PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a 2500mah Li-Poly Transmitter battery from Common sense RC

Jacket Man
10-29-2005, 08:18 AM
We at Common Sense RC have produced our first Li-poly 2500mah - 11.1 volt pack designed to fit in all Hitec, Futaba, Airtronics and JR radios that use the "square pack" (30mm x 30mm x 100mm). Compared to the 600mah pack that comes with many transmitters, this pack will allow you to fly almost 4 times longer.

We introduced these at the iHobby Expo in Los Angeles last weekend and the response was overwhelming. Personnel from both Hitec and Airtronics purchased packs from us for their personal use!

To charge the pack, we cut the round connector off the charger that was supplied with our transmitter and spliced it onto a patch cord made to connect to our Triton charger. This allows you to charge the transmitter through the charging receptacle as you would the original battery supplied with the transmitter.

Packs can be purchased directly from our website or from your local hobby store.

http://www.commonsenserc.com/commonsenserc/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=32

We are currently working on a flat pack for other transmitters such as the Hitec Focus and other transmitters.

We also offer an inexpensive ($13 retail) 1 amp wall charger with "auto shut-off" that will charge this pack in 2.5 hours.

qban_flyer
10-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Packs can be purchased directly from our website or from your local hobby store.

http://www.commonsenserc.com/commonsenserc/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=32

We also offer an inexpensive ($13 retail) 1 amp wall charger with "auto shut-off" that will charge this pack in 2.5 hours.

Very, very nice. I really like it.

Futaba 8 "Super" TXs have a 'regular' Futaba plug at the end of the battery pack, which is easily accesible from the back of its case. Wouldn't be better and easier to remove the pack and charge it with Triton outside the TX at the recommended rate (1A) stipulated your pack's label?

Jacket Man
10-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Personally, I like to convenience of charging through the receptacle outside the transmitter, but either way works.

Mike
http://www.CommonSenseRC.com

bsoder
10-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Do you recommend taking the pack out of your transmitter every time you're not flying and storing it in a bunker, like we pretty much all do with flight packs?

Jacket Man
10-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Do you recommend taking the pack out of your transmitter every time you're not flying and storing it in a bunker, like we pretty much all do with flight packs?
I leave the pack in the transmitter all the time just like the original Nicad pack. There are a couple of reasons. These packs are not under the kind of stress that we place on packs used to run the motor and fly our planes. The discharge rate is very low. Almost no heat is generated. Also, the chance of fire due to physical pack damage doesn't exist with the pack in your radio. Of course, you can remove it each time you're done flying, but I don't think it's neccessary.

Mike
http://www.CommonSenseRC.com

raleigh3dflyer
01-10-2006, 05:36 AM
Anymore feedback on this pack... These common sense rc guys seem really good and I've heard nothing but good things..Thinking about one of the tx packs to replace my old worn 600mah and a couple lipos for my budding collection of electrics

afpe45
01-10-2006, 10:55 PM
what about the voltage diferance 9.6v to 11.1v ?.

afpe45.

meatball
01-10-2006, 11:29 PM
There is a voltage difference, but the Tx can handle it all the same. It just means that there is NO voltage alarm, because LiPOs dont (or at least shouldnt) hit 8.4V so you have to check the voltage and make sure you identify when the battery is running low, but with such a huge battery you wouldnt need to check it but at the begginning and end of flight sessions.

afpe45
01-11-2006, 12:43 AM
@meatball.
my voltage checker only does 4.2v & 6v reciever packs,:( put me on the track of a decent voltage checker:D Please.

afpe45:rolleyes:

Nobert
01-11-2006, 12:46 AM
afpe45
What's your budget look like?

afpe45
01-11-2006, 01:11 AM
@Nobert.
Whatever it takes within reason, I am "retired" so take it from there.
I live in the UK by the way so don't confuse me.:D

afpe45.:cool:

meatball
01-11-2006, 01:29 AM
Well, if you dont have a computer radio that tells you the specific voltage, you could just get a digital volt meter from a hardware store or other. There very very cheap and are usually multifunction. Wont tell you the health of the pack like the 4.8 and 6 volt battery checker you have, but it will tell you the voltage of the pack. Most are yellow and look like the link below. To check the voltage on the plane, you'd turn the dial three clicks to the left, which would put you on either 200 DCV (direct current volts) giving you the voltage to one decimal (XX.X) or to 20 DCV which is to two decimals (XX.X.X)

http://slofly.com/cart/product_info.php?cPath=0_27_59&products_id=589

Those meters (these tons, all the same features, just different brands) can also read amps for your powere systems, and they have a link on the page to show you how to check it, it goes only up to 10 amps, good for small electrics, otherwise the fuse blows.

However, to gauge the health of the pack, you'd want (but dont need) a battery checker like the one you have which puts a load onto the pack to make sure it will put out current. I dont have one myself, instead I guage pack health by how much charge it takes. Anything that is lower then 80 percent of its original health I put out of use unless I overhaul it and replace all the tabs (doesnt apply to LiPO's)

elecairfan
01-11-2006, 01:53 AM
what about the voltage diferance 9.6v to 11.1v ?.

afpe45.
Considering the tx voltage difference, my j.r. happily works with a readout of 11.8 v. on a freshly charged 900m.ah. pack. Surely this also leaves an adequate mfrs. safety margin? Li Po's? Good idea. Pete

afpe45
01-11-2006, 08:00 AM
@meatball.
someone has offered me a futaba fieldforce8 and someone else has offered me a fieldforce9, these are computer radios, have they got voltage readout ?.
I will get a meter anyway it will be usefull.

afpe45.

RC-Tester
01-11-2006, 08:14 AM
@meatball.
someone has offered me a futaba fieldforce8 and someone else has offered me a fieldforce9, these are computer radios, have they got voltage readout ?.
FF9: definitely
FF8: I think so - but check

HTH

Rod

afpe45
01-11-2006, 08:32 AM
thank you all.

FF9 and lipo it is .;) Also meter:D all I need now is some money,

oops!! I tripped on that nasty pavement:rolleyes: :D .

afpe45.

Matt Kirsch
01-11-2006, 05:34 PM
The FF8 is what we would call the "8U" here in the States as I recall. It's definitely got a voltage readout.

Now, earlier in this thread there was some concern over having to pull the pack after every flying session and store it in a bunker. While that's not necessarily a bad thing to do, it's akin to checking the oil in your car's engine each and every time you go to start it. Very thorough, very diligent, but unless you suspect that the engine has a major problem, completely unnecessary.

LiPolys almost always fail on the charger. There is not one single, solitary case of a LiPoly, in good condition, with no prior damage, going into thermal runaway (either smoking itself or actually catching fire) sitting there, by itself, on a shelf, with no external stimulus.

If you didn't crash the pack, smash the pack, or mash the pack, and it's not on the charger, then you have no reason to fear the pack or keep it in a battery bunker all the time. Save the bunker space for charging packs, and packs you pull out of the wreckage.

I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I Am.... :D

jlachow
01-19-2006, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't use these batteries in a transmitter unless you have a programmable auto shut off set to a specific time, say 10 minutes. I just happened to have been setting up a new plane with my JR 10X over the weekend and forgot to turn off the radio. It happens. So if you don't have an auto shutoff timer that automatically turns off your radio after x amount of minutes of inactivity, you are at risk of losing the Lipo pack. From a safety standpoint, I'd think you'd be better off with Lithium Ions instead. After all, we are not addressing a weight issue here<g>.

meatball
01-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the forums, more and more people are joining every day. Just thought Id clear some things up though.

LiPo's dont vent because of an over discharge, so in the case of a transmitter, you are just as safe as with Li-Ion. Leaving your TX off when not in use should be part of your routine (unless you fly alone as I sometimes do). I would kill myself if I knocked a few planes out at the field for that reason. You should have a routine so you dont interfere with someone else's airplane. A turned on TX at a full field is in my opinion more dangerous the the battery chemistry inside. We arent having a weight problem, but rather a capacity problem, and lipo's are tiny for their energy density. If I could afford, Id sure as heck buy one of those 2500 mAH packs, way better then my 600 one now.

jlachow
01-20-2006, 12:22 AM
Lipos are still easier to physically damage. My point had nothing to do with leaving the transmitter on at the field. I would never do that. In my case it was in my basement while I was setting up control surfaces etc. and other such things. It is very easy to accidently do when your trying to do a mess of things and have other distractions to deal with. I know I've done it at least one or two other times over my 30 plus years in this hobby and the olds nicads just recharged no problem. Frankly, an 1100ma plus capacity which can easily be had in a cheap nicad or nimh is more than sufficient for 99% of the people to have in transmitter capacity. You can always slap it on the charger between flights to extend the day. Frankly, I wish the manufacturers would just put in an 1100ma pack in the first place. Those 600ma packs piss me off too. I just replaced one in a JR9303 and now have to replace one eventually in a DX6. Lipos or Li-ions in a Tx without an auto shutoff feature is just potentially throwing money away.

meatball
01-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Well I see your point, and I think as Li-Ion and Li-Po eventually take over the market and become safer and more stable, radio manufacturers will add an option for a LiPo alarm when the voltage gets low. I think the reason they dont have an auto-shut off period is to prevent accident's with people flying with low voltage to begin with, and if the TX shuts off, they lose the model. I really wish they did have an alarm though for 11V and I think in a few years it will probably be a standard.

Twmaster
01-20-2006, 05:46 AM
While that pack looks like it will do the job I'd like to point out an inexpensive alternative that will allow you to use your current TX charger.

A little back ground first. I recently bought a new Hitec Optic 6 TX. Nice radio, tiny battery (600mA) Since my Optic also came with a Spectra it was for sure hungry for current and would kill a full charged stock pack very quickly. I lost an airplane due to this.

Anyhow, I had a new TX pack made with 2300mA NiMH cells and the correct plug for my Optic for only $27 to my door from cheap battery packs. I use my regular TX charger and could not be happier.

--
Mike N

Rugar
01-20-2006, 06:01 AM
While that pack looks like it will do the job I'd like to point out an inexpensive alternative that will allow you to use your current TX charger.

A little back ground first. I recently bought a new Hitec Optic 6 TX. Nice radio, tiny battery (600mA) Since my Optic also came with a Spectra it was for sure hungry for current and would kill a full charged stock pack very quickly. I lost an airplane due to this.

Anyhow, I had a new TX pack made with 2300mA NiMH cells and the correct plug for my Optic for only $27 to my door from cheap battery packs. I use my regular TX charger and could not be happier.

--
Mike N

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3661

RD Blakeslee
01-20-2006, 12:00 PM
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2221285&postcount=53

Voltage retention between flying sessions is nice to have, but don't leave TX switched on! Been there, done that.

- RD

jlachow
01-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Well I see your point, and I think as Li-Ion and Li-Po eventually take over the market and become safer and more stable, radio manufacturers will add an option for a LiPo alarm when the voltage gets low. I think the reason they dont have an auto-shut off period is to prevent accident's with people flying with low voltage to begin with, and if the TX shuts off, they lose the model. I really wish they did have an alarm though for 11V and I think in a few years it will probably be a standard.

The auto shutoff I am talking about has nothing to do with the voltage. It's been a while since I flew Futaba(9V,9Z), but if my memory is correct one of those radios I had had the capabilty of turning off if it sat idle and no functions were being used. I think I set the shutoff time to 10 or 20 minutes when I had mine. This is the shutoff I am talking about. So if I walked away from my radio in the basement and forgot to turn it off, it would turn itself off since it was sitting idle not being used. Also, if you put the radio away in its case fro the day and left it on it would eventually shut off.

darkside212
05-03-2006, 04:33 PM
I've left my tx on too many times when testing.....doh!
is there an auto cutoff on the 9C? if so how do you set it up?

In regards to the lipo tx pack: Can you put a resistor on it to limit the voltage, or is it unnecessary?
thanks
Paul

Jacket Man
05-17-2007, 02:32 AM
Now that we have thousands of our 2500mAh TX packs in use in the field, we just released a 2800mAh TX pack for use in Airtronics and Futaba radios. A flat pack is work also.

Mike
www.CommonSenseRC.com