PDA

View Full Version : Control Line to electric

daver
10-28-2005, 02:03 AM
I am new here...Has anybody converted an old UC plane like Ringmaster or Flight Streak to electric???

If anybody sells stuff like that I would be interested.

Dave

jonnyjetprop
10-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Check out the AMA mag Model Aviation. They had an article on how it was done. They are using a timer that ties into the speed control.

John

buzzbomber
10-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Not really sure about U/C conversions of that size, but Dick Sarpolus did a few articles recently in Flying Models about electric U/C. His stuff was 1/2A stunt conversions, IIRC.

Matt Kirsch
10-29-2005, 07:44 AM
I don't see why it would be a problem, except for the ESC control, of course. Reading the AMA magazine, Model Aviation, I see how some UC pilots cheat and use R/C car radio controls strapped to their belts for certain functions. That'd be the easy way out here.

I also recently came across an inexpensive "servo exerciser," which seems to be a simple dial doohickey that connects to the servo. You might be able to rig something up with a 3-line system and a spring for return to idle. I'll look around and see if I can find it again. It was either in model aviation or quiet flyer.

Greg Covey
10-29-2005, 11:57 PM
You can buy the C/L timer designed by Sergio Zigras at JMP in France.
http://www.jmp-solutions.com/produits_en.php?page=minuterie_vc

Everthing else is pure electric flight parts; brushless motors, Lithium packs, etc.

bobgroh
12-31-2006, 09:52 PM
Check out the AMA mag Model Aviation. They had an article on how it was done. They are using a timer that ties into the speed control.

John

John,

Do you have a month and year for that issue? I am very interested.

Bob

bobgroh
12-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Not really sure about U/C conversions of that size, but Dick Sarpolus did a few articles recently in Flying Models about electric U/C. His stuff was 1/2A stunt conversions, IIRC.

Can you give month and year info for those articles. I would be very interested. Thanks!

Bob

slipstick
01-01-2007, 10:06 AM
You can buy the C/L timer designed by Sergio Zigras at JMP in France.
http://www.jmp-solutions.com/produits_en.php?page=minuterie_vc

Actually that's JMP's own design. Both that and Sergio's different ZTRON design are available from BSD Micro http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/products.cfm?catID=10006

There have been lots of discussions of electric C/L including Bob Hunt's World Championship F2B plane on the Stuka Stunt forum http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php

Steve

ragbag
01-01-2007, 11:56 AM
You can go into the AMA site and do a search for the articles. I believe the one you wold be interested in is the one by Hunt. The class you he competes in has a time limit so he has to have a timer.

AMA: http://www.modelaircraft.org/

.................................................. ......

feathermerchant
01-03-2007, 03:05 AM
My dad and I converted an old Brodak Tanager using an AXI 2820/10 and 3S 4200, Phx 45 and APCE 10X6 or 115.5. I used the jmp timer and set the esc for governor mode. We set the timer throttle for ~5sec laps. It was neat to do loops and 8's wih no change in plane speed due to governor mode.
Same power as a Fox 35 stunt.

buzzbomber
01-03-2007, 03:58 AM
Can you give month and year info for those articles. I would be very interested. Thanks!

Bob

Bob,

Just got back online after a long weekend--I'll try to dig up when I saw those articles, but I can at least tell you was within the last 18 months.

jccrall
01-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Dave and All,

Feathermerchant's post sounds like the best bet so far but I've never tried electric power. UC has so dropped from favor that it is hard get much response - especially from a forum directed mainly toward RC electric flight.

I've got a couple of Ringmasters that it might be fun to convert. There is a city park two blocks away where I could probably fly (not with the old Fox 35s). So, if by chance anyone has actually matched up an electric setup with a Ringmaster I would like to know the details. At 74 I have slowed down a bit and squatting to start a Glow engine is no longer my strong point. Still I would like to fly a few more rounds before I toss in the towel. :D

John AMA 52183

bobgroh
01-09-2007, 05:09 AM
Dave and All,

Feathermerchant's post sounds like the best bet so far but I've never tried electric power. UC has so dropped from favor that it is hard get much response - especially from a forum directed mainly toward RC electric flight.

I've got a couple of Ringmasters that it might be fun to convert. There is a city park two blocks away where I could probably fly (not with the old Fox 35s). So, if by chance anyone has actually matched up an electric setup with a Ringmaster I would like to know the details. At 74 I have slowed down a bit and squatting to start a Glow engine is no longer my strong point. Still I would like to fly a few more rounds before I toss in the towel. :D

John AMA 52183
Sound's like we are both in the same boat, more or less, although you have me by 8 years. I would love to get back to CL flying but trying to hassle a glow engine is so ... so... old-fashioned! Plus it is noisy. Plus (I hope) that I can figure out a simple way to launch the plane myself without needing a helper. Plus electric sounds like such a neat and challenging application! It is being done (e.g. feathermerchant and others) but it does seem to be a bit pricey. I do have a friend who is into electric RC planes and I may be able to get some of his older stuff to try out. Going to try converting a old profile first (takes a 19 to 25 glow). There aren't many of us but, what the heck. Keep us updated if you try your Ringmaster conversion.

buzzbomber
01-09-2007, 03:19 PM

Bob

Bob, finally found it. One was the "BP Special" by Dick Sarpolus, published in Flying Models, April 2006. You may also want to check the May 2006 issue. The last one I found was Dick's article "Electric Control Line? Sure!" in the May 2005 issue. Good info in all those. Hope it helps.

bobgroh
01-10-2007, 02:57 AM
Bob, finally found it. One was the "BP Special" by Dick Sarpolus, published in Flying Models, April 2006. You may also want to check the May 2006 issue. The last one I found was Dick's article "Electric Control Line? Sure!" in the May 2005 issue. Good info in all those. Hope it helps.

THANK YOU! I'll hop off and try to run those down. Your help is greatly appreciation:)

feathermerchant
01-10-2007, 03:46 AM
The Tananger is a profile Fox35 Stunt ship so an AXI 2820/10 on 3S with an 11X5.5 or 10X6 should work great on the 35 size Ringmaster. My dad actually ran the APCE 10X6 (I think) on the Fox long enough to verify the same RPM as on the AXI 2820/10 So this is a really good substitute.
To mount it, we took some Al angle and drilled one leg for the 4X40 screws then the other leg for the motor. I velcroed the speed control and battery to the fuselage to get CG and wrapped a 2 sided velcro strap around the fuselage to hold the battery. The JMP timer allows you to program a delay from the time the button is pushed until the motor starts. That would allow you to walk to the handle. You can also rig a switch to the elevator to trigger the timer with full up or down. The timer sets the flight time and even burls the motor twice before shutting down.

Dave and All,

John AMA 52183

jccrall
01-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Thanks Feathermerchant,

I'm gathering parts now and hope to be in the air in a month or two. I'll post the results after I get something going.

John :)

feathermerchant
01-13-2007, 01:50 AM
Sadly the tanager has not survived my dad's imbalance. He crashed it at VSC in Tuscon a couple of years ago.
I have a Baby Clown and a small CDRom motor...

jccrall
06-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Recently I have completed a conversion of a Ringmaster to electric. The components I used are listed below. I purchased most of them from China because they are so much less expensive but documentation and specifications are meager or absent. I was able to get programming information for the ESC from the internet. I have posted conversion information on other control line forums the Brotherhood of the Ring Forum for one http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info (http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info/). You may need to register on these forums to view those posts. It is a really nice flying plane and I will attach a few photos to show the conversion.

John

Parts from: UnitedHobbies.com (China)

ITEM
GWS Electro prop 254x152 (10 x 6) $0.80
HexTronic 2200 maH 3S 11.1 volt 20-30C Lipoly Battery $32.53
Deans Style T-Connectors 10 pairs $7.08
HXT 42-40A 1050kv 35A Brushless outrunner motor $29.78
TP W30A Brushless Speed Control $15.95
JB 1100 Digital Smart Lipo/NiM Balancing Battery Charger $39.95 (I would suggest a more powerful charger for faster recharging of the battery)
Subtotal $126.09
Shipping $28.61
Total $154.70

Parts from: BSD Micro RC (bsdmicrorc.com)
ITEM
JMP Control Line Timer $30.00
Subtotal $30.00
Shipping $4.05
Total $34.05

Parts for Conversion Grand Total $188.75

bobgroh
06-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Wonderful job, John. The pictures and all the details on what you used (and the prices!) are greatly appreciated. I'm still swamped by other tasks and have had no time to tackle my conversions. There is no doubt that electric UC is very do-able and we are seeing more and more examples. All of which are adding to a knowledge base of how to do it.

Again thanks for your contribution!

Bob

max-nix
06-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi John
How long does the Ringmaster fly on the HexTronic 2200 maH 3S 11.1 volt 20-30C Lipoly Battery? How many amps does the setup pull static?

Thanks
Bob F

jccrall
06-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Bob G., Thanks for the praise. This has been a lot of fun converting and flying my Ringmaster!!

Bob F., I do not know exactly how long the 2200 battery will fly my Ringmaster with my setup. That is because I have the timer set for 2 minute flight time. I get two flights and the one time I tried for a third flight I got about one minute before the ESC shut the motor down. I would guess that I should get around five minutes from one charge. The motor pulls around 25 amps with the prop that I am using.

I will set the timer for six minutes for my next outing and see if my estimate is correct. Then I will post back here to let you know what I find out. I could just run a bench test but I feel that the motor unloads in flight and that may make a difference in the amps being pulled in flight.

John

jccrall
06-07-2008, 02:19 PM
For what it is worth, I get between 5 and 6 minutes (depending on the RPM and prop I use) with this setup. I have re-kitted this plane at least five times and have redesigned the motor mount (This is covered in the brotherhoodofthering.info forum).

I am now building a 23 -24 oz S-1 Ringmaster which should be competitive in "Old Time Stunt" if electric power is allowed. I guess that electric power kind of defeats the purpose of "Old Time" where a bonus is given for use of gas engines with spark ignition for power.

Anyway, electric power control line flying is great fun and you can fly in locations where an internal combustion engine powered plane would get you tossed out pronto.

John

ragbag
06-14-2008, 03:34 AM
Sound's like we are both in the same boat, more or less, although you have me by 8 years. I would love to get back to CL flying but trying to hassle a glow engine is so ... so... old-fashioned! Plus it is noisy. Plus (I hope) that I can figure out a simple way to launch the plane myself without needing a helper. Plus electric sounds like such a neat and challenging application! It is being done (e.g. feathermerchant and others) but it does seem to be a bit pricey. I do have a friend who is into electric RC planes and I may be able to get some of his older stuff to try out. Going to try converting a old profile first (takes a 19 to 25 glow). There aren't many of us but, what the heck. Keep us updated if you try your Ringmaster conversion.

Back in the '60's I flew control line by myself. Worked the midnight shft all the time. Had a Flying Fool biplane, it had a nice landing gear. Had a third line with a nail connected to it. Put the nail through a loop that was connected to the tail of the plane and it was connected to a peg that was driven into the ground at an angle. When I was ready, pull the pin and it would take off. Figured that out when the wife got tired of going to the park with me.

.................................................. ...................................

ragbag
06-14-2008, 03:41 AM
Recently I have completed a conversion of a Ringmaster to electric. The components I used are listed below. I purchased most of them from China because they are so much less expensive but documentation and specifications are meager or absent. I was able to get programming information for the ESC from the internet. I have posted conversion information on other control line forums the Brotherhood of the Ring Forum for one http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info (http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info/). You may need to register on these forums to view those posts. It is a really nice flying plane and I will attach a few photos to show the conversion.

John

Parts from: UnitedHobbies.com (China)

ITEM
GWS Electro prop 254x152 (10 x 6) $0.80
HexTronic 2200 maH 3S 11.1 volt 20-30C Lipoly Battery $32.53
Deans Style T-Connectors 10 pairs $7.08
HXT 42-40A 1050kv 35A Brushless outrunner motor $29.78
TP W30A Brushless Speed Control $15.95
JB 1100 Digital Smart Lipo/NiM Balancing Battery Charger $39.95 (I would suggest a more powerful charger for faster recharging of the battery)
Subtotal $126.09
Shipping $28.61
Total $154.70

Parts from: BSD Micro RC (bsdmicrorc.com)
ITEM
JMP Control Line Timer $30.00
Subtotal $30.00
Shipping $4.05
Total $34.05

Parts for Conversion Grand Total $188.75

I like your motor mount. Have a Flight Streak waiting for it's turn on the bench. He is going to be full RC. Have to put some thought in the tail feathers. It has the rudder already mounted and will need to be set straight and squared verticaly. Remove the leadouts and the tip weight in the outboard wing.

.................................................. ...........................

CHELLIE
06-14-2008, 04:02 AM
I like your motor mount. Have a Flight Streak waiting for it's turn on the bench. He is going to be full RC. Have to put some thought in the tail feathers. It has the rudder already mounted and will need to be set straight and squared verticaly. Remove the leadouts and the tip weight in the outboard wing.

.................................................. ...........................

That should be neet to see fly, I have flown the JR Flight Streak, and the baby Flight streak 1/2A, the Buster, Voodo wing, Ring Master, with a fox 40, mcCoy 35 red head, the Stunt Master and so on :D please post pics of your flight streak build, that will sure bring back fond memories, Chellie

ragbag
06-14-2008, 05:50 AM
When I had someone to launch for me the Flight Streak was my go-to plane and the Voodoo was my combat plane. Enya 29 was on all my planes except the Voodo, Fox 40 combat special with pressure system.
Sunday afternoon was the Sterling Flying Fool.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CHELLIE
06-14-2008, 06:10 AM
When I had someone to launch for me the Flight Streak was my go-to plane and the Voodoo was my combat plane. Enya 29 was on all my planes except the Voodo, Fox 40 combat special with pressure system.
Sunday afternoon was the Sterling Flying Fool.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That sounds like fun :ws: I used bladder tanks too, I liked the TD 049 in a foam wing for combat, with a 5x3 prop, I am getting a little to old now for fast U Control :D I will be 54 next month, but i still look 29 ???? :roll: ;-) Take care, Chellie

ragbag
06-14-2008, 03:04 PM
That sounds like fun :ws: I used bladder tanks too, I liked the TD 049 in a foam wing for combat, with a 5x3 prop, I am getting a little to old now for fast U Control :D I will be 54 next month, but i still look 29 ???? :roll: ;-) Take care, Chellie

Understand fast, my Vodoo was clocked at 125mph. We flew on 52" lines. Dade county, Florida stopped us from flying in the parks and then set it up where we could fly at one of the local football fields, two circles on 100 yards meant shorter lines. Couldn't do that now, I'll be 72 in December. Inside I'm 29 and still try to keep up, just at a slower pace.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CHELLIE
06-15-2008, 03:43 AM
Understand fast, my Vodoo was clocked at 125mph. We flew on 52" lines. Dade county, Florida stopped us from flying in the parks and then set it up where we could fly at one of the local football fields, two circles on 100 yards meant shorter lines. Couldn't do that now, I'll be 72 in December. Inside I'm 29 and still try to keep up, just at a slower pace.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well your doing great for being 72 :D The reason I like this Hobby, is that it helps to keep me Young :D Take care, Chellie