PDA

View Full Version : gws esc's, mounting heat sink question

Eggvoel
10-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Just received a new GWS ICS480Li ESC. Unsure about mounting the enclosed heat sink. The directions say cut the shrink tubing and mount the heat sink on the name plate. I haven't tried to hook it up yet, but will that cover up the LED indicator? Mount how? double sided tape? Seems to me the heat sink should be outboard of the fuselage and if I cover up the faceplate then the other side of the ESC would be taped to the fuselage and I would see no LED indicator. Appreciate any comments. Thanks. Larry

Twmaster
10-29-2005, 02:44 AM
Larry,

Have you checked the fit of the heat sink to the ESC? It may not cover the LED. I have not yet seen the li version of that ESC but the earlier version had double sticky tape on the back of the heat sink. As for mounting creativity just might be the rule. ;)

roccobro
10-29-2005, 03:01 AM
I don't know if it will block the LED, but I "got creative" on my last GWS ESC. I took the supplied shrink wrap and made gill like slits in it to match the HS fins. When shrunk, they slipped down into the "valleys" of the HS ridges. And I used some conductive material. Not sure if it was some supplied foam looking stuff, or some paste I have.

Do the instructions say anything about the side to mount to? It should be to a flat area, that gets the heat. Are the FET's on one side?

Justin

Eggvoel
10-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the fast responce Mike & Justin. These are the exact instructions with wrong spelling included: "For bettery efficiency and maximum performance we would recommend to install the heat sink (supplied). Cut the shrink tubing and attach the head sink on the name plate (ICS-400,600) or power MOS FET (ICS-300-480)/"
Mine is the 480 so I gather the sink would go on the side where all the components are located? FET's, what does that stand for? The LED is on the nameplate side. I left the heat sink off for now and went flying a few times today and everything worked fine. No switch to turn ESC on and off like my last ESC had. Turn on the transmitter with throttle off and then plug in battery to set the throttle at the low position. Works fine.
Wouldn't the ESC be better off without any heat shrink around it to dissapate the heat? Thanks, Larry. Frosty morning flying here in Maine.