PDA

View Full Version : charging wall type to delta peak

Rhondas
10-25-2005, 06:04 AM
I have the Mrc 595 charger, it does it all and when I let it do a self test check and then it charges a 4 cell pack 750 mah nimh rayovac type it stops after about 20 minutes and I get the full voltage thats 4x1.45vlts=5.8vlts, then for the fun of it ,:D I put it or the same four cells in my rayovac wall charger and it continues to charge the 4 cells for about 4 hours before it stops, why is this happening, should it have stopped within about 5 minutes because my delta peak charger just finished charging the same 4 cells?:confused:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/buttons/reputation.gif (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2028#) http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/misc/paperclip.gif (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/profile.php?do=editattachments&u=1268&showthumbs=1)

Matt Kirsch
10-25-2005, 01:17 PM
What charge rate are you using on the MRC charger? It is probably false peaking if it's cutting out in 20 minutes, leaving the batteries with a high voltage, but not fully charged. NiMH and NiCd cells are tricky like that; you can't tell much about their state of charge just by measuring voltage, especially if they're "hot" off the charger.

Now, about this wall charger... Is it also a peak detect charger, or is it a fixed-cycle charger? I've got an Energizer wall charger for AA NiMH, and it's got a 16 hour cycle. You put the cells in, and they charger for 16 hours whether they need it or not. Maybe yours works like that too, or it's just simply that the cells didn't get completely charged by the MRC?

You should charge NiMH cells at a 1C charge rate, meaning the charge rate should equal the capacity of the cells in mAh. For example, charge 750mAh cells at 750mA, or .75 Amps, or as close as you can get without going over. The charge should take approximately an hour.

jb48
10-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I bought a Slo-V a few weeks ago and the instruction manual specifies to charge the 6 cell pack 650mAh (7.4 volts) NiMh at 800mAh. Can it be an error in the manual? I charged the pack many times at 800mAh without detectable trouble or excess heating. I don`t understand that!

Rhondas
10-26-2005, 04:50 AM
What charge rate are you using on the MRC charger? It is probably false peaking if it's cutting out in 20 minutes, leaving the batteries with a high voltage, but not fully charged. NiMH and NiCd cells are tricky like that; you can't tell much about their state of charge just by measuring voltage, especially if they're "hot" off the charger.

Now, about this wall charger... Is it also a peak detect charger, or is it a fixed-cycle charger? I've got an Energizer wall charger for AA NiMH, and it's got a 16 hour cycle. You put the cells in, and they charger for 16 hours whether they need it or not. Maybe yours works like that too, or it's just simply that the cells didn't get completely charged by the MRC?

You should charge NiMH cells at a 1C charge rate, meaning the charge rate should equal the capacity of the cells in mAh. For example, charge 750mAh cells at 750mA, or .75 Amps, or as close as you can get without going over. The charge should take approximately an hour.

charger settings need help?

I want to charge a 6 cell NIMH 750MAH AAA pack,[what should I set this charger below at in voltage and MV threshold settings]?

This is the MRC Super Brain 959 AC/DC Delta Peak

Charger with LCD Display
FEATURES: Charges a wide range of batteries from 1-8 cells plus a setting for a single cell "Glow Driver" battery.
Will peak charge both NiCd and NiMH batteries.
AC/DC Delta Peak with MicroPeak Technology.
Powered by the latest ASIC technology with a 12-bit A/D converter
and a DSP algorithm,the RB959 detects delta peak more accurately
and avoids false peaks.
Unique Smooth Power Flex Control (SPFC) charges batteries smoothly
and efficiently.
Monitors and Displays voltage, current, charging time, delta peak
voltage, threshold, and battery status.
Adjustable current rate.
Plug 'n Play or advanced programming operation features.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP) filters out noise and provides
greater measurement accuracy.
Compact size to fit into a field box.
Purple Composite outer case with Vent slots cut into it.

REQUIRES: 12V battery, if you using DC
SPECS: Length: 128mm (5.03")
Width: 92mm (3.60")
Height: 72mm (2.84")

COMMENTS: Never leave the charger unattended when in use.
Seven Charge Current Rates: 0.5A, 1.0A, 1.5A, 3.0A, 3.5A, 4.0A, 4.5A
Six Delta Peak Voltage Thresholds: 5mV, 10mV, 20mV, 30mV, 40mV, 50mV.

Rhondas
10-26-2005, 04:53 AM
Hi Matt heres te specds\\charger settings need help?

I want to charge a 6 cell NIMH 750MAH AAA pack,[what should I set this charger below at in voltage and MV threshold settings]?

This is the MRC Super Brain 959 AC/DC Delta Peak

Charger with LCD Display
FEATURES: Charges a wide range of batteries from 1-8 cells plus a setting for a single cell "Glow Driver" battery.
Will peak charge both NiCd and NiMH batteries.
AC/DC Delta Peak with MicroPeak Technology.