PDA

View Full Version : Live chat

Saucerguy2
06-05-2007, 11:45 PM
I think some of us were getting used to the chat link where it was, I see you changed it's label and position, it shows up more prominently, just some of us that were using it might miss it's there.

A couple of suggestions on that one. I log into it most of the time when I'm visiting the forums and open up a new window for it specifically. The problem is, it stays in the furthest to the back window so I can't see any notification if someone entered and my speakers are typically turned off, ie. I only use headphones, and even those I rarely put on so the notification sounds are very faint, if non existant, many others have the same problem. What I'd like to see is it being a much smaller window and having it automatically staying on the front most window, kind of a pop up window, or at least have it pop up when someone enters the room, I'm using Mozilla so you should put that into the equasion, those still using IE are vulnerable to attack since it's a vastly exploited browser and that's the reason I never use it anymore.

What I do now is just check it out from time to time hoping someone sticks around long enough for us to chat, otherwise, they just log out if I don't immediately say hello after they enter.

In addition, my screen resolution is set to 800 by 600 because my monitor is pretty small and I can't read the text that well along the higher resolution settings. It would be nice if the forums in general tiled as you guys have it set up at RCU, it makes it alot easier to read and navigate being that way.

Grasshopper
06-06-2007, 03:49 AM
You used to be able to see who was in the chat room before you logged in. Is that gone now or am I just missing it?

Saucerguy2
06-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't see the relavence of that unless you are avoiding someone, elaborate upon that if you could.

Grasshopper
06-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Sometimes I just like to see who (if anyone) is in there before logging in. Not avoiding anyone, but I don't want to crash a conversation with members that aren't in the same area of the hobby as me and feel they need to start chatting with me when they are on a subject I know nothing about.

Tinman
06-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Sometimes I just like to see who (if anyone) is in there before logging in. Not avoiding anyone, but I don't want to crash a conversation with members that aren't in the same area of the hobby as me and feel they need to start chatting with me when they are on a subject I know nothing about.

Me to, Im not trying to avoid someone but sometimes I'm looking for a particular person to ask them something, or to help them out.

I know of a few people I have been PMing to heklp them out with their slow sticks.

Saucerguy2
06-06-2007, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't worry about people chatting about something not in your field, nor feel like you are barging in, this is the reason there is only one room for now. The more involvment we get, the more rooms will likely be created by our fearless leader, just for now, it makes sense to just have one to give it the best chance at getting used since nobody wants to hang out in live chat alone.

If you look to another chat system, ie. aol chat, there are many people at the same room, they all manage to interact regardless of the volume, and you can PM through the system for private live conversations should you feel privacy is in order "both places", or you are talking about something else with another member exclusively.

I do think the nature of this being, we aren't necessarily stuck on one particular theme or background, just talking to other members in real time, and chatting about anything and everything, so not necessarily rc stuff.

I'm logged in now, will wait around for a while in case one of you guys opt to respond to the thread and opt to join in. So far, it's looking like we are getting more visitors, still have alot of people pop in and if you don't immediately respond, they log right out.

I'd change the link to say "live chat" rather then flashchat just in case people don't understand what it is, so is more straight forward of a description. Also, I like the fact, I can link to it directly in my signature, if more people did the same, it would raise awareness of it's existance.

ElectricFlyGuy
06-08-2007, 04:24 AM
No, you can't see if anyone is in the chat anymore. That came in handy for me at work since the chat room uses Flash Player 7 and I only have Flash Player 6 here. I used to 'see who was in chat', because if I went into the chat room, someone had to type a message to pop up on my screen. Now if I pop in while at work, I have to wait for someone to enter a message, for me to see anyone in the room. Too bad it wasn't a Real Player system. I just hope they update these dinosaurs here at work. LOL. Anyway, I will pop in from time to time and if I don't answer you, I am at work without FLASH PLAYER 7. I don't even get a window to type messages. I just get a square blue screen.Update> I now have FlashPlayer 9 at work. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! :D

xuzme720
06-08-2007, 04:27 AM
No, you can't see if anyone is in the chat anymore. That came in handy for me at work since the chat room uses Flash Player 7 and I only have Flash Player 6 here. I used to 'see who was in chat', because if I went into the chat room, someone had to type a message to pop up on my screen. Now if I pop in while at work, I have to wait for someone to enter a message, for me to see anyone in the room. Too bad it wasn't a Real Player system. I just hope they update these dinosaurs here at work. LOL. Anyway, I will pop in from time to time and if I don't answer you, I am at work without FLASH PLAYER 7. I don't even get a window to type messages. I just get a square blue screen.

at least it's not "the blue screen of Death!"

ElectricFlyGuy
06-08-2007, 04:38 AM
OH!!!!!!! I hate the blue screen of death LOL!!!!!!!!!!

at least it's not "the blue screen of Death!"

Saucerguy2
06-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Luckily it's so new, a complete different interface and back end is'nt going to destroy it's use at all.

With flash, it's good in one way along streaming data, but bad along another, ie. usually the best scripts are the latest flash player designs, or at least programming versions.

I look to aol as having still the best back end and they require no flash or exotic java consoles to interact with, yet they do have their own proprietary scripting via. only usable by active aol subsribers. I like the universal element with the fact, you don't need to have the latest of anything, even a tired dog of a computer works with it and it streams well on it's own making it a very easy interface to work and interact with.

WF chat can really take off along the same line, it's just going to take more committment and investment in time and capitol to make it take off in huge ways. Meanwhile, I do what I can to help and log into it whenever I log into the forums just to be someone there that's actually there to help get it moving forward.

Saucerguy2
06-12-2007, 11:19 PM
For those that are viewing the chat from work, I found several people cannot actually post to it, only watch the dialog. Now, since most flash based chat rooms are using a Java back end, it may be possible to parse the java using a regular html interface as a secondary option for those in that situation.

Along the chat status, I as well as several other people have logged in and forgot we were still in and left the computer, perhaps we can have a nag screen that shows up every 20 minutes if there is inactivity on our end, asking us if we want to stay logged into chat, then if it's not checked/responded to, automatically either loggs us out, or places us in the away status just so people don't think we are blowing them off or fell asleep.

ElectricFlyGuy
06-14-2007, 11:47 PM
I found a friend with connections!!!!!!! Getting an up-grade here at work soon!! yay! ChatRoom, here I come. :D Scott.

Saucerguy2
06-24-2007, 04:06 PM
It's getting more popular these days, it's cool to talk in real time with other members, really solidifies our comradity. Being able to speak candidly makes a huge difference, I look forward to it expanding once it get's past the fledgling stage.

EFG, you and I have discussed much there, I'm glad you got upgraded at work to be able to interact.

ElectricFlyGuy
06-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Thank-you. I spend 90% of my chat time while here at work. It is nice to be able to join. Just wish the sounds were changeable :D Take care;-)

It's getting more popular these days, it's cool to talk in real time with other members, really solidifies our comradity. Being able to speak candidly makes a huge difference, I look forward to it expanding once it get's past the fledgling stage.

EFG, you and I have discussed much there, I'm glad you got upgraded at work to be able to interact.

Mike Parsons
06-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Announcement****
Who's chatting has now been added to the bottom of the forum main page.

firemanbill
06-28-2007, 01:45 AM
Cool Mike! Nice addition

Saucerguy2
07-02-2007, 08:26 PM
It seems to have completely died, I'd ditch that option, I think it was doing better with people logging in to see if anybody was around out of curiosity. The only other thing that changed is I ditched my signature that had a link to it, but I refuse to believe it was necessary to have in place to attract people to there.

ElectricFlyGuy
07-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Naw, it hasn't died, it is typical in all chat rooms that this only means that the weather is great and alot of folks are hanging around outside. This is also typical of all chatrooms in the summer. Winter time will bring most people indoors and they will hang in the chat room while drinking a hot cocoa as, they are preparing and building their planes for when the weather warms back up. Kinda like migration:Q.Also there are folks still sleepin' when you are in the chat room. It is like a revolving door, some go to bed while others are waking up, 24 hours a day. Also, it could be 'bad timing'. Also, if you have ever used a 'C.B. radio', you notice that your friends were on it all winter long, jamming the channels. When summer came, you would've thought the .C.B. radio was no longer. Hope everyone has great flying days. Scott.;-):tc:

It seems to have completely died, I'd ditch that option, I think it was doing better with people logging in to see if anybody was around out of curiosity. The only other thing that changed is I ditched my signature that had a link to it, but I refuse to believe it was necessary to have in place to attract people to there.

Tinman
07-04-2007, 03:04 AM
I agree Scott. Lots of folks are flying or doing a bunch of building to fly.....

What I need is a lap top so I can take it in the basement and put it on my work bench. Then I would have the best of both worlds. (hang out on WattFlyer AND get some building done) :)

Saucerguy2
07-04-2007, 03:39 AM
I'll take your advice on it, we'll see what happens. I just didn't want it to go away because it's not getting used, it has real merit to part of WF.

firemanbill
07-04-2007, 03:41 AM
I agree Scott. Lots of folks are flying or doing a bunch of building to fly.....

What I need is a lap top so I can take it in the basement and put it on my work bench. Then I would have the best of both worlds. (hang out on WattFlyer AND get some building done) :)

That's what I do Brian. Got me an old beater laptop on my workbench setup on my home network. If it get's trashed somehow then oh well... It won't do much but it will connect to the net... :ws:

ElectricFlyGuy
07-04-2007, 05:17 AM
I agree, there is no sense having a chat room that collects cobwebs, but I have seen people in here every day. I just had a great Conversation with 'Frank' and now I am going to build my foam cutter. I think alot of people will fill the chat room closer to winter. I do enjoy watching, yes watching others come in and ask for advice and luckily there have been folks in the room that happen to have the same vehicle themselves. I tried hard to get this chat room with the backing of alot of people and would hate to see it get flushed. I will put up the funds to keep it going if I was allowed to. It is the best chat system I have ever seen. THERE is only one downfall I must add>> Out of all those cute action smileys, there is no airplane or heli icon. Oh well. I also use a local chatroom in a forum for the city I live in and am talking the owner into a FlashChat system. He likes it and we are getting our current users to update their AdobeFlashPlayer before they get hung, like I was. LMFAO. anyway, I updated and I can now use our chat here while at work.

I'll take your advice on it, we'll see what happens. I just didn't want it to go away because it's not getting used, it has real merit to part of WF.

singingperry
02-26-2010, 08:49 AM
is the live chat text only or is there live audio like Skype?