PDA

View Full Version : people don't think!

Chad
06-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Not really a crash, but I wasn't sure where to post it... if someone could redirect this to the appropriate Topic that would be nice :Q

Well, Today I went out to fly both of my strykers. The wind was a slightly strong, nothing I can't handle, but I was on a small oval.
I throw up the Stryker B and do a few circles, and land to check the trims etc. A family that was at the otherside of the oval moved closer to the middle of the oval, there were a few small kids kicking small plastic balls and waddleing around. I wanted to land my Stryker B because it couldn't cope with the wind, as I was comeing on for a landing with the wind (I couldn't land against it) I was probably 40-50 metres up when a kid walks through my flight path, I pull up while drastically loseing space to land do a sharp turn around my head then completly lost control of it. It flew past my head and into a tree branch breaking into a few pieces. The family was watching me pick up my stryker, walk over to the car, and bring out my other stryker. You'd think they would move after something like that, but no, they stay still and spread out a bit more. I flew my STryker C nice and high doing circles at no where near full throttle, the wind picked up so I burst out the throttle and scream past the family. You would THINK they would move after this, but they don't.
I was getting quite nervous with the wind picking up, so I decide to land, I only had half the oval free. I try comeing in from far away and come in nice and flat, but with too much speed, I do this several times. I said to myself "oh well, better have it in pieces then hit a little kid then get blamed for it"... I come in fairly fast, pull back very very slightly, the nose comes up vertically then before I know it a piece of the nose came off.
If the family HAD a brain I wouldn't have had to buy some glue!
anyone have similar situations with families leading to a broken plane?

skiman762
06-03-2007, 04:34 PM
You must have left out some key facts because it sounds like your flying area became unsafe you crash blame the family and you deliberately flew a second airplane ?
Am I missing something ????

Will Hicks
06-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Troll

fr4nk1yn
06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
I agree. The 2nd Stryker should'nt have gone up.

There's a park close to me where I would practice AP with my SlowStick.
I once had a guy sitting in his car watching me fly. I look around, no cars coming into the parking lot and bring her down, about 20 feet the guy watching the plane the whole time pulls out in front of it.
I pulled up and ended stuck in a tree.

ORD2FRA
06-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Fly at an AMA field.

End of problem/discussion.

(You need to be able to create & MAINTAIN a flight line. Keep it up and you'll end up in the papers. Not saying the family was right, but unfortunately public opinion seems to side with the clueless. That puts you in the crosshairs since you were "deliberately" flying near them. I think I would have talked to one of the adults before getting out the second Stryker. If they balk, then that's not the kind of people you want to be flying a fairly quick airplane).

EpoweredRc
06-03-2007, 05:31 PM
You should NOT be flying where people are at, You should go fly when NO one else is there, weekends you can expect people to be there. NOn RC flyers Don't understand how dangerous rv planes can be, they think of them as Toys, and think well it aint no big deal, they dont know a plane going 50mph that hits there 10 yr old in the leg could break it during a landing or such things.

if you was there first and they showed up you should of walked over (while flying if you could) and said do you mind moving back and letting me land my plane I wouldnt want you to get injured while im landing, I am sure they would have done so then you could have landed and went home...

Laggard
06-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Wow. He forced to land hard, a family moves into his flying space and he still hauls out another plane. I've heard it all now.

Unless it's a designated flying space, you're flying in no way closes the field for the entire world to use.

Murocflyer
06-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Unfortunately, it is us, modelers, that have to err on the side of safety and not fly when others are present. I know it blows, but that's our responsibility.

Maybe not a troll, just uniformed.

Frank

constantCrash
06-04-2007, 12:40 AM
As far as the rest of the world is concerned, we are second class citizens who can be walked all over for no reason. And we have to accept it because we are seen as "dangerous".

I'm lucky in that the park i fly at is fairly big and i can go to another end if people are playing a game, but I will not fly if anybody is within 400' of me and if people do show up, I land and go home. It's better to land and live to fly another day than it is to crash (into sombody) and have your park taken away. All that needs to happen is for some whinny person to complain about the "Dangerous out of control" airplanes that are making them scared to use "their" park.

smokejohnson
06-04-2007, 12:41 AM
I have a great baseball field size area right out my front door and have the same problem. People just don't know anything about what you are doing.

My problem would be kids wanting to chase it. I tried to talk to them about it and explained they had to stay behind me but you know how kids are.

I just fly early morning's here at the house and go some where else after work.

Rabbitcreekok
06-04-2007, 12:42 AM
The thread title applies to Ole Chad.

When we fly in public places, they are public places and the public is just as entitled to be there as we are. Since fliers are the ones that can cause physical damage to the public, the fliers are the ones who should stop their activity. We are not likely to be hurt by waddlers kicking aroung plastic balls.

This story is almost like a made up incident, to unbelievable to be true. But I guess it is.

smokejohnson
06-04-2007, 12:49 AM
On a funnier side note just to prove how little people know about what's going on when we're flying.

More than once somebody has come up to tell me how good I am. That just proves that they're clueless.:Q

Saucerguy2
06-05-2007, 04:46 AM
I know it's tempting to fly in a park that has people occupying it. We rc pilots have just as much of a right to it as anybody else, I just hate it when I'm having to just sit and wait for people to clear the field.

As others have stated, people really are clueless about the nature of these planes, they honestly aren't aware of the danger, nor expense involved. I hate it when I'm flying along and a family decides to run out to the middle of the field, heck I even had local rc heli pilots opt to walk out to the middle of the field I was flying at and they should know better and one of the servo's failed, causing the plane to nose dive into the ground right next to one of them, you just never know what can go wrong with these.

Have had the kid's chasing the plane gig as well. If I see someone using the field and they are doing some sporting activity, on occassion I have asked them how long they were going to be there and decide if I want to stick around or go to another field. When I was learning, I have bailed out rather then let the plane get close enough to anybody, luckily I'm in control of it now so don't have to take that route, but I figure I can fix the plane, it would be much harder to fix the person it ran into and I don't want that liability.

There is one exception to the rule, I have a radio shack dragonfly ornithopter, it's impossible to hurt anybody with it since there are no props, the nose is just a chunk of foam and most of all, it goes so slowly, there really is no noticable interta at all.

Chad
06-05-2007, 09:11 AM
well... I wasn't thinking of the 'other side' to this... I just wanted to fly both planes and get home because I don't have this chance to fly on weekdays. My dad recently injured himself at work, so he had the week off and this was the time where I could get as much flying in as possible. The only time I would realy get to fly before my dad had the accident was around 4-5 pm on a saturday afternoon. I guess I need to learn some common sense. I couldn't just wait around because it is winter 'down under' and it is very dark at around 5:30 pm.
I'm not a shy person... but I just don't like interupting people
when I said... screamed past the family I didn't literally mean... fly at full speed with only 1 metre of altitude.
after seeing a few threads about people 'loseing' their park because of not so smart individuals, next time I know I'll have to talk to the people that are in my 'landing strip'.

sorry for not thinking twice :red:

UncleBob
06-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Eh, Strykers are easy to land, in a pinch I've flown mine into myself (back to the wind) and neither of us got hurt in the least. Of course that was to save my car, not a waddler. My space is pretty much a ghost town when I fly so that's lucky I guess.

Saucerguy2
06-05-2007, 01:50 PM
He obviously is young, so everybody needs to give the kid a break and ease up on how the comments are worded, he's sharing with us with the fact, he's here to learn.

Sounds like it's going to take some time to get good at flying to be in full control of the stryker to the level UB is at, no biggie.

Tell Dad you want more flight time so you are no longer ridiculed by your Watt Flyer peers, hehe. :) Get him a harbor freight yellow bee or aeroace or something to keep him involved if he needs to be, quality time between both of you like this will never come again.

Glad you are here and enjoy this hobby Chad, you are in good company, Brian

Grasshopper
06-05-2007, 02:17 PM
He obviously is young, so everybody needs to give the kid a break and ease up on how the comments are worded, he's sharing with us with the fact, he's here to learn.

Sounds like it's going to take some time to get good at flying to be in full control of the stryker to the level UB is at, no biggie.

Tell Dad you want more flight time so you are no longer ridiculed by your Watt Flyer peers, hehe. :) Get him a harbor freight yellow bee or aeroace or something to keep him involved if he needs to be, quality time between both of you like this will never come again.

Glad you are here and enjoy this hobby Chad, you are in good company, Brian

Nice post Saucerguy

Gnascher
06-05-2007, 02:29 PM
One thing that bothers me about some of the posts in this thread is some of the sense of entitlement to using the field some of you are showing. Talking about being put out when people show up and you're "forced to land"...

The fact is that when we're in the air, we "consume" a much larger percentage of a public field than other people who show up to use it. The fact is that we don't have a right to essentially shut down a park for our flying pleasure. If other people show up, and you can't maintain a safe flight zone ... you land, pack up and go home. Simple, end of story.

If you want to fly your plane in public spaces, you MUST give right of way to other people who show up ... even if you got there first. Fly early, fly late or find a field that gets less utilization by the general public.

wilmracer
06-05-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm lucky that the park I am flying at is extremely large. There are two adjacent softball feilds on one end, a soccer feild on the other, and a large mostly un-cared for field in the middle that is roughly the size of two football fields.

The large field that is mostly weeds and only cut down once or twice a month is the only reason I can fly here, as I can stay far away from any activities going on at the other fields. I definately understand the frustration though. In our area if the sun is up and the weather is good enough for flying you can't find an open feild that doesn't have a soccer game on it.

Unfortunately not all of us have an AMA field close by.

Saucerguy2
06-05-2007, 10:56 PM
One thing that bothers me about some of the posts in this thread is some of the sense of entitlement to using the field some of you are showing. Talking about being put out when people show up and you're "forced to land"...

The fact is that when we're in the air, we "consume" a much larger percentage of a public field than other people who show up to use it. The fact is that we don't have a right to essentially shut down a park for our flying pleasure. If other people show up, and you can't maintain a safe flight zone ... you land, pack up and go home. Simple, end of story.

If you want to fly your plane in public spaces, you MUST give right of way to other people who show up ... even if you got there first. Fly early, fly late or find a field that gets less utilization by the general public.

I agree, but on the opposite side of that coin, we are only using it for 10-15 minutes at a time. My beef is when I'm already up in the air, nobody is on the field, and people show up and run right out in the middle of it. I always land immediately and wait for them to clear the field before taking it back up. The beef is not necessarily sharing it, it's the fact they can't give you 5 minutes to complete the flight and they carelessly think it's perfectly acceptable to have an RC plane flying over their heads, of which it clearly is not.

Gnascher
06-06-2007, 12:47 AM
The beef is not necessarily sharing it, it's the fact they can't give you 5 minutes to complete the flight and they carelessly think it's perfectly acceptable to have an RC plane flying over their heads, of which it clearly is not.

Unfortunately they are not to blame for this. You can not blame someone not involved in RC to know the dangers involved with standing within your flight line.

You are the expert ... you are the one at the controls. If the safety of your flying field is compromised in any way, it's your responsibility to get your bird down safely and let other people use the field when flying in public.

If it happens to you to often ... change the hours/days you fly, or go find yourself another field to fly in. I have to change my fields seasonally and by the hour of the day. In the colder months, I have my pick of virtually any park I want. As the weather gets nicer and sports teams start playing, and people start wanting to walk in the park ... my choice of flying fields begins to dwindle.

Lately I've been flying on weekends out of a commuter lot that is basically abandoned on the weekend. My other option is to put my floats on my plane and go hit a lake.

The fact of the matter is ... people who want to use a public space for safe and peaceful activities trump your wish to fly your bird 100% of the time.

fr4nk1yn
06-06-2007, 01:09 AM
You can not blame someone not involved in RC to know the dangers involved...Some people involved don't know the dangers. There's a guy that flys a nitro plane )': at the same field as me. He starts the engine and carries it in a very awkward way I can't really describe. I can say if he does as much as stumble he'll eviscerate himself.

We all have to learn in our own way. I learned when I was doing AP on my street and had a fly away. I tried to punch it into a BIG tree about 1/4 mile away when I realized I was not getting it back. I missed the tree and shattered the plane in a really nice womans front yard.

Being new and excited we don't always think of the consequences.

Saucerguy2
06-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Indeed, I always land when I get interrupted and play the wait game for it to clear out again, in actualitly, people do enjoy seeing me fly, especially the kids, so not all bad here.

One argument I have heard from a similar thread was in reference to a baseball flying at 100+ mph is not necessarily safe as well, so there are other sides of the coin on this one.

I too switch fields depending upon the time of year, the one I normally go to, it's pretty rare I see anybody there, but it is cool to have spectators, which is why I still go to other fields as well.

Gnascher
06-06-2007, 01:35 AM
... it is cool to have spectators, which is why I still go to other fields as well.

Agreed. I also understand your frustration when 'clueless' people wander in.

The baseball analogy is slightly flawed, however. Since baseball is typically played on a designated field, where anybody in the area should have a reasonable expectation of associated danger.

When flying an electric plane ... 'lay people' have no understanding of the danger, and may not even be aware you're flying since electrics are so quiet.

All I'm saying is that you are the one responsible for public safety when flying, and that you should unbegrudgingly pack it in when you no longer are able to control the safety of the situation.

Saucerguy2
06-06-2007, 02:41 AM
You are preaching to the quire at this point, so the thread is kind of just wandering in circles. This is one of the reasons I don't have a real need to join AMA, I'm very responsable of a pilot and use common sense at all times.

Taking it further, safety is key and the moment you put yourself into a potentially bad situation, be it fingers in the way of a prop to incorrect battery charging, much less poor flying conditions, eventually something is going to catch up to you by the law of averages. I follow specific procedures to minimize, and/or eliminate that risk myself, and with the former, I use power tools all day long and have seen alot of these guys not paying enough attention, only to be rushing them to the emergency room in the past.

Fangar
06-06-2007, 04:20 AM
Don't know what the problem is. You guys are all scaredy cats...
:<
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4QSSQKdjC70

P.S. I can't believe the struck pilot didn't suicide bomb the other guy. Totally would have been worth it. ;-)

1. People in the park = no fly.
2. Makes me mad when people run into my flight zone once I am up too. Like others have said though... when they do, as much as it sucks, it is time to go elsewhere.
3. Chad, Good job on taking the criticism posted here well. Keep that frame of open mind and you will do well.

Be safe.

Fangar

Saucerguy2
06-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Don't know what the problem is. You guys are all scaredy cats...
:<
4QSSQKdjC70

P.S. I can't believe the struck pilot didn't suicide bomb the other guy. Totally would have been worth it. ;-)

1. People in the park = no fly.
2. Makes me mad when people run into my flight zone once I am up too. Like others have said though... when they do, as much as it sucks, it is time to go elsewhere.
3. Chad, Good job on taking the criticism posted here well. Keep that frame of open mind and you will do well.

Be safe.

Fangar

I like you man, you are real buddy.

Cant imagine how someone can dumb thumb such an easy plane of that caliber, but it does make god vid. hehe :)

UncleBob
06-06-2007, 02:34 PM
.... the safety of the situation.

This is an interesting statement. I don't apply a strict "anyone shows up and I land" policy and I feel pretty good about it. For instance on several occasions people have wandered up and started asking questions about the plane, where I got it, how much, so forth. I felt OK about that situation. Another time a woman trotted across the field I was flying over. I just moved the plane out away from that region and she was gone well before I could have landed.

It's a matter of using your human judgement.

Gnascher
06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
This is an interesting statement. I don't apply a strict "anyone shows up and I land" policy and I feel pretty good about it. For instance on several occasions people have wandered up and started asking questions about the plane, where I got it, how much, so forth. I felt OK about that situation. Another time a woman trotted across the field I was flying over. I just moved the plane out away from that region and she was gone well before I could have landed.

It's a matter of using your human judgement.

You are correct, and that is the problem of absolutes. Obviously 1 or 2 people isn't an issue as long as you are confident that they won't be in or remain in a danger zone. But then ... you're still in control of the safety situation.

The occasional walker or gawker is fine in my opinion. However, if a few people show up and start playing frisbee or kicking a soccer ball around ... time to go. How many constitutes "a few" depends on the size of the field, what you're flying, etc. Again ... judgement call. The point I'm getting at is if you can't maintain a clear safe flying area within your ability to control the aircraft ... you gotta pack it in.

MikeMc
06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
I always love these topics. Please never stop them.

Guy 1. I buzzed the little kids and family to scare them away. They didn't run. Are they dumb? They made me crash so I got out another plane and tried to scare them away again.

Guy 2. Join the AMA idiot. I don't care if your plane is small enough to fly in your pocket you HAVE to join the AMA. It's the law.

etc, etc, etc...

Thank you.

USAPatriot
06-07-2007, 09:00 AM
As far as the rest of the world is concerned, we are second class citizens who can be walked all over for no reason. And we have to accept it because we are seen as "dangerous".

I'm lucky in that the park i fly at is fairly big and i can go to another end if people are playing a game, but I will not fly if anybody is within 400' of me and if people do show up, I land and go home. It's better to land and live to fly another day than it is to crash (into sombody) and have your park taken away. All that needs to happen is for some whinny person to complain about the "Dangerous out of control" airplanes that are making them scared to use "their" park.

If you go to a rifle range there's generally a rangemaster to keep track of things and people. But at some sites it's a self enforcing thing and generally it works very well that way. But there have been occasions where the clueless show up and will walk downrange while people are shooting! Yes, they are at fault, no doubt about it. But a responsible (and sane) shooter unloads his weapon and puts it down. I've had this happen to me...you wait...and sometimes you get your revenge later. It's the one with the weapon (or the plane) that has the responsibility to stop, even if it is some ignorant fool's fault for putting himself in harms way. -Rod-

constantCrash
06-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure if you were trying to argue or agree with me. It seems we've said the same thing. If people show up to use the park, their use of the park trumps ours. I just added that you have to be extra careful because even if you acting in a completely safe manor, it only takes one whinny person to cause a stir and ban you from the park.

If you go to a rifle range there's generally a rangemaster to keep track of things and people. But at some sites it's a self enforcing thing and generally it works very well that way. But there have been occasions where the clueless show up and will walk downrange while people are shooting! Yes, they are at fault, no doubt about it. But a responsible (and sane) shooter unloads his weapon and puts it down. I've had this happen to me...you wait...and sometimes you get your revenge later. It's the one with the weapon (or the plane) that has the responsibility to stop, even if it is some ignorant fool's fault for putting himself in harms way. -Rod-

MikeMc
06-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Exactly. Another extreme example is if somebody J-walks in front of your car you don't just run them down and keep going because they were the ones at fault.

aircruiser
08-19-2007, 12:23 AM
sorry to bring this back up but i havent been here really since this got started.

i drive around until i can find a field thats clear.

1st story. never fly at a field where there are 20 kids with 2 parents that either dont know how to handle them all or speak english.

i drove to a field and a guy around 60 was flying his super cub and there were about 20 little mexican kids running around chasing the airplane which was about 100ft up. the parents were sitting in their minivan reading a book or something. so the guy goes to land his plane and all the kids chase it down and he lands in the field. all the little kids go over and one picks it up and another kid grabs the tail of the plane and starts tugging on it. all of a sudden all the kids are having a huge tug-o-war with it. i assumed the kids didnt speak english and the parents where the only way to call off the kids and save the guys plane so i was still in my car and honked the horn and the parents looked up and i pointed to the pile of kids. one jumped out and said something in spanish and they all came running. the guy waved at me and thanked me. for whatever reason the parents yelled something in spanish at me and started pointing at me and they looked pissed.

i just shrugged my shoulders as if i was supposed to be able to speak spanish or something and i turned around and drove to a different field.

2nd story. people just arent as nice as they once were. i was flying my cub at a field where we were a good 300ft from the nearest people which was a group of 4 overweight people (around 400lbs each..no joke) playing frisbee. i was flying about 100ft when i lost all power for my cub and it started spiraling downward. it was about 80ft from the peopleand spiraling in a slow dive. i screamed "LOOK OUT!" over and over and so did my friend and one of the ladies watched it come at her and she couldnt run that fast so she just watched it and tried to run. it landed about 100ft away and i ran to my plane and apologized to all the people and explained the situation. the guy that was there just stared at me and said watch where youre flying kid, you couldve killed my wife." i sort of chuckled thinking he was joking..he wasnt. his wife was the one that watched the plane fall and was about 40ft from where she was before the plane started coming down and was out of breath resting on her sisters shoulder. i just walked away.

its just crazy sometimes how people can act.

Fangar
08-19-2007, 12:44 AM
300' (100 yards) is not enough distance for most. Sounds like you were a little too close to begin with. Especially with the radio system that comes with the SuperCub. My neighbor has been learning to fly on one as of late and it tends to have RX issues on a regular basis. Not sure I like the 27 mhz for a plane, but outside of that it is a nice little flyer.

Glad no one was hurt.

Cheers,

Fangar

fr4nk1yn
08-19-2007, 02:09 AM
Well... This kinda reminds me of something... /:

My normal field is a pretty good size. I can fly in a third of it or even stay to the side over the trees that run the length of it on two sides.
Theres been a lot of people hitting golf balls around all of a sudden.
When there's a lot at one time I don't fly. If there in the middle I don't fly.
If I can stay to one side away from them and have enough room to land if in an "emergency" I will fly and just stay higher than normal.

On two separate occasions I've had balls landing very near me.

The 2nd time the golfers are at the far end of the field, I've counted 300 paces from where I normally park my 4 month old car to the center. I parked under the trees to the side in case of a slice and after awhile I'm hearing balls landing "near" me and through the trees where my car is. I turned to see one firing right at me. I have to admit I altered my flight plan some.

I didn't quite buzz them. I circled over head a couple of times at about 200 feet before returning to where I had been flying.

These were two older guys with no respect for me being there and was going to make me leave. At least that's how I took it.

aircruiser
08-19-2007, 03:53 AM
had a similar thing

i was at a field i normally fly at and i wasflying my super cub and had about 7 7 cells through it and landed. a guy with a brushless plane showed up and i flew up with him for one pack and landed. so i was watching the dude that showed up fly his plane which was awesome to see..he was at atleast 1,000ft. all of a sudden a golf ball lands on the infield (flying at a baseball field) and bounced and hit the backstop. i looked over and a good 200ft from us was a golfer hitting golf balls right towards us. he could aim anywhere else..this place is huge and he is aiming right at us.

then two more golf balls landed near but not close enough to worry about and he came and picked them all up. he then walked over to the guy flying his plane and started politely asking questions about the guys plane. it was weird because a minute ago he almost hit us with a golf ball..

Major Danger
08-25-2007, 11:17 PM
a minute ago he almost hit us with a golf ball..
And naturally nobody said dick to the moron with the golfball problem?

I was flying at my regular spot last weekend with my superfly. This area has become increasingly popular with other flyers due to the 1 acre paved area the cops use for driving practice. I was flying the huge grassed area (about 10 acers) on the other side of the narrow road. There's no conflict of interest bewteen me and the fella's flying with landing gear.

This day there was a few more people than I care to have around me whe I fly. 6 Cars parked their after I took my first break. I go back to flying and I had the entire grass feild to myself. I'm breaking high and comming in fast an low. Completely wild stick flying with the superfly. You never know where I'm going to put this plane in the next 5 seconds.

I'm concetrating on the plane having a good time when I decide to see if I could burn some worms on a low pass. When I came down I had to dart right back up because there's 3 senior citizens tossing free flights 30 feet in front of me. Now lets talk about being pissed off at stupid(s).

Why the hell did they decide to walk in front of me knowing full well I'm flyling there not to mention they could observe that I'm flyling wild stick? I did the only think I could do to land it and get out before someone got hurt. I killed the motor and pulled back on the stick and floated her down pancake style as close to me as I could get it.

I could have been double stupid and slapped another pack in the plane and barnyard buzzed these fellows to get my point across. I wanted to anyways. I made my point by picking up my plane and cussing outloud about rude people walking infront of a flying plane.........and something to the effect of "why don't they go play on the runway at the airport blah blah etc etc.

I just cussed and whined all the way to my truck and drove off. Yes I drove angry too.

But I DID NOT GO BACK UP!

That was you're error Mr. Chad.

Yes what that family did was totally rude not to mention irresponcible. You could have gone up to them polite like and intriduced yourself then explained the situation to them.

"LOOK, NO DOUBT YOU FOLKS SAW ME FLYING THE PLANE HERE, BUT FOR SOME REASON BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION YOU DECIDED TO MOVE IN WAY TO CLOSE. TOTALLY DANGEROUS FOR YOU AND THE KIDS.
NOW GET THE f#$^ OFF MY FEILD YOU FAT MOO-COW FAMILY BEFORE I FLY THIS PLANE UP YOUR ASS!!"
Have a super day:ws:

p901
08-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Went through all the same problems myself for years, if it wasn`t people or kids or ball games it was the weather, tough to get all conditions to come together to be able to fly with only the weekends available outside of the work week.
Finally developed a plan of getting up at 4am, packing the gear to go
to the field, fortunately started to be able to get some consistent
flight time and it was kinda nice to be up before anyone else.
I fly electric so I never had a noise problem with the people that lived near the school fields. Every now and then the patrol car would stop in the parking lot and watch me fly at dawn as the sun was coming up. The officer never got out of the car and I think he enjoyed seeing something positive in relation to the type of situations he probably encountered all night long. After a while the early mornings were kinda tough to keep up. Having three school fields in the area it was a round robin during the daylight hours when one field was occupied to drive to another field, many times spent an hour or two just driving between locations to check and see if the kids, dogs, games had moved on, whole great sunny calm flying days gone with no flights.
Finally ended up going to an electric helicopter that I can fly in my yard without anyones permission or interference but now I get crowds of people and kids on their bikes and cars stopping in the street to watch but at least no one can stop me whenever I choose to fly, (plenty of distance from the public). Even had the patrol car in my neighborhood stop to watch ! Don`t mind the spectators at all and everyone so far has been respectful of the property line. Its also nice that after I land some of the spectators come over and ask really great questions so in a small way I`ve become a spokesperson for the sport to people that would not normally be exposed to this great hobby. (Sad but true that we are seen as "nutty" to some folks maybe we can turn this around with time and education).
I had membership at the "local" AMA field, (over an hour away) which was good, tons of helpful and knowledgable people but the driving got to be a bit much whenever I wanted to get in a quick flight. Plus back then electrics were not as technically advanced as they are now and I always took a good bit of ribbing from the glow guys, so a few [negative] apples at the field kinda helped to put a damper on that. Thinking seriously about joining up again though at a new club that has found a home on a great piece of property about 20 minutes away. In light of the fact that electrics have advanced so much since the early days I think the machines will be well received.
So for now its me and the heli in the yard.
P901
(Check out the machine if you want, Hirobo conversion in Standard Heli forum)

Bill G
08-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Hate to sound this way, buy the guy deserved to get hit. It appears that he was standing right on what is the edge of the runway, and was not keeping an eye on a landing plane, that was plently loud enough to be aware of. When there's no pic boxes and flight line, you can't just loiter around like a blind drunk.

Bill