PDA

View Full Version : light weight way to fuse components

Eggvoel
10-29-2005, 09:18 PM
In another post I warned about fusing your ESC if it didn't have one. An electrician at work gave me this advice and I am now using it and want to pass it along.
Using the automotive blade type fuses which come in all different types of amperages, use the correct size crimp on female connector to attach to the blade type fuse. The ones I had that fit were both blue and yellow in color so I can't give the exact size. I bought some 15 amp fuses at my local auto parts store and had some connectors at home and I don't know how much it weigh's, but not very much. Larry

Matt Kirsch
11-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Where exactly is the fuse installed, and on what type of power system?

You can fuse between the motor and ESC on a brushed power system, but not a brushless. On a brushless, you'd need to cut two of the three wires at the same time to provide any protection at all, and a simple AUTO-type fuse won't do that.

There's one fundamental flaw with fusing between the battery and ESC, which is the fact that if the fuse blows, you lose control if you're depending on the built-in BEC to power the receiver and servos. Fuse blows in the air, plane goes splat, possibly doing just as much damage to the ESC and motor as burning them up would.

Eggvoel
11-02-2005, 05:10 PM
Matt, I should have clarified that about the fusing. It is on a brushed motor and the fuse is between the ESC and the motor. I lost an ESC becasue it wasn't fused when the motor must have had a direct short and cooked the ESC before I could get the battery disconnected. I understand the better ESC's do have a built in fuse.
Also good to know about the brushless for future reference when I upgrade. Thanks. Larry

savydad
11-19-2005, 07:24 AM
The only esc's I've seen with fuses are the old car/truck ones. I don't know of any plane esc's that have a fuse in them...maybe I'm wrong, and stand corrected if I am, but never seen/heard of internal/external fuses other than added ones.

Todd

ragbag
11-19-2005, 09:52 AM
The yellow and the blue tell you what gauge wire they are to be used with. Can't remember the what gauge these colors represent off hand, but that is what the color code is for.

By George:)