PDA

View Full Version : Great Planes Lancair

Aussie E-Flite
06-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Test flew my GP Lancair today.

Beautiful kit, and a beautiful flyer. Very smooth, no vices at all. Stock motor (Speed 400) used with EWatts 2200 mAh 3s LiPo (about 160 watts) and the supplied 9 x 6 prop.

The version we get here in Australia does not come with an ESC or battery, so I can't comment on the flight using all stock gear, but I would imagine it to be a little underpowered with the box specifications.

With the above combo, it flies like a gem! Airborne off the cricket pitch in about 15 metres and landings are scale like with a little speed on approach, then hold the nose up for a mains touch down.

I love it, and I think the CM Pro "40" size Lancair might just be the next project.

Happy flying to all!!

max2112
06-24-2007, 10:57 AM
That's an awesome little plane you got there Keith.
I love the scale look that it has.

How was the kit in respect to the build? Good fit and finish?

Thanks for the great post.
John

alienx
06-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Congratulations on the maiden!!

I have one that is almost finished but I mothballed it because I realized I had no place to take off and land it with the small wheels. I may have to finish it though. Your pics remind me of why I bought it!!

Boomerang
06-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Gorgeous plane Keith. How does it go on the 3 cell lipo? A friend fried his geared speed 400 on 3 cells so I'm curious how yours goes. I checked out the video on the tower site.

Where do you guys fly? My daughter has moved to Bushland Beach north of Townsville & I visit occasionally. John.

gluemaster
06-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Nice job on the maiden. My Lancair came with the speed control, speed 400 motor and gearbox and nimh battery. I tried my first maiden with that setup and was unsucessful. I tossed that power-less system out and now I have a Himax 3510-1100, Great Planes Silver Series 35 amp speed control and a Thunder Power Pro-lite 3s2100 battery swinging an APC 9x7.5 Prop. The second maiden went much better. This plane is a rocket, and flies real smooth as well. I wish I had someone take video of the last flight as the landing was perfect, down on the mains, short roll then down on the nose gear followed by a short roll out. Truely scale-like.

Aussie E-Flite
06-24-2007, 11:18 PM
That's an awesome little plane you got there Keith.
I love the scale look that it has.

How was the kit in respect to the build? Good fit and finish?

Thanks for the great post.
John

Thanks John.

It was a great kit, and the quality was first rate. I have a GP Sportser 25 from GP, and I thought that the Lancair was a far better kit so far as quality goes. The fibreglass fuse is brilliant with a very good finish.

The only tricky part was getting the elevator horn in the right place so that it would not bind on the exit of the fuselage, but I solved that by exiting the pushrod from the side of the fuselage. I didn't hook up the rudder, but used the servo for the nosewheel steering. Flight performance is not effected by the lack of rudder.

Fit and finish of all the other parts was excellent, as was the covering on the flying surfaces. The magnetic attachments for the (large) canopy seem fine and give a positive fix each time. Plenty of room in the fuselage for components and room as well to move the battery around for C of G adjustment.

All in all, I give it the big thumbs up!!

Aussie E-Flite
06-24-2007, 11:23 PM
Gorgeous plane Keith. How does it go on the 3 cell lipo? A friend fried his geared speed 400 on 3 cells so I'm curious how yours goes. I checked out the video on the tower site.

Where do you guys fly? My daughter has moved to Bushland Beach north of Townsville & I visit occasionally. John.

John, I have to do a few more checks on the motor, but so far so good. I generally only need half throttle to maintain flight, so I don't think it is too stressed. I plan to upgrade to a brushless system soon - mainly because I think the brushless motors are so much better in all respects.

We fly at Oak Vally, an outer suburb of Townsville about 15 kms west, on the main road to Charters Towers. Great field, with excellent facilities and a growing band of electric flyers.

Make sure you let me know if you are heading here!

Aussie E-Flite
06-24-2007, 11:26 PM

I have one that is almost finished but I mothballed it because I realized I had no place to take off and land it with the small wheels. I may have to finish it though. Your pics remind me of why I bought it!!

Yep, it does need a smooth surface to ROG from. I reckon if you finish it though, you will find more reasons to fly it than not!! It looks great, and flies great too. I am just about to fit the wheel pants to mine, so I will have to continue on the cricket pitch for now.

I haven't tried a hand launch yet, but I much prefer to take off from the ground where ever I can.

Aussie E-Flite
06-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Nice job on the maiden. My Lancair came with the speed control, speed 400 motor and gearbox and nimh battery. I tried my first maiden with that setup and was unsucessful. I tossed that power-less system out and now I have a Himax 3510-1100, Great Planes Silver Series 35 amp speed control and a Thunder Power Pro-lite 3s2100 battery swinging an APC 9x7.5 Prop. The second maiden went much better. This plane is a rocket, and flies real smooth as well. I wish I had someone take video of the last flight as the landing was perfect, down on the mains, short roll then down on the nose gear followed by a short roll out. Truely scale-like.

Love those nose high, scale approaches and touch downs with tricycle gear!! I too intend to convert to a brushless system, I'll be checking the availability of the motor you have mentioned.

Any chance of some pics showing how you mounted the new motor?

gluemaster
06-25-2007, 01:55 AM
I'll post pics as soon as I take them. I just removed the stock motor and gearbox, enlarged the hole in the center of the fuse where the original motor went through and used the stock mounting holes. The motor mounts using the lower mounting holes on the motor to the cowl side of the fuse and just clears the cowl. The installation of the motor screws was tricky though as the fuse narrows at the front. If you go the Himax route you may want to go with the 3510-1540 as it turns more rpm and prop diameter is limited.

gluemaster
06-25-2007, 02:23 AM
Here are some pics of my installation.

Aussie E-Flite
06-25-2007, 03:19 AM
I'll post pics as soon as I take them. I just removed the stock motor and gearbox, enlarged the hole in the center of the fuse where the original motor went through and used the stock mounting holes. The motor mounts using the lower mounting holes on the motor to the cowl side of the fuse and just clears the cowl. The installation of the motor screws was tricky though as the fuse narrows at the front. If you go the Himax route you may want to go with the 3510-1540 as it turns more rpm and prop diameter is limited.

Thanks heaps. Got the pics too. I will be looking into this very seriously.

yossarian
06-25-2007, 11:59 AM

i'm in the exact same boat. got half way through the build and realized I won't really be able to fly it off the grass. i'd hand launch it, bt afraid to land on the grass and ruin that gorgeous glassed fuse.