PDA

View Full Version : Will my Flutterby Fly?

sobamaflyer
10-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Well, I was goofing off yesterday. I've been reading about foamies and wanted to try my hand at it. I went to Wally World and bought some of that paper covered Depron. I made a "Flutterby" from plans off of www.foamfly.com (http://www.foamfly.com) (looked easy enough).

Well, since I was just tinkering I decided to take the internals from my Aerobird Challenger and see if I could make the little thing fly. I reversed the rotation of the motor, attached the control board to the top just in front of the fin and hung the 7-cell batt from the underside.

I chose to leave the paper (cardboard?) on the depron since it seemed to add so much structural rigidity compared to a piece I tested taking it off. It was blowing a steady 18mph wind yesterday so there was no way I was going to get a flight test in. I weighed it and it comes in at about 14.75 oz (420g?) Will this thing ever get off the ground?

Having gone down this path from an earlier thread that lead me to plans for an STC trainer I've actually taken care in cutting out the pieces for that bird and would like to do it up right, should I strip the paper? Has anyone here built one and can lead me to proper running gear for it?

Thanks for continued help from this place :)

Travis

sobamaflyer
10-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Well, I guess I've answered my own question, Franken-Flutter is too heavy. It glides as long as my toss but drops from the sky after that. Mows the grass rather nicely though :).

so is the short answer I need lighter weight electronics, battery, and airframe?

frvrngn
10-26-2005, 08:28 PM
It looks nice though! I want to try a foamy over this winter. I should have enough spare parts laying around to make one out of FFF. Do you have any std electronics to throw at it? I think with a cheapo lightweight BL setup like a cdrom or bp21 mounted to your stick would help it along. Or you can try a smaller brushed motor with a gearbox swinging a large prop like the Slo-V and keep your electronics on there. Battery is looking pretty large on there as well. Have any smaller ones to try without going LiPo?

Of course, I could be talking out my rear since I have never tried one of these foamies yet either!

sobamaflyer
10-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks :), I don't have any extra goodies for it yet but that's the next step, I'll get a couple micro-servos, a gearbox'd motor and a lipo but this was a tinkering experiment (that failed :D) using that I had around.

kuzikood
10-30-2005, 11:00 PM
well i made a 200% flutterby and it flys better than anyplane in my hanger its made out of 1/2'' blue foam board available at any building supply store for about 10bucks in a 4foot by 8foot sheet.now if you add a cell (go from a 7 cell to a 8 cell battery )frankenflutter will probably fly...the flutterby doesent generate much lift so you have to fly it by motor so the more juice ya put to it the better it will fly heres a pic of mine with my wife holding it btw she is 5'4'' so this thing is huge