PDA

View Full Version : "yippee" Wooooooops

Glacier Girl
06-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Well as some of you know due to med problems I've been out of action for some time, at least flying, still building like crazy though.
Cabin fever has finally won out and last Sunday I just had to try.
Took the old trusty P47 and figured WTH, I'll maiden my YIPPEE version EMI P38. Managed to get the Jug airbourne and flew around and even managed to make a decent landing. So on to the Lightning. Did remember to follow through with pre flight and decided a few taxi runs would be good to check out the steering. Advanced the throttle half way on the first taxi run, tracking nice and straight when a gust of wind hit it nose on. She launched......STRAIGHT UP! Thank the big guy I over powered her. She just climbed vertical until I blipped the elevator to level off. That's when I noticed she was still only at half throttle. Well now if she can do that at half what the heck can she do at WOT. Already was on the upwind side had done a loop and a real pretty slow roll. Hammered the throttle and decided to do a down in the weed strafing run. Banked hard and cranked in the elevator to drop her. She dropped all right. The dang control horn ripped off the elevator. All I could do was level the wings as she went in. Landed on the nose gear, folded it and plowed in. Then just to make it worse she caught something and started cartwheeling. All I could see were parts going everywhere. Head down, walk of shame. Picked up the carnage and returned home. Later I decided to do a post flight inspection. Hmmm, these are all clean breaks, a little CA, some CF rods, couple of props, and a little touch up paint. Yeah I can do it.
Well I did, and tonight she's going back at it. Oh yeah, I replaced the glued to foam control horn with one that will hold a lot more securely.
Wish me luck.

EpoweredRc
06-22-2007, 07:56 PM
OUCH, pretty plane, or well it was, Sorry that happened to you. Hope you get her back in the air soon.

Balil
06-22-2007, 09:42 PM
that looks like my pitts s5a that parkflyers.com named the daredevil.... sooner or later she'll be nothing but epoxy and carbon fibre.

K CLOSE
07-17-2007, 04:10 AM
That was hard to look at GG. Hope and trust the repair will go well.
:roll: Reminded me of how my D-VIII maiden went

Don Sims
07-17-2007, 04:24 AM
OUCH!! Good luck with the repairs GG! Looks like it was a great looking plane!

Crash Test Dummy
07-17-2007, 04:43 AM
Brad,

I hate to see such a pretty plane crashed like that. Hope you got her back together. I didn't know you were out of action due to a medical issue. I hope the best for you. I see this thread was from last month, I hope you are better now. Be strong my brutha!

CTD