer with it too. It might not need as big of a box to ship it back to you though. Good luck with the maiden tomorrow.

firemanbill
07-01-2007, 03:04 AM
Ship it to me Bill! I'll fly it. As long as you send a disclaimer with it too. It might not need as big of a box to ship it back to you though. Good luck with the maiden tomorrow.

I thought about that Tom but I just can't find a big enough box... guess I'll just have to do it myself. But I do appreciate the offer...

I'll let you know how it goes ASAP!:ws:

Mr. Baggins
07-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Just don't JetBlue it before I get there. :D

Tinman
07-01-2007, 05:35 PM
I LOVE Wacos!!!

Sorry I just had to get that out there...... :D

firemanbill
07-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Well I got all the wiring done and have done my first engine runs. Unfortunately other commitments have not allowed me to get to the field today. Beautiful weather too so I am bummed...:sad:

Here is what I got on the wattmeter...

with a 18x10 prop, 2x4S 4000 in series for 8S and a 90 amp ESC

1338 Watts @ 47 amps !:<:ws:

Man that thing sings!!! WOW!!! There is a weird bump in power on the way up at half throttle where it hesitates so I am not sure what that is all about. Gotta work that out too before she goes up.

I am curious now to see what I would get with a 10s setup!

Can't wait to get to the field now...

Tinman
07-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Wow that is one big honking motor!

18x10 prop! Thats BIG!! Can't wait to see this thing!

firemanbill
07-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Big is right TM! First time I put power to it I started drooling!:$

The prop seems like a good fit but I could go bigger! Only drawing 47 amps (static) or so will work great for the batts! They probably won't even get warm

pd1
07-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Good luck on the test flight Bill.

firemanbill
07-01-2007, 10:00 PM
thanks PD. I can't wait to get her out but can't do it today. I have a couple days off this week so I am hoping to get it in then.

pd1
07-01-2007, 10:01 PM
It's too nice to rush, wait for it.

firemanbill
07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Oh absolutely! That's why I'm not at the field now... I have an hour or so before I have to head back out and since my field is only about 15 minutes away I could give it a go but I don't want to rush... I have a tendancey to forget stuff so I want to make sure I have nothing else on my mind when I head out!

I'll get it... in time...:ws:

pd1
07-01-2007, 10:33 PM
I like to wait until no one else is around.

No pressure that way.

firemanbill
07-01-2007, 10:43 PM
Yeah... me too!:red::Q

Tinman
07-01-2007, 11:52 PM
I hate spectators when I'm flying a new plane :) If things go good I get a little overconvident..... and then BOOM into a fence or something..

firemanbill
07-02-2007, 02:08 AM
oooh I hate fences! and powerlines... and trees... and buildings... and... and... and... oh wait where was I...

I figured out my power bump issue... set the timing on the ESC to what Jim at Cox recommended and it cleared it right up!:red: I should have done that to start with huh?! lol

Anyway, just need a clear afternoon to head to the field with her now! I have a ballgame tomorrow night so Tuesday is looking good now.

Stay tuned!

Mr. Baggins
07-02-2007, 04:37 AM
Alright Bill! Standing by with much anticipation.

Mr. Baggins
07-04-2007, 05:03 AM
??

firemanbill
07-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Well I was going to go yesterday but life got in the way...

My VW club participates in the Yorktown 4th parade, was getting the bug out of the garage yesterday to clean her up a bit before I headed to the field, backed out of the garage and had no brakes...:< There was a big stain on the floor right underneath the master cylinder. So I spent the rest of the evening getting it back in running order. I would have waited and passed up on the parade this year but I am the Club President so it would have been bad form to not go...;-)

anyway... hoping to get out there this afternoon.

Mr. Baggins
07-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Ok Prez, do your thing. I'm in VOQ at Robins for a couple days. The Mathies suite :D This is the nicest billeting I have ever been in. Golf course, tennis courts and pool right outside my door

Grasshopper
07-07-2007, 04:07 AM
So is tomorrow the big day for the maiden Bill?

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 04:12 AM
Tomorrow morning is indeed finally "The day" I would use the term "day of days" but that one has already been taken by true heroes so I'll just say it is "The day"! Definatley my biggest moment to date in my R/C life. Prior to this it was the Maiden of the Airliner. (remember that one Bill?!:ws:) Everyone in the club, Mostly IC guys, broke out in applause upon landing!

I got the radio set up finally tonight and put a few finishing touches on it. CG worked out perfect on the first try of battery placement! control sufaces travel set up esactly as in the manual

so hopefully all will go well, wish me luck everyone!

Now if I can only remember to breath!:red::Q

Mr. Baggins
07-07-2007, 04:15 AM
WHAT TIME? The wife is freaking on me to clean out the garage and make a pre-move dump run but I may have to break away to see this one fly.

Grasshopper
07-07-2007, 04:15 AM
Breathing is highly over rated.

Best wishes for a great flight. It's going to look beautiful in the air and probably even more beautiful after the first landing. You'll do great.

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Tom.

I will report back as soon as I catch my breath...:silly:

Mr. Baggins
07-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Well?

Tinman
07-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Good luck to you Bill!

rea59
07-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Good Luck Bill...Save that plane for LMACKY

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Well I have only got one thing to say about how thios plane flies...

SWEEEEEEEEEEET!

We got to the field on this awesome day. no wind sunshine aplenty and smiles all around. I got her all set up and ready to go... taxxid her out and all it wanted to do was spin around in circles on the runway??? Huh???

After checking the situation the control horn and collar on the tail whell separated... bummer... after a quick trip to the lhs for a new, and improved setup I taxi out again.

This time she sets up straight on the runway ready to go. I put a little power to her and the tail instantly lifts up, I give her a lot of right rudder (man this thing has some torque!) and she lifts off in about 10 feet or less. I was a bit surprised at how quick it lifted off for such a big bird. Well now she's airborne and flying great. All that it needed was 2 clicks of right into the ailerons and she was flying straight as an arrow. The wind started to pick up a little but it did not affect this one at all.

After a fel circuits around the filed my knees quick knocking together and my hand shake reduced to a light tremor and I was able to start breathing again...:silly: She was fling so well I figured I'd go ahead and throw an aileron roll and a couple of loops in for kicks. No surprises at all. She was very predictable and did exactly what I asked her to.

I shot a couple of approaches and eventually landed it. It just floated down the runway for the longest time... It did not want to land!:ws: I gotta get used to bringing this big 'ol bird in. It went long and off the end of the runway but it was a perfect landing and settled down real nice.

It got a lot of great comments afterwards and I was one hampy camper that's for sure!

The only little mishap was the battery hatch came off in flight but it was a non event. I'll get it secured better next time out...

What a great day!

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 06:34 PM
More pics

Grasshopper
07-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Very nice Bill. Glad to hear it went well. She sure is a pretty one!

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 06:40 PM
post flight pics

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks Tom. I'll have to admit I got a bit discouraged when the tail wheel messed up and almost called it off for the day... I'm glad now that I didn't!

I'll get some video up soon but it won't be the best... My boy did the tape and he is not the best with the camera. There is some good shots in it though so it'll be worth putting together. He tried real hard though but I think he was as nervous as I was.;-)

rea59
07-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Great job Bill. She sure is pretty in the air.

Mr. Baggins
07-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I was there and it was exactly how Bill describes but probably better from my vantage point. I know Bill was a bit busy flying and and all. This appears to be a perfect setup for the bipe. Plenty of power and she looked absolutely stunning in every stage of the flight. Might have to give those Maxamps bats a try myself because they came down barely luke warm and Bill didn't hold the horses back at all on the flight. He did an excellent job from start to finish on this maiden.

Congratulations buddy...my turn :D

Tinman
07-07-2007, 07:36 PM
WOW thats great Bill. Job well done! The pics look great. I can't believe how big that plane is!! I bet that thing really turns the heads at your field.

:D

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Well thanks Ray, and Bill!

Now I'm blushing!:red::Q It sure was fun and I'm glad you were able to be there and see it!

Thanks for snapping the pics!:ws:

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 07:39 PM
WOW thats great Bill. Job well done! The pics look great. I can't believe how big that plane is!! I bet that thing really turns the heads at your field.

:D

Thanks Brian... Yeah, it sure did gather the attention today!:ws:

Mr. Baggins
07-07-2007, 07:41 PM
One other note on the flight. This thing is almost eerily quiet. I know it's electric but I thought that big 18x10 prop would make a little bit more noise
than that. Not a problem for sure but really strange seeing 1300 plus watts yanking this thing around at just over a whisper sound level.

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
yeah that was cool huh?!:silly:

Mr. Baggins
07-07-2007, 07:47 PM
The whole dang thang was kewl :D

vax6335
07-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Put a pilot in it!

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah I'm going to... Maybe a Snoopy! I've got one to but he isn't big enough.

I'll get something rigged up next time out.

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Just charged up the batts Bill and suprsingly they were not that low. Considering I had the first run (before you got there when the tailwheel broke) where I ran it for a good minute or two trying to figure out why it was doing donuts... Then the flight, I forgot the check my watch when I landed so the stopwatch kept running but I would say at least 5 minutes in the air... I'm guessing about 7 minutes total run time today and I still had 3.8 across all the cells.

I should be able to get a 10 minute flight easy... with plenty of time to spare.

Mr. Baggins
07-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I am sure if flown conservatively it'll do 10 mins easy. I almost dropped in on ya coming back from the dump just now. That's the most jazzed I've been about a new plane in a while. Very kewl and Cox did a great job on the airframe for sure. Sans the tail wheel issue of course.

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 09:28 PM
conservatively??? What does that mean??? LOL:Q

Mr. Baggins
07-07-2007, 09:34 PM
I hear ya torque rolling airliner man :D

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I hear ya torque rolling airliner man :D

I still gotta get me another one of those...:roll:

Tinman
07-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Bill, what is the size of the Waco comaared to the Super Airliner?

firemanbill
07-07-2007, 10:26 PM
MUCH BIGGER!!!

Total weight of my airliner was about 2.5 pounds... Waco is 14... Wingspan of about 4 1/2 feet compared to 6 for the Waco.

Tinman
07-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Wow thats awesome!

pd1
07-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Way to go Bill, nice job.
Paul

firemanbill
07-08-2007, 12:11 AM
Thanks Paul!:ws:

Mr. Baggins
07-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Where's that video big dawg? :) I am trying to get my MFX ready for tomorrow now.

firemanbill
07-08-2007, 12:35 AM
working on it now Bud...:ws:

firemanbill
07-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Ok here it is... Like I said my son was doing the vid so it's not the best. I'll get more video of it next time out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6peReV7c7M

Tinman
07-08-2007, 03:53 AM
Great video Bill! Your son did good! I like the commentary.

"He said he's still a little nervous "

Well done!

brnyrbbl
07-08-2007, 04:03 AM
That was a great maiden Bill! Your son did a fine job on the camera. Better than some adults I've seen. Congradulations!

firemanbill
07-08-2007, 04:09 AM
Thanks a lot guys! He will aprreciate hearing that.:ws:

Mr. Baggins
07-08-2007, 04:30 AM
I kinda like the commentary. Looking forward to seeing it again tomorrow.

firemanbill
07-08-2007, 04:33 AM
Yeah he likes to talk to himself while he's recording... lol

What time are you going out tomorrow Bill?

Tinman
07-08-2007, 12:56 PM
We all like to talk to ourselves when we record. I know I do! :)

I wish I lived by your club. Seems like you guys are having a blast!!

I got to get off my keester and join the local AMA club here. Need to convert them gas boys to the dark side. :)

Mr. Baggins
07-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Probably about the time the big bipe flies. When might that be? Just give me a holler.

rea59
07-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Tell your son for me he did a great job on the video.:ws: Maybe I'll have to hire him to do the Corsair maiden.....then again by the time I get that done he'll have a real job.:Q

rea59
07-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I got to get off my keester and join the local AMA club here. Need to convert them gas boys to the dark side. :)

LOL:Q

Electricity is used for light bulbs to create light. So, shouldn't it be "convert them gas boy's from the darkside"??

Tinman
07-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah I guess your right :D It's the other way around! I like that!

firemanbill
07-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Probably about the time the big bipe flies. When might that be? Just give me a holler.

probably not til this afternoon sometime. I'll give you a call.

Yeah Brian, join a club. It is a hoot to hang out with like minded fellas, even if it is IC guys... we all share the same passion. Our club hasa pretty good mix. I think more and more the us lekkies are catching up.

By the way, did you notice what was on the back of my tshirt?;-)

Mr. Baggins
07-08-2007, 03:07 PM
I contacted Vammy a while back to get me one of them shirts but never heard back from him. Also tried to get a shirt from Hodges and the GAMA club but they didn't have them at all or not in fat retired guy sizes. I guess nobody wants me advertising for them with all my inflammatory posts and what-not :D

Tinman
07-08-2007, 04:40 PM
probably not til this afternoon sometime. I'll give you a call.

Yeah Brian, join a club. It is a hoot to hang out with like minded fellas, even if it is IC guys... we all share the same passion. Our club hasa pretty good mix. I think more and more the us lekkies are catching up.

By the way, did you notice what was on the back of my tshirt?;-)

Haha Ghostbusters? I can;t read the print,,,,

No something?

firemanbill
07-08-2007, 05:26 PM
No Slimers! :Q:Q:Q

Tinman
07-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Thats what I thought it was! :D

firemanbill
07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
flight #2 today went very well. A bit stiffer wind today, about 12 knots when I took off, and the only surprise was that it took off with even less runway! She had to crab a bit coming across the field as the wind was out of the south and our runway goes east/west... but she flew great.

I even managed to land on the runway today!:silly: with only 1 hop!

firemanbill
07-08-2007, 10:39 PM
New video from today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgyJjK4VhMc

Tinman
07-08-2007, 11:49 PM
Nice video, that sucker really climbs on take off! I noticed you got a pilot in there now?

Looks like the real thing, especially on final!

firemanbill
07-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Nice video, that sucker really climbs on take off! I noticed you got a pilot in there now?

Looks like the real thing, especially on final!

Sort of... It was my camera... a little onboard video. I flew too long to get the landing. Camera cut off at 5 1/2 minutes... bummer. I'll get it later though:ws:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4Lq-5wz6Y

Tinman
07-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Oh that was a camera? hah thats great, good video!

flightstick
07-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Guys,

This is my Waco , originally from PICA. I believe now that COX are developing these kits. I am desperately trying to find a new cowl. Does anyone know who I can contact, email address or website..:confused:

pd1
07-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Guys,

This is my Waco , originally from PICA. I believe now that COX are developing these kits. I am desperately trying to find a new cowl. Does anyone know who I can contact, email address or website..:confused:
Here's a link to the most knowledgeable guys I know on this subject.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4058627/tm.htm