PDA

View Full Version : Crap!!!

redneckflyer
06-13-2007, 05:09 AM
i feel like an idiot, i was flying my slow stick this evening and it was perfect weather so thus my plane decides land 50 feet up in a tree and it had my best battery in it a $40 thunder power 900mah 10C lipo battery. turns out they dont even make this battery anymore. the best battery for its size EVER!

and me and my dad tried everything. throwing things at it, we even tried useing a bow fishing rig to try to shake it out of the tree. and then the arrow got stuck in the tree and the line broke off the arrow then it got dark.

now we've got a arrow and a slow stick stuck up in the tree with half a wing and to top it all off my irreplacible $40 lipo battery still plugged in and i cant do anything about it till tomorrow.:< im an idiot!:sad:

sorry for the boring story, i guess its the only way for me to let off some steam.

Airhead
06-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Hey Redneck,
Sorry to hear about your misfortune... Maybe it will get a little windy tonight and help you out a little...Hope you are able to get it down..

CHELLIE
06-13-2007, 05:55 AM
Hi, try to glue some twine to a baseball, and throw it at the plane, it might hang up on the plane and you might be able to get it that way, Good luck to you, Chellie

syberjunkie
06-13-2007, 01:36 PM
I like using a 10" Crescent wrench, good weight, fairly streamlined, and a nice built in hole in one end. But in the end I usually have to climb, but watch out for poison ivy!!!

Don Sims
06-13-2007, 01:53 PM
PVC pipes work well for me. They are very flexible but can reach up there. The crescent pipe idea's a good one!

skiman762
06-13-2007, 01:55 PM
the bummer is the bec is going to kill the lipo

skiman762
06-13-2007, 01:59 PM
PVC pipes work well for me. They are very flexible but can reach up there. The crescent pipe idea's a good one!

Been their have we Don :Q
you don't seem read about all these tree landings on the slimmer forum wonder what is in trees the attracts lectrics and not slimmers ??

although I did see a nice vid of a slimmer war bird go WOT through a tree the motor and some confetti came out the other side :<

redneckflyer
06-13-2007, 03:29 PM
the bummer is the bec is going to kill the lipo
thank God i dont have a bec, its just battery to esc to receiver.

i still think it will suck the lipo battery too low, if i get any of it back the performance will be near to nothing:{

Grasshopper
06-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Been their have we Don :Q
you don't seem read about all these tree landings on the slimmer forum wonder what is in trees the attracts lectrics and not slimmers ??

although I did see a nice vid of a slimmer war bird go WOT through a tree the motor and some confetti came out the other side :<

Way back when I was in slimers, our field had a tree on the north end that sucked its share of slimers into it. I watched a beautiful 60" Focke Wulf go right through the middle of it (well, almost through it) on its maiden take off, Totally destroyed it.

redneckflyer
06-13-2007, 03:36 PM
sence the arrow from the bowfishing rig is not very high up i think we will try to retrieve it and try that again except tie a strong rope to the string once we get the string up there and get the rope up there and if anything break the limb out of the tree from were it is hanging from.

redneckflyer
06-13-2007, 03:41 PM
by the way this is not the first time ive had a airplane stuck up in a tree.
would'nt you agree that trees have some kinda magnetic attraction to airplanes. lol

gfdengine204
06-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Perhaps you could get one of those super big sling shots that shoot tennis balls (used to play fetch with Fido). That might have a little better aimability and a little more OOMPH to get the plane down.

Also, your ESC should have a BEC built in. But after this much time, your LiPo is prolly toast. Too bad too, it was a good one. :(

Tinman
06-13-2007, 04:28 PM
I've treed my Super Cub many times, your right redneck they are magnetic.

USAPatriot
06-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Bummer, Redneck. My last tree job I had to climb up a slope AND use 20 feet of collapsible pool cleaning pole. If I'd been 30 years younger and not disabled I would have just climbed up and grabbed it. I hope you get it back before some kid eyeballs it. -Rod-

Saucerguy2
06-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Time to take out your fishing pole, put on a decent sinker and start casting away to get it out of the tree, you should have plenty of extra fishing line in case you miss and/or get the sinker stuck in the wrong spot.

I am too paranoid around tree's to fly near them, there is a little park that's just big enough if I were to be bold to fly at just a few blocks away from me, even though it's tempting, it has tree's lining the entire area and in my early days, I did fly there a few times only to play get the plane out of the tree game.

redneckflyer
06-14-2007, 01:43 AM
well we got the plane out of the tree, and everything ok except the wing. it seems that the battery is recovering quite nicely when we got the battery home we slowly got it up to 9.6v with a peak charger and its on the lipo charger charging slowly. so i think it is going to be alright.

hey tinman,
what kind of super cub do you have?

Spencer J
06-14-2007, 03:06 AM
30-06 or a 12 gauge with a dear slug or something works well for blasting the branch out of the way

Saucerguy2
06-14-2007, 03:23 AM
Now, that's going to extreems to get your plane out of the tree, I don't think I've heard that one before. ha ha :)

Laggard
06-14-2007, 07:15 PM
I tried the old throw stuff at it routine the last time my e-starter ended up in a tree. By the time I was through I'd managed to get a 2x4, windshield scraper and a dog tie-put stake stuck in the tree also.

Eventually went a "purchased" a 25 foot paint roller extension. It worked and I kept the receipt. Someday I'm going to create a telescoping 50 foot pole that doesn't flop around. The baseball with fishing line idea is pretty good also.

FlyingMonkey
06-14-2007, 07:36 PM
What you need to buy is....

they have those tennis ball slingshot/launchers for dogs. Take a tennis ball, poke two holes in it on opposite sides, and run some string through it, and tie it off. Then coil your line, and launch the ball behind your plane.

No, I haven't tried this, I just thought of it. Someone needs to let me know how it works, because, I never get MY planes stuck in trees (none that I can find at least...)

brnyrbbl
06-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Simple solution.... Pick up a small chainsaw and cut the tree down. You not only get your plane back, but the tree won't be there to "eat" your plane next time! J/K!! :Q

Laggard
06-14-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm thinking about buying a monkey and training it to climb and retrieve planes. I can then rent him out on an as needed basis to retrieve planes. $50. $25 for planes 16 ounces or less.

Laggard
06-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Simple solution.... Pick up a small chainsaw and cut the tree down. You not only get your plane back, but the tree won't be there to "eat" your plane next time! J/K!! :Q

I'd always rejected that idea until the last time I got stuck. I was so pissed I was ready to rent a chainsaw.

gfdengine204
06-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Perhaps you could get one of those super big sling shots that shoot tennis balls (used to play fetch with Fido). That might have a little better aimability and a little more OOMPH to get the plane down.

What you need to buy is....

they have those tennis ball slingshot/launchers for dogs. Take a tennis ball, poke two holes in it on opposite sides, and run some string through it, and tie it off. Then coil your line, and launch the ball behind your plane.

Seems you and I have the right idea..... :)

FlyingMonkey
06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Seems you and I have the right idea..... :)

shucks, busted for not reading ALL the posts :silly:

gfdengine204
06-14-2007, 09:18 PM
shucks, busted for not reading ALL the posts :silly:

But I tried to do it in such a nice way.....;-)

Bill G
06-15-2007, 06:18 PM
i feel like an idiot, i was flying my slow stick this evening and it was perfect weather so thus my plane decides land 50 feet up in a tree and it had my best battery in it a $40 thunder power 900mah 10C lipo battery. turns out they dont even make this battery anymore. the best battery for its size EVER!

and me and my dad tried everything. throwing things at it, we even tried useing a bow fishing rig to try to shake it out of the tree. and then the arrow got stuck in the tree and the line broke off the arrow then it got dark.

now we've got a arrow and a slow stick stuck up in the tree with half a wing and to top it all off my irreplacible $40 lipo battery still plugged in and i cant do anything about it till tomorrow.:< im an idiot!:sad:

sorry for the boring story, i guess its the only way for me to let off some steam.
I'm a certified expert at this. ::o Here's the best methods:

Method 1: Tie a thin, but strong twine to a roughly 2" x 8" stick that has weight. When you get it thrown up to lock in the branch, or a nearby branch, start shaking the tree. Now there's science to this.:Q If you find the three's natural frequency of sway, you can generate a wave, like the swimming pool wave generator, that will get the tree swaying like its in a hurricane.

Method 2: Dissasemble every, and I mean EVERY mop, broom, and paint pole in the house. Duct tape them together at the site to make your picking pole.
Here's 2 other tips for this. First, get some 3/8" to 1/2" round stock for the end of the picker, like your spruce wing spar stock. This will allow you to extend your picking rod by 10 or 15 feet, without adding to the weight. The duct tape is only but so strong, and the end starts to get heavy, swaying like a tall tree in the wind.
Second tip is to bring a 16 foot ladder. This can be cheesily bungeed to your car roof in a quick hurry, and get you back to the site in no time flat. It also gives you an additional 16 feet or more, if you can get up another branch or so. The combo of the pole and the ladder height have got me up to 60 feet with ease. Just did it a week ago.

The lipo: I brought back the TP PL 3s-1320 and its putting out full power on the wattmeter. It went flat dead overnight. I brought it back with a cheap wall charger, out on the back porch. I was surprised to see the charge rate staying at around a low 300mA, all the way up to the 10+ volts that I brought it up to, before finishing on the lipo charger. I'm convinced that it could have charged it to its near peak with no problem, until the lipo hits the point where it wants the current dropped for constant voltage charging. That's how to start a lipo fire.

brnyrbbl
06-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Or.... maybe you can get Kev to bring a Hook and Ladder over!

gfdengine204
06-15-2007, 08:18 PM
Now yer thinking, Barney!

redneckflyer
06-16-2007, 11:16 PM
well i got a wing and put the slow stick back together and working again. hopefully ill get to fly it this evening.